Sandy vs Coburg Rd 4- reports/video

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

TW for ruck????

Ruckwork is an entirely extra skillset, and indeed mindset.

TW now has played only about half a dozen games of footy in his life and is trying to learn the wide range of footy skills, including how to read the play, where and when to run etc etc... His learning curve already needs to be massive.

Why would you want to overlay this now by also trying to teach him ruckwork skills? It would add greatly to the complexity of what he needs to learn.

Backline for now makes the most sense as you can react to your opponent.

Later in the year give him some forward games which will be harder as you have to create the play and read the play better. Maybe even some runs through the midfield.

But putting him in the ruck now I would not see as fast-tracking him. Indeed I would see it rather as a brake on developing for roles that he is better suited at learning now and in being developed into.

Besides to share ruck duties we already have Ben, Stanley, Patto and even MaGrath.

Giving Ben as much practice as possible now would be the No1 ruck development priority IMO.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sandringham vs Coburg - Scores /reports

saintsRrising wrote:TW now has played only about half a dozen games of footy in his life and is trying to learn the wide range of footy skills, including how to read the play, where and when to run etc etc... His learning curve already needs to be massive.
i just think it would get him into the game a bit more with a view to using him as a key forward down the track.

he looks a natural footballer to me who, like blake, could play a variety of roles.

i also think people overestimate how much of football can be learned as opposed to how much is instinctive and innate.

the guy just looks like a natural ball player. importantly, he knows how to use his body.

i'm not saying he's ready now, but i really liked what i saw.

you should pop down for a look at him sRr. i'd be interested in your opinion.

as i said, i'll puke if he packs it in and goes home to ireland

fast track him
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 04 May 2010 8:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sandringham vs Coburg - Scores /reports

bigcarl wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:TW now has played only about half a dozen games of footy in his life and is trying to learn the wide range of footy skills, including how to read the play, where and when to run etc etc... His learning curve already needs to be massive.
i just think it would get him into the game a bit more with a view to using him as a key forward down the track.

he looks a natural footballer to me who, like blake, could play a variety of roles.

i also think people overestimate how much of football can be learned and how much is instinctive.

the guy just looks like a natural ball player. importantly, he knows how to use his body.

i'm not saying he's ready now, but i really liked what i saw.

you should pop down for a look at him sRr. i'd be interested in your opinion.

as i said, i'll puke if he packs it in and goes home to ireland

fast track him
I get what your saying bigcarl and perhaps against a slower team sandy could play him on the ball. Big body and ability to use it would be interesting to watch. But he has improved out of sight since the intra club

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info. ... onID=56266

seniors game
http://www.youtube.com/user/SandyZebs#p ... Dc95-okxEM

reserves game

Thanks to the sandringham website.... love the constant update of information.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
CeilidhSaint
Club Player

I would like to apologise to anyone who went to the game and had to listen to my crazy 2 year old son crying cos he couldn't hop on other people's bikes for a whole quarter!
From the tiny amount I did see Tommy will keep playing in the back line to improve his reading of the play but he could well be a joker in the pack later on in the year.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
Solar
Saintsational Legend

CeilidhSaint wrote:I would like to apologise to anyone who went to the game and had to listen to my crazy 2 year old son crying cos he couldn't hop on other people's bikes for a whole quarter!
From the tiny amount I did see Tommy will keep playing in the back line to improve his reading of the play but he could well be a joker in the pack later on in the year.
poor little guy!
Can't be worse then the tigers suppoters in the social club pocket who complaigned about the umpiring every second of the game. Even when I was on the other side of the ground I could hear them.... :roll:

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
CeilidhSaint wrote:I would like to apologise to anyone who went to the game and had to listen to my crazy 2 year old son crying cos he couldn't hop on other people's bikes for a whole quarter!
poor little guy!
Can't be worse then the tigers suppoters in the social club pocket who complaigned about the umpiring every second of the game. Even when I was on the other side of the ground I could hear them.... :roll:
Ball!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Riewoldt=Gun_09
Club Player

Go Sandy!!!!!!!!!!!

This is Saints footy
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Now we will have to keep an eye out for Sandy Reserves, to see when Jesse Smith gets his first game.