STANLEY

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Why could he not play the hit up third mid sized forward that we ALL think we are lacking?

He has the attributes, just an extra 20cms...

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Why could he not play the hit up third mid sized forward that we ALL think we are lacking?

He has the attributes, just an extra 20cms...

Stanley Mid sized forward key attributes

1. A good mark - yes
2. Good tank - ?
3. Fast - Yes
4 Good at ground level - No
5 Can play stints in the middle - No
6 Good disposal - ?
7 Can read the play well - ?

He's a ruckman or KPP plain and simple not anything else.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

just a reminder that I flagged his move to the forwardline back in October ... this is part of a plan ...

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... ys+stanley

and just in case you think I am a late comer to the Stanley bandwagon ... I have been a huge fan since his draft day and I stick by every one of these posts

amongst my many other ravings on this kid

and Plugger ... I know you like to play mr calm and reasonable but it is ok to get excited about Rhys ... he wont let any of us down

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:Ross was certainly very happy with him in his interview on TEN in the prematch which I've just watched after arriving home from the game. He talked about how athletic he is and not only did he take a few catches (his words), but he they were contested marks against quality defenders (last week ).
well, what is not to like.

i'm just glad he is being fast-tracked and obviously has not pigeon-holed as a ruck only prospect.

let's hope he's given more game time next week so he can continue to press his claims. the forward line looks more potent with him in it imo and i'd be surprised if he doesn't become a regular before too long.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 28 Feb 2010 10:52am, edited 2 times in total.

ace
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
battye wrote:I think he has star written all over him. There was discussion in the commentary about can we sustain a forward line of Riewoldt/Kosi/Stanley... the point was made that we did well with Gehrig/Riewoldt/Kosi and I tend to agree.

Stanley would provide another strong marking option... I don't know how other teams could cope.
The Swans nearly did tonight.
"Nearlys" don't count or have you already forgotten that St Kilda "nearly" won last years premieirship.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
battye wrote:I think he has star written all over him. There was discussion in the commentary about can we sustain a forward line of Riewoldt/Kosi/Stanley... the point was made that we did well with Gehrig/Riewoldt/Kosi and I tend to agree.

Stanley would provide another strong marking option... I don't know how other teams could cope.
The Swans nearly did tonight.
Good point, I completely overlooked pre-season matches being an indicator for the rest of the season.
hang on battye- u just used a pre-season game to claim something (your 3 pronged attack theory which noone could cope with) then claimed against using pre season games as a judge. u cant have it both ways buddy.

on that issue - every year since i can ever remember teams have claimed 3 tall forwards would "stretch defence" and that noone could cope - richmond have been experts at this kind of march talk. and in the real stuff it NEVER works.

markp
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
vacuous space wrote:I'm with Captain Buzzkill. Stanley showed a few exciting flashes, but didn't do enough to suggest he's close for round one. Handball receive, goal, tackle, contested mark (on Mike Pyke), ineffective kick. It was a nice cameo. It's still likely to be Roo, Kosi and the small brigade up front in round one.

Also, Kosi rucked a lot back when Gehrig was here. Gardiner and King didn't play their first games for us until after Gehrig played his last.
So you mustnt be a true Sainter either. Honesty aint the best policy around here. The worst part is I have said he will be a star from day one but of course that doesnt matter.
Please let us know when it's ok to get excited about Stanley.
Any time you like but he still isnt playing round one.
Thanks Robbo....

When will he play?
Round one 2011 and the powerball numbers next Thurday are 2,7, 12 ,17 ,34 and 41.
I think he'll play before then...

And cheers for the powerball numbers.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Put a top 5 draft number next to his name and people would be talking Rising star favourite
he might be rising star favourite if anyone thought he'd play the twenty or so games required to win it. the entire football world knows he won't so he's not.

ideally he'd play less than ten this year and then break into the team next year. then he'd still be eligible and a real chance. but he'll still need to play twenty games to win it.

markp
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:I can see Stanley replacing Kosi.
Not yet.
But maybe before the end of the season.

He is able to take strong grabs - like Kosi.
But is much faster and quicker recovering.
If Kosi doesn't take the ball in the air he is out of the contest.
Stanley's quarter of football was more effective than Kosi's whole game imo.

We dont need to rush the kid. At all.

But sheesh he looks good.

When you have a 200+ cm ATHLETE who can get up off the ground as fast as he can, move as quick as he can, leap like he can....It is hard not to think he is gonna be a gun.

Should get more game time next week.

He is showing enough to be right on the cusp of senior selection in the early stages of season coming.

Definate and exciting prospect.
Agree.

I think a lot of kids will be wearing no. 28 on their jumpers... maybe even turning a 3 into an 8. :wink:

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:I think a lot of kids will be wearing no. 28 on their jumpers... maybe even turning a 3 into an 8. :wink:
My son regrets getting Charlie Gardiner to autograph his #28 now - lol

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

weve been looking for the mythical "mobile 3rd tall" forever. Jaryd Allen would have been that player - unfortunately struck down by injury. The Gehrig/Kosi/roo combo was a flop IMO - as Gehrig and Kosi werent great chasers or good at ground level. Stanley has show he can chase & tackle, the question is what is he like at ground level ?.

Will be hard for him to push his way in as KPP whilst Kosi & Roo are fit, however I think worth persisting with Stanley as 3rd tall option during NAB Cup - particulalry if we run into the Bulldogs in the NAB GF.

Personally I think he is a better option as 3rd tall rather than messing around with trying Sam Fisher and Gilbert. Goddard is too valuable as midfielder and coming out of defence with his precise kicking to leave as 3rd tall.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We can't afford to have Riewoldt as our only reliable tall forward in the next final series we get to and to keep doing it on his own against 2 or 3 defenders - at the business end of a long season with his chronic knee tendonitis.

So Rhys comes into the calculations - at 200cm and with his mobilty he has a good chance of taking some marks and helping out.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:We can't afford to have Riewoldt as our only reliable tall forward in the next final series we get to and to keep doing it on his own against 2 or 3 defenders - at the business end of a long season with his chronic knee tendonitis.
agree. ross has mentioned playing bj forward more often which would be one solution, but we weren't that convincing on the ball last night so we might not be able to afford that.

stanley might be another solution. let's see what happens.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

If he plays more than one good game every 8 weeks he's better than Kosi straight away....

Bring back the Lockett era
yipper
SS Life Member

There is no doubt he is an exciting young talent,probably the most exciting since -2001 with Kosi and Roo bursting onto the scene. But, he will be given plenty of time to develop properly, he will not be rushed at all.

I loved that he seemed to be getting plenty of advice from Roo last nite, where to run etc. This is great. Look out later in 2010 or certainly round 1 2011. He will be a star.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintkid
Club Player

jonesy wrote:If he plays more than one good game every 8 weeks he's better than Kosi straight away....
I agree.

saint tezza
Club Player

i think if we are going to start Dempster in attack as we have in the nab cup and did in the grand final last year then if you are asking who does Stanley replace well Dempster for one.

I know Dempster is often used as a defensive forward but I still think someone who offers an avenue in attack , is capable of taking a contested mark and puts on pressure (as witnessed by the good tackle that caused a turnover and a milne goal) maybe offers more than a Dempster when it comes to playing on the forward line.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Doctor Livingstone I presume.?

LennyBoy
Club Player

This kid has something speciallllllllll. I hope he can kick on and play a few games this year. He has a really clean set of hands and reads the game very very well!

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
markp wrote:I think a lot of kids will be wearing no. 28 on their jumpers... maybe even turning a 3 into an 8. :wink:
My son regrets getting Charlie Gardiner to autograph his #28 now - lol

lmao

yeah, we churn out some good footy players over here 8-)

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

saint tezza wrote:i think if we are going to start Dempster in attack as we have in the nab cup and did in the grand final last year then if you are asking who does Stanley replace well Dempster for one.
Here, here. Although I doubt they'd want to play Gardiner, King, Kosi and Stanley in the same side at one time, even though Rhys is very quick.
I think if Kosi missed a game and King and Gardi were available, I'd still play Big Mac as a key forward before Rhys for the moment. I don't think it will be too long before I'd pick Rhys, though, if he keeps progressing like this.
If he'd held on to the hanger he tried to take last night, he would have basically repeated his YouTube highlights video all in one quarter (big mark over a pack, chasing down and tackling someone much shorter than him and kicking a goal), which is a fair effort.
And if some at the club reckon he'll be in our best 3 in 2-3 years, as Luke Darcy suggested last night, that is brilliant news. He certainly looks the goods!

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Defensively in the forward line I love the way he waves his arms around, ala Fletcher making him look like a big spiderman figure. A small defender coming out with the ball and looking for an option would feel like a hobbit trying to get around or over him. He is the type who will cut a lot of ball off in mid air, won't be a stat but will be invaluable.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I've heard that sliced bread hopes to be the best thing since Rhys Stanley.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
agree. ross has mentioned playing bj forward more often which would be one solution, but we weren't that convincing on the ball last night so we might not be able to afford that.
Wouldn't the reason for our guys in the midfield being "unconvincing" last night have something to do with the fact that Lenny, Dal and Gram were all playing their first games of the year and only played something like half the game each?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Wouldn't the reason for our guys in the midfield being "unconvincing" last night have something to do with the fact that Lenny, Dal and Gram were all playing their first games of the year and only played something like half the game each?
i hope so.

we've still got to find a capable replacement for ball.

armitage will be okay, imo, but it will take him time to develop the consistency.