Barlow and Silvagni

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Barlow and Silvagni

What happened here? Both the saints would've had a good look at, both kicking butt for the dockers. Why did we overlook them?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

would they get a game with us?

Munga
Saintsational Legend

They'd go pretty close, bench/emergencies this early on. Barlow probably has it over Armo.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Silvagni looked good today against freo. Although he played against a non existant Bombers forward line. Even snuck down for a shot on goal.

Carpe Diem
On the Bench
Club Player
Location: Perth. Where Foxtel has now allowed me to watch my beloved Saints each week.

Give it a year or two.

You can only draft the best available at the time, they must fit into your team plans, you'd like longevity or immediate impact (depending on the stage you're at)

Over on Perth last year it was the why waste a pick on Nic Nat, Daniel Rich was a stand out, Stephen Hille was a surprise selection.

I can't see either the Dockers or Eagles being too diappointed with their choices at present.

I am still hurting from 71;
my gut churns thinking of 97;
2009 was agony,
2010a was a pleasure to watch only to be devastated by 2010 b.
It hurts barracking for the Saints
vacuous space
SS Life Member

A lot of people thought Alex Silvagni was worth a punt on the rookie list back in 08:

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42840

There are other threads if you look for them.

I liked what I saw of him from the intrasquad game he played and what little I saw of Casey. I wouldn't have the slightest clue about recruiting though. After a 104-point victory, I'd say our recruiters are doing a fine job. I think it's a great idea for teams in the bottom half of the ladder to try guys like Barlow and Silvagni. It sure beats the Melbourne 'let's be bad until we get enough draft picks to be good' strategy.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
AlpineStars
Club Player

next 2 rounds freo get cats and us, a bit more work may be put into Barlow with maybe Ling and Jones.

Wake me up when September ends.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

AlpineStars wrote:next 2 rounds freo get cats and us, a bit more work may be put into Barlow with maybe Ling and Jones.
Geez if we're using Jones to tag a bloke who has played 3-4 games then how bad is their midfield. Yes he gets the ball a lot, and yes he's doing really well in his first year, but he doesn't really hurt you as much as other mids when he gets the ball. Handball's a lot, and many times he's part of a chain of handballs.

Still I'm glad I got him in my SC team rather than have to trade for him 8-)

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:They'd go pretty close, bench/emergencies this early on. Barlow probably has it over Armo.
armo has to share the possies with the likes of Joey Dal and Lenny ... Barlow has to share with ummmm errrr hrmmmmm Fat hazleby ?? agro hedland ....

Armo is much better then Barlow ... barlow is just the best in a team of turds ... like compairing Roo and Pavlova both win heaps of best and fairests but whats the point in being the best house on the worst street ??

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:After a 104-point victory, I'd say our recruiters are doing a fine job.
that makes no sense.

recruiting is about getting the best possible players on the list so that the match-day staff can win games. recruiting decisions in the last two years have not much difference in the short term. it's the long term where we'll pay for not taking enough kids this year. a single hundred point victory could be partially thanks to recruiters or completely in spite of them.

kp83
Club Player

Re: Barlow and Silvagni

Munga wrote:What happened here? Both the saints would've had a good look at, both kicking butt for the dockers. Why did we overlook them?
Freo might be saying to themselves, why did we overlook Clint Jones (a South Fremantle player if my memory is right)). Other teams may be wondering why they didn't take Geary before we pinched him in the rookie draft. There would be examples of this everywhere in the league.
Also, there are absolutely no guarantees that if we picked up these 2 guys they would have been as influential for us as they are with the Dockers. Perhaps they wouldn't even get a game at the moment. It's a pointless exercise looking at other teams recruits and wishing we had them.

goodie
Club Player

Re: Barlow and Silvagni

kp83 wrote:
Munga wrote:What happened here? Both the saints would've had a good look at, both kicking butt for the dockers. Why did we overlook them?
Freo might be saying to themselves, why did we overlook Clint Jones (a South Fremantle player if my memory is right)). Other teams may be wondering why they didn't take Geary before we pinched him in the rookie draft. There would be examples of this everywhere in the league.
Also, there are absolutely no guarantees that if we picked up these 2 guys they would have been as influential for us as they are with the Dockers. Perhaps they wouldn't even get a game at the moment. It's a pointless exercise looking at other teams recruits and wishing we had them.
That's the crux of it. These guys wouldn't get nearly the opportunity with us that they've had at Fremantle, in part because of Lyon's apprenticeship system and in part because we're not as desperate as the Dockers.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I always look at recruiting as a whole...

Personally I reckon our "rookie" selections have been very good. You do not geta 100% strike rate in the main draft , let alone the rookie draft.

However under Lyon which is when we started to look at the rookie system properly we have had a steady production line of layers.

CJ is arguably the competitions best tagger...and is certainly up there with Kirk and Ling.

Zac is now our regular full back.

Mini was re-invented via it. Is now a solid 2 player.

Geary is looking the goods to become a regular.

Eddy looks at least to be a "depth" player.

Miles looks ok..though injury and our depth may keep him out.

And I will predict this now..Gaernter is looking quite likely to become a CHB for us. I have been impressed with him this year.

Fora real wildcard we have the raw and exciting Tommy Walsh.

And then there are some other good chances like Simpkin and the ones added this year. Trouble is with our list being so strong this year they will most likely will not get a chance to strut their stuff for a year or too.

So rather than look at the rookies we have not picked up. Look at the ones we have. It is a very good collection in a few short years.

I reckon we are going more than ok in this regard, now that we have a football department switched on to exploiting the rookie system.

In several years you could well see St Kilda Team including:

Miles Zac BP

Geary Gaernter HBF

W Clinton Jones W

HF TommyW McQualter

FP FF FP

McGrath RR R

Eddy Int Int Simpkin

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:In several years you could well see St Kilda Team including:

Miles Zac BP
Geary Gaernter HBF
W Clinton Jones W
HF TommyW McQualter
FP FF FP
McGrath RR R
Eddy Int Int Simpkin
wow, it's pretty scary when you put it like that. not many superstars there! the north team which played on the weekend would have beaten that team by about ten goals.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:In several years you could well see St Kilda Team including:

Miles Zac BP
Geary Gaernter HBF
W Clinton Jones W
HF TommyW McQualter
FP FF FP
McGrath RR R
Eddy Int Int Simpkin
wow, it's pretty scary when you put it like that. not many superstars there! the north team which played on the weekend would have beaten that team by about ten goals.
Why so???.....that is just the rookies.....you still have to insert the names of the existing players that will still be about in several years.

Miles Zac Gilbert
Geary Gaernter Fisher
Dal Clinton Jones Goddard
Peake TommyW McQualter
Stanley Riewoldt Steven
McGrath Montagna Armitage
Eddy McEvoy Simpkin Gram

With Schneider, Peake, Gwilt, Raph and few others quite likely to still be in as well....anda few less rookies in. I think it points to god depth and good spread of positional talent in our rookie selections to augment what we have.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....