44 points. forward line is a problem

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:the Saints put extra numbers behind the ball and were often caught without a single forward inside 50.
ah, the adelaide crows syndrome. they can't kick winning scores either.

this excessive numbers behind the ball was a problem for us before last year (imo) and i thought we'd gotten on top of it.

it's impossible to move it quickly to your forwards if they are behind the ball.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
degruch wrote:the Saints put extra numbers behind the ball and were often caught without a single forward inside 50.
ah, the adelaide crows syndrome. they can't kick winning scores either.

this excessive numbers behind the ball was a problem for us before last year (imo) and i thought we'd gotten on top of it.

it's impossible to move it quickly to your forwards if they are behind the ball.
The Crows still believe they have Modra at FF...as much as we seem to believe we still have Roo at CHF. Seems like a distressing tactical reversion to 2007, along with our mentally weak approach to tackling Port.

felixleo
Club Player

I would suggest we were beaten by a side playing with a home ground advantage with their tails up playing a great brand of 'saints footy' against a side that was down on the night.

Are you gonna be the one?
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Spinner wrote:I'd suggest we lost it in the midfield.
agree that we lost there, too.

the mids might have done better if they'd had a dangerous target to kick it to.

instead it was kosi, completely out of sorts, rubber-chest milne, and gwilt, a proven failure in the forward line who has blossomed in defence this year.

The forwards might have done better if the mid's delivered more quality ball....

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

instead it was kosi, completely out of sorts, rubber-chest milne, and gwilt, a proven failure in the forward line who has blossomed in defence this year.

The forwards might have done better if the mid's delivered more quality ball....
it's the old chicken and egg argument, isn't it. of course you've got to win the midfield ... just don't forget to put the score on the board as well.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:Does anyone know if Stanley is being developed as a Ruckman or a forward at Sandy?
good question. maybe someone who watches the sandringham games will have an answer.

kalsaint
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:

I reckon the defenders pinch hitting forward is also not the right approach but I dont blame Gwilt. He was one today who definitely kicked longer than most.

I reckon we need to blood a younger guy and leave BJ in the midfield. The defenders need assistance but not by the whole team or we will never score goals unless you have tank like Nick to create them.

5 Years ago floods were considered ugly but are now accepted practice. Even the Bulldogs realised a high profile leading forward was needed to compliment a mobile and fast midfield to kick a winning score consistently while maintaining a solids defence.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
SaintWal wrote:If we don't develop specific players for the role all we do is pinch hit and weaken other positions or worse structures. Stanley for me
hypnotise him and tell him his name is nick riewoldt :D

look, stanley is extremely promising but reportedly couldn't get near it yesterday for sandringham.

i still think goddard. otherwise we will struggle to kick winning scores.
Exactly. He's the only other one with any size (aside from Kosi) who has looked like kicking significant numbers of goals.
Last week, and other weeks (like against the Roos, in round two and West Coast and Melb last year, etc) were ample evidence of that. And they were all just "cameo" roles. He'll almost certainly do even better there if allowed to actually settle there.
Last night he had an off night, like so many others, the delivery into the forward line was woeful and the conditions got worse as the night went on. Then there were all the times all those playing "forward" pushed into the backline. Even Goddard will struggle to kick goals from 120m out! It was a shambles.
If Lenny Hayes, Nick Dal Santo, Leigh Montagna, Jason Gram, Ray, Jones, Sam Fisher, Gilbert, Raph and Gwilt aren't able to cover sufficiently for BJ around the middle and down back, we might as well pack it in.
We need to play him forward and be PATIENT with it. Those who think it's going to work perfectly and seamlessly immediately are in "Fairytale land".

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:I was against playing stanley on his own and I believe that next week is the week for the kid to debut. Play the two prongs and thus always have a tall working up from half forward. If we have too many tall defenders then drop one but stop using it as a stop gap for the mis matched defender.
anyone see stanley's game for sandringham?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Solar wrote:I was against playing stanley on his own and I believe that next week is the week for the kid to debut. Play the two prongs and thus always have a tall working up from half forward. If we have too many tall defenders then drop one but stop using it as a stop gap for the mis matched defender.
anyone see stanley's game for sandringham?
looking forward to seeing him this sunday if he is not selected for the saints. I ould not be suprised if we see him in there as ross made it clear that it was one area we fell down in

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Milton66
SS Life Member

Not making excuses...

Gram and Ray out means that we are 2 mids down. So BJ has to go back in.

Otherwise, you'd play him fwd all the time.

Agree that we need an alternative fwd line.

I'd seriously look at throwing Zac up there also.

Kosi is a real concern IMO.

Eddy is so so, and even Geary isn't quite there yet.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The games we have won, have been because of an even contribution across the board.

As I mentioned on my other thread, we have progressively gone from 10 goalkickers a game in round one, down to 4 last night.

This isn't about one particular player having a poor night, it's about a lack of intensity across the board.

Buckets
SS Life Member

We lost the game in the midfield. When we did get the ball forward our disposal was shocking. How many times did we see the ball bounce at the feet of the opponent, sail over their head or not even go close to hitting the forward target? Too many for my liking!

I dont expect that type of effort this week. Expect the boys to come out firing esp the mids after that display last night!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Milton66
SS Life Member

It was windy and slippery.

I just wonder if playing all those games under the roof is good for us.

We seem shyte in the wet.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?