Lovett suspended

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

People are entitled to speculate here... it's a forum.

And I think we can safely assume much of this speculation comes with the unwritten adjunct 'if there is any truth to these claims'....

But he does seem 'accident' prone at the very least, and so far he has contributed nothing.

Funnily enough, 'accidents' don't tend to happen nearly as often to people when they are sober.

If this guy wasn't playing footy what would he be doing, and how much would he be getting paid?

For the sort of coin he'd be on, and the opportunity he has I'd happily become a teetotaller.

I really hope there's nothing to all this, but I think he's finished.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:People are entitled to speculate here... it's a forum.

And I think we can safely assume much of this speculation comes with the unwritten adjunct 'if there is any truth to these claims'....

But he does seem 'accident' prone at the very least, and so far he has contributed nothing.

Funnily enough, 'accidents' don't tend to happen nearly as often to people when they are sober.

If this guy wasn't playing footy what would he be doing, and how much would he be getting paid?

For the sort of coin he'd be on, and the opportunity he has I'd happily become a teetotaller.

I take your points Mark, and pretty much agree with them.

Akthough it would appear that sometimes people are just 'unlucky'.
Take the case of the Carlton rookie Levi Casboult who was the subject of news reports earlier in the week due to him being 'initiated into the Carlton Club Culture'.
According to news reports he was involved in a fatal car accident last night, through no fault of his own.
Did he do anything wrong other than happen to be on the road at the exact time that a car driving the other way ran into him?
And yet here we have his name reported in a news article.

We know so little of the actual details surrounding this 'incident' involving Lovett.
Yes things don't look good on what has been reported so far but,
maybe we should all just wait and see what evolves.

The hysteria surrounding this is as bad as the hysteria surrounding the Milne/Montagna 'event'.
Lucky that Hutchy the Tosser is away in the USA this time so no other player has been falsely named to be involved in whatever took place.

hilairehinshelwood
Club Player

- not being prepared to support people when they make mistakes.

This naive attitude is precisely the reason why Lovett is a repeat offender. Put your time and energies for the victims of these wasters.

JMsainter
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:

Take the case of the Carlton rookie Levi Casboult who was the subject of news reports earlier in the week due to him being 'initiated into the Carlton Club Culture'.
According to news reports he was involved in a fatal car accident last night, through no fault of his own.
Did he do anything wrong other than happen to be on the road at the exact time that a car driving the other way ran into him?

We know so little of the actual details surrounding this 'incident' involving Lovett.

The hysteria surrounding this is as bad as the hysteria surrounding the Milne/Montagna 'event'.
Lucky that Hutchy the Tosser is away in the USA this time so no other player has been falsely named to be involved in whatever took place.
I agree with both views.

Let's wait and see.

Fired Up Again For 2010. Go Saints!!!

Kepp dreaming those impossible dreams. Spend every minute of everyday striving to reach your dreams.
JMsainter
Club Player

groupie1 wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:Hey Groupie1

You're not doing yourself any favours with the filthy language.

I hope you had a great Christmas but it is not good form to call people the stuff you are calling them.

As far as Lovett goes, sure he has the right to fight the allegations but even as one of the fairer posters, I am not feeling too optimistic about his future in the AFL. It's a sad day for Andrew Lovett but it could be a shattering day in the life of the alleged victim.
Mate,
I am also not confident about his future. BUT, I get very passionate about a few issues:
- expecting more of footballers than they can deliver, in terms of off-field behavior. I think it is dangerous for our kids to see sports players as role models, and as parents we only perpetuate that by being holier-than-thou whenever a sportsperson does something wrong, allegedly.

- practically assuming innocence before guilt is proven

- not being prepared to support people when they make mistakes.

- people's absolute determination to cut down tall poppies.

You're right about the language - it may not work in my favor. But it expresses my strong feelings about these issues.
I tend to agree with you on the above points. Even if it rubs the self-righteous "I told you so's" up the wrong way.

Bad language is a no-no. But you make sense.

Fired Up Again For 2010. Go Saints!!!

Kepp dreaming those impossible dreams. Spend every minute of everyday striving to reach your dreams.
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Some facts

Lovett came to St Kilda with a history. Was given a chance to make amends and start again.

Within a month he was charged for drunken bahavour. What the paper said was, he was wondering around the streets. It was Ross that told us that infact he was at a private party. The charges were dropped but very little said about that fact.

Now we have another incident. The girl claims she was attached while she was asleep. How come that did not wake her up? Am I the only one that thinks this is a bit strange? Or was she so drunk, she didn't know what was going on. If she was that drunk, how can she be sure he attached her. Alot has been said about the position he put himself in. What about the position she put herself in? Was he drunk, I havn't read that he was. We do know that no charges have been made.

