A few casual observations

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

A few casual observations

The NAB Cup is a warm up for the real stuff, and I think Lyon was trying a few positional things out in the end, but things that stuck out to me were we need a more mobile full forward, Gilbert's skills were absolutely terrible, age is catching up with King, and McEvoy is coming along nicely. Gwilt did a great job under pressure and used his body well when a few around him were making a mess of things. Jones and Gram have taken a step up, Kosi is treading water and a bloke his size needs more mobility now. The Dogs played good footy and wanted the ball more, and Hall has kicked good bags against better and more experienced full backs than Zac, so I would't worry too much. Come on Round 1.

One Eyed Saint
Club Player

Agree with most of that

Jones was very good tonight and has clearly stepped up on last year

I don't know why Stanley wasn't played tonight as he was a good third forward option in the last few weeks.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Re: A few casual observations

spert wrote:The NAB Cup is a warm up for the real stuff, and I think Lyon was trying a few positional things out in the end, but things that stuck out to me were we need a more mobile full forward, Gilbert's skills were absolutely terrible, age is catching up with King, and McEvoy is coming along nicely. Gwilt did a great job under pressure and used his body well when a few around him were making a mess of things. Jones and Gram have taken a step up, Kosi is treading water and a bloke his size needs more mobility now. The Dogs played good footy and wanted the ball more, and Hall has kicked good bags against better and more experienced full backs than Zac, so I would't worry too much. Come on Round 1.
At last a voice of reason :D

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Hope the new look Sydney don't belt us in round 1.....they'd be pretty confident right about now,especially if the dud is at FF for StKilda.... :roll:

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
SaintSimmo
Club Player

Also the backline looked a bit weak(besides gwilt) Dawson = pathetic, Sam Fisher was injured, Gilbert = average, etc.

I know how r.clarke is the whipping boy on this forum, but.....i think that we actually missed him tonight he adds another dimension to our backline.

Would like jack steven in the midfield he is a great in and under player. Lets hope we can get j.smith up and running he would work nicely in the team. But these are all ifs and buts

Sainter for life.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Definitely agree we missed Raph's drive out of the back.

But I thought Gilbo was pretty good. And I didn't think Gwilt was all that terrific with his positional play, but his ball use was good.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Definitely agree we missed Raph's drive out of the back.

But I thought Gilbo was pretty good. And I didn't think Gwilt was all that terrific with his positional play, but his ball use was good.
Gilbert was ordinary at best...almost looked unco.......i'm sure he can improve

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
degruch
Saintsational Legend

One Eyed Saint wrote:I don't know why Stanley wasn't played tonight as he was a good third forward option in the last few weeks.
I've learnt not to pay too much attention to NAB Cup form, but I reckon Stanley would have been very useful tonight. It was a fast paced game, so hard to tell if he would have got lost, but having him on the forward flank would have at least created some opportunities.

I was always under the impression the Dogs would have been chasing a cup a lot harder than us, so disappointed some of the kids were left out or didn't get more time.

All in all, it's easy to see where we can improve, not so much the Dogs...better they peak pre-season than us.

Sainterone
Club Player

We missed Sam Fisher in the backline - don't underestimate Sam

I reckon he's the glue that holds them together.

BJ seemed to play less down in the backline too - our backline seemed to struggle tonight.

I thought the players that did well that weren't definite starters in last years 22 were McEvoy and Armitage.

Other players (I reckon there were more than 2) that were in our best 22 last year need to lift for round 1.

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

we were done by a far better unit tonight, they made most of our players look ordinary...don't look for excuses just hope we toughen up or else the same is waiting for us.
Noticed a few put Gilbert under the gun..what a laugh when you compare that to other contributions like Kosi, Armitage, etc etc etc etc etc .
The only thing we can hope for is that is part of the learning curve...because we got taught a few things tonight

chook23
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:we were done by a far better unit tonight, they made most of our players look ordinary...don't look for excuses just hope we toughen up or else the same is waiting for us.
Noticed a few put Gilbert under the gun..what a laugh when you compare that to other contributions like Kosi, Armitage, etc etc etc etc etc .
The only thing we can hope for is that is part of the learning curve...because we got taught a few things tonight
That last year WE DID NOT grab the chance...........

bloody hurts so much

Will it be there again to grab??

saint4life
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

They had their best possible team minus Johnno out there tonight.

We had at least half a dozen who will struggle to get a game this year.

Get over it, it was a practice game.

I saw a practice game at Sandy today and Michael Gardiner looked great.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:They had their best possible team minus Johnno out there tonight.

Bernard it is last game of last year that IS STILL the problem.... :cry:

hence the quickness to be bitter.......followed the game for so long without the ultimate GF win.....

saint4life
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:They had their best possible team minus Johnno out there tonight.

EX - FARKIN - ACTLY!!!!!

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

My casual observation, Gram will have a big year....GF did wonders for his confidence.

One Eyed Saint
Club Player

My observation...

CJ will be getting tagged by the end of the year.

Great game tonight and disposal keeps improving

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Farken NOOB cup who gives a sh it, it's just the fact we lost a game of footy.

Another opportunity awaits!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

My observations (from the whole NAB series) - my worries re Zac and Kosi haven't changed from the very 1st NAB cup game. I'm still hopeful though with both of them. Both are big confidence players. Can't believe how slow Kosi looks and how light Zac looks.

My biggest concern is Armo. Despite all the talk, I haven't seen anything different about his game - for mine he's still slow and doesn't work hard enough. Just doesn't find it enough or use it well enough.

WE looked disinterested in the 1st quarter, got ourselves back into it, and lost interest in the last 1/4 when it was obvious they were going to win.

THought that Ray was great tonight. Liked Gram's game and series since he started playing. THought big Ben was really good and is improving with every game.

Overall I have been disappointed that we haven't seen the fanatical pressure that typified our game last year. Haven't seen it all series which concerns me hugely, b/c last year in the practice matches it was very apparent.

However let's keep perspective - last year we lost by 80 points or something to Port Adelaide in the last practice match......

widereceiver
Club Player

FWIW, I agree with your points entirely Moods

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
bigred
Saintsational Legend

LMAO...

So now Raphael Clarke is the answer?

The biggest whipping boy @ St.K.F.C since Gumby....

LMFAO.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: THought that Ray was great tonight. Liked Gram's game and series since he started playing. THought big Ben was really good and is improving with every game.
Has been average for a long time IMO

Played very well tonight, close to our best

Hopefully a sign of things to come

Moods
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Moods wrote: THought that Ray was great tonight. Liked Gram's game and series since he started playing. THought big Ben was really good and is improving with every game.
Has been average for a long time IMO

Played very well tonight, close to our best

Hopefully a sign of things to come
If you're talking about Ray. Yes I agree. A big positive to come out of tonight was the return to form of Ray.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Lets all take a DEEP breath. :roll: and just get ourselves back to basics.
The AFL season commences in two weeks. Take it a match at a time, and get back to simply going to the match and barracking for the team! Let 2010 take care of itself! September is a LONG way off.
Expect NOTHING! Work hard to win EVERYTHING! 8-)
We sometimes let disappointments and frustrations get in the way of actually ENJOYING going to the footy!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saint vince
Club Player

When will everyone realise that our backline is the same as last year. Dawson is as good as he was. Blake is as good as he was. Fisher is as good as he was. Gilbo is as good as he was. The major differnence is the midfield pressure. Watch it step up round one when it really matters.

We play a very tough brand of footy to keep going for 26 weeks. If we did it for the 4 weeks of the nab it is almost impossible.

Our kids got massive amount of game time

Watch Dal, Joey and BJ play a lot more on the ball than they have been.

It was a practice game who f****en cares.

yipper
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:Overall I have been disappointed that we haven't seen the fanatical pressure that typified our game last year. Haven't seen it all series which concerns me hugely, b/c last year in the practice matches it was very apparent.
However let's keep perspective - last year we lost by 80 points or something to Port Adelaide in the last practice match......
Yep, especially that last praccy match of 2009 when we were smashed by an ultimately inept port power team. It was really evident then!! Just before we went onto win the next 19 matches in a row on the way to a grand final. I think we just had a very good, long look at a rival finals team and made som notes cos they went flat out at us. we played a practice match!!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.