Brian Royal on Saints Coaching Panel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GrumpyOne

Mr Magic wrote:
Teflon wrote:Great get - Little surprised by some of the negative comments - Royal is highly respected in football circles.......I certainly think branding him cause of his time at Richmond is a narrow view.
Yes, highly credentialled and thought of in football circles.
Considered by many to have been unlucky not to land a senior coaching role in the AFL.

We are assembling a very experienced coaching panel.

Who has gone or is this appointment and additional position?
If he was that highly thought of and credentialled, how come he hasn't got a senior coach job. He must have been mentioned as an applicant in at least the last half-dozen vacant positions.

Saints43
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Teflon wrote:Great get - Little surprised by some of the negative comments - Royal is highly respected in football circles.......I certainly think branding him cause of his time at Richmond is a narrow view.
Considered by many to have been unlucky not to land a senior coaching role in the AFL.

If he was that highly thought of and credentialled, how come he hasn't got a senior coach job. He must have been mentioned as an applicant in at least the last half-dozen vacant positions.
To be fair, I reckon he's been short-listed and interviewed for just about every senior position for the last seven years. He must have something about him to at least get that far.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

How long was RL an assistant? Quite a while I reckon

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
GrumpyOne

saint66au wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

How many senior roles did RL apply for before he got the job with us?

GrumpyOne

Saints43 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

To be fair, I reckon he's been short-listed and interviewed for just about every senior position for the last seven years. He must have something about him to at least get that far.
There must also be something about him not to get one of those jobs he applied for. He is a serial unsuccessful applicant.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

There must also be something about him not to get one of those jobs he applied for. He is a serial unsuccessful applicant.
Some coaches are excellent as assistants and just cant do the head job (as Mark Harvey once put it).

Maybe Choco is in the latter. Anyway I would trust RL's judgement on this.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
From memory;

RL was an assistant at Sydney, Brisbane, Carlton and ??Richmond. I think it was around 1992-93 that he finished playing for Brisbane, meaning he was an assistant for up to 12-13 years Yeah, he did a fair apprentiship !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
saint66au wrote:
From memory;

RL was an assistant at Sydney, Brisbane, Carlton and ??Richmond. I think it was around 1992-93 that he finished playing for Brisbane, meaning he was an assistant for up to 12-13 years Yeah, he did a fair apprentiship !!
lucky the ol' Grumpster wasnt on his selection panel then eh? 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Foz
Club Player

Or say how many years coaching experience have we got ?

Elshaugh, Lyon, Silvagni, Royal, Lovell

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Foz wrote:Or say how many years coaching experience have we got ?

And Greg Hutchison.

GrumpyOne

saint66au wrote:
Eastern wrote:
saint66au wrote:
From memory;

lucky the ol' Grumpster wasnt on his selection panel then eh? 8-)
LOL.

My money was on his stablemate, the Horse.

Team Tommy
Club Player

He must have impressed Ross. Give the guy a chance.

lendog heaven
Club Player

chook23 wrote:Is Sexton gone??
sexton full time with Tommy? that's why we needed choco

Tramps like us.............
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

A lot of people said Ross Who?

Give Royal a chance.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

tudor still there?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

tudor still there?
certainly is.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Wayne Brittan is another that springs to mind... great assistant but that was it.

Same could be said about Joyce who inherited an exceptional Hawthorn outfit at the time.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

well the new administration have put their money where their mouths are on coaching staff. we seem to have as many or more than other clubs....

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:well the new administration have put their money where their mouths are on coaching staff. we seem to have as many or more than other clubs....
well we desparately needed to catch up with the other clubs.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:well the new administration have put their money where their mouths are on coaching staff. we seem to have as many or more than other clubs....
well we desparately needed to catch up with the other clubs.
yeah. seems we are on par now. royal. sos. tudor.elshaugh. we is doing ok. will be nice when we have a proper training facility in 12 months too.
:)