Nick Riewoldt's hard cell

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Nick Riewoldt's hard cell

Another opportunity awaits!
StNoodles
Club Player

great stuff nicky boy!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Anyone else reckon there's a bit too much 'when we reach finals' assuming going on?

How about we get there first.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Great to see Nick doing what he can to get fit again.

Im taking nothing for granted and looking no further ahead than the next game. The only future game I have thought about is to wish that Nick might be back to play by round 17 against the Hawks as I will be at that game. Thats purely selfish thinking because I want to see him play live again. :oops:

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I have a chronic case of one-week-at-a-time-itis I'm afraid....

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Im the same Thinline, I think about the game coming up, hope the boys give it 100%. I send myself mad if I try to think about more than that and play out what if scenarios.. because nothing is guarenteed

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Anyone else reckon there's a bit too much 'when we reach finals' assuming going on?

No.

We should completely expect to be in the finals at this stage of our 'window' (for want of a better term).

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Anyone else reckon there's a bit too much 'when we reach finals' assuming going on?

So he shouldn't use the chamber then? Maybe he should wait until we're mathematical lock ins for the 8 until he becomes totally thorough...

Bring back the Lockett era
Milton66
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:

No.

We should completely expect to be in the finals at this stage of our 'window' (for want of a better term).
Correct. And be ready to face them without Roo if needed.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Why shouldn't we expect to be in the finals :?

Qld Saints Supporter Group
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

For me if I start to think about that too much I just about get heart palpitations. I want to win a flag so bad it hurts. So if I focus on one game at a time it takes the edge off a bit.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Just to make everyone feel a little better. Last year Essendon got into final 8 with 10 wins. We already have 4, so good chance we can win at least another 6. Hopefully everyone feels we are good enough to do that. So relax folks and enjoy the journey.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

1/ We have won four games.

For finals you need somewhere between 10-12 depending on how all the other teams go.

So at worst that is 8 wins out of 18.
Top 4 is another issue.

All of our team, including Roo, need to have the mindset to do that bit more to improve our performance this year. Roo is the Chamber is just one of thye 1%ers that all add up.

2/ In the article it also discusses that the treatment might get Roo back for more H&A games. ie will help us get into the finals by an increased chance of winning more H&A games.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Nick Riewoldt and the Hyperbarric Chamber of Secrets.

Is it possible the damaged ligament can heal stronger than before?

Saintsfan
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:

No.

Persons in charge and people involved within multi-national billion dollar businesses make positive predictions years in advance about their entity and we should adopt similar mantra and predict we won't just make the finals but we will win the thing. Anything else is a failure

The Saintsfan Cometh
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:I have a chronic case of one-week-at-a-time-itis I'm afraid....
I understand where you are coming from, Thinline. It's like a bad childhood memory! However, I think even the most conservative Saints supporters can expect us to play finals. :wink:

sainta
Club Player

I don't know about ligaments but my dentist removes wisdom teeth from AFL footballers in the off-season as the jaw becomes stronger once it mends from their removal. Perhaps the same theory applies to other parts of the body?

And I also expect us to make finals with or without Roo. Looking forward to seeing how the set up goes with Kosi in this week. That might make people a bit less anxious when there's a big target.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:Nick Riewoldt and the Hyperbarric Chamber of Secrets.

Is it possible the damaged ligament can heal stronger than before?
I think the oxygen promotes new cell growth which will knit the tendon better and prevents scar tissue in the early healing stage.

In the old days, there was a lot of rest involved which promoted scar tissue and therefore more scope for re-injury.

Don't think it will be stronger but it will be closer to original strength.

Btw, I will buy Gold Class seats for Nick's new movie. :wink:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Hey, I EXPECT we'll make finals, but only if the team continues to works it's freckle off every week. I will never assume, though.

Like I said - chronic one-week-at-a-time-itis.

Caught it in 1998 and will never shrug it. My own mental herpes, if you will...

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I'll stick with my origonal GUESS that #12 will be back in Rd 16 !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

give him a chopra book :twisted: :P

markp
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:give him a chopra book :twisted: :P
Or a copy of 'The Secret'! :P

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

as against Nick Riewoldt's Soft Cell.....tainted love anyone?

Another opportunity awaits!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:

I think the oxygen promotes new cell growth which will knit the tendon better and prevents scar tissue in the early healing stage.
That is the theory.

Evidently with the tendon blood circulation (and hence oxygen supply) is quite poor when compared to the main part of the hamstring.

However having heard some discussion on it today it appears that the medical and conditioning worlds are actually quite divided about whether this type of treatment for this type of injury is actually effective. Though no one thought it would be harmful and that it "may" makea slight difference.

Still a 1% here and there may have Roo back a bit earlier and perhaps better heeled as well.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

An articular ligament connects bone to bone...

A tendon connects muscle to bone/bone to muscle.

Roo injured the latter.

The hamstring muscles are susceptible to injury when they rapidly stretched whilst acting over two joints.
Generally an avulsion fracture would've been better to repair than something to the magnitude of what Roo did. (part of the bone detached with tendon intact still on the detached bone).
It is better if the tear is in a tendon rather than a muscle because in a muscle it would repair as fibrous tissue and have an inherent weakness compared to the hamstrings in his other leg.