Jesse Smith

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:hes a friggin gun. im stoked to have him.

wayyyyyyyy too early to write someone off at 22 over injuries. bodys take time to adjust to all the training at senior level. if we are smart we can get him up. not saying north arent. but sometimes it just gets frustrarting for player and club and they get sick of each other because injuries are stressful on both parties. i reckon we may have a friggin star. heck hes future captain material.
North didn't write him off. He walked out looking for better training facilities.

He learned the lesson about the draft that Ball didn't.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

one does wonder about Dempster, IF Jesse Smith becomes relatively injury free

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:one does wonder about Dempster, IF Jesse Smith becomes relatively injury free
Id say there'd be a few players taking a large 'gulp' at his arrival...

Dempster, Raph, Gears, Miles - All these players are similar type - but this is EXACTLY wat Ross and we want - a fierce competition for spots in the team! These guys will need to earn their spot on the list, and work bloody hard to keep it - a major positive of our current list!!

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

I'm amazed he slipped to pick 60. I thought he would of been gone by 32 even.

What makes it sweeter is Hawthorn would have been fairly sure they would end up with him, so they waited to use a later pick on him.

BIG MISTAKE!!

I look forward to seeing Jesse play for us, although i don't think we'll see him until at least the 2nd half of the season. I think Mission, Lyon and the rest of the staff will want to focus on getting him 100% before risking playing him.

Top4King
Club Player

we have so many big cannons on our list that it almost scares me.
i'm scratching my head and asking how the bloody hell we got so good.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

#1GILL wrote: I look forward to seeing Jesse play for us, although i don't think we'll see him until at least the 2nd half of the season. I think Mission, Lyon and the rest of the staff will want to focus on getting him 100% before risking playing him.
Lets hope so, there's no rush. he could be the cream on the cake.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:I'm amazed he slipped to pick 60. I thought he would of been gone by 32 even.

What makes it sweeter is Hawthorn would have been fairly sure they would end up with him, so they waited to use a later pick on him. BIG MISTAKE!!

I look forward to seeing Jesse play for us, although i don't think we'll see him until at least the 2nd half of the season. I think Mission, Lyon and the rest of the staff will want to focus on getting him 100% before risking playing him.
how do you know that hawthorn wanted him?

ace
Saintsational Legend

thirty-seven!? wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:one does wonder about Dempster, IF Jesse Smith becomes relatively injury free
Id say there'd be a few players taking a large 'gulp' at his arrival...

Dempster, Raph, Gears, Miles - All these players are similar type - but this is EXACTLY wat Ross and we want - a fierce competition for spots in the team! These guys will need to earn their spot on the list, and work bloody hard to keep it - a major positive of our current list!!
SOS wont be too upset to get 3 running backs in Lovett, Smith and Winmar to add to his arsenal.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
#1GILL wrote:I'm amazed he slipped to pick 60. I thought he would of been gone by 32 even.

What makes it sweeter is Hawthorn would have been fairly sure they would end up with him, so they waited to use a later pick on him. BIG MISTAKE!!

Agreed, no one but the hawks know...

The same with Carlton and Goose...

The Hawks selected Rhan Hooper @ 58 and then selected a kid Taylor Duryea @ pick 69 from the Bushrangers, who knows what the Hawks wanted.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
saintly wrote:

The Hawks selected Rhan Hooper @ 58 and then selected a kid Taylor Duryea @ pick 69 from the Bushrangers, who knows what the Hawks wanted.
I hope Goose is OK, wonder why Carlton didn't pick him up with such a weak defence...

Top4King
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:
saintly wrote:

i can tell you that the hawthorn mass wanted another tall. they're unhappy with hooper.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Top4King wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
saintly wrote:

i can tell you that the hawthorn mass wanted another tall. they're unhappy with hooper.
Hawthorn definitely wanted him...that's directly from the inside of the club.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
CORRECT

There have been many stories/quotes confirming this, including his manager of Foxtel on the night of the Draft !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I'm really happy with our selections on Thursday, especially Jess Smith.

I went to that 07 final when North beat the Hawks. Smith was awesome that night, very BJ like across half back, the hawks could just not get it past him.

While some people are commenting that we have mortgaged the future by picking up these recycled players, Ross, Peake & Drainy are doing a brilliant job of adding quality young players who potentially can play 150 games at St Kilda (Schneider, Dempster, Ray, Dawson, Smith, Pattison), a few 100 gamers (Lovett, Peake) as well as kids straight from the U/18's (Armo, Geary, Eddy, McEvoy, Steven, Lynch, Heyne, Stanley, etc).

In four years time when Roo & Kosi are 30-31, Lendog is 34, the rest of the primemovers will still be in their prime. The current kids will be entering their prime & there will be another batch of talented juniors coming through.

The fact that our recruiting department is now well funded gives us confidence that our club can continue to bring the young talent through to compliment our exceptionally talented core.

There is no doubt that we will eventually take our turn out of the eight but I can see it happening until 2016-17 when Roo, Dal, BJ, etc are all retired. By then the GC & WS draft years will be over & we can get access to early picks if our performances warrant it.

bozza1980
Club Player

Thinline wrote:Great. An injured underplayed relatively old whinger.

I mean good luck to him and all, but, people, a spade is a spade.
I'm not sure when 23 became old??

I can cop the whinger call, but what is he supposed to do, say I'm a huge injury risk please pick me?

A big roll of the dice play here but didn't risk much for it, so if it is as close to a no lose situation as you can find but with a big possible upside.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
fingers wrote:
CORRECT

There have been many stories/quotes confirming this, including his manager of Foxtel on the night of the Draft !!
My source was Hawthorn. Very impressed with him while he trained with them.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Quite happy with picking him up...at worst he doesn't play next season while a medical plan is mapped out to prevent continuing problems with his ankles and hamstrings...spends time in gym on upper body & ball handling drills. Not much less than an 18 y.o. picked up after pick 60 would be doing.

At best, cleared by the medicos to play immediately & slots in across half back with the occasional rotation through the middle (easily in best 22).

Will be an absolute bonus for club if he plays 100+ games for the Saints.

Good luck Jesse

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:

I spoke to a person today involved at Hawthorn who would definitely know. He confirmed that the hawks would have taken Smith with their next draft choice (69 I think) He said the only reason they didn't take him ealrier was b/c of his degenerative ankle. Reckons they have too many players injured on their lilst already. Also said that the hawks believe he will be a genuine gun IF he can get injuries, however the hawks believe that initially he won't be much value to any club as he he still has a fair stretch of rehab to go to get his ankle right.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:hes a friggin gun. im stoked to have him.

wayyyyyyyy too early to write someone off at 22 over injuries. bodys take time to adjust to all the training at senior level. if we are smart we can get him up. not saying north arent. but sometimes it just gets frustrarting for player and club and they get sick of each other because injuries are stressful on both parties. i reckon we may have a friggin star. heck hes future captain material.
North didn't write him off. He walked out looking for better training facilities.

He learned the lesson about the draft that Ball didn't.

I never said they wrote him off. I just meant in general.
I think he just wanted a fresh approach/start. which is what i was trying to convey.

same as ball but without the theatre.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 28 Nov 2009 6:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:Quite happy with picking him up...at worst he doesn't play next season while a medical plan is mapped out to prevent continuing problems with his ankles and hamstrings...spends time in gym on upper body & ball handling drills. Not much less than an 18 y.o. picked up after pick 60 would be doing.

At best, cleared by the medicos to play immediately & slots in across half back with the occasional rotation through the middle (easily in best 22).

Will be an absolute bonus for club if he plays 100+ games for the Saints.

Good luck Jesse
Agree. Good sensible post.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
Eastern wrote:
fingers wrote:
CORRECT

My source was Hawthorn. Very impressed with him while he trained with them.
ok, thanks for the confirmation.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
saintly wrote:

I spoke to a person today involved at Hawthorn who would definitely know. He confirmed that the hawks would have taken Smith with their next draft choice (69 I think) He said the only reason they didn't take him ealrier was b/c of his degenerative ankle. Reckons they have too many players injured on their lilst already. Also said that the hawks believe he will be a genuine gun IF he can get injuries, however the hawks believe that initially he won't be much value to any club as he he still has a fair stretch of rehab to go to get his ankle right.
if thats rright about the amount of rehab required, we wohn't be seeing the guy playing until the 2nd half of the year.

I do hope that he is as good as what people say he is, hate to have another X clarke, Maguire or ball (injured or too many injuries.)

sasaint
Club Player

The original comments from a 2004 phantom draft is pretty interesting.. I hope he turns out as predicted.

Jesse W Smith

Details:
Club: Aberfeldie/Calder
DOB: 29 September 1986 Hgt: 190cm Wgt: 80kg
Position: Half Back Flank
Natural Foot: Right

Honours:
Victoria Metro 2004
All Australian 2004
Larke Medal (best player in Division 1 of Under 18 carnival) 2004
Half Back Flank in TAC Cup Team of the Year 2004

TAC Stats:
2003: 17 games, 9 goals, 14.6 PPG.
2004: 17 games, 10 goals, 19.4 PPG

Strengths: Jesse W, or ‘Junior’, is a dashing half-back flanker who is extremely polished and classy. The son of former North Melbourne player Ross, he always looks balanced and poised when he has the footballer, and he has a knack of been able to weave his way out of trouble.

Smith has deceptively good pace, and he likes to take players on. A good mark, he reads the play well and has real courage.

Weaknesses: Smith might need to work a little bit on his kicking, particularly on the left foot, but it is usually adequate. Might also need to work a little bit on his endurance if he wants to play onball at AFL level.

Footydraft.com comment: The Kangaroos are massive winners on draft day already - Jesse would have been a certain top 10 pick. Looks AFL ready and should be a handy player in years to come.
http://www.footydraft.com/players.php?p ... se_w_smith

Patience young grasshopper
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda coach Gary Lyon puts his faith in former Kangaroo Jesse Smith in AFL draft

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 5804385726

Hahahahaha :lol:

Anyways, as funny as the title of the article is, I thought this was a good read....

Lyon said the decision to gamble on Smith was backed by the club's medical department, headed by David Missen, and by the Saints recruiting officers after rival clubs exhausted the other young talent they had shortlisted.

"We said, `Look, he has got real talent'. We have got the medical background and (the medical staff) are confident and have backed themselves in to get him up," Lyon said.

"There is risk involved, we understand that, but we just think that with the risk versus reward and with the pressure Greater Western Sydney and the Gold Coast are putting on to get talent through, once we got to pick 60, the players our footy department had picked . . . were all gone, so it actually made it an easy and instinctive decision."

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

So the latest and best we have on Smiths injury is not till second half of year at least?....hhmm..

If thats so he must have done a lot of bike riding at Hawthorn....and impressed at that....

Have read a few at Nth who say his ankle is roo-ted and likened to a car crash that has meant he has chanegd his running style which has added to his hamstring problems of recent tmes.

We have our work ahead of us - sure the upside is enormous at 23.....the downside is he doesnt play a game......

“Yeah….nah””