Not AFL, but biggest footy story EVER!!! Storm outed!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Yeah, poor players...played their hearts out, for nothing :(
I think one can assume that players knew all about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why is that?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
SainterK wrote:

I think one can assume that players knew all about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why is that?
There would be some that didn't, I feel very sorry for them...then again, I also feel sorry for the dejected players from the opposing teams that lost to Melbourne Storm when they only won because they were cheating.

saintlee
Club Player

No point Storm playing for the rest of the season, they lose all premiership points for this year.....

Saintsfan
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Why is that?
It's just over 300k to a squad of 25. Say give an extra 50k to the 6 best players...it is not that much...they would still state a ballpark figure off 400k/500k and it would arouse suspicion

The Saintsfan Cometh
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:
BigD wrote:I'm tipping Brian Waldron is waiting out at the International Terminal in dark glasses and a wig for the Argentina flight - Tony Mokabel style!

Most wanted man in Australia right about now.

Shame the planes aren't running....
Who says it is to do with him? If there were two sets of books as previously mentioned...who had access to these books? Hell it could have been an agreement between News Limited and a creative accountant that nobody else knew about. It equates to over 300k a season so it is a quality player additional on the roster per year.

It could involve the entire organising or only 2 people. If the payments were amde to mutiple players over the 5 year stretch they players involved would not have received too much extra annually.

Bit weird this one
From the press conference, the guy said something along the lines of people you once trusted can not be trusted for ever. Sounds like someone has blown the whistle to me.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Why is that?
1/ the extra cash in their pockets
2/ players talk..rumors have been about for ages

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

News Limited, as owner will takea massive hit on this.
apart from the fines, their other revenue will plummet.

However the group that I really feel sorry for our the Storm Fans.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Yeah i do feel sorry for our storm fans :cry: .......... but then again i am a St.George Illawarra fan :) :wink: .

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Waldron "nominated" as the architect of the cheating by News Ltd.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Oh well, that has fked RL in Melbourne forever.

The new Union team must be happy.

But wait Waldron is the CEO of that mob.

Only ones happy about this are the AFL.

See ya Storm boys.

Fkn cheats :twisted: :twisted:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Why is that?
1/ the extra cash in their pockets
2/ players talk..rumors have been about for ages
I could be 99.9% sure they wouldnt talk if they were getting money they knew they shouldnt. Also managers do the contract so it is more likely they knew than the players.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

OMG this is amazing... biggest story in australian sport for a decade, surely....

Carpe Diem
Saintsfan
Club Player

Is this Saints Footy?

The Saintsfan Cometh
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I could be 99.9% sure they wouldnt talk if they were getting money they knew they shouldnt. Also managers do the contract so it is more likely they knew than the players.
Come on...

There would have been nudge nudge get yours...the longer the corruption the more "acceptable" it would have been deemed.

Everyone "wondered" how they were affording the talent.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Waldron "nominated" as the architect of the cheating by News Ltd.
yeah, the age article says:
News Limited chairman John Hartigan, the Storm's owners, said "at this early stage" the architect of the elaborate payment system was former CEO Brian Waldron, now the boss of incoming Super 15 rugby team Melbourne Rebels.

Saintsfan
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Come on...

There would have been nudge nudge get yours...the longer the corruption the more "acceptable" it would have been deemed.

Everyone "wondered" how they were affording the talent.
Why would anyone mention anything to anyone as the more persons that know about it the more chance it comes out and no money for anyone is the result...or back to earning previos wages that were below what one was earning when on the take

This is not King's Cross you know and these aren't policemen who likes strippers and what not

The Saintsfan Cometh
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Anyone on here a member, and how do you feel about paying your hard earned money towards this club :?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:
This is not King's Cross you know and these aren't policemen who likes strippers and what not
5 years worth of cheating would as a minimum mean that goodly number of players would have known, even if not all knew.

saintnick12
Club Player

Can't see many people turning up to see their games when they get no points if they win for the rest of the year.

And I also find it hard to believe that they would be the only team doing it.

PS...hope Waldron didn't do anything dodgy in his time at the Saints. We might get stripped of our Wizard cup premiership :wink:

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The NRL have another problem and this time in their own head quarters. The storm were backed today to win over one million by finishing last. How could that happen.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Two sets of books.

That's the crunch. They have talked of rats in the organisation.

They have to give back $1.1 mill in prize money plus the fine from the NRL which will be distributed amongst the other clubs.

It was unclear whether the respective runners-up will be awarded the Premierships or not.

I couldn't imagine what would have happened if this had happened in the AFL. Imagine if this was Geelong and not the Storm? Would we win a flag? How would the runners-up in the NRL feel?

The biggest disappointment for the NRL is there are 2 sets of books and signed stat decs by the relevant people.

It could be a criminal matter and has been referred to the police. Brian Waldron may be shaking in his boots to say the least.

This is just shocking for the sport, regardless of being a fan or not. News Ltd have claimed no knowledge of the two sets of books.

How would the supporters feel with Storm playing for no points?
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Thu 22 Apr 2010 5:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saintsfan
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
5 years worth of cheating would as a minimum mean that goodly number of players would have known, even if not all knew.
300k or just over spread across 5 years with 25 players in the top nrl squad...

it seems that even if say the top 6 ate all the extra annual money it would still equate to just over 50k a year...so nothing noticeable surely in terms of a 4/5/6 million dollar salary cap

The Saintsfan Cometh
saintnick12
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Anyone on here a member, and how do you feel about paying your hard earned money towards this club :?
I'm not a member, but I guess a supporter. I always kept an eye on their results, familiar with most of their players and watched some games around finals times. Thought about going to see them on Good Friday this year but something else came up.

Very disappointing. Would not surprise me at all if the team folded.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
Why would they know. They just get a salary. I dont think the extra is paid in brown paper bags.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

They are reporting that the premierships will just go down in history as 'no winner' and the runners up won't get anything