Sentimental favourites this week?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sentimental favourites this week?

I don't know about anybody else, but it seems that the footy community is preparing to anoint the Doggies as the "peoples choice" for the NAB cup and also the 2010 Premiership. The reasons being; 40 years since a GF (of any sort) appearance, 56 years since their (only) flag and a narrow PF loss to the Saints in '09.
Now having had my team carry the mantle of "sentimental favourite" and "peoples choice as second favourite team" for more years than I care to remember, I for one am happily hoping for St Kilda to be the "villains who spoil the party" for the Western Bulldogs this coming Saturday evening, AND for 2010 (should we play them in finals again)

I remember Rod Butterss saying at the 2003 B&F that He was sick and tired of being everyones favourite "other team" He wanted the club to be despised ...because of our success!

I agreed with him then.....and do now!

Good on the Doggies, they're working themselves into a position to challenge for the ultimate prize.....but by gum they'll have to rely on more than "sentimental favouritism" to down our boys if we bring our best game along!

I'm the Jiggster...that's MY take!!!! :wink: :roll: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
GrumpyOne

I for one would be barracking for the Bullies if they were playing any other team.

Far too long have they been the poor relatives of the AFL.

The problem will be that they have recruited for short term success, and if they don't bring home any silverware in the next two years, they will be cactus for at least a decade.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

GrumpyOne wrote:
The problem will be that they have recruited for short term success, and if they don't bring home any silverware in the next two years, they will be cactus for at least a decade.

Agree 100%

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:I for one would be barracking for the Bullies if they were playing any other team.

They may have a great group of younger players coming through. We wouldnt be close enough to know as there supporters probably wouldnt know anything about our youngsters. By the way apart from Hall and Aker who are the others they have recruited for short term success?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

People are forgetting that we are one of the original members of the VFL. Footscray was one of the last teams in, after winning a number of premierships in the VFA. 1956 may be their only VFL premiership, but it is not their only premiership, like 1966 is for us.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:I for one would be barracking for the Bullies if they were playing any other team.

They may have a great group of younger players coming through. We wouldnt be close enough to know as there supporters probably wouldnt know anything about our youngsters. By the way apart from Hall and Aker who are the others they have recruited for short term success?
Ben Hudson?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Ben Hudson?
Well to me it is no different to us getting King, Gardiner and if Lovett had played.

Batnoe

The dogs have

Hall, Aka, Eagleton, Johnson

They are 4 starters and 4 players that can kick at least 2 goals per game

That is a fair chunk out of any team. Their midfield is still young enough to keep threatening, so if they get a good young forward they can stay up there for a while

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:The dogs have

That is a fair chunk out of any team. Their midfield is still young enough to keep threatening, so if they get a good young forward they can stay up there for a while
Hudson and Eagleton all must be close to last season players.

Hall, Aker, Johnno will kick most of their goals this year. Eagleton will kick his share.

But after the old buggers go it's back to where they once were - a team full of running midfielders with paltry ruck stocks and no direct path to goal.

They have no good young key forwards. Hill (?) and Harbrow are flankers. they don't have the body size to play a key position post. They'll never move Lake forward. He's too valuable up back. Hahn is fickle. They talk up this Williams kid, but he can't stay on the ground for more than ten seconds without blowing a foo foo valve...

Of all the clubs likely to get stung by GC and GWS, I reckon the Dogs are top of the list.

IMO, of course...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Batnoe wrote:The dogs have

Hudson and Eagleton all must be close to last season players.

Hall, Aker, Johnno will kick most of their goals this year. Eagleton will kick his share.

But after the old buggers go it's back to where they once were - a team full of running midfielders with paltry ruck stocks and no direct path to goal.

They have no good young key forwards. Hill (?) and Harbrow are flankers. they don't have the body size to play a key position post. They'll never move Lake forward. He's too valuable up back. Hahn is fickle. They talk up this Williams kid, but he can't stay on the ground for more than ten seconds without blowing a foo foo valve...

Of all the clubs likely to get stung by GC and GWS, I reckon the Dogs are top of the list.

IMO, of course...
Just interested to know why you think the Dogs will be the most threatened by the GC. I dont see why they would be worse than anyone else. Also have you seen much of the younger Dogs players in the seconds because I certainly havent to make a decision ifthey will be any good or not.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Of course everyone will be affected in one way or another, but from what I can tell the Dogs have significant retirements looming in the immediate future that leave a fairly significant talent void.

Put it this way...

The Dogs will finish top four this year you'd reckon.

In a compromised draft they will receive nothing in the way of picks at the end of the year. The same thing will happen in following years when GWS get similar concessions.

So if Hall, Aker, Hudson, Johnno, and Eagleton all take off for a spot of fishing, they'll have some obvious holes to fill but the draft won't do it.

The young kids they have been trialling during the NAB are midfield types. They have Williams, Higgins, Harbrow and Hill as potential forwards, but Williams forward means they lose the backman they seem to be trying to make him. The others skilful, but won't cut in KP posts you'd reckon. Other than that I've only heard of Andrejs Everitt, Sam Reid and Callam Ward.

As far as I can tell they'll either have to trade like buggers to fill the holes or do a bit of positional juggling.

By way of comparison, we seem to have a preponderence of bigger blokes like Lynch, Gaertner, Stanley (Fletcher-like defener maybe?), Cahill, and even Walsh if he comes to anything who will fill the Koz/Roo/Blake holes in two, three or four years. And in Geary, Steven, Armo, Heyne etc etc, a flotilla of feldgling midfielders who can fill any voids left by the departure of the Bakers, Hayes' types.

That's what I think. What do you think?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Sentimental favourites this week?

thejiggingsaint wrote:I don't know about anybody else, but it seems that the footy community is preparing to anoint the Doggies as the "peoples choice" for the NAB cup and also the 2010 Premiership. The reasons being; 40 years since a GF (of any sort) appearance, 56 years since their (only) flag and a narrow PF loss to the Saints in '09.
Now having had my team carry the mantle of "sentimental favourite" and "peoples choice as second favourite team" for more years than I care to remember, I for one am happily hoping for St Kilda to be the "villains who spoil the party" for the Western Bulldogs this coming Saturday evening, AND for 2010 (should we play them in finals again)

I remember Rod Butterss saying at the 2003 B&F that He was sick and tired of being everyones favourite "other team" He wanted the club to be despised ...because of our success!

I agreed with him then.....and do now!

Good on the Doggies, they're working themselves into a position to challenge for the ultimate prize.....but by gum they'll have to rely on more than "sentimental favouritism" to down our boys if we bring our best game along!

I'm the Jiggster...that's MY take!!!! :wink: :roll: :lol:
I think we really are losing the mantle of everyone's second team.

Apart from the points you have just raised, I also think people are starting to see us as a team that could have had two, maybe three flags by now but keep creating our own undoing.

Combination of sacking Alves a year after he takes us to a grand final, sacking Blight at the tail end of his first season, recruiting arguably one of the best lists in the modern era through good draft picks, sacking Thomas after three straight finals appearances, the public feud between Butterss and Thomas, Butterss resigning after sensing that he'd lost faith in the members, having one of the greatest winning streaks in Australian football history but still lose the grand final we should have won and now Ball walking for free and the Lovett recruit turning into an epic fail.

I know it's all would have, could have, should have and I'm not about to start debating on the logistics of these topics but I think people now see us as being void of their sympathy, as we're arguably our own worst enemies.
Last edited by SydneySainter on Mon 08 Mar 2010 2:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bad management is bad management
boneless23
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
The young kids they have been trialling during the NAB are midfield types. They have Williams, Higgins, Harbrow and Hill as potential forwards, but Williams forward means they lose the backman they seem to be trying to make him. The others skilful, but won't cut in KP posts you'd reckon. Other than that I've only heard of Andrejs Everitt, Sam Reid and Callam Ward.

That's what I think. What do you think?
Not really true.

The Dogs have been recruiting key forwards and a few of these kids look really promising.

Liam Jones had a great pre-season and tore up an intra club practice match about a month ago. He played NAB round 1 but the wet conditions in Canberra didn't really suit him.

Ayce Cordy was drafted as a potential tall forward rather than a ruckman and his devlopment continues to excite Dogs fans. He should play a couple of games this year.

Jarrod Grant is an interesting one as he was top 10 key forward draft pick that hasn't managed to develop his body (and his goal kicking) to the required standard. He should learn a great deal from working alongside Barry Hall.

Matthew Panos, who is on their rookie list, was the All Australian U/18 CHF last year so they are hopeful he will develop into something special. A beautiful kick for goal.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Forgot about Ayce Cordy. Haven't heard much of the others.

Are these blokes ready to be launched onto the big stage next year?

I suppose that's the question...

Anyways...probably getting a bit off track for a Saints forum...My bad...

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Who do you think will Saturday night's NAB Cup grand final?
St Kilda 31.3% (241 votes)
Western Bulldogs 68.7% (529 votes)
Total votes: 770

Another opportunity awaits!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Liam Jones, son of Bob. Played for us but not enough games for Liam to qualify Father/Son. Thought we may have picked him up all the same, the same with Charlie McAdam this year. Charlie may not have been good enough I suppose, but it would have been great to have the Winmar McAdam combination back.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sydneysainter, I see some good points in your reply, and hard to argue with in many instances. However, my OP is putting forward the idea that I really couldn't give a "blights toss bag" about just how we're seen by the media or by followers of other clubs who wish to "adopt" us as their "second team". Yes the Ball and Lovett issues MAY be seen as being worthy of us losing sympathy from the footy community. Personally I would prefer to hear ALL sides of those particular stories and not just the versions put out by Player managers and Legal teams. The fact that the team has made it to a GF (NAB cup I know :roll: ) despite all the distractions gives me cause for optimism.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

thejiggingsaint wrote:Sydneysainter, I see some good points in your reply, and hard to argue with in many instances. However, my OP is putting forward the idea that I really couldn't give a "blights toss bag" about just how we're seen by the media or by followers of other clubs who wish to "adopt" us as their "second team". Yes the Ball and Lovett issues MAY be seen as being worthy of us losing sympathy from the footy community. Personally I would prefer to hear ALL sides of those particular stories and not just the versions put out by Player managers and Legal teams. The fact that the team has made it to a GF (NAB cup I know :roll: ) despite all the distractions gives me cause for optimism.
I agree. Precisely the reason why I refuse to start a debate about who is the real ogre during our controversy over the last decade. The door swings both ways and there is always two sides to every story, sometimes more.

Bad management is bad management
Sam23
SS Life Member

GrumpyOne wrote:
RUBBISH!

They recruited one older player lol? Where does this statement come from.

Off the top of my head, under 25;

Roughead, Higgins, Ward, Addison, Griffen, Cooney, Everitt, Grant, Harbrow, Reid, Picken, Williams

And i'm sure theirs more.

Such an uneducated comment Grumpyone.

they lose over the next 2 seasons, Johnson, Akermanis and Eagleton.

As their younger players continue to develop.

Goddard.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Sam23 wrote:

they lose over the next 2 seasons, Johnson, Akermanis and Eagleton.

As their younger players continue to develop.
Hall won't last another two. So take him out and that's a hell of a lot of goals gone. Say they get 70 out Barry, 45 out of Johnno, 45 out of Aker and 15-20 out of Eagleton...Who's gonna step up short term in their absence?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Tall poppy is alive and well in Australia, if the Dogs string some wins together the sentiment will turn....

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

I would happily give up the sentimental favourite tag for September Glory. The Saints have plenty of loyal, passionate fans.
I would rather have Silverware than Sympathy

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

ONYA! tassiesaintgirl83! Now THATS what I'm talkin' about!!!!!! :lol:

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

While I know its kindly meant I would prefer to hear "geez you guys took the lot in 2010" rather than "Ive got a soft spot for you guys better luck next time"

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through