Adam Pattison

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Watching him for Richmond he is a grunt player. Undersized ruckman bit like when Goose played ruck but a bit taller.

Might have been picked as insurance but once he is inthe door the ball is in his court to achieve whatever he can,ala Dawson.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:
BigMart wrote:Pattison was DELISTED by Richmond FFS.......he is a gumby.....Tim Elliott is back.....

I was actually sitting with two tiger fans when he was called they burst out laughing....
And Bulldogs laughed at when we picked up Ray- i wasnt

Did u laugh when u said that Richmond picked up Tamblng instead of Frankiln? I would
we traded for RAY - he put himself up for trade. He wasnt even in the draft. cant compare

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:
BigMart wrote:We traded for Ray......
I know we did. But the Bulldogs were saying ' hack hack' how wrong were they?!

He was played in the wrong spot, much like Pattison under a coach that had no idea how to get anything out of his players
rocket eade is going ok - and many dogs fans were disappointed to see farren go.

Saintersss
Club Player

ace wrote:
Batnoe wrote:There will be a few mature age rookies

Ablett, Harding etc will get picked up, if they arent in pre season they will be mature rookies
There were only 4 PASSes in the National Draft so unless their are more senior players delisted (or veterans inside the list moved outside the list) there will only be 4 Pre-Season picks.
1. Melbourne - Joel MacDonald
2. Richmond - to be announced
3. Fremantle - Adam McPhee
4. Sydney - Daniel Bradshaw
Essendon have one as well due to McPhee leaving and I think West Coast as well.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I think getting him was a good move.

A ruckman who was an early draft pick

Has done his time treading water as all young ruckman do.

He hasn't set the league on fire but how can you playing for Richmond.

Top4King
Club Player

Goose is king wrote: He hasn't set the league on fire but how can you playing for Richmond.
... walk into AFL House with 60pds of liquid explosives taped to your chest and tell them that you want to speak with andrew

saintly
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:ON SEN this morning
who adam pattison? and what did he say?

Top4King
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:
BigMart wrote:Pattison was DELISTED by Richmond FFS.......he is a gumby.....Tim Elliott is back.....

I was actually sitting with two tiger fans when he was called they burst out laughing....
And Bulldogs laughed at when we picked up Ray- i wasnt

Did u laugh when u said that Richmond picked up Tamblng instead of Frankiln? I would
hawthorn fans weren't laughing. they're not happy with rhan hooper.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Spinner wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:Lets remember this time last year, we were all scratching our heads after recruiting Farren Ray and Zac Dawson and look what happened there. In Ross we trust :)

I wasn't scratching my head about Ray.

But I was livid about Zac!

:D
Haha I was the other way around! Pumped about Zac, cursing Fazza!

It's disappointing to read so many 'supporters' have not learnt their lesson about bagging new recruits. Pattison is a big hearted trier, who played as #2 ruckman in a terrible side. He'll give a contest, run to space & can sneak forward & kick a goal. He's purely depth for us, will fill that gap if injuries take their toll.

People have to realise that a #64 pick is very unlikely to be a long term player. Pattison may only be around for a few years until Ben, Rhys and Blake are experienced & mature enough to be our ruck rotation.

Another smart pick... I would have liked to see Mitch Thorp taken at #77 but Ross, Peakey & Drainy are the experts.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote: ... I would have liked to see Mitch Thorp taken at #77 but Ross, Peakey & Drainy are the experts.
I would have liked that too, there must be a real knock on that kid, more than is being let out...thought he would be a much better gamble than many picked up post pick 60.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:Lets remember this time last year, we were all scratching our heads after recruiting Farren Ray and Zac Dawson and look what happened there. In Ross we trust :)

It's disappointing to read so many 'supporters' have not learnt their lesson about bagging new recruits. Pattison is a big hearted trier, who played as #2 ruckman in a terrible side. He'll give a contest, run to space & can sneak forward & kick a goal. He's purely depth for us, will fill that gap if injuries take their toll.

