St kilda 10 x 6 days breaks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

St kilda 10 x 6 days breaks

We are very fortunate to have a new modern professional football department and high quality fitness and conditioning staff because the draw this year is challenging in terms of recovery times!

Here is a comparison between the clubs I rate as being in this years top 8!

Adelaide 9 x 6

Brisbane 2 x 6 :shock: 2 x 5

Carlton 7 x 6 1 x 5

Collingwood 7 x 6

Hawthorn 8 x 6

Geelong 7 x 6

Western Bulldogs 6 x 6

St Kilda 10 x 6

who did Michael Voss blow at the AFL?

Brisbane have an absolute dream FIXture

Once again we've been screwed over with recovery times having more than any of the clubs I could be bothered checking

The average is usually around 7

We will not win as many home and way games as last year, that is already guaranteed by the FIXture we have

In 2009 we had 6 x 6 day breaks, which was very helpful,

The Western Bulldogs have a 6 x 6 scenario this year

This year will be a lot tougher,

In 2009 15 wins = a top 4 position

I'm not expecting a stellar home and away season like 2009

Obviously the first goal aside from taking it one week at a time is to be in the top 4 after 22 and 15 wins should guarantee this!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

This is a challenge our fitness and conditioning staff will have to deal with!

We have been given the worst FIXture in relation to recovery times!

Thoughts!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

My thoughts are that you are bumping a thread nobody cares about 8-)

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Leo.J
SS Life Member

barks4eva wrote:This is a challenge our fitness and conditioning staff will have to deal with!

We have been given the worst FIXture in relation to recovery times!

Thoughts!
I noticed this also b4e...

From memory I got over it pretty quick because after further investigation I found that most of the 6 day breaks we have our opposition also have a 6 day break or less.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Well I reckon it's a bit of a worry: reminiscent of our struggles in 2006.

Rds 4, 5 and 6 will provide us with successive 6 day breaks, culminating in our playing the Dogs six days after an interstate trip to AAMI the week before. Rds 9, 10 and 11 present a similar problem: Rd 10 gives us a Saturday night game following a Sunday twilight game at Subi.

And then we get another serve of successive 6 day breaks leading up to the finals in Rds 20-22.

It's happened to other clubs in other years, but that doesn't make it right.

However, our guys are professionals, so they ought to be able to train for this sort of situation.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Mr X from the West
Club Player

Stiff. It's an uncontrollable. Let's just get on with it. No excuses.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Re: St kilda 10 x 6 days breaks

barks4eva wrote:We are very fortunate to have a new modern professional football department and high quality fitness and conditioning staff because the draw this year is challenging in terms of recovery times!

Here is a comparison between the clubs I rate as being in this years top 8!

Adelaide 9 x 6

Brisbane 2 x 6 :shock: 2 x 5

Carlton 7 x 6 1 x 5

Collingwood 7 x 6

Hawthorn 8 x 6

Geelong 7 x 6

Western Bulldogs 6 x 6

St Kilda 10 x 6

who did Michael Voss blow at the AFL?

Brisbane have an absolute dream FIXture

Once again we've been screwed over with recovery times having more than any of the clubs I could be bothered checking

The average is usually around 7

We will not win as many home and way games as last year, that is already guaranteed by the FIXture we have

In 2009 we had 6 x 6 day breaks, which was very helpful,

The Western Bulldogs have a 6 x 6 scenario this year

This year will be a lot tougher,

In 2009 15 wins = a top 4 position

I'm not expecting a stellar home and away season like 2009

Obviously the first goal aside from taking it one week at a time is to be in the top 4 after 22 and 15 wins should guarantee this!
If you think about it though, you can't have your cake and eat it too because we have so many friday night matches, which are the blockbuster ratings matches of the year, we will have several six days breaks, it can't be helped. I would rather have the friday night matches with maximum exposure for our club. We should be professional enough to be able to cope with 6 day breaks. Get over it!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

at least it's consistent therefore a plan can be set in stone.

I don't really care for preseason excuse making.

Actions not words, right?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
battye
Saintsational Legend

How many Friday night matches do we have?

Presumably the number of 6 day breaks will be offset by the number of 8 or 9 day breaks.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
linz
Club Player

More warm-downs & more warm-ups & 1 less hard training session on 6 day breaks maybe. I don't know but our training staff do.

We'll be right. The training staff will do their job.

The players are paid & trained to adapt to whatever is dished up.

Fed up with excuses for possible future failure to be honest. I've heard enough of that krap for the last 40 years.

Bring it on.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

I'm in no way posting this as any form of excuse, so perhaps this has been misinterpreted,

just creating awareness regarding recovery times and the card we've been dealt!

Brisbane have only two x six day breaks and two x five day breaks which is quite extraordinary!

Anyway we are very fortunate to have the current professional football department and fitness and conditioning staff to manage the difficulties that this presents!

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Here's some stats regarding the FIXture.

9 x 6 days break from my calculations...possibly 10 depending on the finalising of rd22.

On 4 occasions our opposition have an extra days break when we have a 6 day break.

On 1 occasion we get an extra days break when playing a team that is coming of a 6 day break.

On 9 occasion we have less recovery than our opponents...out of these games on 5 occasions we have at least 7 days recovery.

On 6 occasions we have more recovery than our opponents, as mentioned above in only 1 of these games does our opponent come off a 6 day break.

On five occasions we have the same amount of recovery as our opponents.

Some other non recovery stats regarding the FIXture.

On 12 occasions we play a club than finished outside of the 2009 top 8.

We play interstate 6 times.

We play the Cats, the Hawks, the Eagles, the Dogs, the Dees, the Blues, and the Swans only once...

PJ
SS Life Member

culminating in our playing the Dogs six days after an interstate trip to AAMI the week before.
FFS How precious can you get, it's an hour away guys if we can't cope with that we're in big trouble.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saint24601
Club Player

has anyone ever done some proper research on past fixtures to determine whether having less break than the opposition means you are less likley to win?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
culminating in our playing the Dogs six days after an interstate trip to AAMI the week before.
FFS How precious can you get, it's an hour away guys if we can't cope with that we're in big trouble.
I'm with you, I don't get it either

But I have seen too many instances of Vic-based teams struggling to beat even the poorest teams after a trip out of town six days before.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

saint24601 wrote:has anyone ever done some proper research on past fixtures to determine whether having less break than the opposition means you are less likley to win?
Yes

There is no statistically significant effect in having a shorter break than the opposition.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote: Brisbane have only two x six day breaks and two x five day breaks which is quite extraordinary!
Rubbish barks.

Brisbane play hardly any Friday night games due to the TV rights/clash with NRL issue.

Friday night games cause 6 day breaks - remove them and you remove many 6 day break possibilities.

Has been like that for years for the Bears.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

If the six day break wasn't a factor why did RL mention it on more than one occassion last year. And you'd have to be a d**khead to think flying interstate doesn't effect your preparation. One of the hidden reasons for our inter-city pre-season visits was to drill the flying routine.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Of course it's not ideal, but I am sure the wins last year on practically every ground, and sometimes without the recovery time that the club would of preferred, lifted the confidence of the playing group.

If you had a choice of our fixture, or maybe something considerably softer, I'd actually opt for the more challenging of the two.

There is a team that consitently has a better draw than most, travels less than most, has better recovery times, yet seems to arrive at the finals without the benefit of being battle hardened.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:How many Friday night matches do we have?

Presumably the number of 6 day breaks will be offset by the number of 8 or 9 day breaks.
six:
round 3 against port, with the following week playing on a sunday
round 6 against dogs, with the following week playing on a monday
round 11 against the tigers, with the following week playing on a sunday
round 13 against the cats, with the following week playing on a sunday
round 17 against the hawks, with the following week playing on a friday
round 18 against the bombers, with the following week playing on a sunday

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Hey, we have killed one interstate trip this year. Left it to the Pies.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:If the six day break wasn't a factor why did RL mention it on more than one occassion last year. And you'd have to be a d**khead to think flying interstate doesn't effect your preparation. One of the hidden reasons for our inter-city pre-season visits was to drill the flying routine.
Exactly!

It's an issue, probably not to most on here who have no idea what demands this places on the human body and the subtleties of how long it takes to FULLY recover from a game of AFL football!

We are now fortunate to have a very professional football department with elite fitness and conditioning staff to help overcome this obstacle, which I have no doubt we will, but it does not escape the fact that this presents a massive challenge!

Anyone who thinks we are going to breeze through this year with a 20-2 type result is delusional!

St kilda have been dealt the worst fixture with recovery times and while I'm in no way making excuses, this is a factor which should be taken into consideration!

As evidenced by some of the vacuous responses in this thread it shows how little some of you know about football!

8-)

GrumpyOne

barks4eva wrote:
millarsaint wrote:If the six day break wasn't a factor why did RL mention it on more than one occassion last year. And you'd have to be a d**khead to think flying interstate doesn't effect your preparation. One of the hidden reasons for our inter-city pre-season visits was to drill the flying routine.
Exactly!

It's an issue, probably not to most on here who have no idea what demands this places on the human body and the subtleties of how long it takes to FULLY recover from a game of AFL football!
And that's just the strain on the spectators!!!!!!

PJ
SS Life Member

I don't think anyone has said it won't have an effect on the players just that every club has to deal with travel, we're no different - whining about it gets you no where. We have to have a go anywhere play anytime attitude - and seriously we are that good.

You gotta love the einsteins coming on here telling everyone they no nothing about football. If I was that ignorant I wouldn't be on here professing and demonstrating my stupidity.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
linz
Club Player

I do enjoy watching footy and have so for over 40 years even though I evidently don't know much about it.

Perhaps I don't take it seriously enough. We should all be serious.

:cry: :cry:

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.