WHY ARE RAPH, ZAC AND EDDY ALWAYS CRITISISED?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
SainterK wrote:I just want to know where these posters are after a win?
All I can say is thank god we win so often, because otherwise we'd have to see them on here more often.

Fact is, we are never going to field a team of 22 superstars. Even Geelong has a few GOPs in their team.

These imbeciles seem to think that Raph, Dawson, etc. are keeping out potential superstars from the Zebras. But when these guys get into the senior side, they either have to perform brilliantly or they quickly become whipping boys too. Gilbert was a whipping boy in 2008, McEvoy is on the cusp, some are starting to have a go at Geary FFS (I reckon he's having a great 2010). If Armo plays too many more games like his effort against Port, he'll become a whipping boy too.

It's ok to have a negative view about players (although it can be embarassing when they prove you wrong, like CJ has done for me and many others). But this harping on and on and on with denigrating and insulting comments......!!!!! :roll:
There are some players who appear to be 'auto inclusions' for reasons that appear only obvious to the selection panel though.

I think the issue is that the average supporter doesn't 'get' what Ross Lyon is doing - or attempting to do.

In days gone by, and still in most footy circles you need to play well in the areas that the average supporter see as important to continue getting a game.
Clearly, under Lyon, there are things that we don't see that gets you a spot in the side.

Some would cynically argue that the best way to get a game is to be one of Lyon's favourites.
Others would say it's to play your role well.

I personally wouldn't have a clue what guarantees certain players a game each week.
I'm still scratching my head at Dempster being brought in for the GF.

But the instant call up of Eddy, Dempster, Raph and others I think puzzles/frustrates supporters because to the naked eye there doesn't really seem to be good cause for them to be getting what appears to be 'unquestioned selection'.

The other thing to remember is, that the 'blind faith' supporters who defend these players - don't know why they're getting a game either. They are blindly supporting them just as the others are blindly potting them.

Saintsfan
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:Gee people are dumb....

Do you really think Raph lost us the GF??? Seriusly!?

How many missed shots at goals that we could have kicked and we lost?

You cannot serioulsy blame that loss on one player...

Get a life and get a grip. Maybe it was you, you didnt cheer hard enough or you bagged our players which made them stuff it up....

Get f***ed
Well he had one of his typical dawdle-get pinged for holding the ball-goal - early in the game so at least he is consistent

I'm not blaming the loss on him...I just don't want him playing for us

The Saintsfan Cometh
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
meher baba wrote:
All I can say is thank god we win so often, because otherwise we'd have to see them on here more often.

Fact is, we are never going to field a team of 22 superstars. Even Geelong has a few GOPs in their team.

These imbeciles seem to think that Raph, Dawson, etc. are keeping out potential superstars from the Zebras. But when these guys get into the senior side, they either have to perform brilliantly or they quickly become whipping boys too. Gilbert was a whipping boy in 2008, McEvoy is on the cusp, some are starting to have a go at Geary FFS (I reckon he's having a great 2010). If Armo plays too many more games like his effort against Port, he'll become a whipping boy too.

It's ok to have a negative view about players (although it can be embarassing when they prove you wrong, like CJ has done for me and many others). But this harping on and on and on with denigrating and insulting comments......!!!!! :roll:
There are some players who appear to be 'auto inclusions' for reasons that appear only obvious to the selection panel though.

I think the issue is that the average supporter doesn't 'get' what Ross Lyon is doing - or attempting to do.

In days gone by, and still in most footy circles you need to play well in the areas that the average supporter see as important to continue getting a game.
Clearly, under Lyon, there are things that we don't see that gets you a spot in the side.

Some would cynically argue that the best way to get a game is to be one of Lyon's favourites.

I personally wouldn't have a clue what guarantees certain players a game each week.

But the instant call up of Eddy, Dempster, Raph and others I think puzzles/frustrates supporters because to the naked eye there doesn't really seem to be good cause for them to be getting what appears to be 'unquestioned selection'.

The other thing to remember is, that the 'blind faith' supporters who defend these players - don't know why they're getting a game either. They are blindly supporting them just as the others are blindly potting them.
RF, do you watch Sandy play?

Batnoe
Club Player

Saintsfan wrote:

Get a life and get a grip. Maybe it was you, you didnt cheer hard enough or you bagged our players which made them stuff it up....

Get f***ed
Well he had one of his typical dawdle-get pinged for holding the ball-goal - early in the game so at least he is consistent

People remember one mistake... I do agree, last game he made a few errors, but maybe that is because other players werent running past to release the handball.

Watch him play, he get 15 touches and uses the ball well. I think he is an important part of the team... WOuld love to see him in forward line though

Carn Saints
Saintsfan
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:

Get f***ed

People remember one mistake... I do agree, last game he made a few errors, but maybe that is because other players werent running past to release the handball.

Watch him play, he get 15 touches and uses the ball well. I think he is an important part of the team... WOuld love to see him in forward line though
Although it is one mistake. It happens so often and usually results in an opposition score.

This never happens/rarely happens with other players in the league.

The message (whatever it is) is not getting through to his thick head

The Saintsfan Cometh
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
No.

I used to be a huge Sandy fan prior to the AFL killing the old VFL off and would head down to Beach Rd. for every home game.

But I haven't seen a Zebba's game for years.

Why do you ask?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
No.

I used to be a huge Sandy fan prior to the AFL killing the old VFL off and would head down to Beach Rd. for every home game.

Why do you ask?
You just seem to think RL just picks certain players like Clarke and Eddy no matter what. Just maybe they are the best performing players at Sandy. Of course i could be wrong and RL may just pick certain players because likes them even if they have no idea how to play footy.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
meher baba wrote:

The average supporter perhaps doesnt "get" it because they dont spend 100 hours/week on game plans, structures etc etc etc like our coaching staff do...so its not "blind faith" that has them defending their selections, just an admission that the coaching staff know a hell of a lot more about the strengths and weaknesses of our players, relative to our game plan, than any mug supporters like you and me :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
No.

Why do you ask?
You just seem to think RL just picks certain players like Clarke and Eddy no matter what. Just maybe they are the best performing players at Sandy. Of course i could be wrong and RL may just pick certain players because likes them even if they have no idea how to play footy.
I don't think he picks players no matter what.

Why would you say that?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
The average supporter perhaps doesnt "get" it because they dont spend 100 hours/week on game plans, structures etc etc etc like our coaching staff do...so its not "blind faith" that has them defending their selections, just an admission that the coaching staff know a hell of a lot more about the strengths and weaknesses of our players, relative to our game plan, than any mug supporters like you and me :-)
Yeah, so as I said - it's blind faith. Blind faith that the coaches see something that the average supporter doesn't.

The 'baggers' don't see why these guys are selected either, but don't appear to have blind faith that coaches have got it right.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
No.

Why do you ask?

Why would you say that?
Because you said it using other words like unquestioned selection. If you are going to discuss footy properly with me then dont be a smart arse otherwise find some other loser to discuss the game with.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
No.

Why do you ask?

Why would you say that?
Because you said it using other words like unquestioned selection. If you are going to discuss footy properly with me then dont be a smart arse otherwise find some other loser to discuss the game with.
??

Firstly, I said appears to be unquestioned selection. Secondly the use of inverted commas means that I don't mean it literally - but am using the term loosely.

Secondly, I was pretty clear on these points...

These points were made clear to emphasise that I'm sure the coaches have their reasons - it's just that I, nor the average supporter knows what they are. Hence being passionately vocal about selection either way is pretty futile.

And thirdly, I wasn't discussing footy with you. You chimed in with yet another antagonistic sarcastic post when I was having a discussion with another poster.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:Theres a reason for the Caps Lock button, kos. Use it.

Anyone care to remember Raphs Prelim game against the Dogs?

We wouldnt have made the GF without him.

He has had plenty of good, serviceable games, but people only mention the mistakes.
Trouble is that his mistakes are too many for a player at that level, he cops criticism for a reason as does Zac.

The thing that some people on here need to understand , criticizing players is a natural thing, as natural as applauding players when they play well.
Collingwood supporters come to mind when you speak of irrational blind assessments of their players, surely we are smarter than that.

Until Raph and Zac can prove to me that they can cut the mustard with the big boys then I will be critical.
I admit that Raph has shown some improvement whereas Zac appears to be going backwards ...both players are under the gun as far as I'm concerned.

A lot are saying that the coach has his reasons for persisting with certain players...coaches are not infallible. If he has no choice then that is another matter.