wil johnson pick 77

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

xander wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
xander wrote:I don't think Winmar is a bad player or anything and i'm happy we got him. He has real potential and obviously we rate him higher than most. But imo at our pick their were better players available.
What players did you see play that you think would be better?
Well i rate Reid, Vardy, Craig and possibly Christensen & Fitzpatrick. Admittedly none of these players are that similar to Winmar though so i can see the clubs reasoning.

And by see play do you mean personally see?
Yes I do mean seen play because all our recruiters would have seen everyone of those you named probably at least 3 times.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

xander wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:did not get a single vote in the sandy b & f. we should have rookied him. how can he be ahead of tom simpkin?

and for the record. zac was tearing it up at vfl last year. the story is the saints watched him 3 weeks in a row.

week 1 - kicked 8 at full forward
week 2 - played Fullback and dominated
week 3 - got 27 possies on a wing

so Zac was clearly a stand out at VFL level and very versatile, tall and athletic and a good kick. so saints were sold on Zac after those weeks.
I agree we should have rookied him He was not a pick many were expecting and probably would have lasted too our rookie picks. But for the record he got 6 votes according to the pic in the Tom Simpkin thread. Imo we also took Winmar too early as most had him going at around 45-65 in phantom drafts.
From what Ross has said, Will is a chance to play some games this year, or will at the least be a good backup to Zac... He is 20 years old and has a good frame meaning he can play right away. By starting him on the rookie list it means he cant play round one if required as we will only be allowed the one rookie elevation in round one - this may already be reserved for Tommy Walsh...

Also, i can understand why everyone rates Simpkin, but why the sudden desire to have him on the senior list?? Why put him there if he likely wont play a game in 2010, and when his rookie status can free up a spot for someone else such as Will??

xander
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
xander wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
xander wrote:I don't think Winmar is a bad player or anything and i'm happy we got him. He has real potential and obviously we rate him higher than most. But imo at our pick their were better players available.
Well i rate Reid, Vardy, Craig and possibly Christensen & Fitzpatrick. Admittedly none of these players are that similar to Winmar though so i can see the clubs reasoning.

Yes I do mean seen play because all our recruiters would have seen everyone of those you named probably at least 3 times.
Well i've seen videos of some and those that performed in the nationals earlier this year. But obviously i haven't seen them as much as our recruiters.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Devilhead wrote:Looks like he has had a shoulder reco
lol...

you see a small scar and it looks like a shoulder reco :?:
No.77 - Will Johnson
DOB: 26/10/89, Height: 191cm, Weight: 90kg
Recruited from: Sandringham
"We're really pleased to get Will. He's one we had in the back of our mind for awhile and we've been keeping a really close eye on him at Sandy.

"He's only 19 but we see that he'll play AFL senior football next year as a tall back. He played some really good roles at Sandringham and came off a shoulder reconstruction from the year before. He started off this year at Collegians and ended up playing two thirds of the year for Sandy seniors.

"He did some good jobs on some players in the VFL and we think he's a strong athlete with a really good upside. We see him as a Matthew Egan type and he's physically ready to play AFL football."

I think someone owes me a big fat apology!! :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
lol...

No.77 - Will Johnson
"We're really pleased to get Will. He's one we had in the back of our mind for awhile and we've been keeping a really close eye on him at Sandy.

"He's only 19 but we see that he'll play AFL senior football next year as a tall back. He played some really good roles at Sandringham and came off a shoulder reconstruction from the year before. He started off this year at Collegians and ended up playing two thirds of the year for Sandy seniors.

"He did some good jobs on some players in the VFL and we think he's a strong athlete with a really good upside. We see him as a Matthew Egan type and he's physically ready to play AFL football."

Yep, I have to agree :)

Snakeman66
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
lol...

No.77 - Will Johnson

Yep, I have to agree :)
I saw the scar and thought reco!!!!!!!!!

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

xander wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

As much as I wanted to see another Winmar running around, I definitely agree with Vardy especially in light of the clubs desire to get another ruckman. (Geelong did well there)

Seeya
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:

As much as I wanted to see another Winmar running around, I definitely agree with Vardy especially in light of the clubs desire to get another ruckman. (Geelong did well there)
The Saints did not just want another ruckman.

They wanted a another ruckman who can play at senior level in 2010 to partner McEvoy in case there are issues with King and Gardiner.

Stanley and Magrath are both seen as several seasons away...and so another very young ruckman was not required.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
lol...

No.77 - Will Johnson

Ha ha, good work devilhead!

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
lol...

No.77 - Will Johnson

It was just a question and that's why I used a question mark and not rolling eyes

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!