People have to realise that a #64 pick is very unlikely to be a long term player. Pattison may only be around for a few years until Ben, Rhys and Blake are experienced & mature enough to be our ruck rotation.

Another smart pick... I would have liked to see Mitch Thorp taken at #77 but Ross, Peakey & Drainy are the experts.
sounds like Rix all over again. lumbering, trier, big hearted.etc etc.

tell me , what is the difference between pattison and rix? except fo the fact that rix had played in the vfl and pattision played in the 2nd worst team in the afl?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:
Spinner wrote:

tell me , what is the difference between pattison and rix? except fo the fact that rix had played in the vfl and pattision played in the 2nd worst team in the afl?
Under probably the worst coach in the AFL...

saintly
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
saintly wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Under probably the worst coach in the AFL...
wallace did ok at the bulldogs. terrible at richmond. didn't help that their recruiting was sh..t

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
tell me , what is the difference between pattison and rix?
Only one of those players gave barks4eva a woody

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
saintly wrote:
how about explaining the difference between
pattison and the following mediocre (sic) rucks capuano, rix etc

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
saintly wrote:
I did

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:
ace wrote:
Batnoe wrote:There will be a few mature age rookies

Ablett, Harding etc will get picked up, if they arent in pre season they will be mature rookies
There were only 4 PASSes in the National Draft so unless their are more senior players delisted (or veterans inside the list moved outside the list) there will only be 4 Pre-Season picks.
1. Melbourne - Joel MacDonald
2. Richmond - to be announced
3. Fremantle - Adam McPhee
4. Sydney - Daniel Bradshaw
Essendon have one as well due to McPhee leaving and I think West Coast as well.
Yes, Tyson Stenglein was announced as retiring but remained on West Coast list at List Lodgement No2 so he is still a listed player.
If he does in fact retire West Coast will delist him at List Lodgement No3 creating
5. West Coast - to be announced

Adam McPhee is still an Essendon listed player but refuses to sign a new contract.
When Essendon delist him at List Lodgement No3 they will become
6. Essendon - to be announced

If there are any other players remaining uncontracted they may nominate by next Tuesday and then force their club to delist them on Wednesday thus creating a pre-season pick.
Clubs can still delist players at List Lodgement No3 to create a Pre-Season pick.
At List Lodgement No3 clubs with veterans inside the list of 38 can move those players outside the list thus creating pre-season picks
Sydney can do this twice and St Kilda once.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Some thoughts from the Punt Road End on Pattison before he was delisted - http://www.yellowandblack.com.au/forum/ ... hp?t=10793:
Originally Posted by Gemma
The fact that Patto is out of contract confirms to me that the tough call needs to be made to delist him if a trade can't be arranged.

I read on another site that Patto's deficiencies by hand and especially foot were known when he was drafted - with his high beep test being the factor leading to Miller drafting him at pick 16. Five years later his hand and foot skills have not improved at all which means he cannot play KP and he is too short to be a ruckman which means that we should cut our losses and give game time to players that are better ruck prospects.
Originally Posted by justmike
From what I have seen, he seems slow, inaccurate, clumsy and most teams will beat him in his specialty. So, it's a cause for concern.
hes a good bloke... BUT

i've said from the get go i dont believe he will make it because...

1) hes not big and strong enough for a number one ruckman
2) hes too slow and unco as a leading forward.
3) he doesnt go enough around the ground to be a 2nd ruckman...

i dont see much hope for him at all.
Pattison is a young developing bigman he has had a very interrupted season with injury yet because he is not putting up Cox numbers people are bagging him and writing him off. He is the same age a Tambling and 198cm and 97kg he needs time and patients.

We recruited him as a Key Forward then turned him into a ruckman because we needed one surely that doesn't help his development, coupled with a injury riddled pre season and injury riddled season means that he is going to look slow and behind others. Pattison will deliver and with a pre season under his belt and other developing ruckmen he will become a good marking target.
Originally Posted by Willy
In my view the ideal modern day ruckman that u were alluding to, aka Kreuzer, Cox, Ryder, Clark, even Vickery must be relatively quick for a big man. Patto isnt.
They must also be skillful and sharp around stoppages. Patto isnt.
They must have good hands to provide a target up forward when needed. Patto does not have these in my opinion.
They must also be at least a half-decent tap ruckman. it is debatable whether Patto is.
Patto's big tank and high work rate are about the only two attributes of his that fall into the modern ruckman proto-type.
Originally Posted by Jupps
I would also acknowledge that Patto is not poor in any of those categories.
He's not quick but he's not slow
He's not going to take bundles of contested marks in the F50 but he will work hard to provide a contest.
He doesnt have skills like Lids & Cotch but they are solid for his size.
He can't beat the best ruckmen but can more than hold his own against the no.2's.

Of our existing ruckmen, which ones are the most likely to take matches by the scruff of the neck over the next 3-4 years.
I'd have Patto as no.2.
Seems like they're a mixed bag, but then I suspect from Lyon's comments, Pattison is being taken as insurance.

One good thing is that Pattison admits he wasn't at his best last year in a fine article by The Age's Michael Gleeson:
Pattison, who was a second-round draft pick for Richmond, needed hip and ankle surgery at the end of the season having laboured during the year trying to play with injury.

"I just know in myself that that wasn't me last year," Pattison said. "Now I am as fit and strong as I ever have been and at 23 I think my best footy is ahead of me.

"It's definitely encouraging that St Kilda have had some good history with guys from other clubs and guys who have had some problems injury wise, so it makes me feel good coming here."

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

saintly wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
saintly wrote:
to my thinking getting a back up ruckmen for 2010 is the confusing bit.
Last year we got rid of the backup in Rix when you would have thought having a backup was more important in 2009.
In 2010 with another year under our "gun" kids coming through, we suddenly need a back up.
I still believe getting Vardy would have been the way to go.

Seeya
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
saintly wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
saintly wrote:
Last year we got rid of the backup in Rix when you would have thought having a backup was more important in 2009.
In 2010 with another year under our "gun" kids coming through, we suddenly need a back up.
We dont need another young ruckman. They obviously need a back up next season because of doubts over Kings knee.

Batnoe

sunsaint wrote:
saintly wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
saintly wrote:
Rix was s***, he should never have been labelled as 'back up'

So getting a backup is what we need- King and Gardiner are also a year older so that means we have to rely on the kids, where going into last season we were probably still considering using Kosi as a pinch hitter, but now we realise how important it is to have him in the fwd line (allen may have been the Kosi tall) and his injury didnt improve

saintly
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
sunsaint wrote:
saintly wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
saintly wrote:
We dont need another young ruckman. They obviously need a back up next season because of doubts over Kings knee.
if they have doubts about King's knee why sign him on for 2010? would it not have been better to delist king and bring in pattison and noather player?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
sunsaint wrote:
saintly wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
saintly wrote:
if they have doubts about King's knee why sign him on for 2010? would it not have been better to delist king and bring in pattison and noather player?
If the next in line available was patterson, I dont even want to think what was availble after him.

Doubts is the key word regarding King. King should be right - but there are doubts.

iheartdalsanto
Club Player

in today's Sunday Herald Sun - Craig Hutchison's page on the back of the sports liftout-:

'Knees Must'
Adam Pattison's recruitment may have seemed a little odd to some but there is method in the Saints' madness.
Seems Steven King's knee surgery revealed a bone on bone condition surgeons warned could be career threatening without proper management.

ace
Saintsational Legend

iheartdalsanto wrote:in today's Sunday Herald Sun - Craig Hutchison's page on the back of the sports liftout-:

'Knees Must'
Adam Pattison's recruitment may have seemed a little odd to some but there is method in the Saints' madness.
Seems Steven King's knee surgery revealed a bone on bone condition surgeons warned could be career threatening without proper management.
Cartilage all gone?

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA