Teams Saints v Pies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

starsign
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
steph wrote:
I disagree with this for a couple of reasons. Firstly, what's the point of only playing McEvoy in the "easy" games? He needs to gain experience against quality opposition, as that's what we'll be facing in the finals.
I dont think you got what i was getting at. Lyon deliberately left McEvoy on Jolly for much of the final quarter and all of the last 10 or so minutes in a game where there were 35,000 fans and where the opposition had come back from almost 7 goals down.

It wasn't an easy game (no game in the AFL is easy, ask Collingwood who almost lost to Melbourne last week).

Mac would have gotten invaluable experience that night, but was beaten pretty comprehensively by Jolly.

if the same situation occured tomorrow night it seems that lyon would prefer the experienced King to be rucking over the inexperienced McEvoy against Jolly.

Yes McEvoy needs experience, but the mids need supply. See what Geelong did to hawthorn when they had no ruckmnen.

steph wrote: If he doesn't, and we play him in finals, then he'll be exposed. Secondly, King does absolutely nothing around the ground and I feel all he is doing now is holding McEvoy back. Why not just give McEvoy 6 or 7 straight games, and then re-assess? Very disappointed with this selection.
We are after four points not, and it is not a practice match. McEvoy got 10 games straight last year and improved in each game. He will get many more this year and will continue to improve.

But tomorrow night Lyon waqnts big bodied and experienced ruckmen against Jolly.
yep I'm with you Joffamate!!
was quite disappointed with Big mac lest week... seemed like he was really off his Weeties for some reason.... maybe copped one early who knows , but its a horses for courses one this week and Jolly is a top ruckman who can bring some of their dangerous blokes into play if we ease up on him
I'm happy with the swap and you'd have to back RL on this one!!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Beej wrote:Beautiful to see the Chipper back in the side!
Yes great to see. He obviously has to play forward and there are no real options and also he isnt required down back at the moment. Not Chips ideal spot but will have more influence than Pattison last week.
Nice idea.

Up forward a decoy forward to clear space for Rooey.

Much easier assignment than playing his usual role down back.

Perfect way to get some match praccy after missing a month.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I thik BJ will spend a fair bit of time forward rotating through the midfield...
BJ is alot more physical that Sam.

But who knows..Sam was originally a forward.. so maybe time to try him again.

Still fancy B though...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
starsign
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Yes great to see. He obviously has to play forward and there are no real options and also he isnt required down back at the moment. Not Chips ideal spot but will have more influence than Pattison last week.
Yep absolutely great to see him back Not sure about the "obvious" but certainly gives us the beaut option with BJ up forward again
enough to have the Filth wondering and worrying I recon!!

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

BJ is a 70 goal a season forward if left there.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I hope Sammy Fisher does spend some time forward, I reckon he could kick some ass up there.
nah. he's kicked 13.10 in his 120 games and never looked much like getting it on the rare occasions he goes forward.

i reckon the team looks more like this:

B: Baker, Dawson, Blake
HB: Gwilt, Fisher, Gilbert
C: Montagna, Dal Santo, Gram
HF: McQualter, Riewoldt, Peake
F: Milne, Goddard, Schneider
R: Gardiner, Hayes, Jones
IC: King, Geary, Ray, Armitage

weird looking forward line with BJ at full forward, but i don't see who else is going to go down there. peake, maybe? really strange given that i always thought ross liked structure, but should make it hard for the pies backline.
As far as I recall he's never spent any decent time forward and if he has he's been too deep, in my opinion. It usually takes more than just a few minutes to see how someone will go in a new position. It's like making changes to a golf swing. It doesn't usually happen overnight.
He plays very similarly to Chad Cornes and he's shown he can do the job extremely well forward, or back and I reckon Chips could do just as well.
I don't think he's suited to full/deep forward, though, as he doesn't have either the speed off the mark or height, but CHF is a position I believe he'd do extremely well in. I see no reason why he wouldn't do terrifically well there, as he reads the play brilliantly, marks strongly and has great endurance. If Setanta O'Hailpin can do it, Sam Fisher can sure as hell do it. He's much too talented to not do well forward, if given a decent crack there. Having said that, with guys like Tommy Lynch and Walsh and Rhys Stanley coming through, there's probably little point in finding out. But I fully believe he could, if given enough time there.
As for BJ at full forward, I sure hope he plays there tomorrow night, as he looks as natural and at-home inside 50 as almost anyone in the league.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:BJ is a 70 goal a season forward if left there.
Agree, but he may very well be a multiple AA, B&F winner and possible premiership player as a HB/mid....

Which do you choose?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Indeed and how many would he set up for Roo and Kosi? I choose forward. Come on Jesse Smith.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Thu 08 Apr 2010 8:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Or the surprise may be that he doesn't play...
Oh the lies....

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Fisher a late exclusion for one of McEvoy or Pattison.

8-)

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Yes but he's even better as a sweeper/quarterback on the half back line roosting the ball to CHF once players have got into position up forward.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Oh the lies....
Speaking of which many Pie fans believe that Fraser wll not play.
Fraser also missed training today.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
maverick
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Oh the lies....
Speaking of which many Pie fans believe that Fraser wll not play.
Fraser also missed training today.
Bummer, hope he plays....

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

markinUSA wrote:What are your thoughts on King in for McEvoy? Anyone?
IMO our talls will be rotated fairly regularly pretty muh regardless of form.

Rucks are musts in Sept. Best keep em fresh.

Before my throat is leapt down, JUST MY OPINION.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
axcellence
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
It's interesting to note that Fisher was actually recruited as a forward (played juniors that way).

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

markinUSA wrote:What are your thoughts on King in for McEvoy? Anyone?

WRONG so WRONG!

King is yesterdays news and he hasn't taken a contested mark since Paris Hilton lost her virginity!

McEvoy needs more experience in the big games, best and quickest way to fast track his development is for him to be playing in games such as this!

Way bigger upside with McEvoy so why not tap into it NOW!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
rexy
SS Life Member

Would be extremely surprised to see Fisher play forward? Possible though, I would have thought he was a good match up for Medhurst? Lets face it, most weeks we name 6 forwards because there is not a seventh spot on the team sheet for backmen! Either he or Gilbert will be hoping to set up loose in the backline IMO.

I think the shorter forward line is very smart against Collingwoods mid sized defense, If Rooey gets hold of Presti early he basically has no match up and could become an ineffective player. To slow for anyone else likely to go forward IMO. Forward preassure should be at a high and last year Collingwood really struggled with our forward preassure.

Good selection IMO, disappointed that Mac is dropped but if form suggests that King was a better option then that is how selection should work.

Maybe this year?
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Some one needs to confront Ross with some ruck stats.

Volunteers???

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Solar
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Fisher IN :shock:
Surprised that Jarryd Allen wasn't selected as well.

Pattison, Eddy, Clarke as emergencies.
I would expect Raph to come in, when Fisher drops out.

If their is a real fear from Fraser and Jolly playing forward then Pattison may play.
I can't see Eddy playing unless some other player drops out.
would like to see clarke come in and play forward with BJ as a mobile forward line

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
rexy
SS Life Member

Good that we play Friday and the Zebs paly Sunday. Should mean that the 3 guys closest to selection this week all get a game at VFL level and a chance to push further for selection.

Maybe this year?
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

After all this fascinating and totally uninformef speculation, I reckon we'll see Gwilt, BJ and Gardi rotate alongside Riewoldt up forward, and Fisher play out the game in the backline.

Just a hunch.......

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
PJ
SS Life Member

i reckon gwilty's been excellent this year and so he's keeping raph out of the side. with him we already have three good tall half-backs so i can't see a spot for raph.
Yep Raph's going to have to wait till someone gets injured or hits a bad patch (this patch would need to be for a few weeks)

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
rexy
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:After all this fascinating and totally uninformef speculation, I reckon we'll see Gwilt, BJ and Gardi rotate alongside Riewoldt up forward, and Fisher play out the game in the backline.

Just a hunch.......
enough of everyone elses uninformed speculation, hit us with your own. :)

Just had a thought, wouldnt be surprised if Shaw comes in for Presti, may have been trying to get us to include the extra tall?

Thoughts?

Malthouse has a history of playing funny buggers with selection.

Maybe this year?
PJ
SS Life Member

I have no problem with King being picked, isn't our selection policy about form not potential for the future. McEvoy - out of form, King - played well for Sandy, simple. Form or structure gets you picked nothing else.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Fisher wont play and it will be Patto for King