Was St Kilda Right to sack Lovett??? Vote NOW

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Was St Kilda Right to sack Lovett??? Vote NOW

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 5830680065

So far....

81.15% YES
19.85% NO

Total votes so far 10,840

Make your selection and click on the blue bar.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

How can 2000 people be against what we did. i want their names now. As I suspected some people think we did the wrong thing. Typical.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:How can 2000 people be against what we did. i want their names now. As I suspected some people think we did the wrong thing. Typical.
Read the comments in Mike Sheahan's masterpiece, or some of the Facebook comments? There are some very dim individuals out there.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:How can 2000 people be against what we did. i want their names now. As I suspected some people think we did the wrong thing. Typical.
Read the comments in Mike Sheahan's masterpiece, or some of the Facebook comments? There are some very dim individuals out there.
Well they are reading the Sheahan article above it. The same article that insinuates that a criminal case can be 'settled'.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Well they are reading the Sheahan article above it. The same article that insinuates that a criminal case can be 'settled'.
:roll: I rest my case, your honour.

Saint_in_SA
Club Player

In the presser, Ross mentioned that the incident had not damaged the club reputation, however Lovett was sacked for bringing the club in to disrepute.

Note the legal advisor then quickly mentioned that he had feedback from stakeholders that the clubs reputation had been damaged, hence justifying the decision to sack him.

Hopefully Ross will be briefed appropriately in future before having to answer questions on behalf of the club in general as opposed to the playing group.

Having said that, I believe the correct call was made to sack him, just as I believe that the decision to take him on at that moment was correct given the information at hand. People could perhaps foresee some random partying from Lovett (duh, he is a bloke afterall) but nobody would have foreseen what has occurred.. Let's hope that the great Irish hope can live up to the hype, as he was no doubt part of the decision to take such a risk given that he was seen as a 'free' first round pick anyway.

A-HUH A-HUH A-HUH
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

some people like to sink the boot into the Saints regardless of what we do ... we could find the cure for cancer and be shot down for effecting over population from some people

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

The club needs to come out and say what the other breaches Andrew made were or else this wont go away quickly. We need to move on from this quickly.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
One of the individuals in those Facebook comments has been reported to the page admin at the Club for abuse by at least 3 different people that I know about

God..this place is Heaven compared to some of the brain dead tools who purport to follow St Kilda and post on Facebook

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
St Loxton
Club Player

Yes they are right, and im glad we did! Time to look forward everyone

Hunter Clark 2024 StKilda Saints Premiership captain.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

ST Loxton if we look forward we wont be able to see you.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Latest

80.12% Yes

19.88% No

Total votes 11,406

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
degruch wrote:
One of the individuals in those Facebook comments has been reported to the page admin at the Club for abuse by at least 3 different people that I know about

God..this place is Heaven compared to some of the brain dead tools who purport to follow St Kilda and post on Facebook
honestly i question if half the people on theire are actually saints fans or just like stiring crap

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
saint66au wrote:
degruch wrote:

honestly i question if half the people on theire are actually saints fans or just like stiring crap
exactly.

They are probably demented Carlscum fans who need a decent brain job!

St Loxton
Club Player

Goose is king wrote:ST Loxton if we look forward we wont be able to see you.
lol Goose. cant believe how long i took to get it. :wink:

Hunter Clark 2024 StKilda Saints Premiership captain.
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Probably carlton fans. They are miserable they won't make the finals this year. Fevola is gone and tubby Stevens head fell off, they are left with Bryce Squibbs and chrome domus has beenus juddus.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Personally, just looking at the football side of things and nothing else, i would love to have seen the guy play for us...if for no other reason than he seemed to burn us every time we play essendon. he virtually won the game v Collingwood in '09.

Unfortunately, it'll always be one of those "what if"s like what if the Krakouer bros Jimmy and Phil had gone to the 'Pies in '82 (Hafey wanted them) or Bartleet had gone to Collingwood in '80 (Hafey talked him out of it...can you believe that?) or Plugger had gone there after '94 (the committee voted against it...can you believe that?)...?

Sorry about the Collingwood theme, guys.

Wayne carey was absolutely burning at the start of '02. What if he'd played? We might have been spared another unbearable lions flag.

