Pressure now on Bulldogs...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

One Eyed Saint
Club Player

Pressure now on Bulldogs...

The media will jump on the band wagon and the bookies will follow.

I don't see how the doggies can improve on tonight (Johnno maybe)

I don't see how they are going to be able to maintain this form all year with 3 of thei best forwards 30+

As long as we can minimise no. of injuries throughout the year, we will take care of the doggies in September.

It was better to lose tonight and then make changes to improve rather than winning (with Ok form) and getting beaten in RD1.

I hate seeing us lose anytime but this is a good wake-up call we needed before the season proper.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Some people on here think it is the end of the world :roll: Give me a break it is march!

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
SaintSimmo
Club Player

Re: Pressure now on Bulldogs...

One Eyed Saint wrote:The media will jump on the band wagon and the bookies will follow.

I don't see how they are going to be able to maintain this form all year with 3 of thei best forwards 30+

As long as we can minimise no. of injuries throughout the year, we will take care of the doggies in September.

It was better to lose tonight and then make changes to improve rather than winning (with Ok form) and getting beaten in RD1.

I hate seeing us lose anytime but this is a good wake-up call we needed before the season proper.
VERY VERY TRUE. Great Post

Sainter for life.
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Re: Pressure now on Bulldogs...

One Eyed Saint wrote:The media will jump on the band wagon and the bookies will follow.

I couldn't agree more, these echo my thoughts exactly. I am not unhappy at all that we lost tonight. This is what we needed i reckon. Now we can review over the next couple of weeks and get things right for round one. The nab cup means nothing. The media and bookies will be all over the doggies now and will leave us along to a certain degree. We will be ok, there is no point being march champions, the only flag that matters is won in september and we will be firing on all cylinders by then i feel as long as we have a good run with injuries which is the key as always.

Go saints! Bring on Sydney in a couple of weeks!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
degruch
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Some people on here think it is the end of the world :roll: Give me a break it is march!
Happens every year, doesn't it? If we win it means nothing, if we lose everything's gone to hell. Did RL look worried tonight?

I agree 100% with OES's summation. I'd rather they have the 'poisoned challice' in their cabinet, as much as I hate losing (and see Barry Hall bury us...payback is coming for '05 Baz).

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Well our preseason has been considerable better than last years....

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Well our preseason has been considerable better than last years....
...and this place errupted in dispair then too. Too many lemmings in the ranks.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

They remind me slightly of us from 04, except not quite as good. Mark my words they will buckle under the pressure of expectation, mabey not from the media but certainly from their fans.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:They remind me slightly of us from 04, except not quite as good. Mark my words they will buckle under the pressure of expectation, mabey not from the media but certainly from their fans.

BANG BANG
Why is that?

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Agree, let's see how there 30+ guys are doing at round 11 and beyond.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Hurricane wrote:They remind me slightly of us from 04, except not quite as good. Mark my words they will buckle under the pressure of expectation, mabey not from the media but certainly from their fans.

BANG BANG
While I agree, the footy world is now starting to declare 'year of the Dogs' which can be a very premature distraction, why is it a given that they'll fall away? I

Dogs have had a much better pre-season than us and they've also played in preliminary finals for the last two seasons, so they're hardly in Carlton's boat when they were winning the pre-season cups.

Dogs showed every sign of being a team that will be tough to beat, even in September.

Bad management is bad management
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:Dogs have had a much better pre-season than us and they've also played in preliminary finals for the last two seasons
i thought they outplayed us in the prelim last year and we were just fortunate to have a key forward who stood up.

They are a very good side and well coached.

hall ... if he gets through the season without belting someone ... makes them more dangerous.

Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:Dogs have had a much better pre-season than us and they've also played in preliminary finals for the last two seasons
i thought they outplayed us in the prelim last year and we were just fortunate to have a key forward who stood up.

hall ... if he gets through the season without belting someone ... makes them more dangerous.
How can they have outplayed us if we won?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

123 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:i thought they outplayed us in the prelim last year and we were just fortunate to have a key forward who stood up.

they weren't able to put it on the board. sort of like us the following week.

doggerel
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
123 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:i thought they outplayed us in the prelim last year and we were just fortunate to have a key forward who stood up.

they weren't able to put it on the board. sort of like us the following week.
Agree 100% Bigcarl.

Barry belts someone when he is frustrated and can't get into the game. What's he got to be frustrated about now with the kind of delivery he is getting from the highly-skilled Bulldogs' mids?!

All signs are that the Barry gamble is going to be more successful than even optimistic Doggies supporters thought. I really think are the main dangers for us this season.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/w ... 5840648741

"The way we played against St Kilda, we would go into season 2010 fearing no one," Smorgon said.

"We have a harder edge to our club. We have been building on this for a long time, and now we have to go on with it.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/w ... 5840648741

"The way we played against St Kilda, we would go into season 2010 fearing no one," Smorgon said.

"We have a harder edge to our club. We have been building on this for a long time, and now we have to go on with it.
The Doggies are off to a flier again...are they going to fold up 3/4 of the way through the season, fall into the finals and lose another prelim? IMO, they look good, as they have for the past 3 years.

If Smorgs reckons he saw St Kilda at their best on Saturday night, he may be a little more fearful next time. Keep talkin' it up though.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Some people on here think it is the end of the world :roll: Give me a break it is march!
Exactly. We didn't exactly fire in the NAB Cup last year and it wasn't a bad season! No need to panic. Ok to feel some disappointment that we lost but as clarky said, it really isn't the end of the world. We can learn and improve and be better than 2009, which means only one thing...

ace
Saintsational Legend

Looks like Smorgon had more than meat in his sausages.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Too many lemmings in the ranks.
Do you mean at StKilda :lol: :lol:

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
degruch wrote:
Too many lemmings in the ranks.
Do you mean at StKilda :lol: :lol:
No, flowering St Kilda forumites...FFS... :roll: :roll: :roll: