Tough reading it

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Ajer wrote:
TazzieSaintGirl83 wrote:
Ajer wrote:
Can understand the emotion, i felt like crying myself, but getting a counsellor..? Whats Nick going to do if he faces some real hardships in the real world...
Thats a bit stiff, He wasnt making light of any one else problems. That was a real problem for him. It was a major event in his life. I think its open, honest and healthy to admit he needed help. Everyone has their own problems and when other people make light of them its not very fair
Yeah your right, when you put it that way thats very true.

I dunno, ive had 3 different people message me today already saying how much of sook riewoldt is and that he is soft, im sick of hearing it. Wish people would grow up.

But honestly, what was Nick hoping to achieve from doign an interview like this. His reputation is gunna be shot now, i can hear the opposition chants against him already :(
A small piece of what I take from an interview like that is that Reiwoldt's becoming more candid. Gone through the deer in headlights with the media stage long since. Gone through the soundbyte captain phase. Reiwoldt's comfortable with his public persona to the extent that where he can, he's willing to dictate the soundbyte rather than just deliver something from the media dept.

Long story short, Nick Reiwoldt's reputation with anyone that matters to him isn't going to be shot by that email.

In the context of Reiwoldt's life, losing a grand final was a disaster. For us supporters it was bad, for him it was much, much worse.

If opposition supporters choose to have a go because of it, I doubt he'll care. If we the fans do, that's our problem.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Ajer wrote:
StSteven wrote:No problems with him being upset; No problems with him seeking counseling. BUT why tell the world and give ammunition to the "nuff nuffs" referred to above.

"Too much information".......plenty of material for the sledgers.
Exactly, couldnt of said it better. He has made us look soft :(
He's given dickheads enough fodder over the years (being a pretty boy, 'blubbing' when he broke his shoulder - which normally tickles, sooking at the GF, making his relationship break-up public, blah, blah, blah), and it matters how much? The fact is, he'll fly backwards into a pack to take a grab with no thought of the consequences before any other player in the AFL...is near unmatchable in every respect...can win matches with a single bound...he's got nothing to prove at all.

The fact is, he's allowed to be emotional and pour his heart out, I'm sure all the taunting in the world won't stop him kicking the opposition off the park and making their supporters even more bitter. Good on him, screw everyone else.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Ajer wrote:
TazzieSaintGirl83 wrote:
Ajer wrote:
Can understand the emotion, i felt like crying myself, but getting a counsellor..? Whats Nick going to do if he faces some real hardships in the real world...
Thats a bit stiff, He wasnt making light of any one else problems. That was a real problem for him. It was a major event in his life. I think its open, honest and healthy to admit he needed help. Everyone has their own problems and when other people make light of them its not very fair
Yeah your right, when you put it that way thats very true.

I dunno, ive had 3 different people message me today already saying how much of sook riewoldt is and that he is soft, im sick of hearing it. Wish people would grow up.

But honestly, what was Nick hoping to achieve from doign an interview like this. His reputation is gunna be shot now, i can hear the opposition chants against him already :(
It's the same 'bloke' culture, with men less inclined to see a GP or a counsellor that leads to bigger problems and higher death rates long term.

If something seemed amiss with your car, you'd get it checked out... why not yourself?

Calling Roo soft is like calling him a dud player... laughable.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I think people need to divorce their hero worship from harsh media reality.

Nick Riewoldt's PUBLIC persona has been as a bit of sooky la la since he cracked his collarbone against Brisbane.

That's not to say it's a correct view - christ, the bloke is the bravest out there - but as far as opposition fans and critics are concerned, that's the fact of the matter.

I admire the pouring of a a man's heart as much as the next, but when footy PR is mostly about macho chest beating and hard, ruthless, take no prisoners rhetoric, then our good leader's Gen Y 'I'm not afraid to cry or ask for help' shtick don't cut it.

Put it this way - do you ever hear Jono Brown or Sam Mitchell or Tom Harley rabbit on about that sort of stuff?

It's one thing to have a skipper whose being positioned to be attractive across a broad demographic of potential members. It's another to have a club led by a bloke who gives the beyons ST K membership IMPRESSION he'd play through a broken jaw, multiple concussions and go all gladiatorial for the cause of victory.

I emphasise IMPRESSION.

In media and PR (is there a difference? Discuss) FACT has little to do with anything.

Ask Michael Clarke, Lara Bingle or Andrew Lovett about that. No one knows the nuts and bolts facts about anything to do with any of them but bet your bottom dollar everyone pretty much considers Clarke a weak-minded meterosexual poonce, Bingle a bogan tart and Lovett a convicted rapist despite the absence of a court case to prove the fact.

My personal view is shelve the heart pouring and revelations about counsellors and just get out there and bleed for a flag.

ACTIONS. NOT WORDS. Isn't that what was on the sticker they sent me?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
stinger
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:Embarassing...... Too much information Roo!

yep....the guy's honest.....wears his heart on his sleeve.....but wtf tell opposition players and supporters that he and others needed counselling after the loss....give em f*** all i say...

ps....i think a few of us should have joined him though...... :cry: :cry: :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

StNoodles wrote:good read, till you get to the comments from the nuffies below
yep......hence my post above....

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Just MHO but Im guessing the press had this info and were going to run with it either way and maybe the club and Nick just wanted to try and put their own spin on it rather than the press running with it saying he is too ashamed to speak the truth..

Opposition players and supporters all saw the reaction of our players when they lost and I think were going to give them hell about it either way

all said though, bugger the media bring on round 1
Last edited by TazzieSaintGirl83 on Wed 17 Mar 2010 12:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

yep....the guy's honest.....
Is this the same Nick Riewoldt you accused of lying about Ball?

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
saintlee
Club Player

No doubt Rooey will cop sh#t for this interview from ferals at the footy, and moronic posters on the herald scum website....but you really think he will care? He has been coping this "sook" rubbish for years, this is hardly gonna change that...

I used to get angry and defensive when people called him a sook, now I just laugh. Its nothing but tall-poppy syndrome, and every oppostion team would kill to have Rooey on their team.
Last edited by saintlee on Wed 17 Mar 2010 12:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ajer
Club Player

Call back radio is covering this story quite a bit today. Alot of people claling in saying he is a soft baby, there are people out there who actualyl face real problems in their life.

Arseholes, find someone else to pick on grrrr :oops:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Put it this way - do you ever hear Jono Brown or Sam Mitchell or Tom Harley rabbit on about that sort of stuff?
:lol: True. But JB makes Rocky sound like a Rhode Scholar, Sam Mitchell hasn't got anything to sook about after his team somehow won a premiership a couple years back, TH finished off his career captain of a double premiership team he barely had to lift a finger for...what have they got to blub about?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
He's given dickheads enough fodder over the years (being a pretty boy, 'blubbing' when he broke his shoulder - which normally tickles, sooking at the GF, making his relationship break-up public, blah, blah, blah), and it matters how much? The fact is, he'll fly backwards into a pack to take a grab with no thought of the consequences before any other player in the AFL...is near unmatchable in every respect...can win matches with a single bound...he's got

got that right..the guy is fearless......and certainly not a sook...runs himself into the ground until he is sick......should be less open with he press though...but he is still a young man......he will learn....the press ain't his friend......

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Ajer wrote:Call back radio is covering this story quite a bit today. Alot of people claling in saying he is a soft baby, there are people out there who actualyl face real problems in their life.
haha that cracks me up, I love that those people feel they can judge whats a "real" problem and what isnt. Until they are walking a mile in those persons shoes its all whistling in the wind

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Food for thought: Anyone who's having trouble with getting stick from others about the Saints captain being "soft" and is unable to deal with that could probably use a can of harden the f%&$ up themselves.

If people's 2-dimensional picture of an AFL star has just been challenged, then we're looking at genuine quality journalism from our footy writers.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
stinger
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
stinger wrote:

yep....the guy's honest.....
Is this the same Nick Riewoldt you accused of lying about Ball?

no...you accused me of saying that reiwoldt was lying about ball......i never said that...and you know it.......what i said was that nick only knew what the club told him...

..get a life andrew ffs and stop trying to score points off me ..... :roll: :roll:

...and stop trying to hijack good threads.....
Last edited by stinger on Wed 17 Mar 2010 12:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Interesting thread. I haven't (yet) read the article but can only surmise that Roo has been his usual honest self. As far as the ideal "macho image" for footballers goes; well the wonderful thing about humanity is its diversity. Jonathan Brown, Sam Mitchell, and Tom Harley may not as someone said; "go on" about the issue, but in a similar situation to Roo (A one-on-one interview) and faced with the same questions who knows how they would (honestly) answer.
I can still recall the image of Malthouse and Licuria weeping after the 2002 GF....no one questions their mental toughness..or machismo (for what THAT'S worth!)
Honesty and candour are not character faults in this poster's humble opinion. Nick has guts in bucketloads...just watch him play!
Personally, I don't give a "Blights toss bag" about what the media, our opponents or anyone else thinks about our skipper or US!

GO SAINTS and to hell with the rest!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:No doubt Rooey will cop sh#t for this interview from ferals at the footy, and moronic posters on the herald scum website....but you really think he will care? He has been coping this "sook" rubbish for years, this is hardly gonna change that...

