Draft Options...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintersss
Club Player

Draft Options...

With the draft coming up very soon, just thought I'd go through some of names of who I'm hoping we pick up.

Pick 32: (There are plenty of midfielders in the 2nd round and therefore I believe one of quality will slide to us, due to teams taking players on a needs basis, most of the players I have listed below will probably be gone by 32, but I'm sure one will last)

Callum Bartlett - This is kid is a very good player and would have been taken in the top 10 if he didn't do he ACL this year. He is similar to Swift last year and therefore has a chance to slide to us. He has a lot of pace and is a very good kick, although he is quite an outside player.

Mitch Duncan - He is a medium forward who can play midfield. Just a solid player who doesn't have too many holes in his game.

Travis Colyer - Is rated highly, but one knock on him is that he is very short at 173cm, therefore will most likely slide, but what he lacks in size he makes up for in pace and endurance. Quality midfielder who has decent kick.

Allen Christensen - Earlier in the year was rated much more highly and a possible top 10 selection, but has slid significantly and now will be taken in the second round. The one reason for his slide is that he is quite short at 176cm and does not have great speed (although it is decent). But in saying this he is a good kick, reads the play well and gets plently of the ball.

Nat Fyfe - Very exicting prospect right here, stands at 186cm, but has a exceptional mark and is one of the best marks for his size. Just an all round exictement machine who would be very dangerous up forward. And although he is not that fast he has great endurance and therefore tends to outrun his opponent. Is a good chance at being there at 32. Similar to Steve Johnson.

Daniel Menzel - He is a quaterback, pretty much would put Goddard into the middle (or forward?) full time. Is a great kick and has resonable place and okay defensively.

Pick 60/64:

Serhat Temel - I know we don't really need a KPF, but I thought I'd give him a mention, while he tested very poorly in agility, endurance and speed at the State Screening, he has one of the best contested marks in this years draft. He is just your old fashion full forward, will break the packs and pull down some incredible contested grabs.

Trent Dennis-Lane - A mature-aged small forward standing at 184cm. Kicked 67 goals in the WAFL this year in which he was 2nd in the goal kicking. We don't really have any small forwards in the making now that Tunga has been delisted. And I really would prefer Steven to play in the middle, he'd also put much needed pressure on Milne, Schnieder and McQualter next year as he is ready to go. Also did very well at the State screening: 14.6 in the beep test, 2.88 in the 20m and 93cm leap.

Dylan McNeil - Not blessed with height, not blessed with pace, just a quality kid who gives it his all. Captain of NSW team? Inside player who has unlimited amount of courage. Wins plently of ball as well, wouldn't mind if we gave him a go. Skills wise he is not too bad.

David Astbury - Probably won't make it to our pick, but who really knows? Anyways he can play forward or back and is just a solid player without too many holes in his game. Has good marking ability, good pace, good agility and has a decent set of skills. 193cm.

Roland Ah Chee - Again not sure where he could be taken, could be as early as the second round or last longer, but the fact that he was not invited to the Draft Camp suggests not many clubs are interested. He led the Champs in the disposals and has very good endurance and decent pace, his weakness though is that he isn't a great kick.

Mark Hutchings - Is pretty much just a solid inside player with good leadership, good defensive pressure, tackles wells and has decent skills.

Chris Luff - A KKD who could become our CHB, a solid defender who can also rebound. Although at 190cm, he probably is too short for CHB and will become a 3rd tall. But he has good hands and decent skills.

Nick Winmar - An excitement machine and with his name how could I not mention him. He's a good kick with good pace and a great height at 190cm. A perfect winger, but there are some queries on his work rate and his endurance but if he works hard, he could become something special because he has all qualities you need to become a great player.

Pick 80 (Really think we will take a chance on delisted player here or a mature age recruit, but have no idea who, but I'll list some players anyways)

Dylan Grimes - He is a very good shut-down defender who has good agility and pace and therefore can play on a range of players. 192cm.

Myles Sewell - Mature aged player who won the JJ Liston Trophy (VFL best player). Racks up plenty of ball and is a good inside player. But as you would expect doesn't have great skills and doesn't have great pace. But could come in next year and add some depth or even make a difference.

Ideal Selections
#32 - Callum Bartlett (mid)
#60 - Nick Winmar (mid)
#64 - Dylan McNeil (mid)
#80 - Dylan Grimes (def)

We went very tall last year, taking only one mid. So I think with that and this being a midfielders draft we should take mostly mids. And maybe pick up a few more defenders in the Rookie Draft.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the analysis. good work. Can u please also tell us where these kids come from?

I know nothing about the draft... or the kids... but what i have seen in the media tells me that melbourne clubs over-rate TAC kids. I do know Sth Aussie won the National under 18 champs easy. Pumped it in. Yet the Age only has one sth aussie in the top 20??? Go figure....The HUN does not even report on them at all!

Common sense tells me the bargain/value at 32 will come outside the TAC and mots likely from a Sth Aussie - as we have done last year with Stanley and previously with Sam Fisher.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

My draft options :

I have prioritised our selections on a needs basis and I think our biggest need going forward are creative break away midfielders, a quick lock down half back/back pocket, goal kicking strong over head small-mid sized forwards, KPP players (backs mainly) and another ruckman.

Obviously we have recruited Lovett and Peake to play the quick creative goal kicking wing HFF role, otherwise that would have been my priority.

I have included a number of possibilities at each selection and at the conclusion have chosen my ‘Wish List’.

Midfielders:
Selection # 32 option

Mitchell Duncan, 188cm 81kg, Half forward with league experience in the WAFL, Duncan is a player that presents well and gets plenty of the football. Averaging 20 disposals per game at the championships, Duncan could be taken earlier in the draft All Australian wing.

Ryan Harwood 184cm 79kg, Tasmanian midfielder that finds the football regularly, hard inside midfielder that excels at the clearances. Harwood was sixth overall in champion data's statistical rankings. All Australian interchange.

Allen Christensen 176cm 75kg, touted as a top ten pick midyear Christensen is likely to be the slider. Christensen gets plenty of contested footy and knows where the goals are,

Jordan Gysberts 188cm 83kg, Gysberts has good disposal by hand and foot and gets plenty of the footy, a good midfield option

Jesse Critchton 183cms 66kgs, Critchton is a talented medium midfielder from Tassie, has been touted as a possible first round pick but more likely here as at 66kgs he needs time to develop, a long term mid.

Selection # 60 option

Mark Hutchings 180cm 82kg, tough as nails and hard at the ball inside midfielder who captained WA at the championships, Hutchings will be exactly the type of player.

Dylan McNeil / Murray Bushrangers / 178cm / 75kg
A players player. Capt of the NSW side and won the best player for Div 2. Great leader on the field and from all reports just a fantastic kid with a super work ethic. Very courageous player who is superb at the clearances (and remember NSW didn’t have a fabulous ruck division). Amasses big stats and tends to use by hand and foot very well – in fact its his outside game and execution skills by foot that have really improved this year.

Joshua Cowan 183cm 71kg, outside midfielder that is suited playing on a wing, Josh has good skills, a feature is his disposal by foot primarily on the right boot is excellent and he likes to run with the ball.

Alex Carey / Glenelg / 181cm / 79kg
Carey is an AFL / AIS graduate and is a very good cricketer as well. Strong build and very physical player who excels around the contest and is very courageous. Like many others in this draft has really good contested possession capability and his work around the clearances, particularly by hand, are exceptional.

Back Pocket / Back Flank:
Selection # 32 option

Daniel Menzel 185cm 77kg, Menzel is a rebounding defender with a good grab that shows poise under pressure. He uses the ball intelligently and runs to help his team mates out.

Jasper McMillan-Pittard 185cm 70kg, an agile defender with good spring in his legs Jasper has firmed in the draft late in the season.

Selection # 60 - 64 option

Pierce LIDDLE Height: 177cm Weight: 72kg
DOB: 1/10/90
Bio: Ultra competitive midfielder/half-back flanker who is willing to put his body on the line when required. His ability to run through the lines and break tackles gives him time to deliver the ball to teammates with precision. NT U18 representative in 2009 as over-age player. My smokey – he is very quick and classy. Exactly the man we need to develop as our main shut down man on opposition small forwards.

Marcus Davies 187cm 81kg, Tasmanian defender that attacks the football and the man, Davies has good all round skills, he likes to run the ball out of defense given the opportunity and he delivers the ball well.

Josh Cowan / North Ballarat / 183 / 74
He is what you would probably refer to as a ‘modern type’ insomuch as he can win the footy, run with it and use it pretty well. Skills and ball carrying are probably the two standouts features. For mine though he is pretty light and expect at least 1 year in the VFL if not 2 before he has an AFL physique.

Anthony Long / Calder Cannons / 186 / 70
Certainly shows an enormous amount of potential. Great height for a HB / Wing type and his leap allows him to play even taller. Very athletic kid who seems to have a bit more time than the others and therefore tends to make pretty good decisions. Doesn’t mind taking the game and whilst still very lightly framed presents as someone who will keep improving.

Charlie McAdam / Thunder / 180cm / 81kg. An overage player who really came on in the last 12 months. Plays HB and is used as a quarter back style player who reads the ball well and gets fed the ball to distribute on his left foot. Accumulates a lot of touches and his agility is a real feature in terms of allowing him time and space. He will need to be placed into a back line which is very accountable and use him as the player to release through.

Mid Sized Forwards:
Selection # 32 option

Nathan Fyfe 186cm 73kg, Fyfe is a clever forward with an accurate kick on goal courtesy of an excellent kicking action. He has good all round skills, is inconspicuously evasive and a strong mark over head.

Troy Taylor, 188cm 75kg, A clever and talented forward, Taylor would add an exciting, high leaping player with one touch hands. Troy is a work in progress though and it is unlikely he will play AFL in 2010. Troy is however one of the most untapped talents in this years draft, and the risk after three good selections is well worth the price. Sheppard was expected here but Freo has a number of HB options already and McPhee is also on his way to the Dockers so the forward line needs attention. Mathew Panos also in the mix.

Selection # 60 option

Nicholas Winmar / Claremont / 190cm / 78kg
Blessed with great pace, skills and agility he really good be an x factor player that a club would take much earlier than this. Testing results usually count for something though so he could drift. Has played wing / HF at junior level and suspect this is where he will end up although I think more Fwd pocket early.

Tom HARMS Height: 185cm Weight: 78kg DOB: 15/06/91 Recruited from: Immanuel College/Sturt
Bio: Versatile midfielder/forward who is very difficult to match up on. Strong hands as well as powerful and accurate foot skills make him a danger when in possession. SA U18 representative in 2009. Solid performance at Draft Camp in beep test with 13.5. Long goal kicking wingmen would be great as a late draft selection.

Key Position:
Selection # 32 or 60 options

David Astbury / North Ballarat / 194cm / 80kg
Had a fine champs, particularly early, where he showed he can play forward and back. Presents well and has a wonderful contested grab, given he is still pretty light that should get even better when he can use some weight in a marking contest. Might start as a forward as has good pace and finishing skills but ultimately I think he might be a Nathan Bock type who settles as a running CHB.

Kyle Hartigan / Western Jets / 194 / 84
At the start of the year was one who was a definite top 20 prospect. Had some injury worries which haven’t helped but when up and about mostly plays CHB and entered the year as a really promising type who could take some contested grabs. Played champs this year and wasn’t as impressive as many would have hoped (maybe the injuries but was selected so.......).

My wish list –
Selection # 32 Mitchell DUNCAN or Ryan HARWOOD
Selection #60 David ASTBURY or Jasper McMILLAN-PITTARD
Selection #64 Pierce LIDDLE or Nicholas WINMAR
Selection #74 Tom HARMS

Rookies: Any of the above not taken. Mature aged ruckman.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I just hope we ignore anyone with a question mark over their kicking

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:I just hope we ignore anyone with a question mark over their kicking
Totally agree.

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i want someone 180-185 cm. fast. good kick. tough. and super competitive. long term replacement for bakes. somone who can play small back or tagger and as a swing man in the middle.

xander
Club Player

wouldnt we want to get a KPF like Temel or Astbury since we virtually have no tall forwards after roo and kosi?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

xander wrote:wouldnt we want to get a KPF like Temel or Astbury since we virtually have no tall forwards after roo and kosi?
whats tom lynch? chop liver?

xander
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
xander wrote:wouldnt we want to get a KPF like Temel or Astbury since we virtually have no tall forwards after roo and kosi?
He's more of a medium forward like an Aaron Hamill in my opinion.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

xander wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Hamill played tall cos he was such a tank. But if you look at the facts. I think I'm correct on this one. Tommy Lynch is a tall forward in my books.

Aaron Hamill - 183cm
Tom Lynch - 192 cm
Brendan Fevola - 191 cm
Daniel Bradshaw - 191 cm
Matthew Lloyd - 192cm

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

the Clubs notes
http://www.saints.com.au/season2009/new ... fault.aspx
[quote]We have a list of players that we think will be there when we make our selections. We also have another group, just in case we need to determine where a certain player fits in the pecking order should he slip through. So we essentially have two lists; the list we think will be there at selection 32 and a list should someone unexpectedly drop through the net. All scenarios will be covered.â€

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
xander
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
xander wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Hamill played tall cos he was such a tank. But if you look at the facts. I think I'm correct on this one. Tommy Lynch is a tall forward in my books.

Aaron Hamill - 183cm
Tom Lynch - 192 cm
Brendan Fevola - 191 cm
Daniel Bradshaw - 191 cm
Matthew Lloyd - 192cm
While he is a tall forward he is not a key position player like roo and kosi from what i have seen.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

xander wrote:

While he is a tall forward he is not a key position player like roo and kosi from what i have seen.
Nothing 2 years in the gym and some protein shakes cant fix :D

xander
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
xander wrote:

Nothing 2 years in the gym and some protein shakes cant fix :D
Okay even if he does become a great key position forward he is basically the only kpf on our list at the moment with the retirement of Allen. Imo we should probably recruit a project player for 3+ years time.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

#32 Nicky Winmar (playing on the wing)
#60 Nicky Winmar (playing on HFF)

then a Baker protege, Liddle or Davies?

If I remember rightly Cuz wasnt keen on training either

Seeya
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:#32 Nicky Winmar (playing on the wing)
#60 Nicky Winmar (playing on HFF)

then a Baker protege, Liddle or Davies?

If I remember rightly Cuz wasnt keen on training either
Ross must have been asked
That means that Ball could yet end up at the Magpies after all.

St Kilda coach Ross Lyon said on draft eve on Wednesday that the draft would tell whether his club's stand on Ball during trade week would be vindicated when the Saints refused to trade him once the Magpies did not offer either a first-round draft pick or quality players in return.

"What we are about to find out at the national draft is Luke Ball - where he is rated," Lyon said.

While the Saints now sit back and wait with interest to see what happens to their former skipper, the club could be involved in one of the fairytale moments of this year's draft if it is able to secure 18-year-old Nicholas Winmar.

Winmar is the second cousin of one of the Saints' greatest players in Nicky Winmar and has been linked with the Saints at pick 60.

However Lyon refused to guarantee anything when asked about Winmar on the eve of the draft.

"I met him at the draft camp, he is a lovely young man and I think they (the recruiters) are talking about him being (picked) in the mid 60s," Lyon said.

"He has got some assets but I don't think he is right up in the pecking order in the draft, as romantic as it would be."
http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/ ... ball-81877

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

we got TOMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYY WAAAAAAAAAAAALSHHHHHHHHH