Gwilt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

FWIW, I thought Gwilt was recruited in the 2004 draft (with McQualter) and is therefore only going into his 6th year. And he missed most of 2006 through injury. So he isn't that experienced.

I think he's struggled to learn how to play for Lyon. I reckon last night was the first time I've seen him truly shine playing the Lyon style of game. It could be a turning point. Here's hoping.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bergsone
SS Life Member

IMO he will play RD 1 ,if Goodes plays for swans,seems a good matchup especially now that he has experience playing forward and back,which Goodes does.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Gwilt is in his 7th year and not many players all of a sudden improve that late into their career. He will continue to play ok games and the disappointing games. That is why he isnt a regular. Hope I am wrong but just cant think of guys improving that late into their careers. Also it is only a practice match and some form can go up and down in these games especially fringe types.
You are correct not all improve late.

But some do...ie Jason Blake.

Goodes is a big scalp. Maybe it was a one off. Maybe not.
If he can however settle into HB it may free up BJ for elsewhere.

Could well be worth trying him there as HFF does not look his go.

This could be Gwilt's last chance though....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigred
Saintsational Legend

However I heard Grant Thomas last year saying he was worth hanging onto for a couple of reasons
Careful, they might hear you....

Legendary
Club Player

Gwilt has certainly been given many opportunities, and Saturday night was the first time he has really really impressed me (not counting his second ever game).

He was a pretty late starter to professional footy, and Jason Blake has shown that you can improve enormously after age 25. I never saw it in Blake and yet he has become one of the best backmen in the best defence in the league.

Good luck to Gwilt, he has plenty of competition ...

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Jimmy is looking very good at the moment.

If he keeps up his intensity, I think many on this site will be pleasantly surprised. Go Jimmy.

Peake is not playing Saints Footy.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Gwilt is in his 7th year and not many players all of a sudden improve that late into their career.

not too good with the old 'rithmetic hey plugga.???....played 5 years...sixth coming up......still only 23 years of age ffs....andrew thompson hadn't played a game until he was 24........mb is spot on...as usual...you as usual are wrong..... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I've always thought he was one of our most over-rated players .. and I never would have him in our best 18.

However, Sat nites game against the Swans - he was good, I liked his decision making, and I liked his disposal. Perhaps this is his breakout year. Improvement from players outside our top 18 can only improve our premeirship chances.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Gwilt is in his 7th year and not many players all of a sudden improve that late into their career.

not too good with the old 'rithmetic hey plugga.???....played 5 years...sixth coming up......still only 23 years of age ffs....andrew thompson hadn't played a game until he was 24........mb is spot on...as usual...you as usual are wrong..... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
One year out. My point remains. As you said AT was really in the system till then. Completely different to someone in their 6th year. I surprised that you still have the ability to add up. By the way you never told me when AL court case must be hel under law. Is it because you havent got a clue?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:Gwilt was great and Peake looks the goods. Farren Ray needs to perform mainly because the second year is always the test.
Thought Gwilt went well. Played the sort of game we want to see from him week in week out.

Peake was good? I was surprised to learn he'd actually played. Did he touch it? Maybe his lack of familiarity to me in Saints colours means he doesn't stand out yet.

Ray was serviceable enough and did a couple of EXTREMELY courageous things which I really admired. Schneider too for that matter.

Milney was red hot.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
PJ
SS Life Member

Didn't get to see much of the game but would like to know - Where did Jimmy play? Was it on Goodes all night and if so was a new role for him?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Duggie
Club Player

Why is Jimmy G subject to this sort of cross examination every year--by some ? There is great potential in him and he is showing us more of it every game. :lol:

A Saint Forever!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt was in cottonwool at training today, only rode the bike up in the rooms.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

intensity, needs to work harder in defence but the best game for the club since he played on hall a few years ago.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Gwilt was in cottonwool at training today, only rode the bike up in the rooms.
He did a little bit, just not the running or the warm ups....did do some handballing, and a little kicking. I have a feeling he still may be playing though, just seemed to be amongst it...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:. By the way you never told me when AL court case must be hel under law. Is it because you havent got a clue?

yeah i know...used to be part of the system that lobbied for that sort of accountability on the part of our courts....keep trying though... :wink: :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Duggie wrote:Why is Jimmy G subject to this sort of cross examination every year--by some ? There is great potential in him and he is showing us more of it every game. :lol:

i agree....he appears to be our new kicking boy.....i couldn't see why pple were specifying him to be dropped for the second nab game...and said so...raph's not playing and we need a fall guy.....only problem ...he played well.... :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Gwilt was in cottonwool at training today, only rode the bike up in the rooms.
Might be sore from all those knees he copped in the back from Goodes.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I personally think Gwilt has a lot to offer as a HFF but is let down by his personality. If he was a vain, cocky tossbag like, say, Dermott Brereton he could really be anything up there. However he seems like a fairly quiet, modest chap and it just seems he doesn't want to get in the way of Roo & Kosi, or at least doesn’t demand the ball because of those guys. Of course that’s not helped by team mates seeking out Roo & Kosi as they bring the ball in.

In the backline he doesn't have to worry about that, only minding his opponent. So short of getting him to to a hypnotherapist, I think that's where he's destined to play his best footy.

starsign
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:I personally think Gwilt has a lot to offer as a HFF but is let down by his personality. If he was a vain, cocky tossbag like, say, Dermott Brereton he could really be anything up there. However he seems like a fairly quiet, modest chap and it just seems he doesn't want to get in the way of Roo & Kosi, or at least doesn’t demand the ball because of those guys. Of course that’s not helped by team mates seeking out Roo & Kosi as they bring the ball in.

In the backline he doesn't have to worry about that, only minding his opponent. So short of getting him to to a hypnotherapist, I think that's where he's destined to play his best footy.
mm... perhaps your right...and his penetrating disposal at speed from HB is a plus as well .... good call!!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Just needs some consistancy.

Played one great game in the Adelaide final in 2005..strung a couple together when asked to pinch-hit at FB in 2008...and now has played a very good NAB game in 2010. In this respect he's similar to Raph ( thats not a criticism, Raph has had injury worries also pretty mugh right through his careeer) and looks like being slotted into a similar role.

My only slight concern is that he's yet another left-footer coming out of defence. Great if he's balanced and on the preferred, but like Gilbo seems hesitant to try the right foot, preferrig to take that lil bet extra time to get onto his left....which can be fatal defending 50m from goal

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Legendary wrote: He was a pretty late starter to professional footy, ..
Played his first game of AFL two weeks after his 19th birthday. Most Saints recruits don't get a sniff that early.

He didn't play TAC but that's not really professional footy.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Might be sore from all those knees he copped in the back from Goodes.
He did nothing at training last week either, I'm told.

spert
Saintsational Legend

All I have to say to RL is -let Gwilt settle in one bloody position (not the backline) and stop trying to use him as a stop-gap all over the ground. Park him on a HFF or in the middle where his disposal, especially by foot will be invaluable, and he will be a good contributor for us..no star, but effective.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:All I have to say to RL is -let Gwilt settle in one bloody position (not the backline) and stop trying to use him as a stop-gap all over the ground. Park him on a HFF or in the middle where his disposal, especially by foot will be invaluable, and he will be a good contributor for us..no star, but effective.
You are joking about the middle arent you?