were we too quick to get rid of goose?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lendog heaven
Club Player

were we too quick to get rid of goose?

we rookied zac last year as back up to an injured goose and an injury prone max-they're both now gone and with sam going down it's obvious we've got no depth up back - goose looks to be travelling ok up north - maybe we didn't think it thru this year? just a thought.....

Tramps like us.............
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Maybe.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Confusion...can someone clear this up. There's been a lot of tubthumping about the club 'getting rid of' Goose, but I was under the impression he was offered a contratc, turned it down and elected to move on. All of which is fair and above board for all parties. Is this correct?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

In my naive opinion-
Much as I was saddened to see Matty Go and would have loved to see him stay- his ' clubman ship" was great.

he had not starred at Sandy- rarely got into BOG and despite playing most of the year he barely scored more votes in their B&F than bally who played 3 games.

he had a few good games and a couple of rippers at Full forward-
But for every game he played and kicked one of his long bombs
he would have another where he would be cross with himself because he would virtually miss compeltely or kicks would go astray- or little distance.

so sad to see the injury cruel his career.
Last edited by saintbrat on Wed 17 Mar 2010 8:22am, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

No we were not to quick to get rid of Goose and no we didn't offer him a contract.

Goose decided his best interests were served by finding a new place to play football. Personally I think he will enjoy playing footy in the QAFL.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:No we were not to quick to get rid of Goose and no we didn't offer him a contract.

Goose decided his best interests were served by finding a new place to play football. Personally I think he will enjoy playing footy in the QAFL.
Fair enough, and fair enough. Personally, I can't weep too many tears over a guy who was good in 2005, but now plays reserves. I liked Goose though, who didn't? Good luck to him elsewhere, but with our backline, he didn't seem to have a spot.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:No we were not to quick to get rid of Goose and no we didn't offer him a contract.

Fair enough, and fair enough. Personally, I can't weep too many tears over a guy who was good in 2005, but now plays reserves. I liked Goose though, who didn't? Good luck to him elsewhere, but with our backline, he didn't seem to have a spot.
Agree totally.

Love the bloke and wish him nothing but the best. But if he was to have a future at a club which came very close to a Premiership then he really needed to be tearing it up at Sandy, regardless of whether there was a spot for him in the 2009 Saints side.

One Eyed Saint
Club Player

No, but it highlights the faith RL has in Zac

Let's hope Zac stays fit and finds some form (very quickly)....

degruch
Saintsational Legend

One Eyed Saint wrote:No, but it highlights the faith RL has in Zac

Let's hope Zac stays fit and finds some form (very quickly)....
I can remember Max having a few shockers in his time (especially early on) too. How many games has Zac Dawson played? If he'd never played a game for Hawthorn, he would have taken out the Rising Star last year.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't matter how poorly Zac plays, goose was never going to replace him. Good decision by the club, and I like everyone else was sad to see his demise. He is not or was not the answer to our depth problems. Wish him well in Brisbane but I will be VERY surprised if he plays more than 6 games there this year.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It would of been good for Goose and for us, if he hadn't been injured and played his 100th last year. It seems it the unknown factor that troubles some, that there was no recent indication on his form at a senior level.

That being said, so many posters whose opinion I respect on here, have painted a pretty clear picture of his form in the VFL last year and his limitations.

Hope he finds he fits into some kind of role at Brisbane.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:In my niave opinion-
Much as I was saddened to see Matty Go and would have loved to see him stay- his ' clubman ship" was great.

he had not starred at Sandy- rarely got into BOG and despite playing most of the year he barely scored more votes in their B&F than bally who played 3 games.

he had a few good games and a couple of rippers at Full forward-
But for every game he played and kicked one of his long bombs
he would have another where he would be cross with himself because he would virtually miss compeltely or kicks would go astray- or little distance.

so sad to see the injury cruel his career.
Summed up perfectly, what you call a naive opinion, just happens to be a very perspicacious one IMHO!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

well the question here is:

CAN WILL JOHNSON PLAY???

cos will johnson was the one that took gooses spot as back up tall defender.

and if will johnson is worse than goose then we erred. If will johnson is better than goose we are in front.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:well the question here is:

CAN WILL JOHNSON PLAY???

and if will johnson is worse than goose then we erred. If will johnson is better than goose we are in front.
I've got a feeling Willy Johnson goes in hard and the more hardness the better because he will certainly be coming up against stiff opposition!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:well the question here is:

CAN WILL JOHNSON PLAY???

Is he worse than a guy who didnt play a senior game last year. i doubt it. Is he better. Who knows but he is about 6 years younger and has no ongoing injuries. Worth the gamble.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Still disappointed Goose didnt get his 100th game last season. Who knows, he might end up having 5 sons, all stars.

saintlee
Club Player

Goose was great in '04-'05.....he will never be the same IMO

He may go alright up in Qld...but I think he is too slow and cumbersome to be effective these days.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: were we too quick to get rid of goose?

lendog heaven wrote:we rookied zac last year as back up to an injured goose and an injury prone max-they're both now gone and with sam going down it's obvious we've got no depth up back - goose looks to be travelling ok up north - maybe we didn't think it thru this year? just a thought.....
yep...we did...imhfo....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: were we too quick to get rid of goose?

stinger wrote:
lendog heaven wrote:we rookied zac last year as back up to an injured goose and an injury prone max-they're both now gone and with sam going down it's obvious we've got no depth up back - goose looks to be travelling ok up north - maybe we didn't think it thru this year? just a thought.....
yep...we did...imhfo....
A couple of weeks back we had defenders coming out of our behinds. As well as last year's blokes we had others who could either fill the key back possies or at least release others to do so. Names like Geary, Dempster & Johnson plus rookies like Gaertner etc etc. Now one bloke goes down, and will miss a few weeks and suddenly we can't field a side!

The reality is that we should have kept Goose for depth no more than we should have kept X for midfield depth or Eljay Connors for forward depth.

No one knew Sammy would get injured and in any event, there's no guarantee it would have helped Goose get a gig in the ones.

IMHO we'll easily be able to cover Sammy until the ankle's right to go :)

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Nah he was too slow to move

Another opportunity awaits!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

russell holmesby seems to agree...in this week's 'inside football' he writes"with the benefit of hindsight,matt maquire could have been better value that filling his vacancy with an untried kid"

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:russell holmesby seems to agree...in this week's 'inside football' he writes"with the benefit of hindsight,matt maquire could have been better value that filling his vacancy with an untried kid"
He is a supporter with an opinion. Doesnt have any more credibility than people on here who think Goose should have gone.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:russell holmesby seems to agree...in this week's 'inside football' he writes"with the benefit of hindsight,matt maquire could have been better value that filling his vacancy with an untried kid"
He is a supporter with an opinion. Doesnt have any more credibility than people on here who think Goose should have gone.
did i say anything to the contrary....? :roll: :roll: :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
did i say anything to the contrary....? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Did i say you did?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

no......i happen to agree with everybody being entitled to an opinion......russell does however....have more credibility with me that certain posters on here...present company excepted of course..... :wink: :lol: :twisted: