Riewoldt Out - Blessing in Disguise

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BelfastSaint
Club Player

Riewoldt Out - Blessing in Disguise

I mentioned this in the match thread but i really believe if Riewoldt is out for an extended period that it will be a blessong in disguise ...
Which one of us enjoys hearing .....St Kilda is nothing without Riewoldt....
I want us too win .... and win well without Riewoldt ...because if we do we are the TEAM that all of us have been dreaming about for years ....
And if we keep winning .......when Riewoldt comes back .... he will just be the icimg on the cake ......

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

To refer to an injury to Roo a a blessing is kinda silly, but fact is adversity creates opportunity so there's always upside if someone tales the chance. It may bea player or it may be a new game plan or maybe a new structure. Who knows. Whatever the case I have complete faith.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Finna
Club Player

Thinline wrote:To refer to an injury to Roo a a blessing is kinda silly, but fact is adversity creates opportunity so there's always upside if someone tales the chance. It may bea player or it may be a new game plan or maybe a new structure. Who knows. Whatever the case I have complete faith.
Awesome Post Mate.

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
BelfastSaint
Club Player

Dont get me wrong ....I am devasted that Roo is injured but whats done is done ...
but this could be the making of a St Kilda TEAM and an affirmation of a winning game plan .... which could in turn lead us to another Grand Final performance ...
Notice I keep emphasing TEAM because one player does not make a good TEAM .....
Last edited by BelfastSaint on Sat 10 Apr 2010 12:04am, edited 1 time in total.

Sainter_4_life
Club Player

Sorry but you are kidding yourself. If roo is gone for the year we simply cannot win the flag. Have a look at last years finals series.

nuttsy
Club Player

we showed tonite we can do it without him when it counts. I'm hoping he rest's first half of season and comes out primed for september

BelfastSaint
Club Player

Sainter_4_life wrote:Sorry but you are kidding yourself. If roo is gone for the year we simply cannot win the flag. Have a look at last years finals series.

Its time to have faith ...... Are we the team we think we are .... are we just another pretender ..........

saintkid
Club Player

nuttsy wrote:we showed tonite we can do it without him when it counts. I'm hoping he rest's first half of season and comes out primed for september
As fantastic as tonight's win was, they cannot maintain that effort week in week out. We need the gods to be kind to the seriousness of Roo's hammy injury. Without Roo we cant win the Cup.

linz
Club Player

saintkid wrote:
nuttsy wrote:we showed tonite we can do it without him when it counts. I'm hoping he rest's first half of season and comes out primed for september
As fantastic as tonight's win was, they cannot maintain that effort week in week out. We need the gods to be kind to the seriousness of Roo's hammy injury. Without Roo we cant win the Cup.
The fact is that Roo wasn't right in last years GF and we nearly won the Cup despite having no alternative team structures.

To lose Roo for a few and maybe many games will at least allow us to work on alternative team structures if and when we lose Roo again for extended periods. To rely on Reiwoldt is The Saints archilles heal.

It was great to see Gwilt and Gardiner step up to the plate and do the job when it was needed.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

We cannot replace Roo.

Full stop. Realistically, any side in the comp would struggle to win the flag after losing a player of his calibre.

That said....we have a few young blokes that I would really like to get some games into.

Plus, after watching that game tonight. Anything could happen.

They have some go in them this bunch.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_4_life wrote:Sorry but you are kidding yourself. If roo is gone for the year we simply cannot win the flag. Have a look at last years finals series.
nonsense. by the time riewoldt comes back, bj will have sewn up chf or ff and we'll have to use roo on a flank or a wing :wink:

while you'd obviously rather have him out there, the injury forces us to look at other avenues to goal which may not have been always apparent.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sat 10 Apr 2010 12:34am, edited 1 time in total.

linz
Club Player

[quote="bigred"]We cannot replace Roo.

Full stop. Realistically, any side in the comp would struggle to win the flag after losing a player of his calibre.

That said....we have a few young blokes that I would really like to get some games into.

Plus, after watching that game tonight. Anything could happen.

They have some go in them this bunch.[/quotp]

Full stop, we can still win the flag.
The Saints won the flag without Ditterich who was equally as impressive as Riewoldt in his day.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Milton66
SS Life Member

Re: Riewoldt Out - Blessing in Disguise

BelfastSaint wrote:I mentioned this in the match thread but i really believe if Riewoldt is out for an extended period that it will be a blessong in disguise ...
Which one of us enjoys hearing .....St Kilda is nothing without Riewoldt....
I want us too win .... and win well without Riewoldt ...because if we do we are the TEAM that all of us have been dreaming about for years ....
And if we keep winning .......when Riewoldt comes back .... he will just be the icimg on the cake ......
You should have been there BFS. Filth supporters carrying on when he went down.

So c**k-full of themselves.

Kept reminding us: No Roo - no Saints.

In the end it was: No Roo Pies!

As you say, what's done is done. Now it's time to look ahead and get creative.

We'll be right. :D

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:

good one MacArthur :lol:

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I think that tonight and Round 19 v Hawthorn last year showed that we are a Top 4 team without Roo, and so the imperative issue is that he is firing come finals time.

We will be there without him, but we'll need him to win it.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Yeah but it was ONLY collingwood, lets see what happens when we play a decent side 8-)

Milton66
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:
Milton66 wrote:

good one MacArthur :lol:
You would have loved when I told them to go home and cuddle their Eddie inflatables. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

The thing is,people can harp on about 'no Roo no saints' all they like,but Roo has nothing to do with the extraordinary defensive pressure this side creates.
We are by no means the most skillful side in the league,but we are without doubt the hardest side at it in my lifetime,and that's any club.

Roo may not play for a while,but sides will still only kick there 5-10 goals against each week most of the time. I'm sure we can scrounge up our 10-12 goals a week to win more than we lose. If we lose him for 3 months I don't think all is lost at all whilst we can maintain 'saints footy'.

Bring back the Lockett era
Legendary
Club Player

The structure and positioning instilled in every player at the club means that we will remain in with a chance in every single match this year, Riewoldt or no Riewoldt.

However, when it comes to the crunch in finals, class can play a role. We need Roo back for September.

georgie girl
Club Player

Roo out

Certainly will be a huge loss but would love to see Rhys Stanley get a go at some time!

Sam23
SS Life Member

LOL.

Riewoldt does his hammy, a "chance" it's off the bone (sounds not likely but still a chance"

And it is a blessing?

FFS BelfastSainter you are kidding me aren't you?

Goddard.
BelfastSaint
Club Player

Sam23 wrote:LOL.

Riewoldt does his hammy, a "chance" it's off the bone (sounds not likely but still a chance"

And it is a blessing?

FFS BelfastSainter you are kidding me aren't you?
If you take my post as literally as your response then you are slow on the uptake ...
Riewoldt can never be replaced .... but i think if some people think that we are dead in the water without him then you have no faith in this current Saints team whatsoever ...
I basically stated that if we can fire as a team without Riewoldt .... then how good will we be when he returns ....

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

Certainly going to be an interesting period.

Looking forward to seeing how we cope with the loss of such an influential player. Its a bad loss but better now than in 15 weeks time.

He's stuffed my SuperCoach though. :x

'Because we've got unfinished business'
....................Official Saintsational Banner Designer....................
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Rubbish, we are only up to Round 3 and quite frankly I would rather be facing this situation now rather closer to the finals.

It will give him a chance to rest all of the injuries inflicted on him from last night and whatever else he has carried over the years.

Yes it will put the rest of the team under pressure to fill the gap but hasn't one of the talking points about Kosi been about how he stands in Rooey's shadow?

Well this will be the test for Kosi (once he gets back from suspension)

Talk about the voice of doom!

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

BelfastSaint wrote:Dont get me wrong ....I am devasted that Roo is injured but whats done is done ...
but this could be the making of a St Kilda TEAM and an affirmation of a winning game plan .... which could in turn lead us to another Grand Final performance ...
Notice I keep emphasing TEAM because one player does not make a good TEAM .....
I'm right with you on this one Belfast. I also realised this could be a a blessing last night, as it will force us to finally find some other good options up forward.
As someone else on here said, hopefully by the time he comes back, we'll have found at least one more excellent avenue to goal (BJ the most obvious), making us less dependent on Roo, less predictable and stronger overall.
I've been calling for them to try some other blokes up forward for almost a year now, but they haven't really (except for guys like Dempster, who were never likely), even when we were miles ahead in games and could afford to experiment. It may probably cost us a flag last year (as Roo was pretty ineffective in the GF), but now fate has stepped in and will leave us little choice but to try out more alternatives.
Whatever happens, we will be a stronger TEAM when he returns and we'll be less predictable and better balanced. I just hope he's back before the finals, though, as winning a flag without him (this year) would be a tough ask, though possible.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.