Journalists may praise us for a "moral stance" and all that (I can't believe Carro actually backed it!) and I'm sure that's part of it. But the football department has obviously made the calculations: can we win a flag without lovett? yes.
would it affect the club and the 'brand' if he was still part of the club during a long drawn out court case? yes.
even if the charges are dropped and he somehow plays again soon for another club can we still win the flag? yes.

Lyon is ruthless and doesn't deal in sentiment or sympathy. that's how it must be. Plus this is a real wake up call for any player who's likely to put himself into this sort of risky situation in future.

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:The club needs to come out and say what the other breaches Andrew made were or else this wont go away quickly. We need to move on from this quickly.
Spot on. I think it will come out in time. Just hope it doesn't distract the players. I'm sure it won't because we are a professional unit now.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Why? So the entire world can paw through the intricacies of a player contract to establish whether or not behaviours a, b and c constituted breaches of clauses x, y and z?

Why is it important?

It's not important at all.

Rules are rules, breaking them is breaking them and disrepute is disrepute.

To be honest, from a personal POV the less I know about what a debacle this whole thing has been, the better.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

i know you're being sarcastic here.

i think we did the wrong thing legally and morally, and it might cost us a couple of million dollars, because lovett didn't get due process.

however, for the culture of the side, we did the right thing - and two million's a small price to pay for a unified side which leads to flags.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda CEO Michael Nettlefold said the sacking was unrelated to the rape charge, but that Lovett's behaviour in the off-season was unacceptable and had brought the club into disrepute.

“During Andrew’s short tenure with the club, on a number of occasions he engaged in actions that were failures to comply with our standards of expected behavioral conduct," he said.

"These failures related to his training commitments and a failure to contact Club Officials in a situation where he should have done so.

“We simply could not ignore such breaches. Nor could we ignore the damage being done to St Kilda’s reputation and decided unanimously as a club to terminate Andrew Lovett’s employment with the Saints."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 5830680065

chook23
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
i know you're being sarcastic here.

i think we did the wrong thing legally and morally, and it might cost us a couple of million dollars, because lovett didn't get due process.

however, for the culture of the side, we did the right thing - and two million's a small price to pay for a unified side which leads to flags.
2 mill a small price!!!!

saint4life
matrix
Saintsational Legend

i think the right thing was done
it seems he was sacked due to not doing what he was asked.

and after the birthday thing that happened you would think you would be on best behavior trying to impress for selection.

obviously not
so seeing as he didnt want to do as he was asked (after an incident already) he obviously had no respect for his club

so the club obviously feels the same
no respect shown...none given.

sucked in

bozza1980
Club Player

At the end of the day every one saying he is innocent until proven guilty are right and this right will afforded him when his case hits the courts.

That said he is guilty of bringing our club and the game into disrepute, if anyone can tell me how a St Kilda player answering rape charges in a court of law does not bring the club into disprepute I'm all ears.

Bringing the game into dispreute is a sackable offence, end of story, do not pass go, do not collect $2mil, just bugger off.

As for being pre-judicial to his trial, this is just be simplistic. The constant media attention is more pre-judicial than our decision and a juror who wants to convict based on his sacking from the club, if i can be blunt, is an oxygen thief.

He is guilt or innocence regarding the charge brought by the courts has no bearing on his guilt when it comes to bringing the club into disrepute, end of story.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Saint_in_SA wrote:In the presser, Ross mentioned that the incident had not damaged the club reputation, however Lovett was sacked for bringing the club in to disrepute.

Note the legal advisor then quickly mentioned that he had feedback from stakeholders that the clubs reputation had been damaged, hence justifying the decision to sack him.

Hopefully Ross will be briefed appropriately in future before having to answer questions on behalf of the club in general as opposed to the playing group.

Having said that, I believe the correct call was made to sack him, just as I believe that the decision to take him on at that moment was correct given the information at hand. People could perhaps foresee some random partying from Lovett (duh, he is a bloke afterall) but nobody would have foreseen what has occurred.. Let's hope that the great Irish hope can live up to the hype, as he was no doubt part of the decision to take such a risk given that he was seen as a 'free' first round pick anyway.
Ross was no doubt speaking about the playing group's reputation.

When you think about it this whole episode could actually enhance the club's reputation by showing the world we have the guts to sack a player for not upholding team values.

I think the club will emerge stronger after this is all over.