At this stage I am sitting on the fence and trust the club to make the right decision with his future.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Milton66
SS Life Member

Saint Bev wrote:Some facts

Lovett came to St Kilda with a history. Was given a chance to make amends and start again.

Within a month he was charged for drunken bahavour. What the paper said was, he was wondering around the streets. It was Ross that told us that infact he was at a private party. The charges were dropped but very little said about that fact.

Now we have another incident. The girl claims she was attached while she was asleep. How come that did not wake her up? Am I the only one that thinks this is a bit strange? Or was she so drunk, she didn't know what was going on. If she was that drunk, how can she be sure he attached her. Alot has been said about the position he put himself in. What about the position she put herself in? Was he drunk, I havn't read that he was. We do know that no charges have been made.

At this stage I am sitting on the fence and trust the club to make the right decision with his future.
Very well stated Bev. And coming froma female, you can't be put down for being sexist etc.

It takes 2 to tango, and until we know exactly what happenned, it's all speculation.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
saintnick12
Club Player

I am relatively new to this forum, but have really enjoyed it so far. I happened to be reading around on here when the news first broke of Lovett's suspension by the club and the issues etc. I have found it to be a great source of information about the club, even if you do have to wade through a lot of other stuff to get to the information.
I have also enjoyed reading people's opinions/arguements about things such as drafting, list management, players who will improve, the Luke Ball sage etc. I have found myself addicted to this site pretty quickly. And its not even footy season. God help me when the footy season come around.
Having said all that, I have just sat here and read this complete thread. I am absolutley amazed at some of the comments on here.(not the ones just above here, but further back and right throught the thread). I am so glad I didnt read this thread yesterday as it would have really upset me on Christmas day.

The attitudes of some on here amazes me. The sexist overtones of many of the comments and the language and general comments about the law, the family court system, girls in general, men in general,racial comments are very narrow minded to say the least. People need to remember that this is a public forum, and we do not know the age, sex, race, background or any other information about the people we are communicating with, unless they share it with us, and even then we don't know that to be true. It often sounds like the front bar of the corner pub around here...seriously. I am addicted to the footy content and discussion but get upset when I have to wade through highly offensive dribble in the process....

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
mohannair
Club Player

What baffles me is that How did Lovet get into the room of this alleged victim who was sleeping? As reported in today’s Sun.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

If there's one positive to this, it's that it didn't happen in round 20, 2010. Could you imagine the media fiasco if it occurred at that time?

It has been reported that senior players at the club did not want Lovett on the list. This incident will further emphasise their stance, and may have them losing faith in their coach's judgement.

I would suggest that he won't play a single minute for the Saints until there is a resolution to the situation. Even if he's proven innnocent, he'll be verbally taunted by opponents an the crowd for quite some time, so it's unlikely we'll ever get a focussed footballer out of all this.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

I feel as if Andrew Lovett is basically sticking his middle finger up at the saints, after we gave up alot to get him and took a huge risk by giving him another chance. I am p!ssed off, i mean he has a chance play in a premiership. I just feel like belting the bugger. How hard is it for these bloody footballers to do the right thing? Don't drink to the stage where you are an imbacile and don't alledgedly rape woman? It isn't that hard surely...I mean he isn't even gauranteed a game in our team, one would think he would be doing everything he can to gain the respect of team mates and everyone at the club? I just don't understand...we gave up a potential 200 game champion, by giving up a number one draft pick for this moron, with no brains...he owes us big time now!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

basically hes been suspend pending investigation ... we know nothing about the situation we know nothing about the girl we know Lovett has been accused and we know its been investigated by the police the rest is mere speculation ... i Trust that the club will make the right decisions on this matter that is in the bestintrest for our club... im not going to fling mud at Lovett nor am i going to defend him as i like 99% of people on here am merely a supporter of our great team , i do not have the relevant information to make an informed decision either way for support or condem of A Lovett ..... i hope this turns out to be a issue blown out of propotion i hope that there was no crime comitted for lovetts sake and the girl in question sake as what we are led to believe has happend would be a terrible thing ..... how will it turn out ? who knows but lets let the relvent people with the compleate story be the ones to pass judgment on Lovett not us die hard supporters

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:I feel as if Andrew Lovett is basically sticking his middle finger up at the saints, after we gave up alot to get him and took a huge risk by giving him another chance. I am p!ssed off, i mean he has a chance play in a premiership. I just feel like belting the bugger. How hard is it for these bloody footballers to do the right thing? Don't drink to the stage where you are an imbacile and don't alledgedly rape woman? It isn't that hard surely...I mean he isn't even gauranteed a game in our team, one would think he would be doing everything he can to gain the respect of team mates and everyone at the club? I just don't understand...we gave up a potential 200 game champion, by giving up a number one draft pick for this moron, with no brains...he owes us big time now!
champ i understand the anger but lets wait and see what happens first ... do we know for sure he was overly drunk ?? do we know for sure he did rape anyone ?? let the dust settle let the right people investigate and get all the details in line then we can see wat happens .... also it was pick 16 not no.1

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
matrix
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
matrix wrote:Image
Lov ett...
Sorry... love it.
bahahahahaha
thats funnier than the pic

friggin classic

asiu

If there's one positive to this, it's that it didn't happen in round 20, 2010.
agreed

matrix
Saintsational Legend

maybe it was a carlton troll who spiked his drink and got his sister to do a bit of lying?

maybe elephants sit in the corner of the room and dont get noticed?

maybe he royally farked up and s*** is gonna hit the fan?

maybe its a beat up?

it wont be long till we find out i guess?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

well except lovett has some form and hes 27.. so no rookie in the wrong place at the wrong time. unless the cops r just racist. which is certainly a possibility. they should hurry up and charge him or clear him. i hate this long uncertainty thing.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

henno wrote:lets not forget nathan bock earlier this year!!

suspended indefinetly for alleged assaulting his girlfriend.

was back training within 2 weeks.
true. as alan jeanes said "you dont win premierships with choir boys"

we all know grant thomas tried to !

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

mohannair wrote:What baffles me is that How did Lovet get into the room of this alleged victim who was sleeping? As reported in today’s Sun.
and what was she doing sleeping at this house anyway? no cabs home?
these kinds of cases tend to get very messy. ive heard plenty of these tories. just ugly things that shouldn't happen. if it goes to court it will get real ugly.. hes clearly no the sharpest tool in the shed.

i still dont understand why these guys dont employ minders. clearly he needs one between the hours of 12-4am 2 nights a week - thats a 10 odd hour week @ 100 an hour = $50k a year. money well spent to keep his career going. who is his manager???. heaps of people use minders. its not a big deal.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:The only thing we know for sure is that Lovett may have assaulted a girl. Whether he gets off is immaterial to me. He just cannot be that unlucky. As the saying goes where there is smoke there is fire. A good lawyer may get him off but he is damaged goods and must be sent packing.
So why are Milne and Joey still there?
How many alledged incidents are OK?

If nothing is proved we can't sack him I wouldn't have thought under AFL PA rules...

They are footballers, no one said they were smart, if its proven bye bye, if not he plays....
Again I ask and no one seems to want to answer it, if it was OJ we are happy because he was found not guilty.
Do you read things as they are or as you want them to be.
I didn't say I was happy to keep him, just that we had to and would.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Why does this stuff follow certain players? Agree with plugger66 on this one. Where there is smoke....

Clearly it is being taken extremely seriously by the club, the AFL and the police. The media have even been fairly serious about the reporting of this matter.

What a waste but moreso what a tragedy for the alleged victim.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If it goes to court and is contested, it wont be over until well after next footy season. Lets hope there is nothing in it and it is resolved shortly.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:If it goes to court and is contested, it wont be over until well after next footy season. Lets hope there is nothing in it and it is resolved shortly.
these things are never resolved shortly.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

How long does it take to usually charge someone regarding this type of allegation?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Moods wrote: On another note I'm incredulous at posters who appear to be of the view that you lose some, you win some with regards to trades.

It's not as if we took a gamble at pick 70 on him. He was our FIRST PICK! If Gardiner had stuffed up when we selected him, I would have been of this dismissive view, but he hasn't stuffed up and the club certainly didn't give up OUR FIRST PICK for him.
Was willing to defend Lyon and his stance on Ball. Got nothing for him?

So what. We got this speed demon in Lovett and a young Irish guy called Walsh.

Not bad, especially with peake and if Jesse Smith can come good.

But now it looks like we have wasted our first pick on this doofus, and got nothing for a #2.

Oh sweet Jesus - I cant defend lyon any more. Lyon has farked up HUGE this time.

As I said before, Essendon must be quite happy they offloaded this bloke and the s.hit has fallen into our lap.

At the same time they gey #16 - sweeeeeeet. :x

I really hope the alleged victim is OK.
Gardiner did some pretty bad things for us - they just never made the papers (surprisingly I must say).

Lyon scored the best, most professional and 'mature for their ages' list in the league. He's been very fortunate to inherit what he has - cause what he's brought since he's arrived hasn't been much at all.

Riewoldt may as well be Captain/Coach for us - such is the reliance on his leadership (on and off the field) and ability.