Interstate Games

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Interstate Games

In the process of planning my first interstate trip, the game is Sydney V St Kilda and it should be a ripper event!

Some questions:

Have others already booked? And what prices should I look out for?
>Thus far the best I can get is $26 there and $58 back at reasonable times with tiger.....Should I hold out?

Where do people stay overnight?

How difficult is it to obtain tickets?
>Considering it is ANZ this should be a worry....But how do you obtain tickets?

Cheers people...Would love any other information people feel would be worthwhile!

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

you can get tickets through ticketmaster, cheer squad, or the Sydney saints.
with the cheer squad and sydney saints you know you will be with saints fans, ticketmaster you could be anywhere, although if you enter your saints membership barcode im sure they will figure out you are a saints and put you near others.
the cheer squad sith at the Southern end of ANZ, what is the Dawn Fraser Avenue side.
the cheer squad stays in Liverpool somewhere, what is in the moddle of nowhere and is pretty boring. i know for ANZ games there are extra trains running from the city, and buses, and extra buses running from the train stations. I think there are express trains from the city to Olympic park station, what is right next to the ground.
hope that helps :)

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Interstate Games

Spinner wrote:In the process of planning my first interstate trip, the game is Sydney V St Kilda and it should be a ripper event!

Some questions:

Have others already booked? And what prices should I look out for?
>Thus far the best I can get is $26 there and $58 back at reasonable times with tiger.....Should I hold out?

Where do people stay overnight?

How difficult is it to obtain tickets?
>Considering it is ANZ this should be a worry....But how do you obtain tickets?

Cheers people...Would love any other information people feel would be worthwhile!
If you are comfortable flying Tiger I would grab those prices immediately. You would struggle to fill a tank of petrol for that amount. Wouldnt even slightly worry about tickets. Why pay more than you have to.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

dont go tiger
spend a little more and fly virgin or jetstar
<changed a flight time by 5 hrs arrival 3 days out from the game...no refund and no good
just my opinion
last yeah i managed to grab a special for rounnd 6 which was 90 bucks return thru one of the big two..i actually never ended up using it tho

one of em has cheap days on tues around noon, the other is fri (virg/jet)

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:dont go tiger
spend a little more and fly virgin or jetstar
<changed a flight time by 5 hrs arrival 3 days out from the game...no refund and no good
just my opinion
last yeah i managed to grab a special for rounnd 6 which was 90 bucks return thru one of the big two..i actually never ended up using it tho

one of em has cheap days on tues around noon, the other is fri (virg/jet)
Virgin has happy hour every weekday i think. 12pm-1pm

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

also, there is a Formule1 hotel near ANZ stadium offering $69 for twin or more.
although transport to the airport the next day is hard from there. a taxi is out of the question unless you have a lot of money to throw away.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:also, there is a Formule1 hotel near ANZ stadium offering $69 for twin or more.
although transport to the airport the next day is hard from there. a taxi is out of the question unless you have a lot of money to throw away.
Train to the CBD and then the Airport train.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

You would be hard pressed to get cheaper than that, I would grab it as soon as you can.

With accommodation, unless you are there for footy only don't stay near the ground as you would be isolated. We stayed at the Travelodge in Phillip St. Great spot, close to everything including a station.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
sainter35
Club Player

I'd definitely book the $26 ticket Spinner.

You won't get cheaper than that.

I've flown Tiger a few times and it's OK. Last time was for the NRL Grand Final and that was the morning of the game. They aren't great but it's a 1 hour flight so who cares.

You can probably afford to hold off buying the return flights though. I'm sure you can get cheaper than $58. The cheaper flights are generally early morning or late at night so whenever I go to interstate games I'll spend the day looking around the city and get a late flight home. Still, $84 return is pretty damn good so there'd be nothing wrong with booking it now.

I agree with everybody else about accomodation. You're far better off getting some accomodation in the city. You can get a train to/from the airport although I found the airport shuttle buses are actually cheaper than the train and drop you off right outside your hotel.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Flown Tiger upteen times and never had a problem,I even used to use them on the red eye from Darwin,always been fine to me. No difference,except cheaper price,and you walk out on the runway to board,big deal.

We stay in the cross. Used to be fun,but the cross is losing it's culture it seems as they make it more trendy.

No need to book tickets to the game,it won't sell out

Bring back the Lockett era
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Cheers guys, experience is really the key to all this....Collectively I can plan this trip the best I can, especially since I know nothing on the topic!

Keep the thoughts coming!

lendog heaven
Club Player

Grab tx for sure - we flew tiger all over the place this season with no hiccups - I've just booked the 6.50am Sat 27th for $26 - I have an email alert with 'iwantthatflight.com.au' which will notify me as soon as a return flight on any airline on the 28th comes up @ less than $50.

Stay in the CBD - got a 'mystery' deal on lastminute.com this year - 4.5 star near Darling Harbour $110 dble. Your tkt to the game usually covers your train trip to ANZ (did only other time we played there cple years back). It's in the middle of of nowhere, as you are now aware.

Watch for posts close to match day for the drinking hole to catch up with fellow sainters - quite a few of my mob going up again this year.

Can't wait!

