Luke names Essendon or COllingwood

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

66 Saints wrote:THanks for the response Mr M.

Ralph doesn't mention in this article that the Saints put Ball on the trade table, apologies if this was in an earlier article.

technically Collingwood are the only club that made a play for him in trade week. I don't recall reading of any offers coming in from these other clubs who are now interested.

It would have been nice if Luke and his management opened the field then and we may have done a straight swap for Lovett and kept pick 16. However they didn't and the club tried get him to Collingwood (but only in an equitable deal).

I'd be optimistic of getting to Collingwood if I were Luke Ball as well, yes there are 3-4 other clubs looking at him but none have said they will draft him, until they do you'd be optimistic.

Of course journalists get 'fed' information and don't get by making 'lucky' guesses, thats what being a journalist is. You make phone calls, meet some people, some don't comment, others do and you write about it.

I haven't read all of Jon's articles over the past few weeks so can't comment on the favourable light you mention, however as above, St Kilda have said no more comments, obviously Connors is still commenting and Ralph is employed to write about AFL.

I don't agree that Ralph is deceiptful or an untrustworthy stooge.
I'm not a journalist so I don't know uinder what rules/morals/ethics they operate under.

BUT if I was and someone 'feeds' me a story that I cannot confirm independantly if it is true or not, I would certainly either not publish it or put in a 'rider' to the effect that what I'm reporting is only 1 side's version of the story.

I ertainly would be avoiding making misleading claims like the one I highlighted previously.

Ralph and for that matter all other journalists know that Ball already had a deal in place with Collingwood when he advised the Club that he wanted a trade.
He didn't ask to be 'put on the trade table', but to be traded to Collingwood.
They are not the same thing, in fact very different circumstances.

For Ralph to write an article which infers/portrays that no other Clubs showed interest in him is , IMHO, deceitful.
I consider it to be deceitful because it tried to convey an image of Collingwood being the only Club that had any interest in 'poor Luke' and that the Saints/AFL/everybody else is 'being mean' to him by just not allowing him to get there.
That is in fact tantamount to acting on behalf of Ball/Connors in their very public campaign to achieve their desired result.
That may not be his 'prime motive' in writing this article but it is noetheless the result he achieves.

And quite frankly, if it requires the term 'technically' to be brought out to justify it, then that's pretty much proof that it was written in a deceptive manner. (again IMO)

We all know that no other Club was given any opportunity to trade for Ball becasue the Saints attempted to do the deal with the only Club Ball nominated.
Had we been the 'heartless disloyal monsters' we've been portrayed I have no doubt we could have arranged a trade for him with another Club that would have been to our benefit, but maybe not his.

Maybe if more journalists were held to account to write accurate articles rather than the mistake riddled and deliberately misleading ones we get, then the standard of journalism may rise from its current level?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:
**** off to modeling school
:twisted:

dont think hed go too well at modelling school with that head. certainly not the most handsome footy player going around.

*BaLLy iS BeST*
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:
**** off to modeling school
:twisted:

dont think hed go too well at modelling school with that head. certainly not the most handsome footy player going around.
:shock: :shock: i obviously have poor taste then ... haha

i will miss you bally. but i guess you just didn't want to be here.

heres hoping you are regretting that choice on that last day in september 2010 - go saints.
ace
Saintsational Legend

*BaLLy iS BeST* wrote:i obviously have poor taste then ... haha
Time to change your ID.
You might like to try "BaLLy iS TRaiToR

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Time to change your ID.
Hows the neck?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Chris Connolly spoke at a sponsors function at my local footy club last night. Was asked the question re Ball - and replied, 'if he's still available at pick 18, I think we'll be using it on him.'

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Luke Ball and his manager have already effectively tampered with the draft by

1) $500k price on his head for two years: then

2) refusing to talk to other clubs except Collingwood.

This is not my view but Mark Fine.

Now Mark Fine is a Saints man, but as anyone who has listened to his radio show, he is not emotional and biased when it comes to football discussion.

When a bloke like Mark Fine (and Robert Shaw) accuse Ball and Connors of draft tampering, you know this is getting very ugly and dirty.

Ball has all but destroyed his character with this tawdry episode.

The more comes out about Ball's character, the more it seems RL has made a very very good call.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

query:
has anyone actually heard Malthouse or Buckley or Maguire say they "WANT" Luke?

I have heard: they had been talked to by Ball's Management before the end of the season, ( CEO's and football managers of atleast two other clubs ahve confirmed this,)
I have heard they will look at him if he is still there at pick 30
I have heard they can afford him
I know they would not 'give a player' in trade,- or could not organise a player/ pick in trade.

?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:query:
has anyone actually heard Malthouse or Buckley or Maguire say they "WANT" Luke?

I have heard: they had been talked to by Ball's Management before the end of the season, ( CEO's and football managers of atleast two other clubs ahve confirmed this,)
I have heard they will look at him if he is still there at pick 30
I have heard they can afford him
I know they would not 'give a player' in trade,- or could not organise a player/ pick in trade.

?
Luke Ball has said NOTHING publicly

Collingwood has said NOTHING publicly

Paul Connors has said PLENTY publicly

Luke Ball can get into trouble for Draft Tampering

Collingwood can get into trouble for Draft Tampering

Can PAUL CONNORS get into trouble for Draft Tampering? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Luke Ball and his manager have already effectively tampered with the draft by

Now Mark Fine is a Saints man, but as anyone who has listened to his radio show, he is not emotional and biased when it comes to football discussion.

When a bloke like Mark Fine (and Robert Shaw) accuse Ball and Connors of draft tampering, you know this is getting very ugly and dirty.

The more comes out about Ball's character, the more it seems RL has made a very very good call.
Was that last night, when he was discussing it with Nathan Thompson? I think they may have used the word cheating...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Luke Ball and his manager have already effectively tampered with the draft by

I would suggest everything you have mentioned means he hasnt draft tampered. Has he refused to play with a club. I dont think so. he can put any price on his head and it is up to any club to pay. When he is drafted by another club except the pies will it still be draft tampering.

GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

When he is drafted by another club except the pies will it still be draft tampering.
You don't really get it. He could be picked up with the 1st pick and still be involved in draft tampering (it would obviously be unsuccessful tampering in that case). It is the process, not the result that is the problem.

*BaLLy iS BeST*
Club Player

ace wrote:
Time to change your ID.
:cry:

how do i go about changing it? cos sadly i will have to.

i will miss you bally. but i guess you just didn't want to be here.

heres hoping you are regretting that choice on that last day in september 2010 - go saints.
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

What about BaLLy iS BeaST?

Another opportunity awaits!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:
When he is drafted by another club except the pies will it still be draft tampering.
You don't really get it. He could be picked up with the 1st pick and still be involved in draft tampering (it would obviously be unsuccessful tampering in that case). It is the process, not the result that is the problem.
I get it completely and so do people who comment on football who have no bias towards or against the Saints and all are saying he hasnt tamered with draft by refusing to speak to clubs and I agree.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

*BaLLy iS BeST* wrote:
ace wrote:
Time to change your ID.
:cry:

how do i go about changing it? cos sadly i will have to.
You just need to PM one of the mods with what your new nickname is to be...

Don't feel to bad, we all thought he was a guy that you would feel pretty confident to put your support behind...and not be let down. :?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
GeorgeYoung27 wrote:
I get it completely and so do people who comment on football who have no bias towards or against the Saints and all are saying he hasnt tamered with draft by refusing to speak to clubs and I agree.
It's called bending the rules to the enth degree (and maybe a bit further into a very grey area). The question of Draft Tampering has certianly been raised by many football commentators. The questions that have been raised have been legitimate questions to the point that the AFL sent a memo out to ALL clubs on the matter.

For mine, the ONLY reason that commentators have NOT come out and said that it is deliberate Draft Tampering is because they do not have 100% proof and are chyt scared of being sued !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
markp
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
GeorgeYoung27 wrote:
It's called bending the rules to the enth degree (and maybe a bit further into a very grey area). The question of Draft Tampering has certianly been raised by many football commentators. The questions that have been raised have been legitimate questions to the point that the AFL sent a memo out to ALL clubs on the matter.

For mine, the ONLY reason that commentators have NOT come out and said that it is deliberate Draft Tampering is because they do not have 100% proof and are chyt scared of being sued !!
By the AFL's definition, merely attempting to hinder the natural operation of the draft is draft tampering... outcome is irrelevant.

But if a player one club suggested it was willing to use at least as low as pick 11 on, ends up going for pick 30, then it's not exactly a stretch to suggest that something pretty fishy has gone on.

suss
Club Player

markp wrote:
Eastern wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
GeorgeYoung27 wrote:

By the AFL's definition, merely attempting to hinder the natural operation of the draft is draft tampering... outcome is irrelevant.

But if a player one club suggested it was willing to use at least as low as pick 11 on, ends up going for pick 30, then it's not exactly a stretch to suggest that something pretty fishy has gone on.
Just because it's not draft tampering doesn't mean it's not dog's act. It sounds like there are several club's willing to pay his price and deal with him in good faith and he won't show them enough respect to return their phone calls.

He sounds like a spoilt little prick to me.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
markp wrote:
Eastern wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
GeorgeYoung27 wrote:

Just because it's not draft tampering doesn't mean it's not dog's act. It sounds like there are several club's willing to pay his price and deal with him in good faith and he won't show them enough respect to return their phone calls.

He sounds like a spoilt little prick to me.
Sounds like a guy that would rather play with a certain club to me. Very smart thinking but will not come off as another club will draft him.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

who does Jon Ralph barrack for???????

pheww does he have it on for the Saints........ give me Robbo- he atleast admitted the Ball saga is getting boring....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:who does Jon Ralph barrack for???????

pheww does he have it on for the Saints........ give me Robbo- he atleast admitted the Ball saga is getting boring....
I threw something at the car radio whilst listening to it!

He's just rewritten history in his synopsis of what happened.
Between him and Matt Thompson they've just spent 10 minutes bagging the Saints and Ross Lyon over this Luke Ball saga.
It might have been warranted if they'd actually did it on the back of some facts and not some'wishful thinking' or 'spoon fed bs' from Connors.

Fair Dinkum (to borrow a 'barksism'),
Ralph stated that
'Ball was called into Lyon's office at the end and told to leave becasue he wasn't in our best 22'.
'The Saints sacked Ball'.

We're all watching revisionist history as it's being written.

Then he started on the Club losing sight of it's 'core values' by getting rid of great guys like Ball and Goose and getting in Lovett.

After that I turned the radio off.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

He's called Jon Ralph because he's good at regurgitating bullshyt

Another opportunity awaits!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

thankgod I don't listen to that crap anymore, SEN have lost the plot.

Reminds me of the way the army goes about war reporting, you spew out so much information that the real stories get lost.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith