Was Lovett targetted???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Warumpi Band - "Jailanguru Pakarnu" (Out from Jail), "Today I just got out from jail/I'm going to Papunya now/I'm going in a hurry for my girl is waiting/I'm gonna sit down good--no more fighting/Today I'll be together with my family."

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Moods
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:So.....who reckons if, let's say, Jason Gram was in the exact same situation and did exactly the same thing, he'd be arrested aswell?
Hell no....

Lovett was arrested because he was aboriginal, plain and simple.

In no way am I blaming the cops, it's just the was society is.....

Or maybe I'm completely wrong, when does the season start again?
I do. After reading the article in full, I definitely do. Some people just don't know when to shut their mouths when on the grog. I guarantee he would have been told to turn the music down and go back inside or he'll be arrested. He chose the latter. Maybe b/c he was p!ssed and didn't believe the coppers would follow through on their threat, or maybe b/c he believes he's someone famous and they wouldn't have the balls to arrest him.

Or maybe it was b/c he is an aboriginal doing nothing wrong at all and the coppers wanted to make an example of him (isn't that how society works?) Maybe they were still fired up from their Nazi meeting (station readout) the night before. :roll:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

more info from fellow party goers
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... 5803929524

A BOOZY night behind the DJ decks has been revealed as the catalyst for Andrew Lovett's night in the slammer.

Make Me a Supermodel winner Rhys Uhlich has jumped to the defence of the new St Kilda footballer, revealing the details of the night they spent partying in his St Kilda apartment in the early hours of November 14, which led to Lovett being arrested and in police cells for four hours.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

slightly differant version in the actuall paper which states Andrew had been handling both Bomber and Saints fans all night with 'respect and dignity", ...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
The Saintsational Man wrote:So.....who reckons if, let's say, Jason Gram was in the exact same situation and did exactly the same thing, he'd be arrested aswell?

Hell no....

That is absolute crap. Are only black people arrested for being drunk. I dont think so. So Lovett hits his girlfriend. Was he only charged because he is black. Lets not make that sort of an excuse.
You're dead right plugger - the experiences of black people in this country are exactly the same as those of the whites.

Cops overreact to a drunk black guy at a party? - who ever heard of such a thing? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Look again it's the Flash!!
The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:I am reminded of the time the lead singer of Yothu Yindi was refused service at the Felix bar on Fitzroy st, St Kilda (which is directly opposite a park where aborigines used to congregate and drink heavily at the time)...
I was a Detective at St.Kilda for 4 years. Dont ever remember indigenous people coming under notice in Fitzroy Street or anywhere else in St.Kilda.
I was a Sergeant at Fitzroy shortly after. They did there.
I think the quoted paragraph was probably a media beat up at the time.
Who was it that shot the black woman on the corner of Fitzroy and Grey?

They musta had you on light duties Bazza!

Look again it's the Flash!!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:more info from fellow party goers
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... 5803929524

A BOOZY night behind the DJ decks has been revealed as the catalyst for Andrew Lovett's night in the slammer.

Make Me a Supermodel winner Rhys Uhlich has jumped to the defence of the new St Kilda footballer, revealing the details of the night they spent partying in his St Kilda apartment in the early hours of November 14, which led to Lovett being arrested and in police cells for four hours.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

slightly differant version in the actuall paper which states Andrew had been handling both Bomber and Saints fans all night with 'respect and dignity", ...
But I've been reliably told by thew resident expert on all thing s St.Kilda here, that Lovett is a "moron"(while Luke Ball is a "hero" :roll: ) and that this incident proved it.

The more that comes out about this, the more it sounds that Lovett was attempting to do the right thing and wasn't legless. Probably was a bit pissed and stupidly mouthed off, or the coppers on their usual power trip, but probably not anything to do with race.

Storm in a teacup and many owe Andrew Lovett an apology.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
GrumpyOne

"Obviously the music was a bit loud as the police came to attend a noise complaint, that is when Lovey decided to take over the situation and subsequently went downstairs at the police officers' request. When I became aware of this I went down to check on him to find he had already been taken away."

That's an old copper trick. Get him on public property so he can be arrested. :roll:

I'm not saying the police are racist here. They are no more racist than the general community. However they are no less racist than the general community either.

Check out the racist comments on the Andy Captions thread. ( I believe one has been deleted since by the poster, to his credit.) It would only require a couple of coppers with the same attitude as Top4king for Andrew to be carted away to the clink for no good reason.

It may not have happened that way. I wasn't there. But to deny the possibility that Andrew was locked up merely on the strength of his Aboriginality is total ignorance.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Invited outside by a police officer and then arrested for being drunk in public was it?

GrumpyOne

markp wrote:Invited outside by a police officer and then arrested for being drunk in public was it?
Ummm....... Yes.

markp
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
markp wrote:Invited outside by a police officer and then arrested for being drunk in public was it?
Ummm....... Yes.
If he'd refused to comply with the request could he have been charged with that?

Or if he was abusive?

It sounds like a kinda sh1tty deal to me....

sainterjo
Club Player

The Linton Street Flash wrote:Who was it that shot the black woman on the corner of Fitzroy and Grey?

Her name was Colleen Richman. She had her problems but she was a bloody good woman and a friend of mine.

What happened to her was terrible and should not be dragged into this thread.

They will not grow old, as those from more northern States grow old.
For them it will always be three-quarter-time, with the scores level
and the wind advantage in the final term.
PJ
SS Life Member

the experiences of black people in this country are exactly the same as those of the whites.
I'd be careful where you're going with this one.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

chook23 wrote:if it had of been more serious

charges may have included

insulting language
resist arrest
etc
This is the crux of all of this. It's Lovett's birthday, two days before he embarks on a massive preseason campaign with his new club - is there another time all year when it's more appropraite to let his hair down and get on the turps? He was obviously axed otherwise he wouldn't have been put in the divvy van, but he clearly didn't do anything massively untoward or it would have been Drunk & Disorderly at very least.

There is far too much being made out of this - of course I'd rather we didn't get the negative attention, but I for one am going to wait until we see Lovett's football do the talking before I pass judgement on bringing him to the club. I literally cannot wait to see him carving through the lines in the RW & B...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Linton Street Flash wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hell no....

That is absolute crap. Are only black people arrested for being drunk. I dont think so. So Lovett hits his girlfriend. Was he only charged because he is black. Lets not make that sort of an excuse.
You're dead right plugger - the experiences of black people in this country are exactly the same as those of the whites.

Cops overreact to a drunk black guy at a party? - who ever heard of such a thing? :roll: :roll: :roll:
And that has a lot to do with this. Make excuses all you like but racism wasnt the reason for his charging.

GrumpyOne

plugger66 wrote:
The Linton Street Flash wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hell no....

And that has a lot to do with this. Make excuses all you like but racism wasnt the reason for his charging.
Well, he was charged with drunkeness........There is no offense called black drunkeness, but whether being black was a underlying basis for the charge...... well, the jury is still out on that one.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I agree Grumpy One. I mean literally thousands of white people are locked up each year for being drunk in a public place. They are only locked up for one reason and that's to hide the real reason for locking ppl up for being drunk - racism. I mean it would be too blatant if they only locked up indigenous Australians wouldn't it? It's the only logical explanation. The coppers are so sneaky aren't they?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:I agree Grumpy One. I mean literally thousands of white people are locked up each year for being drunk in a public place. They are only locked up for one reason and that's to hide the real reason for locking ppl up for being drunk - racism. I mean it would be too blatant if they only locked up indigenous Australians wouldn't it? It's the only logical explanation. The coppers are so sneaky aren't they?
Yes very clever. Pity the 2 women coppers who locked up Lovett couldnt hide the fact that they followed Essendon.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Moods wrote:I agree Grumpy One. I mean literally thousands of white people are locked up each year for being drunk in a public place. They are only locked up for one reason and that's to hide the real reason for locking ppl up for being drunk - racism. I mean it would be too blatant if they only locked up indigenous Australians wouldn't it? It's the only logical explanation. The coppers are so sneaky aren't they?
Yes very clever. Pity the 2 women coppers who locked up Lovett couldnt hide the fact that they followed Essendon.
So according to you racist doesn't exist toward aborigines in Australia?

And therefore the only logical conclusion is that Lovetts arrest was coud not or ever be racially motivated?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

And therefore the only logical conclusion is that Lovetts arrest was coud not or ever be racially motivated?
Certainly 100% not in this case. Well certainly not according to someone very close to the action.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Of course racism exists - but why are certain posters automatically assuming that this must be at work here. Where's the evidence to suggest the arrest was racially motivated? A black man arrested - must be racism. Don't you think that's a little knee jerk? Where's the evidence to suggest that it even could be racially motivated? I'm curious as to why ppl even think this. Not even his mate, who obviously gave the best version possible to the press that supported Lovett, hinted that racism was at work.

Yes historically very bad racism existed in our society. Very bad sexism existed too. If two male coppers arrested a female, does that mean they are sexist?

If Lovett has been illegally arrested, or believed that the arrest had racist overtones to it, then he has the resources and the means to challenge the arrest in court. Aboriginal Legal Aid would be all over it. So far not a peep from Lovett other than an admission to the coaching staff that, apart from the story in the press being a little overblown, that he did the wrong thing.

Lovett appears to be taking responsiblity for his bad behaviour, I reckon we should let him rather than look for excuses for him.