About time the opening match is changed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

About time the opening match is changed

Enough is enough.... I'm over having this average game being shown as the first of the year. Start the day all excited and get let down....

they have to stop showing bottom eight sides and play the two grand finalists of the former season. Then you can play them later in the season as a run up to the finals...

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Agree Solar..imagine US v Hawthorn or Collingwood tonight..a big anticlimax to say the least!!

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

This is another example of exactly why the moron AD deserves the BIG BUCKS$$$$.

I swear one of those cigar smoking monkeys could do a better job than him. :roll: :roll:

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

About time Richmond stopped being rubbish perhaps too???

Hey all you lot looking for a Round 1 GF rematch....you DO realise that it would have potentially meant having to watch Geelong unfurl their flag??? :cry:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Solar
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:About time Richmond stopped being rubbish perhaps too???

Hey all you lot looking for a Round 1 GF rematch....you DO realise that it would have potentially meant having to watch Geelong unfurl their flag??? :cry:
I'm more thinking of a good game, if not at least 2 of the top 4 from the year before.... imagine collingwood dogs thurs night.... wow I'd even pay to go watch!

FQF
In richo I trust

bergsone
SS Life Member

Maybe the top 8 from last year playing each other,with 2 of the top 4 starting the season of first game,dont know how draw is conducted,but surely a better game is needed to kick off the year.Do other codes do this? or do they just draw em out of a hat.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Hey all you lot looking for a Round 1 GF rematch....you DO realise that it would have potentially meant having to watch Geelong unfurl their flag???
NOT if it was OUR home game! :wink:

Solar
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:Maybe the top 8 from last year playing each other,with 2 of the top 4 starting the season of first game,dont know how draw is conducted,but surely a better game is needed to kick off the year.Do other codes do this? or do they just draw em out of a hat.
easy

decide the "blockbuster games" between the "big 4" then push the rest of the comp in and around these games....

FQF
In richo I trust

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:About time Richmond stopped being rubbish perhaps too???

they dont do that until their first true home game, back in Geelong

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I don't like the first game of the year being a Thurs night, it shocking for people running tipping comps as everyne forgets and you have to remind everyone.. Just doesn't feel like a footy night unless its at a weekend.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
I hate the word "potential". Besides that, it might be this year's Runners Up watching US unfurl OUR flag in 2011 :lol: :lol: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

hilairehinshelwood
Club Player

Also sick of Saints first game of the year now seeming to be always against the swans, a recipe for low scoring.
Agree carlton v richmond has to stop being the first game particularly that the first game is a showpiece event that lots of people tune into. i switched over after 5 minutes which is long enough to know richmond are still crap and the game was over. They infuriate neutrals too.

goodie
Club Player

Previous year's grand finalists or top two Victorian teams is the obvious move.

Could make it the two clubs with the highest membership at the time of fixturing, add a real bit of incentive.

Either way Carlton-Richmond's just not cutting it

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

hilairehinshelwood wrote:Also sick of Saints first game of the year now seeming to be always against the swans,
Been that way for 3 years now. Before that we had the season opener 2 of the 3 years. One of 2 v Brisbane (both in Brisbane) and one in Perth v West Coast.

Prelim finalists 2008

Runners Up 2009

Its about time we got a Season Opener (not necessarily the Thursday Night) against one of the BIGGER Victorian clubs. Four out of 6 Rd 1 games interstate is more than enough. Lets see what hapens in October when the 2011 FIXture comes out. !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!