Interesting "expert" comments from Matthew Lloyd

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:yes....Matty has been just pearls of wisdom tonight...Iliked this one...

"what do you think Rob....below his knees Kruzer must be best ruck in AFL...........besides Natanui I mean....."

Back to bed Matthew.
Yes heard that too. Maybe he can replace Strauchnie on Before the Game. At least he is funny :lol:

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Interesting "expert" comments from Matthew Llo

saintsRrising wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:Don't know if anyone heard this but Robert Walls asked Lloyd about the emphasis of tackling from the start of his career to the end of his career. Lloyd correctly stated that the forwards do a lot more tackling now and have to, to hold their spot on the team.

Then he went on to mention that the Dogs have passed the Saints and WILL pass the Saints in this area. His basis, the NAB Cup Final. Big call before Round 1. Maybe he has been smoking the grass he used to throw up in the air before he used to shoot for goal. Anyway hope he swallows his words and that this fires our boys up!
I heard him differently..
Basically he sees the Dogs as having become as good as the Saints in tackling and pressure , but will pass the Saints as they use the ball better (ie this them gives them the edge in Loyds opinion)...not that they will pass the Saints becuase they tackle better.
Yes. Fair call. He could have meant that. Not only is he incredibly naive, but ambiguous too. As Billy Joel said to Matty Lloyd, "You may be right, I may be crazy..."

He did base his comment on their NAB Cup performance, clearly the yardstick for the Home and Away Season. :wink:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sam Newman said he thought that the saints were going to loose to the swans. When questioned as to what the saints have done wrong when they made 2 grand finals , sam replied that they had lost their last 2 games? The media have jumped ship and it should keep the saints a bit more focused than having a bunch of journos salivating at their feet telling them they cant loose it. I heard lloyds comments too. He is your classic dumb comments man, based on one NAB campaign where we didn't even look like we applied ourselves and still got to a grand final. If Sam fisher hadnt gone down I dont think we would have been as conservative in the NAB GF.

saintlee
Club Player

Honestly, who cares what Matthew Lloyd thinks?? He not the sharpest tool in the shed...

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Matty Lloyd, going for Malcolm Blight's 'special comments' mantle. Easy to ignore, possibly entertaining.

Note the Doggies are still behind us as bookies Premiership favourites, and Geelong has surged ahead of both them and the Saints. I wonder what they did right during the NAB Cup?

Regardless, you'd be forgiven for thinking Carlton were favourites reading the papers today...I see their well reknowned 'magical' backline are all calling out for a crack at Fev. :roll: Who would have thought the Blues would be getting ahead of themsleves after one game???

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

we lose the GF and the pressure is on the doggies to win it this year! happy with that...

#1 Ryder fan
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

If our forward line relies too heavily on Riewoldt again this year we will fall short - regardless of who it is we will fall short to.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

samoht wrote:If our forward line relies too heavily on Riewoldt again this year we will fall short - regardless of who it is we will fall short to.
This is our biggest weakness. We rely on one player far more than any other team relies on one player! By a lot!

One of our key strengths = also our achillies heal. MUST be sorted, somehow. It cant go on like this and just hope that we fluke another year of injuries like 09, cause that WONT happen again.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:
samoht wrote:If our forward line relies too heavily on Riewoldt again this year we will fall short - regardless of who it is we will fall short to.
This is our biggest weakness. We rely on one player far more than any other team relies on one player! By a lot!

One of our key strengths = also our achillies heal. MUST be sorted, somehow. It cant go on like this and just hope that we fluke another year of injuries like 09, cause that WONT happen again.
I think SainterK posted up some stats that showed we don't seek out Roo in our forwardline anymore than other teams seek out their key forwards. Of course, the difference is the work he does up the ground.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:

I think SainterK posted up some stats that showed we don't seek out Roo in our forwardline anymore than other teams seek out their key forwards. Of course, the difference is the work he does up the ground.
Dont know if stats tell the whole story truthfully, I dunno. What I do know is No Reiwoldt for a extended period, maybe no finals, definately no way in hell we will win the flag.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:

I did post some inside 50 stats, while not conclusive of course, did show that on the whole the boys weren't too bad. However in the finals series against the Doggies, it proved to be the case. The stats also showed that every game that they were Roo concious, we had barely any contribution from our small forwards.