Tramps like us.............
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

lendog heaven wrote:Grab tx for sure - we flew tiger all over the place this season with no hiccups - I've just booked the 6.50am Sat 27th for $26 - I have an email alert with 'iwantthatflight.com.au' which will notify me as soon as a return flight on any airline on the 28th comes up @ less than $50.

Stay in the CBD - got a 'mystery' deal on lastminute.com this year - 4.5 star near Darling Harbour $110 dble. Your tkt to the game usually covers your train trip to ANZ (did only other time we played there cple years back). It's in the middle of of nowhere, as you are now aware.

Watch for posts close to match day for the drinking hole to catch up with fellow sainters - quite a few of my mob going up again this year.

Can't wait!

Yeh thats the flight im looking at...Might sound stupid but I didnt really think about booking the flights separately....

Might book the first and book the return laters.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
lendog heaven wrote:Grab tx for sure - we flew tiger all over the place this season with no hiccups - I've just booked the 6.50am Sat 27th for $26 - I have an email alert with 'iwantthatflight.com.au' which will notify me as soon as a return flight on any airline on the 28th comes up @ less than $50.

Can't wait!

Yeh thats the flight im looking at...Might sound stupid but I didnt really think about booking the flights separately....

6.50am :lol: Tiger will want you there by 5.30
i have only ever been awake that early once in my life, what was this year for the crows game over there rd 2, had the first qantas flight out on the day of the game and the first jetstar flight home the morning after. was only about $100 all up seeing as i was not going to pay for accommodation.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Can't wait!

i have only ever been awake that early once in my life, what was this year for the crows game over there rd 2, had the first qantas flight out on the day of the game and the first jetstar flight home the morning after. was only about $100 all up seeing as i was not going to pay for accommodation.
Dooley is 5:30 an exaggeration? Every time ive flown domestic with carry on luggage it has been about 30 hour before.....

I live in Tulla so it makes it easier, dont have to get up that early to get there!!!

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Can't wait!

Dooley is 5:30 an exaggeration? Every time ive flown domestic with carry on luggage it has been about 30 hour before.....

I live in Tulla so it makes it easier, dont have to get up that early to get there!!!
no it is not!
tiger want you there early, bloody early!
plus at tulla they have a shed, so you are waiting in the cold for too long

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
Spinner wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Can't wait!

no it is not!
So they want you there 80 minutes before a domestic flight??

Can anyone else confirm this?

Looked on the website, minimum 45 minutes before hand....Would need an hour just to be safe.....f***!

Cheers Dooley!

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
Spinner wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Can't wait!

no it is not!

Looked on the website, minimum 45 minutes before hand....Would need an hour just to be safe.....f***!

Cheers Dooley!
also
Tiger Airways recommends that passengers check in two hours prior to scheduled departure.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

If you have not checked onto your flight 45 minutes before the planes departure, they won't let you on. So yes, you need to allow 80 minutes.

Don't let that put you off. We have travelled many times with them, they are fine and worth the money you save.

I would book that return flight. Though not as cheap as the other flight, its still a good deal.

The 2 hours recommended is for international flights.

Snakeman66
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:If you have not checked onto your flight 45 minutes before the planes departure, they won't let you on. So yes, you need to allow 80 minutes.

Don't let that put you off. We have travelled many times with them, they are fine and worth the money you save.

I would book that return flight. Though not as cheap as the other flight, its still a good deal.

Be careful with Tiger. Flew over for round 21 all OK but return flight checked-in only for them to cancel flight at 10.00pm on Sunday night. Next available was Tuesday.

Spent the night in a hire car driving back to Adelaide with my 11 year old son and 2 Collingwood supporters who also got stuck.

You pay for what you get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Snakeman66 wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:If you have not checked onto your flight 45 minutes before the planes departure, they won't let you on. So yes, you need to allow 80 minutes.

Be careful with Tiger. Flew over for round 21 all OK but return flight checked-in only for them to cancel flight at 10.00pm on Sunday night. Next available was Tuesday.

Spent the night in a hire car driving back to Adelaide with my 11 year old son and 2 Collingwood supporters who also got stuck.

but why bother flying over to see a north v saints game? lol
could not be a more boring game, and it ended out to be a shocker.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

im telling ya
tiger are a pain in the ass

my first experience was shite and i didnt even get on their plane
although i do know peeps that have flown with em a fair bit with no probs

tigers prob is lack of planes, so if one is late, or has mechanical probs the delay is huge...with no refunds :)

sydney to melbs??
drive...enjoy the scenery

cruise control is my fwiend :P

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

saintdooley wrote:
Snakeman66 wrote:

but why bother flying over to see a north v saints game? lol
could not be a more boring game, and it ended out to be a shocker.
Thanks for the reminder Saintdooley! Very disappointed in that game. But you don't know these things when you book in advance. I booked it in Nov last year. At $54 return, it was a bargain.

Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

Spinner wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
Spinner wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Can't wait!

no it is not!

Cheers Dooley!
Tigers minimum check in is 45 minutes, however they are slow with check in and dont have any automatic kiosks so you need to allow at least an hour and 15 mins.

Other than that I have flown tiger afew times and haven't had any problems.

The general belief is that if you are going to have problems with tiger it will usually be in the afternoon/evening. Most morning flights are ok.