Rhys Stanley - It's Time

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
bigcarl wrote:gardiner to play kosi's role, goddard to play roo's. raph in to play like bj around the ground (if only).

i like the look of stanley very much but he needs goals/games on the board.
or, if stanley is deemed ready. goddard ff, stanley chf, raph hff, though that would leave us without a strong contested marking target such as kosi/gardiner.
Stanley could never play CHF he would get lost. If he plays it will be FF. BJ will play on the ball and float forward. Raph has never and will never be a hff.
so you liked the first suggestion better plugger? just out of interest what would be your solution to restructuring the forward line without riewoldt?

btw, i think we're going to have to play bj mainly as a forward. no one else in the team who can play tall has his goal-kicking nous.
Sorry but Gards isnt an option either. If either Stanley,Pattison or Cahill perform on Sunday one will play. If they dont then they will mix and match with what they have. Surely one of those 3 can play well against Frankston. Stanley is my preferred option at this stage.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
bigcarl wrote:gardiner to play kosi's role, goddard to play roo's. raph in to play like bj around the ground (if only).

or, if stanley is deemed ready. goddard ff, stanley chf, raph hff, though that would leave us without a strong contested marking target such as kosi/gardiner.
Stanley could never play CHF he would get lost. If he plays it will be FF. BJ will play on the ball and float forward. Raph has never and will never be a hff.
so you liked the first suggestion better plugger? just out of interest what would be your solution to restructuring the forward line without riewoldt?

btw, i think we're going to have to play bj mainly as a forward. no one else in the team who can play tall has his goal-kicking nous.
Sorry but Gards isnt an option either. If either Stanley,Pattison or Cahill perform on Sunday one will play. If they dont then they will mix and match with what they have. Surely one of those 3 can play well against Frankston. Stanley is my preferred option at this stage.
bj will spend a lot more time forward imo.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
If either Stanley,Pattison or Cahill perform on Sunday one will play. .
My thoughts exactly and hence my earlier post.

If Zac had been in form they might have moved Zac to FF for one game as Freo do not havea tall FF..only medium sized players.

They may do that still. However I pesonally would drop Zac to send a message that FB is only his if he performs.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

To much pressure on him to kick goals. Could be right but I think they will just pick someone to try and replace Rooy as best as possible. If our midfield is dominate next week, we win whoever plays forward and that is why I reckon Bj will play in the middle.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Goddard will stay playing as our utility.

He is a mid with a 007 licence to do damage by going forward.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 10 Apr 2010 11:59am, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:bj will spend a lot more time forward imo.
To much pressure on him to kick goals. Could be right but I think they will just pick someone to try and replace Rooy as best as possible. If our midfield is dominate next week, we win whoever plays forward and that is why I reckon Bj will play in the middle.
our midfield was dominant in the grand final yet we didn't win. you've got to put it on the board also and without riewoldt that is a big concern.

they will probably have a bob each way and swing him to ff if we are struggling to impact on the scoreboard.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sat 10 Apr 2010 11:23am, edited 6 times in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
our midfield was dominant in the grand final yet we didn't win. you've got to put it on the board also.

1/ No you have to kick straight. we had enough shots at goal in the GF including many easy ones to have won.

2/ Midfielders are also allowed to kick goals. BJ as a mid improves the capacity of having our midfield contribute goals IMO.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
our midfield was dominant in the grand final yet we didn't win. you've got to put it on the board also.

1/ No you have to kick straight.
yeah, that's what i said. you've got to put it on the board.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

BJ puts it on the board/kicks straight. If we can wean ourselves off our dependence of him down back and in the middle, for large parts of the game and get him dominating up forward, many of our issues will be solved. We have many good options to take his place in the middle or down back, but none that come close to matching what he would/could do up forward.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
PJ
SS Life Member

I kind of like the look of Jimmy's raking goals from 50. Wouldn't mind seeing a few more to add to our goal scoring options.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

For the one week we will be without both Roo & Kosi I think they will go with a makeshift smaller lineup with maybe Raph coming in & freeing up one of the half backs to go forward.

With Kosi back for the Port game it will be his time to make the forward line his own.

Stanley's time will come but I'm not sure it will be in the near future.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:Zac HAS to stop turning his back on the ball/play in a marking contest.

He was ordinary tonight and looks really vulnerable 1 on 1.

Without help its a weak link...
Totally agree with that. Isn't SOS telling him to stop doing this? He'd surely be a lot more effective if he actually went for the ball every now and then, or at least saw where it was. Instead, he's searching for body contact, even though he's lost a lot of weight and is not as strong as he was, so he's playing to his weakness. He'd surely be better off using his height and reach to spoil the ball.
He's having an absolute shocker of a year so far, although he seemed to do better in the second half last night.
He needs to improve before the end of the year, or it could cost us in big games, against the likes of Barry Hall, J Brown, Tom Hawkins.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:To much pressure on him to kick goals. Could be right but I think they will just pick someone to try and replace Rooy as best as possible. If our midfield is dominate next week, we win whoever plays forward and that is why I reckon Bj will play in the middle.
well, he is very important to us in the middle so i can see what you are saying. it's just a worry going into matches without a genuine goal-kicking key forward.

probably we should keep the structure as normal as possible, bearing in mind that whoever plays riewoldt's role isn't riewoldt.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Goddard to Riewoldt's role, Raph to Goddard's role. Kosi back at FF in a week. No major structural changes.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Sure RL will study tomorrow's twilight game and sus out Freo's defencive structures before deciding how he might want to go on who is to play forward.
We do need a tall leading forward and Stanley is a chance to get a chance to show his promise.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

any of you armchair selectors/coaches interested in what the real coach has to say on the subject of roos replacement????

.i quote...."..we have kosi back in a week....stanley .....and gardiner is a pretty fair forward....."

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
nathan000
Club Player

Exactly Stinger, saw that as well. He will get his chance. I think he'll go well with Kosi, Gardiner, Fisher and Goddard rotating beside him.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Munga wrote:Agree, straight swap Roo for Stanley. He's tall and athletic. Make it happen.
How did he go Sunday?
totally agree with you p66, I think we need to ban any talk of changes until sandy has played and al players have traineda few times this week.

New SS rule, no talk of replacements until p66 makes the "guess who the change will be" thread

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Munga wrote:Agree, straight swap Roo for Stanley. He's tall and athletic. Make it happen.
How did he go Sunday?
totally agree with you p66, I think we need to ban any talk of changes until sandy has played and al players have traineda few times this week.

New SS rule, no talk of replacements until p66 makes the "guess who the change will be" thread
Thanks for that. It makes sense and you obviously know it.

Saintsfan
Club Player

He is raw as an uncooked piece of meat....but sure let's play him to appease fans.....

He looks great however he took a contested mark and kicked a goal a game....that being said he did a few good things a game however so did Tom Lynch and nobody is tooting is horn like the second coming of Tommy Walsh...

Play McEvoy

The Saintsfan Cometh
stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
How did he go Sunday?

sure sam.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
How did he go Sunday?

Who the hell is Sam. Your leading cleaner?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
How did he go Sunday?

thats why I suggested it

are there any other no go areas? Perhaps we should have another forum where we can pass through ideas on what threads can be posted and you can look over them and give us your wisdom.

BTW the umpires were very fair, thought the lack of replays at the game was justified and I love collingwoods tactics, adds alot to the game. Best game in the universe and we all have to thnk the great AFL.

BTW did you try and find us for a beer friday night? I wanted to chat about how fab you are
:D

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Saintsfan
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
How did he go Sunday?

Who the hell is Sam. Your leading cleaner?
and we are off and racing

The Saintsfan Cometh