Armo...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Armo...

It has to be said - Armo is a currently a considerably better player than Ball.

Does the same grunt work BUT ALSO runs his guts out and presents as a genuine forward marking target.

Stay fit, and he will be a star this year.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Armo...

Thinline wrote:It has to be said - Armo is a currently a considerably better player than Ball.

Does the same grunt work BUT ALSO runs his guts out and presents as a genuine forward marking target.

Stay fit, and he will be a star this year.
Totally agree.

Lukey obviously has some very loyal supporters on this site so no doubt you'll cop a bit of flak.

However I have no doubt that the 2010 David Armitage is a better player than the 2010 (and 2009) Luke Ball :D

doggerel
Club Player

Pretty solid for a while, and an absolutely fantastic game tonight. If I were to choose one of the two, it would be Armitage ahead of Ball. Think there is plenty of upside ahead.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Why does it matter if Armo is better than Bally. Bally cant play for us as he is at Collingwood. It is better if Armo is ahead of Steven or Ray or another onballer.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Why does it matter if Armo is better than Bally. Bally cant play for us as he is at Collingwood. It is better if Armo is ahead of Steven or Ray or another onballer.

You thought Steven was ahead of Armo yeh?

I havnt seen much of Steven, so that is making me very very excited!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Why does it matter if Armo is better than Bally. Bally cant play for us as he is at Collingwood. It is better if Armo is ahead of Steven or Ray or another onballer.

You thought Steven was ahead of Armo yeh?

I havnt seen much of Steven, so that is making me very very excited!
Yes would have been good but he is out for 6 more weeks.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't it just be a comparision between a player who did a similiar job last year to the one expected to do it this year?

What is wrong with that comparision?

From what i saw of Luke Ball playing for that other team he looked exactly like Luke Ball - hard in and under, slow,and a poor disposer by foot and hand, not being able to kick more than 40 metres.

Armo, seems just as hard in and under, quicker, a longer kick, but still needs to work on his disposal a bit more.

Kicked two goals tonight and looked like he might have a good season if he can stay fit and keep form.

Dont be such a spoil sport p66.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Wouldn't it just be a comparision between a player who did a similiar job last year to the one expected to do it this year?

What is wrong with that comparision?

From what i saw of Luke Ball playing for that other team he looked exactly like Luke Ball - hard in and under, slow,and a poor disposer by foot and hand, not being able to kick more than 40 metres.

Armo, seems just as hard in and under, quicker, a longer kick, but still needs to work on his disposal a bit more.

Kicked two goals tonight and looked like he might have a good season if he can stay fit and keep form.

Dont be such a spoil sport p66.
Im not being a spoil sport. I want Armo to be our best midfielder this year but what Bally does or did doesnt matter. By the way bally was named best for the pies yesterday on Sports tonight. Do i care no just as I dont care if Jolly or Fraser are best.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Except for him taking two shots in the last (he can only kick as far as Luke), it was perhaps his most consistent game for the Saints. Had a lot of game tiime because Lenny went off. Was very good when the game need to be won in the third.

linz
Club Player

GOOD GAME BY ARMO.

Re Ball:
Inside word from Filth player. (Genuine)
Amazed at Bally's lack of speed. Probably Collingwoods slowest player.
Easily beaten in sprints etc. Great in & under though (der !!)

Probably better suited to wet conditions but certainly not Etihad. (Der again)

WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?
Last edited by linz on Sat 06 Mar 2010 11:36pm, edited 2 times in total.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Very good game from him, he is doing everything right...

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Was fantastic, should be in for a very good season, he could also be a very handy option for us when rested forward. Yeah he missed a couple tonight but IMO he just had an off night in front of goals and is a lot better than that.

Will he be better than Ball in 2010, IMO no, his best will be better but I don't think he will be as consistent which is what you'd expect from a player who has been in the system for 3 years compared to a players who has been in the system for 8.

Armitage has shown he's got the ability and he's really begining to look like he's got the attitude to become a very very good player with us.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Because, to point out the bleeding obvious, Armo is said to be the one who is to fill Ball's place.

Would have thought it was a perfectly reasonable comparison to make.

Why is that so controversial ?

Long day alone mate?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Finna
Club Player

Its obvious why Luke Ball left now.

He would have been playing Sandy this year. He saw what was coming.

Armo is looking the goods, so long as he stays fit and keeps his work-rate up I'd say we have managed to cut loose a player that may have played a lot of VFL for a lot of money.

Saintersss
Club Player

I think I creamed by pants when McEvoy tapped it straight down Armo's throat and he burst through the pack, kicked long to Kosi who crashed the pack, Lynch got the crums and handballed over the top to Stanley where he kicked the goal.

The future of the Saints right there.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Finna wrote:Its obvious why Luke Ball left now.

Armo is looking the goods, so long as he stays fit and keeps his work-rate up I'd say we have managed to cut loose a player that may have played a lot of VFL for a lot of money.
Yeah, but if Ball had stayed and played for Sandy, he would not have to get an arm covered in revolting tattooes. :roll:

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:

Yeah, but if Ball had stayed and played for Sandy, he would not have to get an arm covered in revolting tattooes. :roll:
Like Grammy. Is that what you mean?

ace
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ace wrote:

Gram has been infected by Jack Anthony's ex.
This infection will severely test the skills of the St Kilda footy club's medical staff, but I am sure they can overcome it.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
ace wrote:

Gram has been infected by Jack Anthony's ex.
This infection will severely test the skills of the St Kilda footy club's medical staff, but I am sure they can overcome it.
You need to get off it straight away. It can kill you. but im sure you know that.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Was so happy with Armo's game last night. He was like a mix of Ball and Lenny (the sidestep) at times. If he continues on like that, we'll be laughing (at least till the end of the year when the Gold Coast offer him a truckload of money and we all have to pitch in, Gary Ablett junior style, to keep him.)

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:If he continues on like that, we'll be laughing (at least till the end of the year when the Gold Coast offer him a truckload of money and we all have to pitch in, Gary Ablett junior style, to keep him.)
let's see him nail down a regular spot before we worry about that. must admit he looks okay, though, at this stage.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Just watched the replay and there were a couple of times that he weaved and cleared traffic that were very reminiscent of Mr Hayes.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:Just watched the replay and there were a couple of times that he weaved and cleared traffic that were very reminiscent of Mr Hayes.
Yes Lennys Dad was good in heavy traffic.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:Just watched the replay and there were a couple of times that he weaved and cleared traffic that were very reminiscent of Mr Hayes.

Thought the same thing.

Just a note regarding Armo - Thought he started adjusting to the speed of the game a lot more....Released the ball a bit earlier - and seems to know how much time he had more often.

Coming from VFL, and obviously playing the last four seasons there - That type of adjustment can take a bit.

f****** awesome game Armo! Best of seen of you! Love that left foot - Might turn it over sometimes, but he's got a great boot!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Why does it matter if Armo is better than Bally.
1/ It is called discussion. Discussion is what a good forum is all about.

2/ Comparing him to Ball I would have thought is very obvious and relevant topic. Armo being better than Ball would mean that the Saints are that bit better as Armo is cleary takng over Ball's postion.

While I am inrerested in players like Ray too..Ray is not an inside mid. Ball and Aemo both are.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....