Were we hardcore and dedicated or maybe just foolish??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Were we hardcore and dedicated or maybe just foolish??

..those of us who braved the elements and defied police requests :shock: to attend tonights game..heres my story,,,Id love to hear others..

Ummed and ahhed about going but about 5pm thought hell why not and jumped on a tram along Glenhuntly Rd (radio was saying car parks flooded, noo parking and SC station out of action) All was well til we got to St Kilda where we were turfed out into the rain then onto a tram behind us. Squashed in like sardines fielding calls from people at the ground. Every call was a new rumour. Game called off, game on, game on but no crowd allowed in (true), game delayed til 8.30

Another tram up Bourke St and arrived at the ground at around 6.30 to find the biggest queues you'll EVER see at a Saints Freo game lol. Every ticket window and entry gate at Gate 5 had at least 50 people in front of it. No tickets were being sold, the stadium was still being inspected we were told, by the sole PA announcer who also thought he'd try and liven everyone up with some humour and jokes. The air of "just STFU and tell us stuff about whether the game is on or not" was palpable. At one point the tickete windows were opened, a couple of people served, then shut again. Frustrating but I guess lots of safety boxes had to be ticked before they could let us in. Id hate though to think what might have happened if it had have been a Victory game or a Pies match.

Finally at 7.15 the gates were opened, we got in and the game started at 7,30, with MANY MANY people still waiting to get in. If you had reserved seats on Level 2, bad luck you were down with everyone else on Level 1. Funnily enough the atmosphere wasnt too bad considering, pretty similar to last week. Even felt like there was a few more than 5200 there.

After the game it was obvious that most surrounding car parks were closed, as the ES carpark was very crowded. Like lil earner for them of course :roll:

I will hereby "out" myself, Eastern, Solar, maxstar22 (thanks for the ticket and lift home!), mbogo and Nattens as harcore lunatic stupidly dedicated fans who made the trek. To those who couldnt make it due to damage to their own houses/property..I hope all is OK. To the rest of you...toughen up!!! ;-)

Anyone else got any stories from the night?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Foolish :lol:

Pretty much the same, except we parked at Harbourtown hoping to get a tram over to Etihad, but they were out of action as the roads were flooded....

Got very wet on the walk over, but it's all good :)

Maxstar22
Club Player

It will take abit more than alittle rain to stop me from going to the footy :P

No, in all seriousness...I thought about not going but decided to drive in at 5pm and see what was going down. The traffic wasn't too bad, just like a Friday night really.

Once we got to the ground, I got the sense from the staff that they had no clue wtf was going on. So Mum and I stood in the rain in the ticket queue for nearly two hours.

I think Eithad need to look at their emergency plans/actions etc. I think a decision should have been made alot quicker and with alot more communication than was done tonight.

All in all, I had a fun night. Haven't laughed at the footy like that in ages.

Thanks to the boys who made it quite amusing :lol:

Nattens
Club Player

Here's my story.

I left home about 3-3:30 heeding the above poster's advice to leave early to try and get to the ground. Unfortunately that was right when the storms had started.

The train arrived at Ormond on time (which was a surprise) but then terminated at Caulfield and we were told to catch the 3A tram to St Kilda Rd. About 200 people gathered at the tram stop for a tram that didn't come. By then the annoucer at Caulfield started telling people to head back the other way. But I would not stop to see the Saints.

Seeing an opportunity I jumped in a cab with two lovely ladies :wink: heading towards the city. Got the driver to put on 774 which told us of the pure anarchy which was going on around us. Traffic was pretty good along Dandenong Rd at this point until we got to Chapel St where it stopped. Not wanting to pay to sit in a parked cab we paid and got on a tram towards the city at St Kilda Junction.

The tram cruised passed traffic for a while until we reached Commercial Rd where there were about 20 trams stuck in a line in front of us. Mustering up my strength I alighted and started the long walk from South Commercial Road, South Yarra to Etihad Stadium.

Along my walk I was amazing at the piles of hail on the ground and did my best not to slip over on the moss that had gathered all on the footpath and the road. Traffic was not moving from St Kilda Junction to Flinders St along St Kilda Rd and every one had given up on trams and was walking.

Got into the city and walked along Flinders St until Queen St where the road was flooded. A Hilux with a snorkel cruised through the flood tooting his horn and flashing his lights, and it actually made the police officers quite amused.

I was shocked at the state of the city. There was plaster on the ground and bits of trees and buildings all over the place. Finally I arrived at Etihad after watching the waterfalls of Southern Cross (people who were there know what I mean) ;) and the rest is history!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Maxstar22 wrote:It will take abit more than alittle rain to stop me from going to the footy :P

No, in all seriousness...I thought about not going but decided to drive in at 5pm and see what was going down. The traffic wasn't too bad, just like a Friday night really.

Once we got to the ground, I got the sense from the staff that they had no clue wtf was going on. So Mum and I stood in the rain in the ticket queue for nearly two hours.

I think Eithad need to look at their emergency plans/actions etc. I think a decision should have been made alot quicker and with alot more communication than was done tonight.

If it was made quicker they wouldnt have played. They did exactly the right hing for us and especially Freo.

Maxstar22
Club Player

Where you there tonight Plugger?

Or where you the building inspector dude we were all holding our breath for to arrive and make a decision?

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Well I'm flat broke so I didn't have the money to make it in.... Byut living in the country and having only one car (which the wife took to visit her mother tonight), the only way Dad and myself could have made it in tonight was a Vline train..... which stops at SC..... which was closed.....

But flat broke is my only excuse which I know isn't good enough so you can all bite me. :P

But we watched the game and I have to say it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, atmosphere wise. Channel ten's coverage was appalling - well not their coverage because they didn't do it but playing five or six or seven ads during a delayed telecast smacks of Channel 7, not 10.

But in the end Dad and I had a good time watching our young blokes play, and screaming at everyone to kick it to Jones because "he hasn't ahd a kick all game!!!" in the final quarter. (Needless to say, several berverages were consumed - hope I can still see the keyboard, for all I know, this could be written in Japanese)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Maxstar22 wrote:Where you there tonight Plugger?

Or where you the building inspector dude we were all holding our breath for to arrive and make a decision?
I was at home. i have seen my one practice game this year and saw Sandy today. That was enough live footy this early in the year.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Maxstar22 wrote:It will take abit more than alittle rain to stop me from going to the footy :P

If it was made quicker they wouldnt have played. They did exactly the right hing for us and especially Freo.
The decision couldn't have been made any quicker because Worksafe inspections had to be made before allowing the players, the staff or the public in to what was a dangerous environment. I had Medallion Club tickets that I couldn't use, but safety is paramount.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

I'm not going to travel for a minimum hour & a half (assuming no delays with public transport) there & same back home to maybe get to watch a game of football. And don't tell me to toughen up. :x

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

The decision couldn't have been made any quicker because Worksafe inspections had to be made before allowing the players, the staff or the public in to what was a dangerous environment. I had Medallion Club tickets that I couldn't use, but safety is paramount.
I can understand that, but really they shouldn't of let the players warm up if it wasn't safe yet...I mean, they hadn't even let the staff in at that point.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Well to answer the question I'd say you were all bloody foolish!

However I admire the fact you made the effort - well done :D

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

snoopygirl wrote:I'm not going to travel for a minimum hour & a half (assuming no delays with public transport) there & same back home to maybe get to watch a game of football. And don't tell me to toughen up. :x
joke Joyce :-) Id not have gone either if Id had to have relied on trains. Only made the trek cos I live right next to a tram line
OH and if I had Foxtel might have tipped the ledger a bit too lol

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

When Saintsation alerted me that tonights game was in doubt... Thanks guys!

We turned the radio on and waited for information....Man, I had my heart set on going all week!

Poor form by SEN though, their information and announcement were pathetic - spitting out incorrect information throughout the night.

They stated they were awaiting an official announcement from the AFL...then they said Fans are allowed in from gate 5. After 20 minutes they stated they were still awaiting official word....By then already in the car. Just stats when facts are not confirmed. Abusive texts were sent!

Hoped into the car at 6:30, took citylink all the way and parked at our usual spot near the docklands newquay where the apartments were!

Walking to the ground, SEN stats that 7.10 and 7.30 starts were 100% not going to happen....likely to be cancelled. Got to the gate and the bloke stats we will open the doors in a couple of minutes. Disappointed with SEN, as im a loyal listener.

Got in straight away (thankyou afl membership!) with the olds who gained some free tickets - while the siblings waited in the gigantic line out the front for about a quarter. They were not happy!

Sat right behind the bench...My usual nab cup spot! And loved every minute of it....except for when i realised lenny had stayed off.

SaintDebi
Club Player

Wasn't able to go to the game tonight for a number of reasons, including financial reasons, so we never intended driving in there.

However at around 5.30 got a call from oldest daughter who had stayed a couple of nights in Melb. Her phone was flat so she called from a pay phone.
Southern Cross was closed, no trains running and at that point no busses to Geelong, with staff not able to tell her when / if there might be some. So she is stranded. Can't call her Melb friends cos all their numbers are in her phone - and its flat.
We called Geelong Station from here and they were able to tell us that busses would soon be running, but then of course we couldn't let her know that without her phone, so off we go down the highway in the slush and rain to find her.
Had managed to sort of work out where to meet her, in front of AFL house, opposite the cow sculpture (only landmarks she could remember), but of course had no way of letting her know how long we'd be or when we were there.
Luckily got a park nearby, then I had to brave the elements and get soaked to find her. We had our wires crossed and instead of being at street level she was sheltering on the concourse.
Found her fairly quickly ( advantage of the weather meant no crowds), got back to the car, home, showered and in my pj's in time for the start of 10's delayed telecast.

So went all the way to the ground, and all the way back and didn't even go in to watch the game!

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Good work Mum :D

Sainter_4_life
Club Player

I didn't even know the game was in danger of being called off untill about 6.15 when I was already on the train and logged onto saintsational using my phone. Couldn't be stuffed turning around so decided to soldier on. Got off the train at melb central and tramed it down bourke st to the dome, arriving about 7pm. By the time I had managed to get a ticket (who would of thought it would be a struggle to do this) and get into the ground it was halfway through the first quarter. Still had fun watching the training run that it was. Thankfully after the game southern cross was open and the train ride home went smoothly.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Never a thought of not going, had fun waiting outside and then enjoyed a great night at the footy. GO SAINTS!

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

already on route when the warning came,
fine trip- decided we'd come this far at half way that we'd continue
bridge clear
carpark organised - even if full of commentators cars
friendly queue

in as soon as gates opened- ball bounced as we walked the concourse- longest queue was at the beer stand

seats fine
game Great

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
fingers
Saintsational Legend

I drove in. Was always going to be late. Listening to SEN.

Got to Spring st. Turned around to go home.

Got to Alexandra Parade. Turned around to go to the game.

Got to Brunswick st. Turned around to go home.

Got to Queens parade. Turned around and went to the game.

Saw the line for buying a ticket. Was going to turn around and go home.

Then once inside and had a Cougar, I was ok.

Thanks for asking ;)

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Train from Malvern at 6.25pm, arrives at Melb Central 6.40pm. Walk to ground, arrive 7.00pm, wait in line for 15 minutes (no big deal, we just had one of our worst storms ever). Watch Saints dispose of Freo. Home via train from SC (now open) at 10.00pm arriving at 10.30pm.

The Internet made it easier than it might have been, looking at the various sites, eg Saintsational, Metro, etc.

Hate watching football on TV and can no longer listen on the radio.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

best fun I have had in a long time....

still want to adopt the old guy!!! Thankgod the security was more focused on protecting what was left of the stadium and not kicking me out for being stupid :D

Bizzarre night

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintnick12
Club Player

Was always planning on going. Had even talked my parents into going (they don't usually go to nab cup games except the GF).
After the storms, was still thinking of going as didn't know at that stage about the damage at Etihad. Started looking on the internet to see if I could buy a ticked to park underneath at Etihad so wouldn't have to walk in the rain. No access on match day, then thought I'd buy one there.
Got a call from parents about 4ish. Knew they would call and cancel - mum not good at going to games when weather is really bad. She hates the MCG out in the open unless its fine, so GF day with seats in the open getting drenched was a real challenge for her - I told her to suck it up as many would love to take her place...
Anyway, I digress...

Mum and dad's place was badly damaged by the storms, water was coming into the house, heaps of broken tiles on the roof, broken windows and dads car badly damaged including a smashed back windscreen. Right up until then was still thinking of going just my 14 year old and I. But then my husband went over to help mum and dad (he got up on their roof and replaced the tiles etc), so I stayed at home with the two year old. There was no way I would attempt to take him on such a night. He was going to stay home with my husband, but he had gone to mum and dad's so who knew when he would be home. In the end I watched the game live on Foxtel. Husband arrived home with takeaway for dinner just as game started, so sat on the couch watching the game. Was very enjoyable. I even clap and shout as if I am there which is pretty annoying for everyone else. My husband thought he was going to have a free night, but had to watch the saints instead...lol.
Looked like a good atmosphere and I was jealous I was not there, but with the kids I had to be responsible, much as I wanted to be there.
Lots of positives on the night for the boys, and the injury to Lenny seemed to be the only negative.
I look forward to next week.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote: Then once inside and had a Cougar, I was ok.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

watched it live on fox hd.....chinese from the local takeaway ....one dog on my lap....another at my feet......oh, the dogs interchanged after half time.....great game.....hate those close ones..heart attack country...impressed by our young ones...future looks good.....and i stayed dry......inside and out... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

...got into the usual dispute after the game on here.....thought it wasn't worth the effort so went to bed happy.... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.