The club wants loyalty - surely we can ask for honesty !

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
bergholt wrote:...there are always a couple of posters here who know about injuries one way or the other...
I've never seen an injury or selection scoop on this forum, ever, unless it's been something like Dempster turning up to training wearing a moonboot.
yup. barely a scoop, right? so WHY NOT PUT THAT INFO ON THE INJURY LIST?

do they somehow think that the swans have really lazy scouts who aren't going to bother turning up to training, or to the vfl match the week before, but are going to just read the published injury list and then base all their planning on that?

for f***'s sake.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Moods wrote:...there are always a couple of posters here who know about injuries one way or the other...
I've never seen an injury or selection scoop on this forum, ever, unless it's been something like Dempster turning up to training wearing a moonboot.
Gee I have. I recall the terrible game against the hawks at the G a couple of years ago. THe night before P66 mentioned about 3 players who wouldn't be playing due to injuries. It was only mentioned through the media 1/2 hr before the game when the team lists came out.

P66 appears to have some sort of inside knowledge and even Bernard Shakely who obviously watches a lot of training, gives a more accurate insight to our injuries than the report that comes through in the press.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Do all clubs include rookies in their injury lists?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

so what's the story with raph? anyone know?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

It's an interesting one this debate.

Personally, I think the cloak and dagger stuff comes across as a bit cringeworthy.

Getting Max to wear his trackie in the rooms for the cameras before the game etc. isn't fooling anyone. It's a bit lame really.

In the end, members pay the bills (or so we're constantly told). So if members want to know - they should be told.

However if the club really believes these little games actually help win games, then I'm sure they'd do the 'risk analysis' and weigh up how many people will stop buying memberships because the club treats them with contempt - as opposed to how many will buy memberships because the club is winning games.

Membership is up, so I guess they'll keep doing what they're doing.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

how does it compare to other clubs?

I remember that Steve J and Chapman were ' OK " to play- along with Roo in September- what information do Geelong give the collective?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What a load of utter garbage.......

How the F*** does it help the club by hiding a players injury?????

If Lenny is out for six.....he is out for six....

saying he is out for four and knowing he won't be back for 6....how does that give any advantage???

or visa versa saying he is out for six and he comes back early....so what!!!

opp teams often know the progress of the player in teams they are coming up against....whether they play VFL, train, how many the have missed etc....they have spies and get plenty of mail..

Teams are picked on Thursdays.....coaches plan for themselves first, then the opposition.....if a player pulls out last minute, they adjust....

ducks and drakes is ridiculuos and gives ZERO advantage...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The injury report usually lists an estimated amount of time, as that time draws to an end the club usually will report the injury 'to be assessed'

Then they may talk about a return date as 'likely' but it's surely not a given.

If the club gave us a concrete date a time, and it passed due to circumstances, everyone would be just as annoyed IMO.

There are too many variables....

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:It's an interesting one this debate.

Personally, I think the cloak and dagger stuff comes across as a bit cringeworthy.

Getting Max to wear his trackie in the rooms for the cameras before the game etc. isn't fooling anyone. It's a bit lame really.

In the end, members pay the bills (or so we're constantly told). So if members want to know - they should be told.

However if the club really believes these little games actually help win games, then I'm sure they'd do the 'risk analysis' and weigh up how many people will stop buying memberships because the club treats them with contempt - as opposed to how many will buy memberships because the club is winning games.

Surely you don't subscribe to that line of thinking....

I like to know how much players are getting paid...Should I be privy to that information as well?

Maybe we should be told what was discussed with the physiologist....Well, according tot his theory at least.

The Craw
Club Player

degruch wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Moods wrote:...there are always a couple of posters here who know about injuries one way or the other...
there was a certain poster who came on here and informed all that hamill's knee was shot and was belted from pillar to post and eventually banned.....he was right.

Not Craw, CRAW!
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

I will trust the club.

They know what they're doing.

We need cloak and daggers secretive cape wearing behaviour. We need to mislead and confuse the enemy.

They will plan manups, match ups and tactics on the list we say we're going to field on day X, if the list changes their tactics are stuffed and we may get the advantage.

Trust in the saints.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:However if the club really believes these little games actually help win games, then I'm sure they'd do the 'risk analysis' and weigh up how many people will stop buying memberships because the club treats them with contempt - as opposed to how many will buy memberships because the club is winning games.

yeah, they're never going to be able to prove a measureable difference to membership, so i can understand why they don't bother with openness.

it's more a general philosophy thing - do you want your supporters to feel connected to the club in a shared endeavour where all play their part? or do you want them to feel like mushrooms - kept in the dark and fed s***?

i think it's obvious which path the saints take. my strong opinion is that they're wrong.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:It's an interesting one this debate.

Surely you don't subscribe to that line of thinking....

I like to know how much players are getting paid...Should I be privy to that information as well?

Maybe we should be told what was discussed with the physiologist....Well, according tot his theory at least.
Of course.

If you're the one putting the money in, and you will stop putting the money in if you don't get that information - then it's common sense that you would get it if the same money can't be found elsewhere.

Obviously one member isn't going to matter. But if 20,000 members stopped putting their money in then simply the club would have to listen to what they want.

It's common sense.

Very basic.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:However if the club really believes these little games actually help win games, then I'm sure they'd do the 'risk analysis' and weigh up how many people will stop buying memberships because the club treats them with contempt - as opposed to how many will buy memberships because the club is winning games.

yeah, they're never going to be able to prove a measureable difference to membership, so i can understand why they don't bother with openness.

it's more a general philosophy thing - do you want your supporters to feel connected to the club in a shared endeavour where all play their part? or do you want them to feel like mushrooms - kept in the dark and fed s***?

i think it's obvious which path the saints take. my strong opinion is that they're wrong.
I don't think they care either way about the supporters or members - as long as they cough up the cash each year.

Brooksy_Babe_24
Club Player

It annoys me also that members who pay there had earned money each year to the club get treated like s*** . yet at told we are the life blood of the club. well treat us like we are.
As members we should be able to know an up to date injury list with what the estimated return dates are.
treat the members with respect saints it's not hard

Brooksy I'll never Forget you

AKA Austinn's_Honey & Troy's_Gal
NEVER EVER BAG YOUR OWN PLAYERS

http://blog.myspace.com/sexc_saz
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Just so I can understand a bit better, what are we upset about. Is the club hiding something from us at the moment?

PJ
SS Life Member

So we're mad because our club isn't honest with injuries but the other 15 are? :shock: Yes it's all gamesmanship but I think you'll find it's systemic and probably started around the Kevin Sheedy era (soon to be reignited, look forward to more fun and games)

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Just so I can understand a bit better, what are we upset about. Is the club hiding something from us at the moment?
We dont know... because they're not telling us! :x

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Personally I don't give two hoots.

I go to the footy each week regardless of which players we're fielding. And I don't bet on footy, so whether a player is available for selection doesn't cause me any great concern.

What does annoy me is people that crap on about this type of thing because it might stuff up their Dream Team or their footy quad or whatever. It happened when we played the Hawks in Tassie last year. If RL and his team thought it was best to rest those players, in the context of the overall season, then that's fine by me. But people were writing to papers, or calling SEN, complaining because the decision to rest half a dozen players was gonna stuff up their cyber team or their investment with Tabcorp.

If you're a supporter you should support your team first and that other stuff should just be a side interest.

supercoach
Club Player

What don't u understand bout the team health- I know who's injuried, how hard is it

G=l

Gilbert=legend
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Personally I don't give two hoots.

I go to the footy each week regardless of which players we're fielding. And I don't bet on footy, so whether a player is available for selection doesn't cause me any great concern.

What does annoy me is people that crap on about this type of thing because it might stuff up their Dream Team or their footy quad or whatever. It happened when we played the Hawks in Tassie last year. If RL and his team thought it was best to rest those players, in the context of the overall season, then that's fine by me. But people were writing to papers, or calling SEN, complaining because the decision to rest half a dozen players was gonna stuff up their cyber team or their investment with Tabcorp.

If you're a supporter you should support your team first and that other stuff should just be a side interest.
Fair point.

However...

To be fair to the punters, the AFL do back gambling on the game (and make serious from it).

So they need to be careful about maintaining the integrity of it in that sense.

I know many don't condone/like gambling, but the AFL official does.

markp
Saintsational Legend

If people are whinging because it stuffs up their dream team occasionally... then that is just tragic.

And if it's to do with gambling, then it's the AFL you should take issue with, not the club.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
SainterK wrote:Just so I can understand a bit better, what are we upset about. Is the club hiding something from us at the moment?
We dont know... because they're not telling us! :x
Oh, of course :wink:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I do think that the whole Clouseau-esque clever games that the club plays - clearly further distance the supporters and members.

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

I would like to know everything just for the main fact Im nosey and would like to know all the details when it comes to the saints but if not releasing certain information gives us even the tiniest advantage in anyway then Im happy to leave it that way.

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through