Did Jack Steven do enough to hold his place?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Did Jack Steven do enough to hold his place?

I thought young Jack played well enough to hold his place next week, although he had limited game time. His goal was certainly handy with only 7 being kicked in the match.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

I thought it was fantastic.
Hard at it all night....I recall 2 players within 5 minutes of each other in the last 1/4 where he single handedly held the ball in our forward 50 with his pressure.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We are 5-1 and so are in position to "grow" a few of our younger players.

Steven's second club for the club was quite good.

I would really like to give him a run of at least 4/5 games to see how he goes.

Having said that if Gram comes back someone has to go. Though the rumour mill has Gram out fora couple of more weeks yet.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Thought Steven was pretty good.

I really admired his pressure, and the way he went about locking the ball in the F50. Some clean disposal, and an important goal as well. Definitely should hold his spot.

The Saints are coming!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Defensively poor, not accountable enough to his opponent for mine. Chips in with some great defensive efforts but leaves his man too often.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Thought he was good. Picked off some good tackles at crucial times across half forward and in the middle.

Tried to make Gilbee accountable but didnt really get enough of the ball to do that. Should stay in the side for Carlton, definitely.

Foz
Club Player

Future goal kicking mid....'nuff said

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Definitely!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Yes but probably not.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Yes but probably not.
Gram back this week?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Did Jack Steven do enough to hold his place?

borderbarry wrote:I thought young Jack played well enough to hold his place next week, although he had limited game time. His goal was certainly handy with only 7 being kicked in the match.
eddy the week before had 15 touches, 5 tackles and a goal assist, and lost his spot.

jack had 13 touches, 5 tackles and kicked a goal. pretty similar game.

if gram's fit i'd expect to see steven make way. and eddy was named in the best few for the reserves, so could be pressure from there as well.

the kid'll be back soon enough. certainly didn't do his prospects any harm, but also didn't force them to keep him in the side.

saints11
Club Player

I would bring Gram in for Clarke not Steven

PJ
SS Life Member

I'd take out King for Grammy and just let Kosi do more ruckwork. We need some speed in the forward line.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saints11 wrote:I would bring Gram in for Clarke not Steven
Thank goodness you're not on the match committee.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
rexy
SS Life Member

Doubt many would see it that way, Clarke was very good and can play running or stopping roles. Not sure why you would drop him based on his performance?

Steven Geary and Armitage clearly the quiet men on the day, none of them bad as such, they were just the quietest, didnt feel like Armo played on the ball as often as he has done in earlier rounds, was it just me?

Maybe this year?
SaintWodonga
Club Player

+1

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Steven Geary and Armitage clearly the quiet men on the day, none of them bad as such, they were just the quietest, didnt feel like Armo played on the ball as often as he has done in earlier rounds, was it just me?
not sure, but he did kick two goals in a low scoring clash. he's one who looked better on replay than he did at the ground, but still obviously didn't get much of it.

midfielders like armo, geary, steven and schneider (the latter two mainly forward pockets) were arguably a problem on friday night. between the four of them they had 46 possessions. hayes, montagna, harbrow, cooney, gilbee all had more than 34 each, so just 46 between four running players definitely hurts you.

steven always looks proppy when he runs or walks, is that just me? weird hips.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

+1
+1 more

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:

+1
+1 more

stupid suggestion

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
maverick
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Beno88 wrote:

+1
+1 more

stupid suggestion
Agree -1 :lol:

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

How is it a stupid suggestion as opposed to just a suggestion?

We have a medium-tall running defender coming back, so a medium-tall defender makes way for him.

Against a side that has several small forwards.

Gilbert, Dawson, Blake, Baker, Ray or Fisher aren't going to make way for Gram. Raph is first line to make way. The only other options are Gwilt or Geary but both have played every game and played their role well. Raph's two games have been about par for him, which is below his best.

I'm not on the Raph hating bandwagon, but it's an obvious choice in my opinion. However if you think otherwise, I don't see that as 'stupid'.

One thing that may not go in Raph's favour is that in his last three games for the Saints, the opposition has kicked 25 goals, 5 (20%) of those goals have come directly from a Clarke clanger.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Clarke - strong fourth quarter because the guy can run at speed all day.

3 tackles 3 spoils 19 disposals - this is a potential star you want to get good for the finals. Gram more forward to kick goals.

I'm obviously sitting here looking at the stats. What's with the free kick count! Bloody hell.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Jack's first quarter was extremely impressive (especially his chasing and tackling), but his lack of games in the past 8 weeks and the fact he's not used to the tempo (especially in such a demanding game), probably contributed to him fading out of the game. I'm really looking forward to seeing how he goes when he's more match-fit and more used to the tempo. It could be very :D .
If Gram returns this week he's probably the one to go, though, unless they leave Zac out, due to a lack of match up.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Tue 04 May 2010 12:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Steven will make way for Gram when Gram is fit, and I still don't think we can carry Kosi, Gards and King in one team as none of them are imposing themselves on the game, and three lumbering slow talls can't be carried in one team. Possibly King may go out and Eddy or Stanley may get a gig -or even McEvoy, who although another slow tall, has goal sense and is OK around the ground, will take more marks than King -and is showing consistant good form at Sandy.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Beno88 wrote:How is it a stupid suggestion as opposed to just a suggestion?

We have a medium-tall running defender coming back, so a medium-tall defender makes way for him.

Against a side that has several small forwards.

Gilbert, Dawson, Blake, Baker, Ray or Fisher aren't going to make way for Gram. Raph is first line to make way. The only other options are Gwilt or Geary but both have played every game and played their role well. Raph's two games have been about par for him, which is below his best.

I'm not on the Raph hating bandwagon, but it's an obvious choice in my opinion. However if you think otherwise, I don't see that as 'stupid'.

One thing that may not go in Raph's favour is that in his last three games for the Saints, the opposition has kicked 25 goals, 5 (20%) of those goals have come directly from a Clarke clanger.
The only problem with this suggestion is that Gram isn't a medium tall defender IMO. He's a midfielder who drifts back to help out the defence. Raph is being played as a 3rd tall defender/running half back.

Outside of one mistake (in a game full of them) Raph was solid. Personally I think Mini would be in the gun if his last quarter was so good. He's been very quiet recently which has been disappointing as he's one of those 'important to the structure' players. Geary has been a bit up and down, which you expect from an inexperienced player but holds his spot as a small defender.

As much as I would like Jack to keep his spot, I think he is the one to go if Grammy is back.

As much as the Kosi in the ruck option has merits, we need him as a forward target. The delivery to him has to improve dramatically though.