1994 Round 7, Sydney v St Kilda. Tuesday at 3.45am on 7TWO

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

1994 Round 7, Sydney v St Kilda. Tuesday at 3.45am on 7TWO

A game that needs no introduction!

Bad management is bad management
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I've still got the last quarter on video. The rest isn't worth watching.
I remember at the time watching the first three quarters at my folks place and,being sick of watching us getting killed, leaving at 3/4 time. Turned on the radio to hear the result and nearly drove off the road.
This game is the best example of one player winning a game off his own boot that you will ever see.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

remboy wrote: This game is the best example of one player winning a game off his own boot that you will ever see.
Dean Grieg?
Wayne Thornborrow?

Furtius Quo Rdelious
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

kosifantutti23 wrote:
remboy wrote: This game is the best example of one player winning a game off his own boot that you will ever see.
Dean Grieg?
Wayne Thornborrow?
I was actually thinking of Doug Bailey :D

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:I've still got the last quarter on video. The rest isn't worth watching.
I remember at the time watching the first three quarters at my folks place and,being sick of watching us getting killed, leaving at 3/4 time. Turned on the radio to hear the result and nearly drove off the road.
This game is the best example of one player winning a game off his own boot that you will ever see.

i was there...loved seeing plugger try to decapitate that snowy headed swans prick.....hugged a very drunk molly after the game too......lucky to get out of the ground alive after slinging a bit of s*** at the shell shocked chardonnay sipping crowd.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:...lucky to get out of the ground alive ...
So was Peter Caven!

I think it still remains the best comeback of all time - eight goals down, with 16 minutes and 18 seconds left in the game.

Alas, Tony only played another seven games for us, having missed the next nine after this Mothers Day comeback!

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

He just loved playing Sydney.

No wonder they moved heaven and earth to get him there,was the only way they could stop the carnage everytime he played them.

Bring back the Lockett era
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Just watched the last quarter! And that elbow.

Gee, will never forget that match, about 8 years old and remember exactly where I was watching it.

The Lockett incident was different to what I remember - Maybe a bit more nasty considering Caven had taken the mark.

Always remembered the comeback being around 48 points or so - So when it was only 36 points at the start of the fourth, i was thinking - maybe not such a historical comeback.

But Sydney kicked the first two, and the comeback was delivered over about 15 minutes of football....making it even more unbelievable.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Just watched it then.

Very surreal last quarter. To be down by so much at the 9 minute mark, the notion of a victory still seems impossible when watching it now, despite knowing the result.

That's a keeper for the collection.

Bad management is bad management
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Watching now. Saw Adrian Burns in agony. Can't remember if he recovered. The players are nowhere near as chiselled as they are now. Loewey would love seeing his hair again. Feel sorry for Dean Greig who has since lost his leg. Plugger is huge and still he was unstoppable. Caven caved in. Plugger looked much fitter at Sydney. Interesting seeing Jayson Daniels at Sydney. He played a great game. The undercut hair style was popular. Didn't even recognise Shane Wakelin wearing 33. Skinny kid!

Peter Filandia has an interesting story as Chad Davis would know. Wow, 51 points up with 11:27 to go in the 3rd quarter.

And 44 points up with 18:31 left in the final quarter.
And 48 points up with 16:18 to go.
And 41 points with 9:02 to go

With all respect to the great men, Spud's disposal and Loewey were shocking.

Burkey, Thornborrow and Greigy were great.

WHAT A GAME!!!!

sydney saint
Club Player

I was at that game . Arrived just after Caven had been cleaned up by Plugger & thought I'd arrived at a lynching. What a comeback. Always intriged me as how Plugger got on with Caven when he went to the Swans . I remember Wayne Thornborrow had a great game but he never rose to that level again.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

sydney saint wrote:I was at that game . Arrived just after Caven had been cleaned up by Plugger & thought I'd arrived at a lynching. What a comeback. Always intriged me as how Plugger got on with Caven when he went to the Swans . I remember Wayne Thornborrow had a great game but he never rose to that level again.
Must have been a dangerous walk when you were leaving the ground, Sydney Saint.

I lived in Sydney from 2001 to 2007. Had the indignity of seeing our first loss in Rd 11, 2004 after all the Melb fans saw the 10 game winning streak. Got hassled by a Sydney fan on the walk to the car who told me to go home. I did go home...to Drummoyne!!

sydney saint
Club Player

Hi Milan,

Had the indignity of seeing our first loss in Rd 11, 2004 after all the Melb fans saw the 10 game winning streak.

I copped at work that week . Even people that don't follow Aussie Rules & just the Rugby League were giving it to me. Always love when the Saints beat the Swans. Got a 6yo who is debating whether to be a Swans or Saints supporter. Hopefully our visit to MCG & a win over Collingwood may have swayed him in the right direction. He loves Riewoldt & Goodes . So he knows class when he sees it.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!