Dal and BJ to go forward (Herald sun)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Badlands
Club Player

Dal and BJ to go forward (Herald sun)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/b ... 5822734887

I know this was link posted at the end of an existing thread. But thought it worthy of its own discussion.

Interestingly, when talking about players to 'step up' in 2010, Ross in nominating Geary, Armo and McEvoy, commented that Armitage 'has a big tank'. I thought it was well documented (at least on this forum...the word of the gospel no?) that the biggest concern over Armo was his inability to run out a game. I know his brother (i think?) has posted that he has improved a heap in this area.

Hopefully now we can at least we can put the off-season setbacks and last year's heartbreak behind us and start focusing on the positives going forward.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
saintnick12
Club Player

Have cut and pasted my reply from the other thread as posted in there before realizing this now had its own thread:
Great articles!!! Very impressive by Ross. He has improved so much over the past year or two in his dealings with the media. The articles were interesting and informative, without giving too much away, especially about things he can't legally talk about. He was never going to give too much away about the Lovett situation. He was firm and respectful, but at the same time not prepared to say anything and gave his reasons. Did confirm he remains suspended until the conclusion of the police investigations.

Also interesting opinions on the Grandfinal, Milne, the Luke Ball situation, and players who have improved and had good preseasons, and possible options for players in other positions (eg Goddard and Dal forward). I have always wanted to see Goddard played more forward. Great to hear that Nick Riewoldt is in full training after two minimal preseasons. He also nominated the same players most of us have nominated as ones to step up this year and challenge for spots - Armitage, Geary and McEVoy.

I'm very glad this guy is our coach - hopefully permiership coach 2010. Can't wait for the season to start.....

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

"Brendon Goddard will spend more time forward and Dal Santo (too)," Lyon said.

"We are really keen to become more flexible; Adam Schneider can go through midfield, Andrew McQualter can, Geelong has Joel Corey on a back flank and Dal Santo can do that and we can push Dal out of the goalsquare a bit more.

"Probably Kosi a little more (in the) ruck even though he likes playing forward. And those players who really improved last year, they are coming into their best footy in the next two or three years - Goddard, Gram, Dal Santo, Montagna, Jones, Gilbert, Dawson.
good. this is a positive move in the right direction. we still need to win on the ball, of course, but ross would be well aware of that.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The same article also stated about Dal playing across half back...as well as up forward.

It would seem to me that what Lyon was talking about was about ALL players being more versatile and swapping around more.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

If you read what he said carefully, it's more like "everyone can potentially play everywhere". Ross is v good at saying quite a lot without providing any real info.

The only really definite thing I read in it was that they were thinking of using Kosi a bit more in the ruck.

BTW, FWIW I think the idea of using BJ regularly as a "third forward" sucks big time and has always done so: to me, it would rank with using Riewoldt as a CHB. That is: yes, they could probably play that role better than many others, but is that the role in which they are going to be of the most benefit to our team? No.

But lots on here seem to be wedded to the idea of BJ up front. Which is ok by me: I enjoy debate about these things.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Milton66
SS Life Member

BJ is a play maker and sets up play better than anyone in our team... if not the AFL.

Sure, rotate him fwd to provide more versatility, but not permanent... and from what was writtem, I don't hink anyone has stated that he'd be a permanent fwd.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

I think Ross is subscribing to the Malcolm Blight philosophy of complete flexibility of the side. When he talks of Dal forward and back, Kosi in the ruck and BJ 3rd forward, he's not talking permanent or even for a whole game. Sam Fisher kicked 3 goals in the 1st q against the Bummers and BJ 4 in the 1st against WCE.

Blight one day moved his players every 10 minutes clockwise around the ground from position to position. It was an experiment, but it is close to the filth's game plan and they finished 4th with a crap squad.

He was hardly in the position last year where he had a need to move players to win a game.

saintnick12
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:BJ is a play maker and sets up play better than anyone in our team... if not the AFL.

Sure, rotate him fwd to provide more versatility, but not permanent... and from what was writtem, I don't hink anyone has stated that he'd be a permanent fwd.
Agreed, thats how I read it. Certainly not as a permanent thing, but perhaps trying out more options and making the team generally more versatile. With his examples of Goddard, Dal and Kosi, we can perhaps expect to see them moved around a bit, as we work towards having more options come finals time next year. The abilitiy to throw BJ forward to have an impact would be fantastic, as long as we can cover him in the mid/back for that period. It might be a game we are behind and need some stimulus and that might be just the change we need to spark things.
Last edited by saintnick12 on Sat 23 Jan 2010 10:45am, edited 2 times in total.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
PJ
SS Life Member

but it is close to the filth's game plan and they finished 4th with a crap squad.
Trying to create mismatches is not new but ultimately you've got to get the ball from stoppages. I think this is where Ross's line about needing midfielders comes in. Armitage will definately get a gig here next year but hopefully so will Steven & Geary. Ben will also be crucial around the packs - I think it's his time but I'd like to see King give him a run for his money.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

'BJ and Dal to play forward' may well be to season 2010 what 'Gilbert to play forward was to 2009'.

Something for the other Clubs to take note of, rather than a 'serious option' we are actually intending to use?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:'BJ and Dal to play forward' may well be to season 2010 what 'Gilbert to play forward was to 2009'.

Something for the other Clubs to take note of, rather than a 'serious option' we are actually intending to use?
I think you have got it in one. Bj will go forward very occasionally, Dal will go forward as often as Zac.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Milton66 wrote:BJ is a play maker and sets up play better than anyone in our team... if not the AFL.

Agreed. BJ will always do his bit, no matter where you put him and he has proven, at times, to be quite a formidable option up forward, but it is certainly not his best position.

Same as Dal. Lovely kick at goal but is at his best in the middle.

Bad management is bad management
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote:

BTW, FWIW I think the idea of using BJ regularly as a "third forward" sucks big time and has always done so: to me, it would rank with using Riewoldt as a CHB. That is: yes, they could probably play that role better than many others, but is that the role in which they are going to be of the most benefit to our team? No.

But lots on here seem to be wedded to the idea of BJ up front. Which is ok by me: I enjoy debate about these things.
Wondering what you'd put against it MB?

On one hand, I wouldn't want to see it done as a permanent type job, mainly because a medium forward position is one of - if not the - hardest place to get the ball and Goddard's disposal is as good as anyone's.

However, it's also a position with the potential to swing games, and one that hasn't done so for St Kilda since Hammill's injury's overcame him.

As the midfield goes, I look at a number of them (Dal, Joey, Goddard) and they're guys who've had trouble shedding tags at one time or another - the flexibility to play them everywhere may help. Can't hurt to be trying to give guys like Ray and McQualter more of a chance to build their experience in the middle either.

Most of all, I think one of the greatest - and generally unacknowledged - strengths of St Kilda, Geelong and the Dogs last year was where obviously certain guys (Fisher, Goddard) are going to get more playmaking kudos than others, every player in our backline at times took it upon themselves to be the playmaker. Spreading that load further makes it even harder to do matchups.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
spert
Saintsational Legend

I's pretty obvious after season 09, that our forward line doesn't get enought goals, so we need a bit more talent down there. I've always thought NDS would be better deep in the forward line as I dont reckon he has the four-quarter motor for the centreline. BJ is a natural for the half forward line. Could be a real plus in 2010

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I's pretty obvious after season 09, that our forward line doesn't get enought goals, so we need a bit more talent down there. I've always thought NDS would be better deep in the forward line as I dont reckon he has the four-quarter motor for the centreline. BJ is a natural for the half forward line. Could be a real plus in 2010
yes, IF we can spare one or the other on the ball.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I also doubt Ross would be telling the media our actual game plans. In reality maybe it is Raph and another to go forward.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I also doubt Ross would be telling the media our actual game plans. In reality maybe it is Raph and another to go forward.
well he might come into his own relieved of the pressures of being a close-checking defender. he's surprisingly good overhead.

as others have pointed out, we most likely won't know what the plans are until round 1.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I's pretty obvious after season 09, that our forward line doesn't get enought goals, so we need a bit more talent down there. I've always thought NDS would be better deep in the forward line as I dont reckon he has the four-quarter motor for the centreline. BJ is a natural for the half forward line. Could be a real plus in 2010
I thought we did very well in the goal department in 09, sure there is always room for improvement, but we have one of the more formiddable forward lines in the comp.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am hoping they intend trying out a few of the boys in different roles.

Milton66
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
I thought we did very well in the goal department in 09, sure there is always room for improvement, but we have one of the more formiddable forward lines in the comp.
We did great, but I reckon our scores dropped off later in the year as more teams countered our plan.

Which is why you need to constantly evolve and try new things.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
We did great, but I reckon our scores dropped off later in the year as more teams countered our plan.

Sure, I just thought the effort last year was pretty amazing, and I wanted to highlight it.

Milton66
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Sure, I just thought the effort last year was pretty amazing, and I wanted to highlight it.
It was. But it became unravelled in the last quarter. Gee we really need a 3rd fwd who is accountable in that he cannot be left alone, or he could turn a match. Dare I say it, a Chapman type.

It's like Ross said about the mids... you need more options. Same up forward. Milne is a crumber, and not the answer.

Someone around 190cm. Hence why I asked about Raph and Jimmy G.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

It was. But it became unravelled in the last quarter. Gee we really need a 3rd fwd who is accountable in that he cannot be left alone, or he could turn a match. Dare I say it, a Chapman type.

It's like Ross said about the mids... you need more options. Same up forward. Milne is a crumber, and not the answer.

Go Jimmy 8-)

Milton66
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Go Jimmy 8-)
lol... nothing like the G to get you started. :lol:

U going tomorrow?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Go Jimmy 8-)
lol... nothing like the G to get you started. :lol:

U going tomorrow?
Probably not, I went last week. It's a great opportunity for people to go that normally can't though, great effort by the club.