Training Tuesday Jan 19th 10am

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:...pity the surrounds never received the same treatment...
Training in Dubai?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:Can someone tell me who's in the second pic from the top, I only recognise Tommy Walsh, and Tom Lynch....is that Nick Heyne in there somewhere too?
extreme right - looks like Hutchings

next to him - Archer

4th from right - Winmar
Last edited by chook23 on Tue 19 Jan 2010 2:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
matrix
Saintsational Legend

thanks for the updates and photos
and the birfeeday wishes :P

go saints

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Any comments about the training St.Fid?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Training report from today.... Traveled in all the way from the north west to capitalize on my remaining week of holidays.

As suggested previously - Open training sessions are not where the main drills and hard core football training happens. But it was a good watch.

Players drifted out from about 10.10am. All did a lap eventually and then stretched as a group.

They then broke up into three distinct groups. A midfield group, a forward group and a youth group.

Backline Group
Players from the backline were pretty much non-existent...Even SOS was absent until mid way through the session which leads me to believe that there was a backline meeting of some kind...Players not out on the field included: Baker, Clarke, Gram, Fisher, Dawson, Gilbert.

Midfield Group
Players grouped in the center of the oval. They included Dal Santo, Jones, Montagna, Goddard, Hayes, Ray...Coupled with King, Gardiner, McEvoy and Patterson.

They stood in formation with King as if they were about to undergo a centre bounce. The coach (couldnt make him out) was clearly running through plays.....This occured for about 25 minutes, as I waited to see some simulation. It didnt eventuate....I think they attempted 2 or 3 half ruck simulations.

Forward Group
By far the most interesting of the groups. They broke off into a forward formation across the goal face with Kos standing alone, with Roo and a small on the next line, with two smalls on the next line with Gwilt at the front. The smalls consisted of Milne, Scheider, McQualter and STEVEN.

They then huddled and literally discussed the entire concept with the line coach. A lot of pointing into spaces, and with Roo providing a tone of input which was clear from the boundary line. This occured for about 15 minutes. Ross Lyon then appeared from the race with a cup of coffee....Wandered over and joined the discussion. The forward line discussion then continued for another 30 minutes.....With no simulation.

Youth Group Group
Consisted of everyone else. Notables were Walsh, Stanley, Winmar and Lynch....Trained down the far end.... Couldn't see that far. Completed moving the ball into the 50 drills looking for key targets in front of goal.

The players then all did a session of boxing. Approx 35 minutes. Very vocal. Goddard's collorbone must be fine because he was enjoying banging the glove pads as loud as he could in between the breaks.

For the boxing a lot of players came out of the race, including Gram, Clarke, Dawson and Gilbert.

Baker and Leigh Fisher were doing bike throughout the duration, with many other players joining them as they returned.

Highlights of the day:

Riewoldt chasing Dal as he had obviously hit him with a boxing glove before the session only for him to catch him and drown him in a hug.

Steven in the forward group.

Tommy Lynch...Massive. Just a full unit....Didnt see him triain as it was too far way.

Geary looking more solid....Not massive, but fuller.

Riewodlt staying out to sign until the very end...About 350 supporters and it was magificent to see him stay for every last one. Got my new saints jumper signed by the captain perfectly which will be going up on my wall very soon. Made my week.....Also Dools got the skipper as well....As well as getting his arm signed my Kossie! Well done!

Did not see: Armitage, Sam Fisher or Jesse Smith at all.

And Eddy had a brace around his lower leg....Completed some handball.

Good day in the end!

HarveysDeciple

How was Gram moving?

Had a hip operation during the off season I'm led to believe after carrying something late in the season.

No signs of ill effect?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:How was Gram moving?

Had a hip operation during the off season I'm led to believe after carrying something late in the season.

No signs of ill effect?
Did only the boxing.

Oh yeh, and some stationary handballing as the picture depicts below.
Last edited by Spinner on Tue 19 Jan 2010 3:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Agree with all of the above, especially the comment about many of the boys looking leaner.

Things I noticed...

Ben McEvoy is looking very trim, seems to have lost the gangly teenagers body, and taken on quite the lean and athletic build.

It seemed to me that both Milne and Schneider may of been bulking up in the upper body?

Was Armitage out there? I left a little before the end of training and thought I saw him get in his car after chatting with a coach and it didn't look like he had participated in training?

Tommy looks great, really seemed to get into the boxing.

Zac seems really thin, or is that just me?

For those worried about the future, we certainly have our fair share of kids out there.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
S.A Saint
Club Player

thanks for the reports guys...much appreciated

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
HarveysDeciple

Scary avater Dools.

Still love the Exorcist, probably the greatest ever horror film.

aussiejones
Club Player

Anyone see Tommy Walsh kick a ball yet ? How is he going ?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:Ta Bernard.

Did you spot Jesse Smith?
http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=59134

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Wow, scarily similar to my report above.....Except there was no defenders group....

Also, Dempster was included in the forwards group....Dunno if i was happy about that.....

STK2010

aussiejones wrote:Anyone see Tommy Walsh kick a ball yet ? How is he going ?
CAN kick AND mark. marks a bit like jonathan brown with the straight legs, feet together.

bloke looks solid as anything. every part of 90+kgs tough and hard, big solid head on him and strong core. can imagine him breaking bodies offensively. a bit of a jonathan brown about him i'd suggest.

"we're not a babysitting service"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
saintlee wrote:Can someone tell me who's in the second pic from the top, I only recognise Tommy Walsh, and Tom Lynch....is that Nick Heyne in there somewhere too?
I'm pretty sure that Stanley is standing next to Walsh
First and second year players.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

thank you very much for the report & photos.
You have to love melb, 45c one day, winter jackets the next

Seeya
SaintDebi
Club Player

Happy birthday StFid, Matrix and of course my darling hubby!

We were able to attend our first ever training session today and it was well worth the drive up the highway.

It was a fairly light training session (Jonesy said he wishes there were more like it!). I won't even attempt to give a report as I'm not terribly eloquent with words and there have already been some good reports on here. Besides, I'm not even sure what some of the younger guys look like ti identify them. :oops:

The boys were all fantastic and very accommodating with photos and autographs. BJ started signing early with plenty of time for a brief chat with everybody. I think Rooey was the last player off the field and I doubt that there was a single fan who was not obliged with photos or signatures. They were marvelous.

Interesting that there were so many of us there and I wouldn't have a clue who any of you were. Dools, I think we (husband, daughter and I) were sitting just in front of you to your right while you were chatting to a couple of ladies. I was going to come introduce myself and say hi afterwards but I lost track of you.

It would be nice to be able to identify each other. I wonder if it would be too difficult to organise something like a SS button badge or something, so we could say hi if we happen to cross paths at games, training, events etc?

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Great you could make it, hope your hubby enjoyed his birthday :)

It is strange to think there is so many fellow SS posters in the crowd, and I wouldn't have a clue who they are.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote:Happy birthday StFid, Matrix and of course my darling hubby!

We were able to attend our first ever training session today and it was well worth the drive up the highway.

It was a fairly light training session (Jonesy said he wishes there were more like it!). I won't even attempt to give a report as I'm not terribly eloquent with words and there have already been some good reports on here. Besides, I'm not even sure what some of the younger guys look like ti identify them. :oops:

The boys were all fantastic and very accommodating with photos and autographs. BJ started signing early with plenty of time for a brief chat with everybody. I think Rooey was the last player off the field and I doubt that there was a single fan who was not obliged with photos or signatures. They were marvelous.

Interesting that there were so many of us there and I wouldn't have a clue who any of you were. Dools, I think we (husband, daughter and I) were sitting just in front of you to your right while you were chatting to a couple of ladies. I was going to come introduce myself and say hi afterwards but I lost track of you.

It would be nice to be able to identify each other. I wonder if it would be too difficult to organise something like a SS button badge or something, so we could say hi if we happen to cross paths at games, training, events etc?
Thanks and Happy Birthday to your hubby!!

Apparently the players had a real good session in the pouring rain yesterday and today was just a light session

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

training was good overall

there was more talking than work done, but they made up for it at the end by signing everything for everyone.

as said before, Roo was the last in, i dont think there was one child there that didnt get a photo with him, not every captain does that, so well done to him.

as spinner said, kosi signed my arm, and yes i will be wrapping my left arm up in plastic bags before i shower for the next 2 years!
and yes SaintDebi, that was me up the back :wink:

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Anyone have a chat(or attempted to) with Tom Walsh

if so, how is he settling in etc.

saint4life
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the report.
Spinner wrote:

Steven in the forward group.
IIRC when recruited the write-up at the time when comparing him to an existing AFL player compared him to Chapman.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....