What lurks in black and white?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

roxanne
Club Player

What lurks in black and white?

Thinking of the 'danger' players in Collingwood that could pop up to do some damage. Swan? CJ, nuff said. Didak? Don't make me laugh. Medhurst? Yes, possibly. Jolly? On last week, I think Gardiner can handle him. Pendelbury, he will need to be dealt with -however we've got Joey going the other way. Lockyer, Wellingham, Toovey, Thomas (snigger) Cloke could have a blinder for the first time in two years I suppose... doesn't seem likely. Anyone have a clue who could pop up as someone hard for us to match up on, a Collingwood player who could do a number on us this Friday night?

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
StNoodles
Club Player

they have a few x-factor types, though we have had their measure in recent games

leon davis is another

shmic_s
Club Player

The main issue would be to make sure we can keep Davis, Didak and Medhurst quiet. All players that know how to get a goal and can turn a game. Making sure we contain them will go a long way towards winning. Jolly is a quality ruckman and i would be another that we would need to be wary of.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

We have occasionally struggled with Thomas in the past. I remember one game in particular where he hurt us, but I don't know much about their team really. I just focus on us mainly.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markinUSA wrote:We have occasionally struggled with Thomas in the past. I remember one game in particular where he hurt us, but I don't know much about their team really. I just focus on us mainly.
I remember the game where BJ hurt Thomas :wink:
Last edited by SainterK on Thu 08 Apr 2010 10:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sainterone
Club Player

We need to turn the neon leon into a black and white photo.

other than that who's going to kick their goals?

Bally? where's that jam tin...

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Going to be interesting to see how Harry O'Brien and Heath Shaw go against our forward pressure, and how accountable we keep them.

One of the things COllignwood's done right in their development is ensure that like The Cats/Saints/Dogs they've got a wide group of players capable of running out of the backline and doing damage - i.e. you don't keep them quiet by tagging a single backman, you have to make it hurt when their opponents get loose and score.

On paper St Kilda has them covered, but no mistake, Collingwood loves big games, and they've got a very good team this year.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I would be really disappointed if we didn't manage to beat the pies tomorrow.

One of the teams we match up really really well against.

They have very few stars, they are a team of triers where every player pulls their weight, unfortunately for them so are St Kilda, only we've got more talent in our line up.

The best way to keep their small forwards quiet is to shut down their supply. Win in in the centre and you've already taken 3 of their top 6 or 7 players out of the equation.

Heath Shaw is a very dangerous player, he needs to be tagged my McQualter IMO. Keep Shaw to less than 16 or 17 touches and that's a win to us IMO... If McQualter could snag a goal or two as he often does that would simply be a bonus.

I would love to see Armitage go to Ball, Ball would probably have the edge in the in and under stuff but Armo should be able to get away from him pretty often.

Don't worry about tagging Swan, he can get 40 touches without hurting the opposition. CJ should go to Pendle's or Didak, I would suggest sending him to Didak first and if we are winning it in the middle then send him in to take out Pendles.

The backline match ups are going to provide some good contests, but as I said I hope it wont go into their forward line too often, and when it does I want some serious numbers in there.

I would like to see Blake go to Anthony, Gwilt on Medhurst, Dawson on Cloke. CJ on Didak when's he's playing high and Geary to go on him when he goes deeper.

Would like to see BJ start out as a marking forward all the while knowing if anything starts to go wrong further down the ground he can always go down and help.

Whoever players full forward this week simply needs to keep Presti or Maxwell honest. We want every player demanding a defender otherwise Roo will get triple teamed time and time again, and this is something that Maxwell and Shaw are very good at.

The more space in the forward 50 the better.

Wouldn't be surprised to see only Roo, Goddard and Milne in there at times with Schneider pushing very high.

I really don't think that we have to worry about their players too much, shut down one or two of the more dangerous ones and half the job is done already. They have to worry about us IMO... for every Swan, Pendlebury, Didak, Davis and Shaw they have we have a Hayes, Goddard, Dal, Montagna, Armitage etc.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

One of the things COllignwood's done right in their development is ensure that like The Cats/Saints/Dogs they've got a wide group of players capable of running out of the backline and doing damage - i.e. you don't keep them quiet by tagging a single backman, you have to make it hurt when their opponents get loose and score.

The Demons used that against them last week.

The Pies defenders apart from Presti all play loose, but back one another up.
The dees kept them seperated to explot that looseness.

The saints are much qicker on the rebound this year...and seem to be keeping clear of Roo better...with more players running forward to present (ie BJ, Peake etc).

Given what worked for the Dees our new refinements may trouble the Pie's defence.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....