Time for Saints Footy. How do we deliver?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Finna
Club Player

Re: Time for Saints Footy. How do we deliver?

Milan Faletic wrote:This is our opportunity to show the footy world that we play a brand of footy that is not dependent on one player but on a team structure. It is based on discipline, belief in the system, and implementation of that system by every player wearing a St Kilda jumper.

It's called Saints Footy.

Rotations:
I think by rotating players forward we may be able to develop a game plan and a path to the forward line that becomes unpredictable.
It will also develop a forward structure that has flexibility and an ability to adapt and combat any type of defence or even weather conditions.
Players like Fisher, Gilbert, Blake, BJ, Gwilt, Stanley, Raph, Zac, Peake and Grammy can all play at both ends of the ground. They can all mark, play tall, run and carry, and kick a goal.

Talls::
Gardiner, Kosi, McEvoy and Kingy can all play in the ruck and forward, and even float back when necessary or create the link at half back or half forward. They are all pack breakers, are mobile (even Kingy) and can take a contested mark.

Midfield:
If the midfield can do their job, by winning the centre clearances and delivering quickly and acccurately then several players can play tall and mark in the forward 50.
Dal, Joey, Armo, Eddy, Steven, Mini, Schneider, CJ, Geary, Ray, Milney and Lenny can all play midfield and then float forward to confuse the opposition.

Back Ups:
Then there is Lynch, the Smiths and others who are working their way in to the side from the 2nds.

Bakes:
Bakes can remain an all round tagger and back man.

Lyon:
As RL and quite a few of the footy journos have said and observed, we are starting to play Saints footy and if we follow the structures we should be able to cover Roo and may infact become a team with more depth and surprise than the team before Roo got injured.

Roo:
Goes without saying what a big loss Roo is but with adversity comes opportunity. It is only Round 3 so there is also potential for Roo to get back with a strong hammy and a knee that has been given the rest it needs from the tendonitis. There is a mid season break in that time.

Target:
We do have 3 wins in the bank. 12 more wins out of 19 remaining games will nearly ensure a top 4 spot. WB just missed the GF last year with a 15 and 7 record in the Home and Away season. Any more wins will certainly get us close to the top 2.

It's time to deliver the type of footy that we have pledged to the footy world - Saints Footy!!
Great Post Milan.
As much as this is going to be a huge challenge I cant help but be a little excited about the possibilities of other players stepping up and defining themselves in a new way.

I dont think we'll lose many games while Roo is out. I believe we will still be top two. We have the system and any good system can be carried out by a number of people. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised bu the next 2-3 months till the champ returns.

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
Kate
Club Player

What's the opposite of cringe?

Because the footy that our boys played in the last quarter last Friday night made me swell with pride. I don't care what you call it, it was magnificent, and it's that footy that will take us to a flag.

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Saints Footy - Sweet!

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

"Sainstfooty" is a concept that should be kept inhouse - for private consumption by the players in my opinion - if it is indeed taken seriously by the players.

The minute the term is used widely in the public arena - it loses its worth and it becomes just another cliche that the players themselves will start to cringe at.

Nothing wrong with the inhouse style of "Catsfooty" ..or pussyfooting .. it's delivered 2 premierships in 3 years.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:"Sainstfooty" is a concept that should be kept inhouse - for private consumption by the players in my opinion - if it is indeed taken seriously by the players.

The minute it is used widely in the public arena - it loses its worth and it becomes just another cliche that the players themselves will start to cringe at.
Didn't see Roo cringe last night when he used it in his video message to the supporters. IMHO it only becomes cringe worthy when people don't believe in it.

A lot of overseas sports followers and even NRL followers find the goal umpires, the club song after the game, and the run through banners corny and tacky but I don't hear AFL fans even thinking twice about these things. We cheer the banner when it is lifted, we wait for the goal umpire's two fingers before we cheer and we all love our club song. No talk of changing the simple Saints club song. If you believe and have the courage to back something, it can galvanise the club and give us a cause.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

The quest for the premiership cup should be the cause ... and the less fuss the better.

"Just do it .. make it happen in silence and don't let the next big chance slip away ".. is the slogan i prefer.

Fearless
Club Player

I love the term Saints Footy, the pleyers have embraced it and the footy world know what it is. Friday night was a great example.

But lets not overuse talk of Saints Footy, it is enough just to display it.

Fearless, Saints footy. That's what I like.
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Fearless wrote:I love the term Saints Footy, the pleyers have embraced it and the footy world know what it is. Friday night was a great example.

But lets not overuse talk of Saints Footy, it is enough just to display it.
Good call, Fearless. Saints Footy is, as they say, actions not words. So let's see them display it. That's all I was saying in my OP. How do we deliver Saints Footy?

3:16
Club Player

Re: Time for Saints Footy. How do we deliver?

Finna wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:This is our opportunity to show the footy world that we play a brand of footy that is not dependent on one player but on a team structure. It is based on discipline, belief in the system, and implementation of that system by every player wearing a St Kilda jumper.

It's called Saints Footy.

Rotations:
I think by rotating players forward we may be able to develop a game plan and a path to the forward line that becomes unpredictable.
It will also develop a forward structure that has flexibility and an ability to adapt and combat any type of defence or even weather conditions.
Players like Fisher, Gilbert, Blake, BJ, Gwilt, Stanley, Raph, Zac, Peake and Grammy can all play at both ends of the ground. They can all mark, play tall, run and carry, and kick a goal.

Talls::
Gardiner, Kosi, McEvoy and Kingy can all play in the ruck and forward, and even float back when necessary or create the link at half back or half forward. They are all pack breakers, are mobile (even Kingy) and can take a contested mark.

Midfield:
If the midfield can do their job, by winning the centre clearances and delivering quickly and acccurately then several players can play tall and mark in the forward 50.
Dal, Joey, Armo, Eddy, Steven, Mini, Schneider, CJ, Geary, Ray, Milney and Lenny can all play midfield and then float forward to confuse the opposition.

Back Ups:
Then there is Lynch, the Smiths and others who are working their way in to the side from the 2nds.

Bakes:
Bakes can remain an all round tagger and back man.

Lyon:
As RL and quite a few of the footy journos have said and observed, we are starting to play Saints footy and if we follow the structures we should be able to cover Roo and may infact become a team with more depth and surprise than the team before Roo got injured.

Roo:
Goes without saying what a big loss Roo is but with adversity comes opportunity. It is only Round 3 so there is also potential for Roo to get back with a strong hammy and a knee that has been given the rest it needs from the tendonitis. There is a mid season break in that time.

Target:
We do have 3 wins in the bank. 12 more wins out of 19 remaining games will nearly ensure a top 4 spot. WB just missed the GF last year with a 15 and 7 record in the Home and Away season. Any more wins will certainly get us close to the top 2.

It's time to deliver the type of footy that we have pledged to the footy world - Saints Footy!!
Great Post Milan.
As much as this is going to be a huge challenge I cant help but be a little excited about the possibilities of other players stepping up and defining themselves in a new way.

I dont think we'll lose many games while Roo is out. I believe we will still be top two. We have the system and any good system can be carried out by a number of people. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised bu the next 2-3 months till the champ returns.
Here here people, that post from big Mal is spot-on!!!!!

This injury to our "inspiring leader" as bad as it is, will ice the cake for our footy club, by the time Big Rooey is back, we will be unstoppable and extremely unpredictable!!!!!

We will be sitting top 4, when Rooey gets back, he'll have a few games to find his feet and match-fitness before starting what will be a very successfull Sept!!!!!

Where will the goals come from, I hear you ask????? Mid-Fielders, Resting Ruckmen, Running Backs and Pencil Kosi, Milney and Adam S in for at least 30-40each during this period!!!!!

"Cause Stone Cold said so"!!!!!

Shane Birss in 2008- Go the Pircha!!!!! RIP
Jarryn Geary-MIP in 2010!!!!!
Armitage=2010 SuperStar!!!!! (Luke Who)?????
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Its a rallying point for the team and supporters.

It is no different to the Blood culture that was instilled by Roos (and Lyon) in Sydney, or the Shinboner culture at North.

It isn't an inhouse thing. Saints players and coaches use it at every opportunity, and both groups have buy-in to what it means.

What does it mean? I am sure it means different things to different people.

Some may think structure, others pride in the jumper.

To me it measn resolve. In the past I would have not just expected but known that the team to overrun with what happened and the blow the injuries to Roo, Sam Fisher, and Lenny copped.

hell i have seen it in the recent past. I saw it against Freo in 2005 when we copped three injuries (and bias umpiring by the cheat Head). But we lost three players in 10 minutes and we were overrun. In 2006 we were killing geelong but they overrun us when we lost three to injury by halftime.

On Friday, I fully expected the Saints to go down, but by a close margin and in a fight.

However the resolve I saw in the 4th qtr was inspirational. The players actually lifted and took their pressure to another level. This is what Saintsfooty is to me. Not the squibbing frontrunning garbage from the likes of a mentally weak Collingwood, but sheer will and resolve to win that game.

Some people like to make excuses for Collingwood not kicking a goal. Sure they had chances, but they have to take chances, afterall we kicked 10.9 and if we kicked straight we could have been 14.5. Too bad, factrs are they didn't score a goal with us down to twenty men for most of the second half.

Saints were all guts and all courage and all resolve.

that to me is Saintsfooty.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Its a rallying point for the team and supporters.

It is no different to the Blood culture that was instilled by Roos (and Lyon) in Sydney, or the Shinboner culture at North.

It isn't an inhouse thing. Saints players and coaches use it at every opportunity, and both groups have buy-in to what it means.

With respect it is my understanding that to the St Kilda Players and Coaches it has a very precise set of criteria and expectations in terms of how St Kilda players are expected to play and structure up.

They have the belief and confidence that if they deliver on these (Saint's Footy) that it will deliver the Saints their best possible chance of winning.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 15 Apr 2010 2:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
stinger wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
Or because Nick Reiwoldt is the saviour jesus christ amen his word is gospel? Doesn't mean everything he says I have to agree with and have not in the past.

don't blaspheme gosling.... :roll:
LOL, well you didn't agree with him when it came to Luke Ball. :shock: :wink:

Not that I am in agreeance with the gosling either. :D

Saints Footy is a values system by which the club lives by.

Nothing cringeworthy about that IMHO.

Much like Bloods Footy.

It's a values and leadership system create by the players for the players.

It's about spirit and attitude... not a game plan.

i waa talking about his use of the lord's name.....and i wasn't referring to roo.... :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
samoht
Saintsational Legend

saints footy sounds like we're re-inventing the wheel.

If Collingwood are weak or lack resolve - it's not because they don't have a brand or slogan - it's because they are weak... simple as that.

It's all rhetoric - I reckon "less words and more cups"... nothing wrong with the Cats approach, it's worked for them and will continue to work - because they are keeping it real.
No empty words or slogans for them - just real cups.
Last edited by samoht on Thu 15 Apr 2010 2:08pm, edited 2 times in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:saints footy sounds like we're re-inventing the wheel.

If Collingwood are weak or lack resolve - it's not because they don't have a brand or slogan - it's because they are weak... simple as that.

It's all rhetoric - I reckon "less words and more cups"... nothing wrong with the Cats approach, it's worked for them and will continue to work - because they are keeping it real.
No empty words or slogans for them - just real cups.
Actually the Cats example back up Saints Footy.

Their playing group resolved as a group on how they are expected to play.

Again ignore the Saint's TV ads who have seized on saints footy as a catch-cry.

As with the Cats what is important is that the players have a firm and clear understanding of what is required in how they play the game, deliver on workrate etc... and that they are committed to this.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Actually the Cats example back up Saints Footy...

As with the Cats what is important is that the players have a firm and clear understanding of what is required in how they play the game, deliver on workrate etc... and that they are committed to this
If the players don't understand or fall short of workrates or what's required they are replaced with someone who does... that's not Saints Footy it's reality again.

Maybe the Saint slogan should be - "Keep it real or the premiership will remain a dream"... that's the Cat's example (they don't need a slogan or a call to action) and it's worked for them.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:saints footy sounds like we're re-inventing the wheel
The wheel is very relevant and a brilliant analogy. Good call.

After the original wheel was invented, there were wheels developed for:

Matchbox cars
Machinery
Motor vehicles
Tricycles
Trains
Trucks
Bicycles

and lots of other things.

Saints Footy is symbolically, the wheel that the club and its players have chosen to get us to the finish line first. We're not re-inventing it, but just using what we believe is the correct one for the race to the 2010 flag.

And the marketing department is using it to increase revenue to the club.

Now, there isn't anything wrong with that, is there?

Great call.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
And the marketing department is using Saints Footy to increase revenue to the club.

Now, there isn't anything wrong with that, is there?
Not at all .. I agree with the marketing angle.

As long as the coach and players don't overuse it .. as long as they (our players and coach) aren't suggesting something new has been invented or a new unique standard has been set which must be met by our players - implying that other clubs are setting lower standards for their players and aren't requiring as much from them.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
joffaboy wrote:What does it mean? I am sure it means different things to different people.

With respect it is my understanding that to the St Kilda Players and Coaches it has a very precise set of criteria and expectations in terms of how St Kilda players are expected to play and structure up.

They have the belief and confidence that if they deliver on these (Saint's Footy) that it will deliver the Saints their best possible chance of winning.
yes sR, thats what i meant by different things to differnet people. To the palyers and the coaches it may mean something totally different to the supporter.

What shines through is the resolve.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

As with the Cats what is important is that the players have a firm and clear understanding of what is required in how they play the game, deliver on workrate etc... and that they are committed to this
If the players don't understand or fall short of workrates or what's required they are replaced with someone who does... that's not Saints Footy it's reality again.

Maybe the Saint slogan should be - "Keep it real or the premiership will remain a dream"... that's the Cat's example (they don't need a slogan or a call to action) and it's worked for them.
All Saints Footy is, is in essence a set of agreed KPI's. By a player referring to it they are just reminding themselves of what the agreed points are.

If you think the Cat's won by turning into hippies then good luck to you.

IMO they did not suddenly lapse into "keep it real", but rather working with Leading Teams and their coach to face up the fact that they were not delivering....and to then importantly translate that in a set of behaviours that they agreed to and committed to.

Players have to know how they can work harder.

If an employer instructed a employee to "work harder" what does that mean?

Just "working" harder means nothing. It would have had to have gone into specifics of performance and what is a good performance.

Dal and Luke when dropped would not have been asked to contemplate their navel, but rather some specific performance parameters would have been identified as needing correction.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
samoht wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

All Saints Footy is, is in essence a set of agreed KPI's. By a player referring to it they are just reminding themselves of what the agreed points are.

If you think the Cat's won by turning into hippies then good luck to you.

IMO they did not suddenly lapse into "keep it real", but rather working with Leading Teams and their coach to face up the fact that they were not delivering....and to then importantly translate that in a set of behaviours that they agreed to and committed to.

Players have to know how they can work harder.

If an employer instructed a employee to "work harder" what does that mean?

Just "working" harder means nothing. It would have had to have gone into specifics of performance and what is a good performance.

Dal and Luke when dropped would not have been asked to contemplate their navel, but rather some specific performance parameters would have been identified as needing correction.
If the Saints win the premiership this year I'll parachute down into the MCG with a Saints Footy chute post match - how's that ?
If they deliver - I'll deliver.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Its a rallying point for the team and supporters.

Some may think structure, others pride in the jumper.

To me it measn resolve. In the past I would have not just expected but known that the team to overrun with what happened and the blow the injuries to Roo, Sam Fisher, and Lenny copped.

hell i have seen it in the recent past. I saw it against Freo in 2005 when we copped three injuries (and bias umpiring by the cheat Head). But we lost three players in 10 minutes and we were overrun. In 2006 we were killing geelong but they overrun us when we lost three to injury by halftime.

On Friday, I fully expected the Saints to go down, but by a close margin and in a fight.

However the resolve I saw in the 4th qtr was inspirational. The players actually lifted and took their pressure to another level. This is what Saintsfooty is to me. Not the squibbing frontrunning garbage from the likes of a mentally weak Collingwood, but sheer will and resolve to win that game.

Some people like to make excuses for Collingwood not kicking a goal. Sure they had chances, but they have to take chances, afterall we kicked 10.9 and if we kicked straight we could have been 14.5. Too bad, factrs are they didn't score a goal with us down to twenty men for most of the second half.

Saints were all guts and all courage and all resolve.

that to me is Saintsfooty.
well put young man

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:

If the Saints win the premiership this year I'll parachute down into the MCG with a Saints Footy chute post match - how's that ?
Sounds like a plan....

...and if we lose..you can just not pull the rip chord !!!! :wink:

Saintsfan
Club Player

This almost sounds like a religious cult

The Saintsfan Cometh
starsign
Club Player

Saintsfan wrote:Saints Footy is an absolute joke.

It is the first catchphrase way of playing football that has not won a flag either which makes it more embaressing. Usually an individual style or tactic gets labelled something after it succeeds. We did not win the Grand Final. Therefore it did not succeed.

It is cringeworthy.
Cringeworthy!!!LOL

Oh my dear young Saintsfan!!!
After reading though all this, I'm going to "labell" your OP "embaressing" even "cringeworthy" in itself
and I'm not referring to the spelling , but its content

Take it from this old fart, who at least witnessed the '66 GF win....we have had for over 100 yrs ( though I don't go back quite that far) a loser mentality as percieved by our opposition
For the majority of our long history our fans/supporters generally had to be satisfied with hero worshiping individuals at the expense of the team itself.....maybe due to lack of success , but that's another issue
But the "point of it all" is that "Saints Footy" embodies a winners philosophy based on a fervent "team" culture that we as a footy club have now embraced ...and I would think our opponents are starting to respect it as such also
In short. it offers a much better chance for supporters like you to witness ultimate success than any other previous StKilda FC mentality/concept/catch-cry...call it what you like ....but for this old loyal fan it's definitely not cringeworthy, but the right way forward and a promise of better things to come
So sit back, think positive and enjoy the ride, as Saints Footy will ultimately deliver if the boys keep embracing it....and believe me it's the only way to go!!

samoht
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
samoht wrote:

Sounds like a plan....

...and if we lose..you can just not pull the rip chord !!!! :wink:
Ouch .. lol ,,
Then I won't be observing my KPI's and would get kicked off my team, perhaps for good. :wink:

Saintsfan
Club Player

starsign wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:Saints Footy is an absolute joke.

It is the first catchphrase way of playing football that has not won a flag either which makes it more embaressing. Usually an individual style or tactic gets labelled something after it succeeds. We did not win the Grand Final. Therefore it did not succeed.

It is cringeworthy.
Cringeworthy!!!LOL

Oh my dear young Saintsfan!!!
After reading though all this, I'm going to "labell" your OP "embaressing" even "cringeworthy" in itself
and I'm not referring to the spelling , but its content

Take it from this old fart, who at least witnessed the '66 GF win....we have had for over 100 yrs ( though I don't go back quite that far) a loser mentality as percieved by our opposition
For the majority of our long history our fans/supporters generally had to be satisfied with hero worshiping individuals at the expense of the team itself.....maybe due to lack of success , but that's another issue
But the "point of it all" is that "Saints Footy" embodies a winners philosophy based on a fervent "team" culture that we as a footy club have now embraced ...and I would think our opponents are starting to respect it as such also
In short. it offers a much better chance for supporters like you to witness ultimate success than any other previous StKilda FC mentality/concept/catch-cry...call it what you like ....but for this old loyal fan it's definitely not cringeworthy, but the right way forward and a promise of better things to come
So sit back, think positive and enjoy the ride, as Saints Footy will ultimately deliver if the boys keep embracing it....and believe me it's the only way to go!!
It is slightly strange that supporters are embracing this like a religious cult or that they actually apply 'Saints Footy' to their personal and work lives

The Saintsfan Cometh