A forlorn figure after the game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: So you think he wouldnt get a game but you are upset that a hack player went to another hack team. That is what I dont get about people being upset. i could understand it if he was a star but he aint so why would anyone care. By the way most of his mates wouldnt be at sandy.
Who said i was upset?

It was Ball who looked upset on Friday night, not me.

All I said was you sell your soul for money which is what he did and you reap the rewards.

If you dont realise this thread is about Luke Ball and the way he looked on Friday night.

Instead in trying to stifle peoples opinion how about you give one of your own.

My opinion is my opinion, and never once did i say i was upset.

The only person who seems to be upset on this thread is you because not everyone agrees 100% with every single thing you post.

Dont like my opinion? Well dont read it. and certainly dont post about it.

You seem to follow posters around attacking their opinions in almost
every thread.

You do know this is a football forum for opinions dont you? We dont have to slavishly follow everything you think is correct.

As I said. dont like it dont respond. Unfortunately it seems that you are compelled to run around attacking others at every opportunity.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote: So you think he wouldnt get a game but you are upset that a hack player went to another hack team. That is what I dont get about people being upset. i could understand it if he was a star but he aint so why would anyone care. By the way most of his mates wouldnt be at sandy.
Who said i was upset?

It was Ball who looked upset on Friday night, not me.

All I said was you sell your soul for money which is what he did and you reap the rewards.

If you dont realise this thread is about Luke Ball and the way he looked on Friday night.

Instead in trying to stifle peoples opinion how about you give one of your own.

My opinion is my opinion, and never once did i say i was upset.

The only person who seems to be upset on this thread is you because not everyone agrees 100% with every single thing you post.

Dont like my opinion? Well dont read it. and certainly dont post about it.

You seem to follow posters around attacking their opinions in almost
every thread.

You do know this is a football forum for opinions dont you? We dont have to slavishly follow everything you think is correct.

As I said. dont like it dont respond. Unfortunately it seems that you are compelled to run around attacking others at every opportunity.

Talk about an over reaction. I asked a fair question and didnt attack you at all. Just stated my opinion about why I dont get that people are upset. If you are not so be it. That is good for you. My point still remains that most on here doubt he would get a game so why wouldnt he leave and it was never for the money. i dont care what people say about that. It had about 10% to do with why he left. He like you realised he would have struggled for a game this year. By the way of course Bally was upset. The team he plays for lost.

Saint Mik
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
St. Luke wrote:The Herald Sun the next day showed an interesting photo on the back page with contrast between a 'banged up' jubilant Hayes and an unscathed and miserable Ball! I'm sure after that game there were a lot of questions dancing around in his head!

Perhaps Malthouse asked Ball if he was good with his fists??? As that seemed to be the game plan from the start!
his face dropped into amazement when Malthouse abused Milne. he was standing next to or just behind Malthouse and looked amazed.

End of the game he looked shocked and very upset. Probably he has saddled himself with a bunch of downhill skiers and receivers who squibbed it on Friday night, and watch as blokes in his old colours won a truly courageous and famous victory.

$500k for your soul Luke. Thats all it is worth apparently :roll:
JB do you think he would be getting a game with us at the moment?
He missed two easy shots from 40 metres on Friday night, the second not even making the distance.

He turned it over directly twice for two St.Kilda goals.

Armo, Steven, and Geary are better at doing what RL wants and therefore he would be sulking at Sandy like last year.

My opinion. You can argue with it, but thats my opinion.

Still, he walked out on his amtes and wouldn't do the work required, so he gets what he deserves.
So you think he wouldnt get a game but you are upset that a hack player went to another hack team. That is what I dont get about people being upset. i could understand it if he was a star but he aint so why would anyone care. By the way most of his mates wouldnt be at sandy.
I just think that after all our club has given him in time and money over the journey it was time for him to give a bit back, he was willing to take massive sums of money for his below average services yet when it was put to him to balance the books a bit with the new contract he walked.

He would get a game if he worked hard enough, but he is better than that in his book and did not respond to what RL wanted out of him, you know what he should take the No.5 at the Pies along with the FIGJAM that comes with it.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
St. Luke wrote:The Herald Sun the next day showed an interesting photo on the back page with contrast between a 'banged up' jubilant Hayes and an unscathed and miserable Ball! I'm sure after that game there were a lot of questions dancing around in his head!

Perhaps Malthouse asked Ball if he was good with his fists??? As that seemed to be the game plan from the start!
his face dropped into amazement when Malthouse abused Milne. he was standing next to or just behind Malthouse and looked amazed.

End of the game he looked shocked and very upset. Probably he has saddled himself with a bunch of downhill skiers and receivers who squibbed it on Friday night, and watch as blokes in his old colours won a truly courageous and famous victory.

He missed two easy shots from 40 metres on Friday night, the second not even making the distance.

Armo, Steven, and Geary are better at doing what RL wants and therefore he would be sulking at Sandy like last year.

Still, he walked out on his amtes and wouldn't do the work required, so he gets what he deserves.
So you think he wouldnt get a game but you are upset that a hack player went to another hack team. That is what I dont get about people being upset. i could understand it if he was a star but he aint so why would anyone care. By the way most of his mates wouldnt be at sandy.
I just think that after all our club has given him in time and money over the journey it was time for him to give a bit back, he was willing to take massive sums of money for his below average services yet when it was put to him to balance the books a bit with the new contract he walked.

He would get a game if he worked hard enough, but he is better than that in his book and did not respond to what RL wanted out of him, you know what he should take the No.5 at the Pies along with the FIGJAM that comes with it.
How do you know he would get a game if he worked hard enough. Id be pretty sure he is working very hard now and his first 2 games were ordinary at best. he saw the writing on the wall IMO.

Saint Mik
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Saint Mik wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

How do you know he would get a game if he worked hard enough. Id be pretty sure he is working very hard now and his first 2 games were ordinary at best. he saw the writing on the wall IMO.
I think he would get a game if he worked hard enough but that was never going to happen under RL, the only writing he saw was the signed cheque from Eddie and a new coach that will tell him what he wants to hear instead of telling him how it is. He has Mick sounding like GT already :roll:

I'm sure Mick rates him in the top 5 middies of the comp also at the minute, give me a break.

Look we were better to have him than not but we are better off without him because of the way he now rates himself and the money he gets for overrated influences on and off the ground.

So Grammy was spot on with rubbing his fingers together on the mark the other night, and the players know better than all of us.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

So how was he going to get a game at the Saints if he couldnt under RL. I dont think RL is going anywhere. Anyway you think he left for money and I reckon he left because he saw the writing on the wall.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:So how was he going to get a game at the Saints if he couldnt under RL. I dont think RL is going anywhere. Anyway you think he left for money and I reckon he left because he saw the writing on the wall.
If that's the case, then I understand not wanting to go to another CLub with a great midfield (Geelong, Hawthorn)
or an Interstate Club
But why not consider going to other CLubs 'crying out' for his talent - Melbourne, Richmond, Essendon, Carlton (to replace Stevens)?

Why only Collingwood?
What was the attraction there that made it so appealing to Ball?
An attraction so great that he refused to even speak with them.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:So how was he going to get a game at the Saints if he couldnt under RL. I dont think RL is going anywhere. Anyway you think he left for money and I reckon he left because he saw the writing on the wall.
If that's the case, then I understand not wanting to go to another CLub with a great midfield (Geelong, Hawthorn)
or an Interstate Club
But why not consider going to other CLubs 'crying out' for his talent - Melbourne, Richmond, Essendon, Carlton (to replace Stevens)?

Why only Collingwood?
Pretty sure the atraction was they wanted him and they were top 4 last year. They also got Jolly so he would have thought they could again finish top. He knows he probably only has 3 years left so bottom clubs wouldnt be an option.

Saint Mik
Club Player

The same way he got to play in a grand final after being dropped during the year, RL would give him a game if he did the right things, the only thing RL would not do is over reward him for his efforts as we have done in the past which is fair enough and that is where it goes pear shaped and they both say get farked then.

LB got his money and RL stood his ground and said you want to go go the hard way put a price on your head and then put that price into actions out on the ground and we will see who wins. Like I said all the pressure in now on Luke and the Pies with the over the odds contract, I just hope like hell we get a flag and the Pies miss the 8 with his input.

I am actually sick of this bloke but its good for a forum chat :wink:

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
or an Interstate Club

Why only Collingwood?
Pretty sure the atraction was they wanted him and they were top 4 last year. They also got Jolly so he would have thought they could again finish top. He knows he probably only has 3 years left so bottom clubs wouldnt be an option.
But that only would make sense if he hadn't made up his mind to go there in August, wouldn't it?
They also didn't have Jolly when he asked to be traded (unless Jolly's manager told him that a deal would eventually be done for Jolly?)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
or an Interstate Club

Why only Collingwood?
But that only would make sense if he hadn't made up his mind to go there in August, wouldn't it?
They also didn't have Jolly when he asked to be traded (unless Jolly's manager told him that a deal would eventually be done for Jolly?)
Who said he wanted to go in August. Was that Greg Denham?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
or an Interstate Club

Why only Collingwood?
Yep, to Cololingwood for 500k pa, which is co-incidentally the exact figure that keeps swirling around Ball.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
or an Interstate Club

Why only Collingwood?
Yep, to Cololingwood for 500k pa, which is co-incidentally the exact figure that keeps swirling around Ball.
So if he gets the figure right then he must have the date right. Why didnt he write about it at the time then? By the way is this the same guy who lost 2 million to a listener on SEN regarding Fev going to Brisbane and McMahon being the first trade done last year and going to the Saints?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
or an Interstate Club

Why only Collingwood?
So if he gets the figure right then he must have the date right. Why didnt he write about it at the time then? By the way is this the same guy who lost 2 million to a listener on SEN regarding Fev going to Brisbane and McMahon being the first trade done last year and going to the Saints?
Yep, so that makes everything he says wrong?
And when he's preoven correct it's an accident?

He did write about it at the time.
He wrote that Collingwood was prepared to offer Ball 500k p.a.
Where is Ball?
At Collingwood on 500k pa (according to their salary cap).

Just a lucky guess on his behalf?
Or was he being spoon fed information from sources involved?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
or an Interstate Club

Why only Collingwood?
Yep, so that makes everything he says wrong?
And when he's preoven correct it's an accident?

He did write about it at the time.
He wrote that Collingwood was prepared to offer Ball 500k p.a.
Where is Ball?
At Collingwood on 500k pa (according to their salary cap).

Just a lucky guess on his behalf?
Or was he being spoon fed information from sources involved?
Is there an article saying Ball wanted to go in August or only an article saying the pies wanted Ball?

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Luke Ball is scum now, that's all there is to it. He must have felt low, low like a dog, when Malthouse (his new coach and inspirational leader) abused his old buddies (Baker and Milne) in the worst possible scumbag fashion.

I couldn't help take a shot at Ball when he air-balled his shot on goal right in front of me. Very enjoyable, and not sad at all. To say our players should be patting him on the back... jesus christ.... you should be ashamed of that one.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Is there an article saying Ball wanted to go in August or only an article saying the pies wanted Ball?
An article stating that 'the Pies were prepared to offer him 500k pa and that was well above what St Kilda had offered him'.

At the time I thought it was a 'negotiating tactic' by Ball's management to try adn 'wedge' the Saints offer up.

Given that the Saints offer never did go up, he obviously decided to accept it.

To believe that Collingwood only negotiated with Ball (his management) after the Grand Final is to believe in the tooth fairy (IMO).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Is there an article saying Ball wanted to go in August or only an article saying the pies wanted Ball?
An article stating that 'the Pies were prepared to offer him 500k pa and that was well above what St Kilda had offered him'.

At the time I thought it was a 'negotiating tactic' by Ball's management to try adn 'wedge' the Saints offer up.

To believe that Collingwood only negotiated with Ball (his management) after the Grand Final is to believe in the tooth fairy (IMO).
They were still a top side at that point and that is my point. If he wanted to go back then they wanted him so why try to get to another club. I dont actually see what you are saying.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

We know that Luke was not happy with his role in the side as a burst player, we also know that Ross couldn't guarantee him a fit in the side for the following season based on his current form.

Yet in spite of all this, he showed more sentiment than he is famous for by offering him a new contract, for 3 years.

Luke then chose to search out a club that would fulfill his needs, rather than he fulfill the need for his club.

Friday night I saw Luke playing his ideal role, the team still lose, his coach publicly praise his game in spite of his poor kicking. I then saw him highlight how important the backing of the coach was to him on BTG on Saturday night.

I finally realised what is important to Luke, Ross and St Kilda couldn't offer him. So I am happy to move on...

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

They were still a top side at that point and that is my point. If he wanted to go back then they wanted him so why try to get to another club. I dont actually see what you are saying.
My point is that if that article was correct (and hindsight would point to it being correct) then his management was negotiating with another Club for more money
- not for more game time
- not for a different role
- not for a guaranteed game

but a bigger salary than what he was being offered at St Kilda.

Now he can sugarcoat it all he likes after the fact with a whole heap of justifications,
but initially he (his management) spoke to Colloingwood about more money.

On the other hand, Goose and X left for more/better opportunity.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Alot of these Journos write stuff like its fact, when most of the time they get a little bit of a leek or some info and then they run with it and build a story around that...especially in the off season.

Alot of what they write is an opinion based on some or little facts.

It's law of averages that they are going to get it right every now and then.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:Alot of these Journos write stuff like its fact, when most of the time they get a little bit of a leek or some info and then they run with it and build a story around that...especially in the off season.

Alot of what they write is an opinion based on some or little facts.

It's law of averages that they are going to get it right every now and then.
Agreed.
So does that mean Denham just made it up and got lucky when it co-incidentaly fell into place?
That would be absolutely staggering and I prefer to believe he was being 'used' by Connors to put pressure on the Saints to up their offer to Ball.
A normal negotiating tactic which I have no problem with.

What I have a problem with is the 'character assassination' Ball, Connors and the rest of their band did on the Saints to try and ensure his reasons for leaving were anything but money.
Under no circumstances did they want Luke painted as a 'mercenary'.

But this whole saga started because Connors convinced him he was worth more than what St Kilda was offering.
Isn't that about money?

PJ
SS Life Member

We know that Luke was not happy with his role in the side as a burst player, we also know that Ross couldn't guarantee him a fit in the side for the following season based on his current form.

Yet in spite of all this, he showed more sentiment than he is famous for by offering him a new contract, for 3 years.

Luke then chose to search out a club that would fulfill his needs, rather than he fulfill the need for his club.

Friday night I saw Luke playing his ideal role, the team still lose, his coach publicly praise his game in spite of his poor kicking. I then saw him highlight how important the backing of the coach was to him on BTG on Saturday night.

I finally realised what is important to Luke, Ross and St Kilda couldn't offer him. So I am happy to move on...
Well put...and so should we all

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

My point is that if that article was correct (and hindsight would point to it being correct) then his management was negotiating with another Club for more money
- not for more game time

Now he can sugarcoat it all he likes after the fact with a whole heap of justifications,

If I remember rightly and if your timeframes are correct and Denham is right for the first time then Bally was struggling for all those things you mentioned so how do you know they werent part of the talks but you seem to know it was about money. Can you tell me what RL is going to do with week as well.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

- not for more game time

If I remember rightly and if your timeframes are correct and Denham is right for the first time then Bally was struggling for all those things you mentioned so how do you know they werent part of the talks but you seem to know it was about money. Can you tell me what RL is going to do with week as well.
I will as soon as Denham writes the article.

As for yuor question.
It doesn't take a great leap of faith to figure out who gave Denham the information.
It couldn't have been St Kilda
It could only have come from 2 places - Collingwood and/or the Ball camp.
Given that the information was 'leaked' to Denham, why would they only 'leak' the fiscal arrangements if there were other problems at the 'root cause' of his unhappiness?
Plugger, you're a perceptive guy, you try and explain why Connors was negotiating with Collingwood for Ball's services in July/August?
He already knew then that he was only going to get less than 50% game time in a grandfinal that hadn't taken place yet?

IMO the gametime, role etc became convenient excuses after the fact, not before.
There is no doubt in my mind that the driving force in all the negotiations was to extract more money from St Kilda - and that's fine. I just think he/they should admit it rather than try and hide it with nonsensical furphies.

In the end it doesn't make any difference because St Kilda have decided to move on with players who want to be there, rather than worry about a player who doesn't.