Is it that important to win this week?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Loxton
Club Player

Is it that important to win this week?

I know its important to build our winning culture at our club, especially to instill it into our newer and younger players, and their is a nice cash incentive to win the NAB Cup. The other three remaining clubs would be pretty desperate to win this. For me i would rather know that we have vrtually a full fit list to choose from come Round 1. By no means am i saying that we dont try to win, but its a long season and i just want us to have the best possible preperation for it. Or do you think the best possible preperation is to win this comp (obviously didnt hurt Geelong too much). If that means fine tuning a few things in a praccy match next week with a stronger team its fine by me. Thoughts anyone?

Hunter Clark 2024 StKilda Saints Premiership captain.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I want to win!

Nattens
Club Player

I want to win, plain and simple.

Never wish your team to lose.

St Loxton
Club Player

Nattens wrote:I want to win, plain and simple.

I never do, just looking long term for our squad.

Hunter Clark 2024 StKilda Saints Premiership captain.
Nattens
Club Player

St Loxton wrote:
Nattens wrote:I want to win, plain and simple.

I never do, just looking long term for our squad.
Long term interest for the kids should be to develop a winning culture in the club.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

+ the extra money is always a bonus

St Michele
Club Player

If only for the fact my husband has been a Dockers supporter for the whole time they have existed and last year ( after 20 years of marriage and attempted conversion to the Saints) decided that he really is a Saint and got membership and has dropped the Dockers.... YES WE HAVE TO WIN!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:I want to win!
me too...always..always want to win.....never an exception.....doesn't matter what either... :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...if you don't play to win ,you shouldn't be out there...forget that crap from some sports administrators and sundry softcocks....... :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The most important thing this week is noinjuries and the young guys do well. Anything else is a bonus.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I want to win and long term for the list, be great for the young guys to get a win playing together.
If they play well, they give notice that they want a spot and are capable of getting a spot in the senior team.
Incidently, any news on Gardiner?

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The most important thing this week is noinjuries and the young guys do well. Anything else is a bonus.
100% agree and I think the coaching staff feel the same in leaving Roo and BJ out of the side. That illustrates p66's post in one fell swoop.

Would be nice to win, that's just human instinct.

quidnunc
Club Player

To Saint Michelle,

very nice conversion - well done!

My wife used to barrack for the filth but fortunately I was able to erase those bad memories!

Cheers.

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

quidnunc wrote:To Saint Michelle,

very nice conversion - well done!

My wife used to barrack for the filth but fortunately I was able to erase those bad memories!
Cheers.
Of the wife? or From the wife ? :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

fingers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The most important thing this week is noinjuries and the young guys do well. Anything else is a bonus.
+1

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

It would be good if we win as it's my birthday next Saturday. :D

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Win - and no injuries :shock:

Stand your ground :shock:
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

snoopygirl wrote:It would be good if we win as it's my birthday next Saturday. :D
Wooohooo..cake at the NAB GF!!!

I vote Black Forest :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
nuttsy
Club Player

St Michele wrote:If only for the fact my husband has been a Dockers supporter for the whole time they have existed and last year ( after 20 years of marriage and attempted conversion to the Saints) decided that he really is a Saint and got membership and has dropped the Dockers.... YES WE HAVE TO WIN!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
It only took my wife one week to swicth to the mighty saints, I don't know how you did 20 years!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:Win - and no injuries :shock:
I'm with you, it's called multi-tasking :)

SaintSimmo
Club Player

we must win! i Live in perth and i dont want to hear all the crap about how awesome freo are now.

Something funny i read in the paper a few weeks ago. Mark Harvey reckons they (freo) can win the flag this year.haha what a joke!

Sainter for life.
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
snoopygirl wrote:It would be good if we win as it's my birthday next Saturday. :D
Wooohooo..cake at the NAB GF!!!

I vote Black Forest :-)
I vote Black Label in a hip flask, just to wash down the cake....or maybe Grey Goose 8-)

PJ
SS Life Member

Pros
Money, exposure (TV), bragging rites, smiles on saint supporters faces for another week, successful use of game plans

Cons
Media hype, expectation

Seems to me the pros are more tangible but the cons can become a mind game if you let it.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Well would sorta take a win but wont be dissapointed if wee lose.

A couple of reasons

1) Whole family are Bulldog supporters and I would like to see the Dogs win something. We have won it twice in the past 5 years. This means the Dogs have won something and we can concentrate on winning what is rightfully ours - the flag.

2) The final will be in Freo, meaning the Dogs have to travel and we probably wont.

So all in all wouldn't mind losing, but will take a win.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I would love to win this week. I do feel Freo will be up for it though whereas we have our eyes on another prize.

I would love much more to eradicate the dogs the following week in comprehensive, dismissive, jaw-droppingly brutal style the following week. Something along the lines of what Brisbane did to us in the '04 (?) semi.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

I'm getting concerned about the dogs.

There was absolutely nothing in our prelim against them last year. Though we were the best team all year, i felt disappointed we didn't convincingly enter the grand final. We scraped through because the dogs missed some crucial shots at goal. Likewise we lost the grand final because of that..

Anyway, not really keen on playing the dogs yet. There's something far more important to worry about.

The dogs are everyones ladida pretty special sentimental favourites. They're so poor and tortured so the sympathy rains down on them. I will never have pity for them, they are a threat to our chances and must be treated with equal brutality.

Don't really want the saints taking tonight too seriously. Just have some fun, it's pre-seasons. Lets see a few Milney bananas, a few Goddard 300m 9 pointers, but a win isn't too big of a deal.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.