Mr X from the West
Club Player

Most pundits like Lloyd haven't seen the Saints play a lot. Lloyd was playing footy last year (not watching), so it's understandable.

Others who watch us play regularly (Tony Shaw, Gerard Healy, Jason Dunstall and so on) rave about our skill level and pressuring ability. So will Lloyd in few weeks.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:Honestly, who cares what Matthew Lloyd thinks?? He not the sharpest tool in the shed...
That's the point of the thread. :lol:

.....and hopefully to fire the boys up :twisted:

RooyForPresident
Club Player

Milan Faletic wrote:Don't know if anyone heard this but Robert Walls asked Lloyd about the emphasis of tackling from the start of his career to the end of his career. Lloyd correctly stated that the forwards do a lot more tackling now and have to, to hold their spot on the team.

Then he went on to mention that the Dogs have passed the Saints and WILL pass the Saints in this area. His basis, the NAB Cup Final. Big call before Round 1. Maybe he has been smoking the grass he used to throw up in the air before he used to shoot for goal. Anyway hope he swallows his words and that this fires our boys up!
Why can't you just face it that we lost. We were below par and we got dealt what we deserved. I agree with Lloyd about the tackling, The dogs have looked better this season than we did last year in our prime. Harden up would you?

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Good footballer yes, but not much going on between the ears. I am still scratching my head as to why he was made Captain, very embarrassing really. :roll:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Note the Doggies are still behind us as bookies Premiership favourites, and Geelong has surged ahead of both them and the Saints. I wonder what they did right during the NAB Cup?
Correct. Even with a half-arsed effort in the Final we still did better than 14 other clubs that dropped out in the weeks leading up to it. Yet we seem to be the ones with all the problems.

Maybe if we had lost by a point to Bally's new buddies we could have then gone on to lose three more praccy matches and be regarded as being primed for a big year! :D

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's not opinion that I ever find myself a little annoyed at, everyone is entitled to have a view, it's when they are just plain wrong that I find it amusing.

Listened to Dermott on my way home, telling a St Kilda supporter that while it was great to see the club blood young players like Jarryd Allen during the NAB cup, players like Jason Blake are just good league footballers and are nothing spectacular and the doggies exposed the likes of him.

saintkid
Club Player

So true and was our achilles heel for much of last year. Our forwards rely TOO MUCH on Riewoldt.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

RooyForPresident wrote:

Why can't you just face it that we lost. We were below par and we got dealt what we deserved. I agree with Lloyd about the tackling, The dogs have looked better this season than we did last year in our prime. Harden up would you?
What from a Nab Cup game, give me a break

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
RooyForPresident
Club Player

Yes.. from a NAB Cup game :roll:

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

RooyForPresident wrote:

Did I say anything about not accepting the loss?

Did I criticise or take any credit away from the Bulldogs? My criticism was directed at Matthew Lloyd's comments.

Can I suggest that you please read posts before quoting them? You may actually respond more accurately then and stick to the topic.

This season? What season? Neither team has played Round 1 yet.

Can I suggest that you do your research and you may find some posts from me that gave the Bulldogs their due credit on the night. September is 6 months away.

Finally, don't you tell me what to do..... ever. Smells like troll spirit.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Matty should have pursued a post football career in rythmic gymnastics. You know, where they twirl the ribbon and catch the ball while diving about. That's about his speed, I would've thought. Has there ever been a better footballer who is as dumb?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
saintlee wrote:Honestly, who cares what Matthew Lloyd thinks?? He not the sharpest tool in the shed...

I'm sure the boys will be fired up knowing someone, who uses the nick of Milan (pathetic) Faletic, tells them that the grass tosser is not the smartest bloke going around.

You do love to post. Now abuse me.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:

I'm sure the boys will be fired up knowing someone, who uses the nick of Milan (pathetic) Faletic, tells them that the grass tosser is not the smartest bloke going around.

You do love to post. Now abuse me.
And you always love to post after me. Is "pathetic" a compliment? The post is nothing to do with me. It is about hearing that Matthew Lloyd has said that the WB have passed the Saints based on the NAB Cup Final.

I don't need to abuse you. I think you do a good enough job on yourself.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote: Is "pathetic" a compliment?
Pathetic Faletic is what most Saints supporters called Milan.

Obviously you've never seen him play.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell