Andrew Lovett Sacked!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintlee
Club Player

Club made the right decision.

Lovett has no-one to blame but himself.

Time to move on.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Negative feedback from stakeholders.

Fair enough.

It is most definately a shame. He had every opportunity.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. He was a gamble.

Still, what has happened is NOT the club's fault.

We can elevate a rookie at some stage.

We have some decent rookies.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
battye
Saintsational Legend

Confirmed by the club:

Statement from the club: http://ow.ly/17Ki0

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Essendon, who referred him so glowingly, are a pompous pack of disingenuous fat cats who I look forward to dismembering when we play them next.

Buyer beware, I know. But I can't help but wonder whether all that we should have known was made clear.

All history now.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Essendon, who referred him so glowingly, are a pompous pack of disingenuous fat cats who I look forward to dismembering when we play them next.

Buyer beware, I know. But I can't help but wonder whether all that we should have known was made clear.

All history now.
How can you possibly blame them. Some people just look for excuses.

saintlee
Club Player

Thinline wrote:Essendon, who referred him so glowingly, are a pompous pack of disingenuous fat cats who I look forward to dismembering when we play them next.

All history now.
Not Essendon's fault.

Lovett is the only one to blame here

Mooksy
Club Player

Good riddance to absolute scum.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

All history now.
Buyer beware, I know... Buyer beware, I know... Buyer beware, I know.

I can't help but wonder...I can't help but wonder...I can't help but wonder...

You obviously missed the references in the original post.

Thought I'd help you out, you self important bore.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Very shabby episode all round.

I hope the young woman is ok. Not many people allege sexual assault and come out of it without scars. Really hope it works out well for her.

As for sacking the accused. Well good work club. It is the least you could do.

The accused never played for the Saints, never pulled on the jersey (thank god) and never palyed a game for us.

Just pretend No 16 is in the reserves for two to three years and we may see him in 2013 or 4.

Just forget about the accused and lets look forward to football and the Saints winning.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
StNoodles
Club Player

Have been very happy with the way the club handled this from the get go.

shmic_s
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

All history now.

Not like Essendon going to say 'he's going to assult someone'. They don't have a crystal ball. St Kilda knew the risks.
He's a gun. Would've been a massive plus to have him on the ground.
We gambled and lost.

Like getting on a hot tip in a horse race. They don't place. You don't blame the messenger. Bad luck, you lost the bet. Move on.
Last edited by shmic_s on Tue 16 Feb 2010 3:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

I think the club has handled it beautifully from the start. Well done to the board and management for showing such strength.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

I blame Grant Thomas for this whole mess!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

This was always going to be the end result - the club couldn't act before charges were laid because of do-gooders getting on thier high horse and running the "innocent till proven guilty line", but has now acted swiftly with the only course of action that could have happened.

If your employee - in this case, Ross Lyon - give you a direct instruction (showing the senior list the front page of the HS with carlton players after their booze cruise, and saying "dont let this happen to you") and you disobey/ignore/spit in the face of this instruction (later that same night, it must be said), then every employer in the country has the right to sack that employee.

It's unfortunate that it's played out this way, but I applaude the club for it's strong action.

older saint
SS Life Member

Congrats to the club on the handling on this matter from the start. No knee jerk reactions, no bowing to public pressure, well thought out and considered action obviously based on legal opinion and advice.

The recruitment was arisk worth taking and no one not RL, not HIRD or LLOYD not ESSENDON not DRAIN , no one except Andrew Lovett is to blame for where this has ended up!

saintlee
Club Player

"St Kilda Football Club today confirms the termination of the employment of recent recruit Andrew Lovett, effective immediately.

During Andrew’s short period of employment with St Kilda, he engaged in a series of acts and omissions in breach of his employment contract, entitling the Club to regard his employment as at an end.

The St Kilda Football Club has relied on specific clauses within Andrew Lovett’s Standard Playing Contract and the AFL Players Code of Conduct, to permit termination of contract for breach of such clauses.

Following Andrew’s previous arrest in November 2009, a recent Victoria Police investigation and the subsequent rape charge brought against Andrew, the Club formed the view that Andrew’s conduct had brought the Saints into disrepute under his Standard Playing Contract, which entitled the Club to terminate his employment.

The Club would like to emphasise that all people charged with a criminal offence are entitled to the presumption of innocence. The Saints’ decision is not based on whether or not Andrew Lovett is innocent or guilty of the charge. That was not part of the Club’s decision making process and is for the Court to decide."

Full Club Statement:
http://www.saints.com.au/season2009/new ... fault.aspx

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Thinline wrote:Essendon, who referred him so glowingly..........

All history now.
Maybe Essendon did hold something back....but how many more warning sirens do you need ?

Lovett had off field issues..... He had been suspended twice by his club, apparently had a minder this year and weekly meetings with the coach just to keep him on track. He walked out on his club last year

This guy is 27 yet played only about 80 games
Presented himself in poor condition fitness wise.

Inconsistant, outside type IMO - yes he's quick and a good finisher - provided you get the ball out to him 20 m clear

Cost pick 16 and they were going to pay him $1m over 3 years :shock:

No Contract, No contact :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

All history now.

I suppose being a bore is better than being a person who cant except things and always looks for excuses. Anyway carry on looking. You will always find one.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Congrats to the club on the handling on this matter from the start. No knee jerk reactions, no bowing to public pressure, well thought out and considered action obviously based on legal opinion and advice.

The recruitment was arisk worth taking and no one not RL, not HIRD or LLOYD not ESSENDON not DRAIN , no one except Andrew Lovett is to blame for where this has ended up!
The club has been unlucky. While Lovett had plenty of history the Saints did their checks and thought he was worth the risk.

In reality, most players with a troubled past pull their heads in when their club decides to offload them and they're basically on their last chance.

I could have foreseen Lovett transgressing again down the track - maybe in 2011 having a drink and missing a training session. But not this!

Far from pulling his head in he has actually taken it up a notch whilst at a critical stage of his career. I don't believe anyone at St Kilda, or Essendon for that matter, could have foreseen what has actually (allegedly) happened.

Yes, just unlucky I reckon. :(

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Any info on the financial situation. Do we have to pay him out or as he's breached his contract are the terms of that contract null and void?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

All history now.

I suppose being a bore is better than being a person who cant except things and always looks for excuses. Anyway carry on looking. You will always find one.
Tops retort, Plugger. Really put me in my place. Well done.

'Except' for Rodger Fox, I can think of no other with such wit and nous.

So by process of deduction I assume you think Essendon didn't patch over a few holes on AL's CV?

How's life in la la land Plug?

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

It was a big risk that became an epic fail. But, the club know full well what a disaster this has been and I don't expect that Lyon and co. should be made to walk over hot coals, then get on their knees and beg for forgiveness to the members, because it wont make me feel any better about this mess.

It was risk, it didn't work and we have nothing to show for, but the club has no choice but to move on and us as supporters must do the same. I believe that this will only be a hurdle in our quest for a premiership if we let be one.

Bad management is bad management
markp
Saintsational Legend

Obviously with all information available at the time it was deemed a reasonable risk... just as plainly in hindsight it's a f*k up.

But hindsight is always 20/20, and only one person is culpable here.

At least he was never really a Saint... never played so much as a practice match, never cheered onto the ground, never ran through a banner, never laid a tackle, took a bump, or kicked a goal and shared the elation of a victory with our players and our club.

suss
Club Player

st.byron wrote:Any info on the financial situation. Do we have to pay him out or as he's breached his contract are the terms of that contract null and void?
I would suggest that terminated means at an end, as of now. Payments made up to this point would stand but no further payments would be made.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:I blame Grant Thomas for this whole mess!
That's just absurd. Ludicrous.

James Hird gave Andrew Lovett a gloring reference and in fact, specifically mentioned that Lovett was very good at hitouts to advantage in a third man up situation.

Therefore, GT would've hated him.

Anyway, Andrew Lovett is gone. Move on.

:wink:

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.