I used to get angry and defensive when people called him a sook, now I just laugh. Its nothing but tall-poppy syndrome, and every oppostion team would kill to have Rooey on their team.

yep........bit like carey....everybody called him a wanker....but he won the roos a couple of flags ...and made a coach out of pagan......and ablett......same story...... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ajer
Club Player

TazzieSaintGirl83 wrote:
Ajer wrote:Call back radio is covering this story quite a bit today. Alot of people claling in saying he is a soft baby, there are people out there who actualyl face real problems in their life.
haha that cracks me up, I love that those people feel they can judge whats a "real" problem and what isnt. Until they are walking a mile in those persons shoes its all whistling in the wind
Yeah i totally agree mate, its pathetic.

I think what they are getting at though is that there are people starving around the world, or people dying in car crashes or whatever, and Nick is getting counselling over losing a footy game.

Bring on Round 1 already, enough of this rubbish. Im over it.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Even though it DOES provide fodder for fuckwits (read Bay13, Big Footy), I commend him for it, and Id be f***ed if Id have ANY other player as our captain and leader. The imbeciles and low IQ cretins and losers in life can say whatever the hell they want, for they would cut off their own appendages for the chance of getting a player of 1/2 the substance of Nick Reiwoldt. May I say, FFS. :evil:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
StNoodles wrote:good read, till you get to the comments from the nuffies below
Makes me a bit sick, though I kind of expected it when I read the story last night.

My first reaction is anger, but then I'm a little disappointed that society is still so ignorant. It sends the wrong message, any guy reading that would not feel encouraged to talk with someone if their emotions were getting the better of them.

Tall poppy is alive and well, it's not the first time our captain has been rubbished in this kind of way, and it won't be the last.
The nuffies are to be expected. Probably a few of us on here, if we were honest, would be doing likewise if it was an opposition player. Nonetheless is does p..s me off no end as I just have the most respect for Nick on and off the field, as captain, as a player and as a human being.

What was interesting though was that white haired, black goatee imbecile on the Today Show this morning when asked to comment on it (not that he really needs to be asked to yap!) I can't recall exactly what he said however he was being a typical smarta..e about it where a sensible player would have responded in a much more considered way. He really is an idiot that Aker! Can't wait to meet them again :)

PS The idiot was also being an idiot in response to Carey's comments re BBBBH

stinger
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Even though it DOES provide fodder for fuckwits (read Bay13, Big Footy), I commend him for it, and Id be f***ed if Id have ANY other player as our captain and leader. The imbeciles and low IQ cretins and losers in life can say whatever the hell they want, for they would cut off their own appendages for the chance of getting a player of 1/2 the substance of Nick Reiwoldt. May I say, FFS. :evil:

yes you may.....agree with your comments too..... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Thinline wrote:Put it this way - do you ever hear Jono Brown or Sam Mitchell or Tom Harley rabbit on about that sort of stuff?
:lol: True. But JB makes Rocky sound like a Rhode Scholar, Sam Mitchell hasn't got anything to sook about after his team somehow won a premiership a couple years back, TH finished off his career captain of a double premiership team he barely had to lift a finger for...what have they got to blub about?
Fair points! :D

Won't hear a bad word said about Browny, though. Prob my fave non-Saint. Old school...

Right re Harley. Hardly raining 'best on ground' points for Tom was it.

Having just watched Hawthorn in the NAB Challenge - I know, only a trial - game up here last week I CANNOT FREAKING BELIEVE that is essentially the same side that won a flag two years ago...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:Even though it DOES provide fodder for fuckwits (read Bay13, Big Footy), I commend him for it, and Id be f***ed if Id have ANY other player as our captain and leader. The imbeciles and low IQ cretins and losers in life can say whatever the hell they want, for they would cut off their own appendages for the chance of getting a player of 1/2 the substance of Nick Reiwoldt. May I say, FFS. :evil:
Too true!

I cant believe those people out there calling into the radio trying to say Nick isnt allowed to be upset because there are "real" problems in the world. I know I should ignore these zeros but its hard.

At least you know footy is nearly here when all the news in papers, internet, radio and tv are AFL related
Last edited by TazzieSaintGirl83 on Wed 17 Mar 2010 12:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maxstar22
Club Player

All he said is that he spoke to someone about he felt about the loss.

If I recall, we all have been doing the same for the past 6 months!! We just happen to be typing on a forum and not talking to a counsellor.

PS - Rooey mate, we think about it everyday as well.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Won't hear a bad word said about Browny, though. Prob my fave non-Saint. Old school...
He's a corker, isn't he. Kind of reminds me of Mark McClure, who I always thought was a Carlton pin-up boy, but sounds as hard as and make for entertaining commentary on the radio.