Go Raph

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Good intensity gave 100% all night, did some good things, did some b ad things.

Probably just a pass.

Still very much under pressure...
Hate to have to say it, but really do agree.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

wraiyth wrote:Raphs main problem is that he turns it over in the backline. Wouldn't be so much of a problem if it was more up the ground, turnovers happen in footy, but when it can (and I think it did tonight once or twice) cost you 6 points, it makes the player look alot worse. If Raph took 1 or 2 less steps with the ball and didnt get caught as much he'd be a much less maligned player.
You admit you don't even know if he cost us a goal or two, yet you bag him.
Raph saved our arse at least 10 times tonight, but you don't see that.
Some people see what they want to see, thank goodness Ross knows Raph's value to the team.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Good lines, Shakster. I come from a recent school of thought that says if Ross reckons he can play, and is worth a spot, then so do I. His prelim last year earnt Raph a shyteload of credits, and when Ross spoke about who was to return in the first few weeks, he named Raph first every time.

I am far from a humble man, but I regard the bloke who runs us as the best in the game. So, if he likes Raph, I like Raph.

As for the brain dead pot Raph fraternity, nip down to training and tell the Boss he's a fool.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
bigred
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
Armoooo wrote:Good intensity gave 100% all night, did some good things, did some b ad things.

Probably just a pass.

Why on earth would you "Hate to have to say it".....

Its disappointing that one of our players had a decent game?

Curious.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Something about him, he cost a shot at goal (not sure if they kicked it, I think Hahn did) when he passed to Zac poorly, but the players kept giving it too him and he responded.

He is a worry but he is very good at the death in close games....

Just needs to play a few games in a row for mine....

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I've been a fan of Raph and his best footy is very good, but he just makes 2 or 3 simple, unnecessary errors every week that cost us goals. I don't know if it's worth having him in the side for his 15 or so quality possessions if he's costing us 2 goals per week from shocking turnovers. His 2008 finals series was absolutely fantastic and if he can regain that kind of form he'd be a valuable player, but I don't think he's doing enough to warrant holding his spot when he's regularly giving the ball away in our defence.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Banger724 wrote:lets not get too excited. posters have admitted he has turnovers but its the areas he does it... he turns over because of a lack of a awareness ... others turn it over kicking 50 or 60 to a contest... he does it missing a target 25 meters away... has a lot of work to do.

great to get the win though.
Oh yeah and what about the Gilbert turnover that DIRECTLY resulted in a Griffen goal.

But no - the lovechild Gilbert never gets critisised :roll:

You Facebook Raph haters have egg all over you stupid faces :twisted:
I understand that you want to stand up for Raph and congratulate him for a job well done, but surely you're not comparing Raph to Gilbert?

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:The two so called 'supporters' behind me didn't give him a break all night. Before he even got the ball they would say things like:
" OH for God's sake don't give it to Clarke"
" Clarke has been one of the best on ground.....For the Bulldogs"

I was very close to turning around and having a go, but instead I just made sure I gave him a big cheer everytime he got the ball.

He was FAR from our worst tonight, but some 'supporters' still cannot give him a go.

I would like to see said 'supporters' out there having a go so everyone can rip on them all game.
Thought he was in our best 6-8

Created some great contests and rarely froze under pressure unlike a few of his more bulletproof teammates. ALso some A grade 2nd efforts.

Totally keeps his spot for next week

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:

Probably just a pass.

Why on earth would you "Hate to have to say it".....

Its disappointing that one of our players had a decent game?

Curious.
I think he is disappointed that a player with so much potential is only just a 'pass mark' player at the best of times.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
ace
Saintsational Legend

wraiyth wrote:Raphs main problem is that he turns it over in the backline. Wouldn't be so much of a problem if it was more up the ground, turnovers happen in footy, but when it can (and I think it did tonight once or twice) cost you 6 points, it makes the player look alot worse. If Raph took 1 or 2 less steps with the ball and didnt get caught as much he'd be a much less maligned player.
I think he is frightened of making a mistake with his disposal so waits a little too long making the mistake of getting caught in possession.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
felixleo
Club Player

Best thing for me about Raph is that he isn't taking the four to five weeks to get back into the tempo of the game as he has in the past.

Are you gonna be the one?
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Our best 10 last night

1.L.Hayes (best game of season, still elite)
2.L.Montagna (Almost elite now)
3.S.Fisher (Job on Hall/24 touches)
4.B.Goddard (not his best game, but still good)
5.J.Gwilt (exc IMO)
6.A.McQualter (Awesom last Q.)
7.N.DalSanto (awesome last Q.)
8.S.Baker (on Aker, 23 touches)
9.J.Blake (solid, with some poor decisions)
10.S.Milne (2 goals as a sm. fwd, 12 pos)
11.C.Jones (beaten, but still good)
12.J.Steven (13p, 5t, Goal)
13.S.Gilbert (poor first half with TO's, after HT very good (24t, 3t, 2CM)
14.D.Armitage (10p, 2g, 7t)
15.R.Clarke (19p, 8k/3clg's)
16.A.Schnieder (15p, 4 clg's, 6t)
17.J.Koschitzke (11p, 1g, 3t, 6m, 3HO)
18.J.Geary (8p, 7t)
19.M.Gardiner (9p, 4m, 13HO)
20.F.Ray (23p)
21.S.King (9p, 13HO)
22.Z.Dawson (11t)

Not sure if Raph was in the best 6-8....but was not the worst...

But it was a much easier to play as a back than a fwd, due to mid pressure and numbers back

Saintsfan
Club Player

Raph Clarke is suffering the same issue that Nick Dal Santo and Leigh Montagna suffered a few seasons back.

He is an outsider receiver/runner and currently space is not around him to do so.

He wants to take off and go for a run almost every time he gets the football however the space is not around him to do so and he gets into trouble.

Like the two players mentioned, he needs to find ways to do this. The other two players have and look at the results.

The Saintsfan Cometh
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I slightly disagree with your assessment, BM: not of Raph, who I thought was ok but has played much, much better - but of Blake.

Last night, there were times when the Dogs attack kept coming in waves and, just about every time, there was Blake barring the way.

In this situation, we shouldn't focus too much on fumbles and the odd turnover: all defenders are going to make a few mistakes. It's how they stand up, stay with their men, and keep diving into contests that counts.

Our main men down back all showed a lot of courage last night: Blake most of all!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Our best 10 last night

1.L.Hayes (best game of season, still elite)
2.L.Montagna (Almost elite now)
3.S.Fisher (Job on Hall/24 touches)
4.B.Goddard (not his best game, but still good)
5.J.Gwilt (exc IMO)
6.A.McQualter (Awesom last Q.)
7.N.DalSanto (awesome last Q.)
8.S.Baker (on Aker, 23 touches)
9.J.Blake (solid, with some poor decisions)
10.S.Milne (2 goals as a sm. fwd, 12 pos)
11.C.Jones (beaten, but still good)
12.J.Steven (13p, 5t, Goal)
13.S.Gilbert (poor first half with TO's, after HT very good (24t, 3t, 2CM)
14.D.Armitage (10p, 2g, 7t)
15.R.Clarke (19p, 8k/3clg's)
16.A.Schnieder (15p, 4 clg's, 6t)
17.J.Koschitzke (11p, 1g, 3t, 6m, 3HO)
18.J.Geary (8p, 7t)
19.M.Gardiner (9p, 4m, 13HO)
20.F.Ray (23p)
21.S.King (9p, 13HO)
22.Z.Dawson (11t)

Not sure if Raph was in the best 6-8....but was not the worst...

But it was a much easier to play as a back than a fwd, due to mid pressure and numbers back
I thought Schneids, Geary and ray were in our bottom 3 easily.
Quite harsh on Gards, who was praised on radio after the game.
On your list Raph was better than Armo, Steven, Gilbert, Jones and Blake.

Having said all that you nailed the top 5.
The gut running Joey did in the last 5 minutes of the game was special.
He is elite now, and IMO pushing Dal.

georgie girl
Club Player

Go Raph

#1GILL wrote:The two so called 'supporters' behind me didn't give him a break all night. Before he even got the ball they would say things like:
" OH for God's sake don't give it to Clarke"
" Clarke has been one of the best on ground.....For the Bulldogs"

I was very close to turning around and having a go, but instead I just made sure I gave him a big cheer everytime he got the ball.

He was FAR from our worst tonight, but some 'supporters' still cannot give him a go.

I would like to see said 'supporters' out there having a go so everyone can rip on them all game.
I agree - every player had their bad moments last night. Raph was try to create some run and did some good things.
I also hate these supporters and have once or twice told them to go and support someone else. I am talking about the ones that bag players all through the game - we don't need them! We have opposition supporters for that!

3:16
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
Banger724 wrote:lets not get too excited. posters have admitted he has turnovers but its the areas he does it... he turns over because of a lack of a awareness ... others turn it over kicking 50 or 60 to a contest... he does it missing a target 25 meters away... has a lot of work to do.

great to get the win though.
Oh yeah and what about the Gilbert turnover that DIRECTLY resulted in a Griffen goal.

But no - the lovechild Gilbert never gets critisised :roll:

You Facebook Raph haters have egg all over you stupid faces :twisted:
I second that one Joff, Raph is always the wipping boy, did well and will continue to improve and develop, just as Jimmy has, these two boys provide us with the X-Factor!!!!!

PS. Even when Rooke ran Rapha down in the GF, Chippa was right next to him and didn't let him know he was hot, yet Raph copped it from A-Hole to Breakfast time!!!!!

"Cause Stone Cold said so"!!!!!

Shane Birss in 2008- Go the Pircha!!!!! RIP
Jarryn Geary-MIP in 2010!!!!!
Armitage=2010 SuperStar!!!!! (Luke Who)?????
PJ
SS Life Member

I think he is frightened of making a mistake with his disposal so waits a little too long making the mistake of getting caught in possession.
Actually I think the opposite about last night. He ran hard into packs and was rarely caught with the ball. Love the guys guts, just kept going hard all night.

Side point - Man is Gwilt getting it together - Captain cucumber, cool as.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Played a great game I thought last night. I don't believe the stats do him justice. The stats don't show, for example, that he had an 88% kicking efficiency for one. Not bad if you ask me. His work down the back saved us a few times last night.

I agree with one of the others posters who mentioned that defenders are going to have the odd turn over. Raph had a couple, but none of them cost us too much.

Absolutely LOVED it when he got up and gave it to Johnson. LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT (as did the Sainters around me). That's shows to me his confidence is improving and he knows his place in our team. It is about time we get behind this young man. Can you imagine how good he will become if his confidence grows another 50%?

I challenge you Raph baggers to support him for a couple of weeks instead of bagging him. Hell, you may just even enjoy it! :D

Fortius Quo Fidelius
3:16
Club Player

saint75 wrote:

I challenge you Raph baggers to support him for a couple of weeks instead of bagging him. Hell, you may just even enjoy it! :D
They'd be the "Legends" whom used bag Joe Blake are couple of years back, they won't support him, they'll claim him and move onto the next target if history/form has anything to do with it!!!!!

"Cause Stone Cold said so"!!!!!

Shane Birss in 2008- Go the Pircha!!!!! RIP
Jarryn Geary-MIP in 2010!!!!!
Armitage=2010 SuperStar!!!!! (Luke Who)?????
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The play in the first against Akermanis.

He backed his speed - Aker is a quick guy.

I liked it!

derby Street
Club Player

wraiyth wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
wraiyth wrote:Difference is that Gilbert is generally good and had a poor game. Raph seems to be the opposite.
Crap - lovechild has been missing targets for weeks.

he heas been worked out by opposition teams trhat he cant kick on the right foot and force him on to his left.

You go over to Facebook with all the other Raph haters.

He has made the fickle haters have eggs ALL OVER THEIR FACES TONIGHT.

Suck it up you bunch of princesses :roll: :roll:
Ah god I love coming on here after a game, your retardedness makes me laugh.
Actually I was thinking the same thing about you - not sure why you think your point of view is anymore valid than Joffaboy (and I would suggest he has more cred than you by a country mile) :shock:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Had a few hard-ball gets - a really important one late in the 4th quarter - but generally struggled whenever the ball was in his hands.

He really does seem to struggle in high-pressure matches. Gets caught in the headlights.

Turns the ball over in critical positions.

Knew he'd get a lot of love on here - always does - but there's more to being a top quality defender than the odd spoil. You can to provide so much more and Raph has a long, long way to go.

I know it's a crime to say things like that on here given the worship but it's all about a premiership for me. I think we've got better options, especially in hard, tough physical contests.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

stkfc1
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:I've been a fan of Raph and his best footy is very good, but he just makes 2 or 3 simple, unnecessary errors every week that cost us goals. I don't know if it's worth having him in the side for his 15 or so quality possessions if he's costing us 2 goals per week from shocking turnovers. His 2008 finals series was absolutely fantastic and if he can regain that kind of form he'd be a valuable player, but I don't think he's doing enough to warrant holding his spot when he's regularly giving the ball away in our defence.
It's called perseverance!

Wasn't that long ago people were saying exactly the same thing about

Blake. Now look at him.I don't get why people still think that some players

should just be able to waltz in, get 38 touches with 100% efficiency. So he

makes mistakes. Show me an AFL player who doesn't (or anybody for that

matter) Geez do you get suspended every time you stuff up at work? The

coaches obviously see him in our best 22. They're not keeping him in just

to piss people off. They see POTENTIAL. Get a clue people.

PJ
SS Life Member

Had a few hard-ball gets - a really important one late in the 4th quarter - but generally struggled whenever the ball was in his hands.

He really does seem to struggle in high-pressure matches. Gets caught in the headlights.

Turns the ball over in critical positions.

Knew he'd get a lot of love on here - always does - but there's more to being a top quality defender than the odd spoil. You can to provide so much more and Raph has a long, long way to go.

I know it's a crime to say things like that on here given the worship but it's all about a premiership for me. I think we've got better options, especially in hard, tough physical contests.
Nothing wrong with having a different opinion - just think you're completely incorrect.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.