Malthouse Apology

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Michele
Club Player

SaintDebi wrote:Here is a copy of a post I put on Saints Central where I first saw the "apology". I just think MM is a creep. Another user of both sites (SC and SS) suggested I also post it here, so here it is.

Translation:

It was only after the match that I realised I'd been caught out and could be in a lot of trouble.

I now find myself in a position where my club has directed me to make this insincere apology, as any sensible person would understand that a coach of 27 years should have more integrity than to behave this way.

Although I have been made to apologise I want to say that "he started it", and furthermore the Collingwood football club will now try to deflect fault by graciously not taking the incident any further with the AFL, an action which would bring myself under further scrutiny.

As there is nothing that can be said that can possibly make myself or the club look good in regard to this incident, we will now keep our mouths shut and hope it all goes away.
Well Translated Deb, I don;t care what Milne said Ma;lthouse has done the wrong thing but of course being Collingwood they just get away with everything.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
Pies, Saints bury hatchet .........................

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Whilst we are on the topic - can anyone remember whether Milne and Montagna faced civil court action re: the incident??

Can't find anything in history searches to say whether they did or didn't

From what I remember I don't think they did

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:Whilst we are on the topic - can anyone remember whether Milne and Montagna faced civil court action re: the incident??

Can't find anything in history searches to say whether they did or didn't

From what I remember I don't think they did
again from memory and without a search- there was still some chance of action being taken just a couple of years ago. but never heard/ read o anything else...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

SaintDebi wrote:Here is a copy of a post I put on Saints Central where I first saw the "apology". I just think MM is a creep. Another user of both sites (SC and SS) suggested I also post it here, so here it is.

Translation:

It was only after the match that I realised I'd been caught out and could be in a lot of trouble.

I now find myself in a position where my club has directed me to make this insincere apology, as any sensible person would understand that a coach of 27 years should have more integrity than to behave this way.

Although I have been made to apologise I want to say that "he started it", and furthermore the Collingwood football club will now try to deflect fault by graciously not taking the incident any further with the AFL, an action which would bring myself under further scrutiny.

As there is nothing that can be said that can possibly make myself or the club look good in regard to this incident, we will now keep our mouths shut and hope it all goes away.
Yep, think you are pretty spot on there. Very insincere, or he would have phoned him personally. I don't care if Milney is a sledger, thats between the players not for a coach of his experience to get involved in.

But we have stood up for ourselves and showed that MM is a liar, so we win :lol:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
saintnick12
Club Player

Due to the fact that Stephen Milne acknowledges his comments to Mick Malthouse were inappropriate, the Collingwood Football Club will not be taking action through the AFL regarding his conduct and will be making no further comment on the matter.collingwoodfc.com.au
Well that's big of them, isn't it!! I nearly fell of the couch when I read that. I knew the apology would be carefully worded and insincere, but that last bit leaves me just shaking my head. Were they seriously going to make an official complaint against Milne. Of course not. As much as Milne is no angel, what he is alleged to have done is nowhere as bad as Malthouse, especially considering his position. They had to find something to have another swipe at him so as try to make it not look so bad for Mick. BTW, from what I saw on the vision, Milne's worst comments appeared to be directed at Licuria. No mention of any involvement with him in all the post match discussions.
As others have said, Malthouse has been shown up as lying and has been forced to admit it. Milne has his apology. Good on the club for holding out for this. We can all now move on. Having said that, round 16 against them should be interesting....

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
saintnick12
Club Player

Translation:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Very good saintDebi and not far from the truth either.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

spot on Debi

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/collin ... 5852479803

Collingwoods take......
In return, Collingwood wanted Milne to accept he provoked Friday night's ugly incident by calling Malthouse old and wrongly accusing assistant coach Paul Licuria of being homosexual.

The relationship between the teams has sunk to a new low. Saints stars publicly lashed Malthouse over the weekend.

Malthouse last night said he deeply regretted the fiery quarter-time outburst in which he referred to Milne as a "f---ing rapist".

The Collingwood Football Club last night tried to clarify issues arising out of the quarter-time break during Friday night's match against St Kilda.

In a statement, Collingwood said a number of St Kilda players came in close proximity to the Magpies huddle at the quarter-time break, causing an "exchange between several players and club officials."

The club said Malthouse went over to tell his players to remove themselves from the incident, during which time there was "an exchange of unnecessary comments by both Malthouse and Stephen Milne".

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Yeah so Malthouse apologises for slandering an opposition player on the ground, what happen to lauria and his comments???

Both should be fined and fined heeps, the club and fans are a disgrace, about time the AFL grow some balls and make a stance

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
SaintDebi
Club Player

That's Malthouse's reaction to being called old??????!!!!!!

You better look into euthenasia if you don't like it Mick, 'cos I've got news for you: you ARE old!

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Weak.

Just too easy..

Weak

goodie
Club Player

I'm sure he's sorry... that's he's been caught out.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

malthouse ... being called OLD ... that cannot be debated

licuria ... being called GAY ... as Seinfeld said ... "not that there's anything wrong with that" ... it isn't criminal and is a lifestyle that about 2 million Australians live and some people may even consider it a compliment ... perhaps Milne was reflecting on his excellent fashion and design sense and his appreciation for the arts, food and wine?

milne ... being called a RAPIST ... an illegal act ... hmmm wasn't he cleared of that criminal offence and NO civil action was taken?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Not sure that Malthouse is touchy about being old, but he is touchy about Buckley breathing down his neck for his job. Hence the short fuse.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Great stuff Deb!

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Can someone please remind me what happened when Heath Shaw and his passenger, the great example of humanity Didak, drunkenly crashed the car late at night?
Didn't they at first deny that Didak was in the Car?
Didn't Maguire come out angrily denying that his players would lie about what happened?
Didn't Maguire and Malthouse then have to call a press conference to explain how angry they were that they had been made to look like fools because they had been lied to?

I wonder how Heath Shaw now feels about his Coach and President?
Will he be looking for consistency?
Last edited by Mr Magic on Mon 12 Apr 2010 10:01am, edited 1 time in total.

markp
Saintsational Legend

I think this is the perfect result.... we get our apology, and claim we are now satisfied (we're out clean)... meanwhile Mick has experienced the media blowtorch, been exposed as a liar, and been forced to admit what he said... so the AFL will now have no option but to act!

Well played, Saints! :wink:

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

And they refer to our so-called "club culture" :roll:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintnick12
Club Player

markp wrote:I think this is the perfect result.... we get our apology, and claim we are now satisfied (we're out clean)... meanwhile Mick has experienced the media blowtorch, been exposed as a liar, and been forced to admit what he said... so the AFL will now have no option but to act!

Well played, Saints! :wink:
Agree with this. Though, the swipe at Milne in their statements undermines the whole apology IMO.

SaintHomer
Club Player

how can the pies supporters be anything but ferals when the coach carries on like this?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Im happy to leave it as is. MM apologised. And if milney is happy - then surely thats good enough for us fans?

I dont want the saints to become some sanctimonious holier than though mob (like the australian cricket team) who can give it in bucketloads but cant take anything in return. MM is a coach and shouldnt get involved and shouldnt stoop to that level of personal crap. And he acknolowledged that.

But as I said - if milney is happy with the result- im happy. Lets start worrying about the AFL juggernaut - the Dockers.

But no doubt big brother AFL will intervene as usual.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

A coach engaging (let alone abusing) opposition players is inexcusable.

Nevertheless ..
A forced apology is no apology.

The AFL should realise this and impose a hefty fine (of the $20,000 variety) - not a token one.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 12 Apr 2010 10:58am, edited 1 time in total.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

samoht wrote:A forced apology is no apology.

The AFL should realise this and impose a hefty fine (of the $20,000 variety) - not a token one.
Milney has his apology, Malthouse has been exposed as a liar. We can now step back and let the AFL do its bit. Probably a fine, but ony in the $2,000 to $5,000 range.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

The AFL couldn't just sit idly by now the whole 'direpute' thing is so hot.

Fines to all concerned. Mick $7500, Licuria $5000, Milne $1000.

Yeah, in light of day prob the best outcome despite my desire to see scorched Magpie meat. Milney's 'homo' comment re Licuria kind of taints the whole thing, but at least Malthouse was shown up as a death row dwelling squibbish bulls***-ter of the highest order.

Re Licuria: What was he actually doing there? Is he a runner? I didn't think he was an assistant or anything...

Why was he there?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'