Just watched the replay - Gwilt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

karnak
Club Player

with the defensive style that we adopt all over the ground (I Love It), I think it makes sense to blood players through the backline. It makes sense to keep Gwilt in the backline and release other players, that have the defensive skills to further improve our forward pressure.

I'm really excited about Sam Fisher playing forward, got an inkling that he just may be our '3rd Tall' when Roo is back. Or alternatively, release Roo to the wing permanently.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
Milton66
SS Life Member

Jimmy G set to shine this year. Provides good physical strength. Something that Raph lacked last year.

Go the 'fro!!

Legend. :D

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I disagree that this new Gwilt is simply a result of him finding his place in defence, it just seems more than that.

I would like to see him rotate forward in the coming weeks, don't think it will impact his feeling of being settled at all, we are talking the 2010 model here.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I disagree that this new Gwilt is simply a result of him finding his place in defence, it just seems more than that.

I agree that he is more settled asa footballer now...ie reads the play better and makes better decisions.

However I would prefer to mainly leave him back at present, with some forays forward so that he can settle and grow in confidence.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Milton66
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:I disagree that this new Gwilt is simply a result of him finding his place in defence, it just seems more than that.

I would like to see him rotate forward in the coming weeks, don't think it will impact his feeling of being settled at all, we are talking the 2010 model here.
I still reckon he looks a bit lost up forward, K.

From a big pic perspective, his foot skiils make him ideal as a back flanker to set up play... in much the same way BJ has done (not comparing the 2).

I think he's a bit top heavy to play fwd, and I'm not 100% on his overhead marking yet.

With both Roo and Kosi, he have to play as a medium fwd, otherwise, he'd be wasted as 3rd option.

I just don't believe that you put players with certain skills in places where they will be less effective. Hence why BJ isn't a full timer up fwd... he's too valuable elsewhere.

It all starts with the back 6, and we buidl from there.

IMO :wink:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Sure, opinions are all good...I still think we'll see him up forward at times during the coming months.

I am just happy he has found a place in the side and is looking like he is enjoying his footy.

Saintsfan
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:

I still reckon he looks a bit lost up forward, K.

From a big pic perspective, his foot skiils make him ideal as a back flanker to set up play... in much the same way BJ has done (not comparing the 2).

I think he's a bit top heavy to play fwd, and I'm not 100% on his overhead marking yet.

With both Roo and Kosi, he have to play as a medium fwd, otherwise, he'd be wasted as 3rd option.

I just don't believe that you put players with certain skills in places where they will be less effective. Hence why BJ isn't a full timer up fwd... he's too valuable elsewhere.

It all starts with the back 6, and we buidl from there.

IMO :wink:
Gwilt started well and finished well however from memory there was not much in the middle. However when he was in the game he played very well and was instrumental with us keeping in tough at the start and winning the game at the end.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Milton66
SS Life Member

He struggled up fwd IIRC. Harry O did a good job.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

nah. playing forward is hard. you have to demand the ball and run to the right spots, constantly. takes a lot of concentration and motivation. the kid's had plenty of chances down there without convincing me, so i don't see why 2010 would be any different.

i hope he'll play 25 games in the backline this year, but i suspect we'll have a chance at some point to see how he goes up forward.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

this is an excellent full page article on him in this weeks"inside football'...headed....'patchwork gwilt'.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:this is an excellent full page article on him in this weeks"inside football'...headed....'patchwork gwilt'.....
Oh, is there anyway you can link the article Stinger?

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I thought it was one of the best games I've seen Gwilt play! He was very good!! Hopefully there is more to follow! Good stuff Jimmy!! ;)

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Leo.J
SS Life Member

If guys like Gwilt can keep improving our premiership window will stay open for longer...

karnak
Club Player

Gwilt's form has been really important for us this season. If he hadn't stepped up, then we wouldn't even be entertaining the idea of moving Fisher up forward in Roo's stint in the coaches box. This really shows the level of faith that Ross has in him.

Go for it Gwilt, looking forward to this week being your best game yet as you continue to grab your opportunities with both hands.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!