Armo v Steven

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Armo v Steven

So it would seem?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Armo doesn't show enough considering when he was drafted....

we don't have a good record with 1st round draft picks..... :roll:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
degruch
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Armo doesn't show enough considering when he was drafted....

we don't have a good record with 1st round draft picks..... :roll:
...and yet, somehow, it's made no difference at all.

claystreet
Club Player

Ok we have had a look at Armo and hes been doing his job without starring. We have a look at Jack Steven and he matches Armo in his first game. So you rest Armo as hes been taking a few hits playing in and under and tackling, give him a week to breath. You play Steven whos fresher, did his job without starring but again hes fresh and keen also can take a hit lay a tackle and can run and chase. Can also play in and under but i doubt this will be his role.

ace
Saintsational Legend

claystreet wrote:Ok we have had a look at Armo and hes been doing his job without starring. We have a look at Jack Steven and he matches Armo in his first game. So you rest Armo as hes been taking a few hits playing in and under and tackling, give him a week to breath. You play Steven whos fresher, did his job without starring but again hes fresh and keen also can take a hit lay a tackle and can run and chase. Can also play in and under but i doubt this will be his role.
Yes, they can be rotated in and out of the team until one of them proves himself to be clearly superior to the other.
Last edited by ace on Sun 09 May 2010 1:55am, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Armo v Steven

SainterK wrote:So it would seem?
Will have to watch where Steven plays on Monday.

Armo was mainy on the ball doing the hard yakka.

Will be interesting to see if Steven gets some rotations doing that or whether they only use him outside.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

I think this is is Lyon saying to Armo: "Don't get comfortable."

One off week and he can find himself back on the outer - he needs to find some of his hunger back maybe.

I was surprised after he kicked one quarter (??) of our goals on the weekend! :shock:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

thirty-seven!? wrote:I think this is is Lyon saying to Armo: "Don't get comfortable."

One off week and he can find himself back on the outer - he needs to find some of his hunger back maybe.

I was surprised after he kicked one quarter (??) of our goals on the weekend! :shock:
I reckon it saying to Armo that at the moment you are an average player who needs to improve.

lefty
Club Player

Wtf, Armo is a way better player than Stevens.

Sorry, everyone here is talking about Stevens, yet I haven't seen him deliver anything special yet, give him time, but please don't state Stevens is better, that's ridiculous.

I reckon if it wasn't for Armo, we would not have won against Bulldogs, nor some of the other games. He is one of our mid fielders who kicks a goal or two regularly.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

As I said on another thread, Armo is a great tackler, but simply doesn't win enough ball to hold down an in-an-under role. And he isn't quick enough to hold down other roles.

Steven is quicker which means that he might be able to get to the ball first more often. Sure, Armo has a bit more experience, but he hasn't really shone. It happens: some make it, some don't.

Armo can do it: he showed against Freo how well he can play. But once every few weeks won't cut it.I

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

i don't think he's been that bad, but here's armo's year so far in stats.

TOTAL:
94 possessions (71% effective)
- 46 kicks, 48 handballs (0.96 kicks-to-handballs)
- 12 clangers
- 44 contested possessions (47% of possessions)
14 clearances
18 marks
34 tackles
15 inside 50s
2 assists
3 goals 2 behinds

AVERAGES:
15.7 possessions/game
- 7.7 kicks, 8.0 handballs
- 2.0 clangers
- 7.3 cont. possessions/game
2.3 clearances/game
3.0 marks/game
5.7 tackles/game
2.5 inside 50s/game
0.3 assists/game
0.5 goals/game

what's that mean?

16 touches a game is equal 17th in the side and certainly not perfect. he needs to be getting the ball well over 20 times a game. effectiveness rating of 71% is certainly not amazing, either.

not great. but maybe he's a grunt midfielder and it's not so much about possessions. fairly low kick-to-handball ratio as expected of an in-and-under player. tackles are good - 5.7/game puts him up there not too far behind lenny.

but clearances aren't great. 2.3 a game puts him well behind hayes, dal, joey, cj. and jason gram. so that's not ideal. contested possessions - 50% ish is ok, but still not great, and puts him barely in the top 10 for the club.

he kicks goals, yeah. one every two games is decent for a st kilda midfielder. top ten for inside 50s, and ok for assists as well.

overall.

he's been ok going forward but he's not close to an a-grade mid on these stats. he basically needs to double his workrate to get to the lenny hayes level. more running, more possessions, more clearances.

he's not yet 22 so it's certainly doable. but maybe this is another kick up the bum to keep him improving.

claystreet
Club Player

lefty wrote:Wtf, Armo is a way better player than Stevens.

Sorry, everyone here is talking about Stevens, yet I haven't seen him deliver anything special yet, give him time, but please don't state Stevens is better, that's ridiculous.

I reckon if it wasn't for Armo, we would not have won against Bulldogs, nor some of the other games. He is one of our mid fielders who kicks a goal or two regularly.
You must be reading another thread, no one here has stated one is better than the other, yet you say we all have hmm

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Armitage has spent a lot of time on the bench this season too.

Averaging about 65% if that.... My own averaging calculations from viewing the stat each week!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Armo is competing with quite a few for a spot in the side at the moment;

He's a midfielder, so he's competing with; Lenny, Dal, Joey, BJ, CJ, Mini, Gears, Schnieds, Grammy & Jack. Yes, some are inside mids and some are outside mids. He is an inside mid making his competition for a spot being Lenny, Dal, CJ, Mini & Gears.

Lets hope that he rises to the challenges that are now in front of him and gets back into the senior side, and stays there !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

ace
Saintsational Legend

More Ball less tackles.
The simple fact is Luke Ball gets 50% more possessions for the same TOG.
Armitage needs to get the ball first.
Armitage's high tackle count is a result of his opponent being first to the ball.
For that he needs to read the ruck contest better and want to be the guy being tackled more than his opponent.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
goods
Club Player

lefty wrote:Wtf, Armo is a way better player than Stevens.

Who is Stevens??

Steven will be an elite...watch this space

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Really does seem these two are fighting for the same spot?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Really does seem these two are fighting for the same spot?
Steven forward, Armo mid for mine...could have left Steven in this week IMO. Heyne would seem a natural replacement for Steven, but why would you substitute a kid with little experience for a kid with no experience? Sack degruch!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
SainterK wrote:Really does seem these two are fighting for the same spot?
Steven forward, Armo mid for mine...could have left Steven in this week IMO. Heyne would seem a natural replacement for Steven, but why would you substitute a kid with little experience for a kid with no experience? Sack degruch!
Well Heyne is more your marking forward. Steven cant mark. He is a typical small mid/forward.