Brett Peake

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

santazzi
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:never underestimate what a decent coach and decent leadership can bring out in a player ... so far peake has had a muffinhead Connelly and mr excuses Harvey as coaches ... Ross Lyon has more coaching skills in he left armpit then both of those muppets !!! also the freo leaders of MR "its all about me" Pavlich , Mr "im home i dont have to work" Hedland and MR "i can sing" Mcpharlin ... compaired with Roo Lenny and BJ !!!
Ditto.........truer words have never been spoken before so succintely...........

Saintersss
Club Player

I personally thought Ray was in the 22 when traded for, I more think of Peake as similar to Begley. Quite a few people had Begley starting in the 22 when we picked him up, didn't turn out quite to well.

The one big problem with Peake is disposal. And if people are annoyed with Gram, well be prepared to be even more annoyed with Peake. Don't think he will make the best 22, but you never know he could turn out to be another Lyon gem.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:
, I more think of Peake as similar to Begley.
A bit harsh on Peake...even if he does not make it I would have thought that he is class above Begley.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
spert
Saintsational Legend

Gram should not be required to do much goal kicking from his defensive running role, after all we have a midfield and a forward line, but for me the big problem especially since 2004, is that he midfield is not doing enough damage on the scoreboard and until that is addressed, we may fall short again in the 2010 finals (which I expect we will be part of)

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Interestingly Gram kicked 12.23 and Montagna 8.19 in 2009, while Dal Santo kicked 16.5 and Goddard 15.9.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Gram should not be required to do much goal kicking from his defensive running role, after all we have a midfield and a forward line, but for me the big problem especially since 2004, is that he midfield is not doing enough damage on the scoreboard and until that is addressed, we may fall short again in the 2010 finals (which I expect we will be part of)
agree

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:Interestingly Gram kicked 12.23 and Montagna 8.19 in 2009, while Dal Santo kicked 16.5 and Goddard 15.9.
thanks for the stats. i was right. i thought grammy kicked a lot of points... bad shooting from joey too. thats 20 goals more goals a year if 2 those guys get their putting straighter....
chuck in 20 from peake. thats 40 more goals next year....
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 13 Jan 2010 2:56pm, edited 2 times in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

How about Armitage, should he get a consitent role in our midfield, he certainly likes a goal or two.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

dcstkfc wrote:Interestingly Gram kicked 12.23 and Montagna 8.19 in 2009, while Dal Santo kicked 16.5 and Goddard 15.9.
One of the things that frustrated me through '09 was that Gram seemed to think he was a much better goalkicker than he is - if he was approaching 50, he was a sure bet to take the shot from 55 out and miss.

There were many occasions on which he either:
1) ignored the lead of a forward, or
2) (even more frustrating) could probably have taken the ball another 10 meters and kicked from a higher percentage area.

I like that Gram is willing to take the long shot - it's important in not allowing opposition defenses to flood back too tightly on the forwards, which has been an issue for St Kilda from mid '04, but it frequently seemed to me that Gram's biggest flaw is his decision making with the ball going inside 50. That said, I do wonder if a more HFF-wing position might have him kicking less fatigued and increase his accuracy... however I think it's important to have that long run-kick option just to keep the other team honest. If Gram wants to be considered a "gun" the fastest way to get the accolade would be to improve that goalkicking to 50% or better.

Joey seemed a bit different to me, he started out at about 50-50, and then seemed to lose confidence, leaving me thinking that perhaps he just needs/needed to have a couple of good goalkicking games and the whole think would turn around. Again, he covers a lot of ground over the course of a game, so perhaps this had an impact.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
One of the things that frustrated me through '09 was that Gram seemed to think he was a much better goalkicker than he is - if he was approaching 50, he was a sure bet to take the shot from 55 out and miss.

2) (even more frustrating) could probably have taken the ball another 10 meters and kicked from a higher percentage area.

I like that Gram is willing to take the long shot - it's important in not allowing opposition defenses to flood back too tightly on the forwards, which has been an issue for St Kilda from mid '04, but it frequently seemed to me that Gram's biggest flaw is his decision making with the ball going inside 50. That said, I do wonder if a more HFF-wing position might have him kicking less fatigued and increase his accuracy... however I think it's important to have that long run-kick option just to keep the other team honest. If Gram wants to be considered a "gun" the fastest way to get the accolade would be to improve that goalkicking to 50% or better.

Joey seemed a bit different to me, he started out at about 50-50, and then seemed to lose confidence, leaving me thinking that perhaps he just needs/needed to have a couple of good goalkicking games and the whole think would turn around. Again, he covers a lot of ground over the course of a game, so perhaps this had an impact.
IMO Gram has always been a "kick and hope it hit the target" type of player, yeah sometimes it looks good but more often than not it doesn't...

That is both for a shot a goal or passing to a player by either hand or foot

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

IMO Gram has always been a "kick and hope it hit the target" type of player, yeah sometimes it looks good but more often than not it doesn't...

Actually in 2008 he kicked 20/13, and was pretty good at it.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

Still kick and hope IMO..

He tries to kick the ball too hard (most times) and handballs poorly under pressure, but he is still in our best 22...

I have little doubt he knows his deficiencies and he will be working on them

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
SainterK wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

I have little doubt he knows his deficiencies and he will be working on them
Or at least, he will be told of.... :wink: