Who do we promote?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

doppler effect
Club Player

Who do we promote?

Now that Lovett is gone I assume that we can promote a rookie to the senior list?...

Which Rookie should get elevated?

Batnoe

None unless they will get a game that week

No need to promote a rookie until we need their services, but should make it interesting as players will realise there is a spare spot there and will work hard to get it

goodie
Club Player

I'm not sure if we'll be able to.

bozza1980
Club Player

goodie wrote:I'm not sure if we'll be able to.
Good point.

I'm not sure but I think the AFL will allow us to in these particular circumstances, but I don't think it's a given if you sack a player that you can replace him.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think they will be able to...but they only will if neccessary...perhaps Leigh Fisher?

lefty
Club Player

SainterK wrote:I think they will be able to...but they only will if neccessary...perhaps Leigh Fisher?
I'd be fine with L.Fisher, solid body, could be back since we have really no reserve/backup solid bodies if Zac or S.Fisher goes down.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:
SainterK wrote:I think they will be able to...but they only will if neccessary...perhaps Leigh Fisher?
I'd be fine with L.Fisher, solid body, could be back since we have really no reserve/backup solid bodies if Zac or S.Fisher goes down.
I wouldn't

L Fisher is a hack.

Lucky to be a rookie, perhaps only on the list to pay out his contract.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

If we were going to promote somebody, my money would be on Simpkin. Chances are we won't eleavate anybody though. We already had a spot for a nominated rookie, like we did last year when no one was nominated. There's a fair chance we won't nominate anyone this year either, let alone fill the space left by Lovett. None of our rookies are likely to get a game in 2010.

OTOH, if Lovett's salary disappears from the salary cap, we probably have the space to nominate somebody and elevate someone for Lovett (if we're allowed to) without any extra cost to the club.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Under the current rules I don't think we can actually promote anyone.
I understand that the only way a rookie can be promoted (other than some new rule that applies to all Clubs in teh second half of the season) is as a 'long term injury replacement'.
'Sacking' does not fall under that definition.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:Under the current rules I don't think we can actually promote anyone.
I don't think it's clear either way. After Capuano, the AFL made it so players couldn't be sacked midseason. We're in untested territory, at least under the current rules. The Saints may well try and get another player added to their list (Kallen Geary, maybe?). It will be up to the AFL to decide if we can if we do choose to go that way.

Personally, I don't think it matters. We're unlikely to use a replacement player anyway and nobody on the rookie list is on the verge of selection anyway. Even if they were, we do have a nominated rookie spot we could use.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who do we promote?

doppler effect wrote:Now that Lovett is gone I assume that we can promote a rookie to the senior list?...

I do not think that is correct
doppler effect wrote:
Even if it was correct no one would be promoted unless they were ready to be selected in the first 22.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who do we promote?

saintsRrising wrote:
doppler effect wrote:Now that Lovett is gone I assume that we can promote a rookie to the senior list?...

I do not think that is correct
doppler effect wrote:
Even if it was correct no one would be promoted unless they were ready to be selected in the first 22.
100% right in both aspects unless the AFL give us special dispensation.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i dont think we will be allowed to elevate a rookie ... and in all honesty i dont think it matters much our rookies are all project players still a while away from AFL ,ones retired, and one is unwanted but kept to satify a contract obligation

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

lefty wrote:
Agree with both of you - I would be more than happy if they promoted Leigh Fisher (or Hutchings)... :shock:

Don't know whether they will be allowed to promote anyone yet though

No Contract, No contact :shock:
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Not sure that we should be in any big hurry to promote anyone just yet. I would hope that the club explores any possible dispensation with the AFL as a matter of urgency !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
lefty wrote:
Agree with both of you - I would be more than happy if they promoted Leigh Fisher (or Hutchings)... :shock:

Leigh fisher has finnished with the club the only reason he is on our rookie list is because we have a contract obligation to him

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
lefty wrote:

Leigh fisher has finnished with the club the only reason he is on our rookie list is because we have a contract obligation to him
Oh, I didn't know sorry. I just assumed that given he was still around, partcipating, he must be keeping himself in shape to further his career elsewhere then?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If anyone was to be promoted at this stage I would imagine Mark Hutchings would be in with a show.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
lefty wrote:

Well he's training, played in the Intraclub, and was interviewed by the media about the Saints pre-season a while ago....
He has just been named in the squad for Friday nights NAB cup

Might be wrong, but I don't think Fisher is finished with the footy club yet :shock:

Allen is on the list for contractual reasons, and no-one has mentioned him at training

No Contract, No contact :shock: