Saints Press Conference after the Bulldogs game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Saints Press Conference after the Bulldogs game

I didn't see it on tv, nor dd I hear any of the radio coverage of Ross's press conference after the game.
I did read on here some posts about there being a 'boycott' of sorts by the media.

I've not heard anything since Friday about it and was wondering if the media have 'boycotted' talking/mentioning anything about their 'boycott'?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

saw the press confrance on ch9 footy show on sunday

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints Press Conference after the Bulldogs game

Mr Magic wrote:I didn't see it on tv, nor dd I hear any of the radio coverage of Ross's press conference after the game.
I did read on here some posts about there being a 'boycott' of sorts by the media.

I've not heard anything since Friday about it and was wondering if the media have 'boycotted' talking/mentioning anything about their 'boycott'?
I think the journos were planning to go to Eade's first thinking they had won. There was no one there at RL's at first but it might have been someone taking a bit of journalistic licence. RL was happy anyway and ready to go. Not exactly sure what happened but the footage was funny and he did have a PC.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Basically no one showed up. The explanation I heard was that they all thought dogs were going to win and left about 5 mins to go to get to the Dogs first. Apparently a common practice. Funny to see the empty press room

If they did boycott the knobs can p%ss off

I love this club
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Interesting difference in reactions from each coach to the low scoring:

Lyon says there are two teams out there and other teams can be defensive as well.

Eade doesn't comment.

I wonder what Eade would have said if the Press cam to ask him about the Western Bulldogs great job in beating us at our "own game" and restricting us to 4 goals for the game. I don't think he would have made no comment then. We played 4 full quarters, Rodney, and that's why we won.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:The explanation I heard was that they all thought dogs were going to win and left about 5 mins to go to get to the Dogs first.
I've heard of media managers doing this (to set up displays, etc) but not journalists.

I imagine they'd be under fire not only to watch the whole thing - as is part of their job - but to file for deadline.

As for a boycott, I sincerely doubt it. Ross Lyon has tried to improve his media relations. He's not perfect, far from it, and still doesn't like direct questions. However, it's not as bad as it was in 2007, when he did all that embarrassing overkill with rhetorical questions and smart-alec questions.

Must say I like how he does the interview with Ch 7 these days almost every week during the match. Yes, they're soft and he doesn't give much away, but it's money for jam because it looks great. He needed coercion at first but finally, I'd dare say he almost enjoys it now.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

benengel14
Club Player

He's still very defensive at the post-match pressers - he'll make it very clear when he doesn't like the premise of the question. I'm not convinced he (or the club's media people) have worked out the best way of responding to any gamestyle/free-flowing questions by the media. Especially in the pre-season of 08 (or 09) when you had GW making comments about wanting high-scoring matches...

Still has a habit of challenging the media by firing back semi-rhetorical questions particularly when it comes to statistical detail.
Everton: Do you not see this also?
Which makes great Ross Lyon v Media theatre, but I'm not sure sells the brand that well.

On another hand, his knowledge of precise stats broken down Qtr:Qtr is remarkable. But maybe all coaches have that information in mind they choose not to share it though.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:The explanation I heard was that they all thought dogs were going to win and left about 5 mins to go to get to the Dogs first.
I've heard of media managers doing this (to set up displays, etc) but not journalists.

I imagine they'd be under fire not only to watch the whole thing - as is part of their job - but to file for deadline.

As for a boycott, I sincerely doubt it. Ross Lyon has tried to improve his media relations. He's not perfect, far from it, and still doesn't like direct questions. However, it's not as bad as it was in 2007, when he did all that embarrassing overkill with rhetorical questions and smart-alec questions.

Must say I like how he does the interview with Ch 7 these days almost every week during the match. Yes, they're soft and he doesn't give much away, but it's money for jam because it looks great. He needed coercion at first but finally, I'd dare say he almost enjoys it now.
I thought that expnation was a bit odd, as it would only take a few mis to get to the press area,

RL has become quite smooth with his press conferances, doesnt say much he has that cool dude walk happening.

I love this club
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I thought the comments made on "On the Couch" were interesting. Not often the media defends us. Was nice to hear.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:I thought the comments made on "On the Couch" were interesting. Not often the media defends us. Was nice to hear.
I avoided that show last night as I expected the same old saints bagging
So they actually were ok were they?

I love this club
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Stillwaiting wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:I thought the comments made on "On the Couch" were interesting. Not often the media defends us. Was nice to hear.
2 out of the 3 shows were quite good. More about the Bulldogs than it was the Saints. On the Couch and One Week at a Time gave it to the Bulldogs. It was also mentioned by both programs that the Bulldogs went in more defensive against us, so they believe it was not only us being 'defensive'.

According to Caro last night on Footy Classified, the poor old Bullies were a little peeved with RL's comments in his press conference after the game. How dare Ross accuse the Dogs of going in just as defensive as us? What was he thinkng....:wink:

Thommo's comments irked me, but he is not a favourite of mine at the best of times. He sure had a lot to say about his white haired boy who nows plays for the filth. Yes Thommo, we do know how much you love Luke Ball. Certainly quite a bit if his inflated contract with us over the last 3 years was anything to go by.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:
2 out of the 3 shows were quite good. More about the Bulldogs than it was the Saints. On the Couch and One Week at a Time gave it to the Bulldogs. It was also mentioned by both programs that the Bulldogs went in more defensive against us, so they believe it was not only us being 'defensive'.

According to Caro last night on Footy Classified, the poor old Bullies were a little peeved with RL's comments in his press conference after the game. How dare Ross accuse the Dogs of going in just as defensive as us? What was he thinkng....:wink:

Thommo's comments irked me, but he is not a favourite of mine at the best of times. He sure had a lot to say about his white haired boy who nows plays for the filth. Yes Thommo, we do know how much you love Luke Ball. Certainly quite a bit if his inflated contract with us over the last 3 years was anything to go by.

Good that it wasnt all put on us, as the press may not realise, there was 2 teams involved in the match

As for the Dogs, they really need to get away from the world against us crap they have been pouring on sisne the firtzroy merger went arse up in the 80`s. Smorgon should go back to chasing ambulances

I love this club
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
saint75 wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:

Good that it wasnt all put on us, as the press may not realise, there was 2 teams involved in the match

As for the Dogs, they really need to get away from the world against us crap they have been pouring on sisne the firtzroy merger went arse up in the 80`s. Smorgon should go back to chasing ambulances
Wrong Smorgon - this one's not a lawyer.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:

What has GT got to do with Bally contract?

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:
saint75 wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:

Wrong Smorgon - this one's not a lawyer.

Sorry, thought it was the same person

I love this club
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

benengel14 wrote:Still has a habit of challenging the media by firing back semi-rhetorical questions particularly when it comes to statistical detail.
Which makes great Ross Lyon v Media theatre, but I'm not sure sells the brand that well.
Yeah, have to agree with all that. It's a self-defence mechanism. Ross still finds it tough in the spotlight. I think he'll always struggle with tough questions, but that's just his personality. Look at Malthouse - he combusts under direct questions and loses his cool. It's not classy, but he's still a good coach. Pim Verbeek, the Socceroos coach, also can't stand any questioning of his tactics or style. Everyone has their strong and weak points and these guys just don't look comfortable when they're under the microscope. Brand 'image' is often linked to media performance, it can't be ignored. All three have hurt their brand in the past (Verbeek and Malthouse last year, Lyon in 2007) with such antics.

Still I just think it's about developing a tougher hide, not taking it personally and remembering that every time you speak, it's an opportunity to communicate openly and honestly with members. Little psycho-babble games with journalists and those horrendous semi-rehtorical questions have gotta go.

But as I say, he's improved a lot, let's hope he keeps improving.

rexy
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:
benengel14 wrote:Still has a habit of challenging the media by firing back semi-rhetorical questions particularly when it comes to statistical detail.
Yeah, have to agree with all that. It's a self-defence mechanism. Ross still finds it tough in the spotlight. I think he'll always struggle with tough questions, but that's just his personality. Look at Malthouse - he combusts under direct questions and loses his cool. It's not classy, but he's still a good coach. Pim Verbeek, the Socceroos coach, also can't stand any questioning of his tactics or style. Everyone has their strong and weak points and these guys just don't look comfortable when they're under the microscope. Brand 'image' is often linked to media performance, it can't be ignored. All three have hurt their brand in the past (Verbeek and Malthouse last year, Lyon in 2007) with such antics.

Still I just think it's about developing a tougher hide, not taking it personally and remembering that every time you speak, it's an opportunity to communicate openly and honestly with members. Little psycho-babble games with journalists and those horrendous semi-rehtorical questions have gotta go.

But as I say, he's improved a lot, let's hope he keeps improving.
Often I dont think he expresses himself quite how he means too, dont think he was blaming the bulldogs for the game style, think he was just saying it takes two to tango, way it came across though was that it was their fault.

Just my perception but the media are never going to sell it that way.

Maybe this year?
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Often I dont think he expresses himself quite how he means too, dont think he was blaming the bulldogs for the game style, think he was just saying it takes two to tango, way it came across though was that it was their fault.
He gets tongue-tied a little bit, no question. Just as his coaching needed fine-tuning in the early days, his communication also needs a bit of work.

I'm sure it will come.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
rexy wrote:Often I dont think he expresses himself quite how he means too, dont think he was blaming the bulldogs for the game style, think he was just saying it takes two to tango, way it came across though was that it was their fault.
He gets tongue-tied a little bit, no question. Just as his coaching needed fine-tuning in the early days, his communication also needs a bit of work.

I'm sure it will come.
and to be fair, sometimes you can't hear the questions, could of been particularly annoying :)