ND- Delisted Nominees

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

ND- Delisted Nominees

Here's the final list of delisted players who have nominated for the National Draft.

A few there that I'd be interested in for our last 2 picks or PSD-

Luke Ablett (Sydney Swans), Jarryd Allen (St Kilda), Luke Ball (St Kilda), Jordan Bannister (Carlton), Adam Bentick (Carlton), Ryan Brabazon (Sydney Swans), Simon Buckley (Melbourne), Chris Bryan (Collingwood), Adam Campbell (Fremantle), Cameron Cloke (Carlton), Scott Clouston (Brisbane Lions), Eljay Connors (St Kilda), Mark Coughlan (Richmond), Jake Edwards (Carlton), Leigh Fisher (St Kilda), Andrew Foster (Fremantle), Greg Gallman (Adelaide), Jonathan Giles (Port Adelaide), Nick Gill (Adelaide), Scott Harding (Brisbane Lions), Daniel Harris (North Melbourne), Rhan Hooper (Brisbane Lions), Nick Lower (Port Adelaide), Aaron Kite (Adelaide), Matthew Laidlaw (Sydney Swans), Malcolm Lynch (Western Bulldogs), Dan McKenna (Geelong Cats), Jamie McNamara (West Coast), Matt Maguire (St Kilda), John Meesen (Melbourne), Michael Newton (Melbourne), Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls (Richmond), Daniel O’Keefe (Sydney Swans), Guy O’Keefe (Western Bulldogs), Paul O’Shea (Western Bulldogs), Adam Pattison (Richmond), Kayne Pettifer (Richmond), Sam Power (North Melbourne), Dean Putt (Richmond), Matt Riggio (North Melbourne), Russell Robertson (Melbourne), Jason Roe (Brisbane Lions), Scott Simpson (Geelong Cats), Wayde Skipper (Western Bulldogs), Jesse Smith (North Melbourne), Danny Stanley (Collingwood), Kane Tenace (Geelong Cats), Mitchell Thorp (Hawthorn), Matthew Tyler (Brisbane Lions), Cameron Wight (Western Bulldogs), John Williams (Essendon), Michael Wundke (North Melbourne).

If the rumour that St Kilda was sniffing around Nathan Brown was correct then Robbo would have to be considered. I rate him higher than Brown, especially considering injuries, and think he has been unfairly maligned by some. Playing for a terrible side, he looked gone. In a very good side he'd be a very good player.

Best draft outcome for me;

1st pick- Best kid available
2nd pick- Mitch Thorp
3rd pick/PSD- Russell Robertson.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mitch Thorp is offically a wanker. Russell Robertson cannot play the style we require. Lets get 3 young players and develop them ourselves.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Some people on here seem to be fixated on Robbo.

While it would be totally unfair to describe him as a "hack", I'm pretty confident that - if he had been on our list over the past 7 or so seasons - he would have notched up well over 100 games playing for the Scorpions and the Zebras.

Even though the Demons beat us at a momentary low point in the 2006 EF, the fact of the matter is that they have progressively declined over the decade and are now basically the pits. Meanwhile, we have been on an upward trajectory since 2001 and are now one of the top 3-4 clubs by any indicator.

Robbo's competitiveness and work ethic made him a standout at the Demons. But it isn't hard to stand out in the middle of a desert.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Jarryd Allen? Am I missing something?

Edit: It's okay, I saw the other thread. Still seems random...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
bob__71
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Mitch Thorp is offically a wanker. Russell Robertson cannot play the style we require. Lets get 3 young players and develop them ourselves.
Mitch is that you?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: ND- Delisted Nominees

One of the most talent-laden national drafts for delisted players in recent memory. Interesting, because this is meant to be a weak draft.

Players I'm interested in:

Very interested and would happily recruit with our second pick (#32):
Jesse Smith (North Melbourne) - likely to be gone inside top 25.

Would consider with our 4th round pick (#60):
None. Much prefer to grab a 'slider' here - there's always a few.

Would consider with our other 4th round pick (#64):
Simon Buckley (Melbourne) may come into contention here if the talent pool is that thin.

Would consider with late pick our above (#80 or rookies):
Scott Harding (Brisbane Lions) or Rhan Hooper (Brisbane Lions) (though both would require intense evaluation)
Kane Tenace (Geelong Cats)
Matt Maguire (St Kilda Saints)
Mitchell Thorp (Hawthorn)

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:Mitch Thorp is offically a wanker. Russell Robertson cannot play the style we require. Lets get 3 young players and develop them ourselves.
Lots of very good AFL footballers are wankers. Some of our favorites are straight up tools. Thorp's delisting may be the ego deflated he needs.

I disagree with Robbo. We need 3rd forward that can;

a) provide an alternative marking option to take the heat off Roo.
b) be a reliable kick at goal
c) apply defensive pressure.

C is the issue with Robbo but it was also the issue with a number of St Kilda players prior to the 2009 season. Ross has managed to turn a weakness into a strength.

Personally I don't really care if Robbo gets picked up or not. I made the comment after reading that St Kilda were interested in Nathan Brown. Pick 80 or whatever it is is a highly speculative pick and IMO Robbo would at least provide us with a marking option who kicks goals. Enough in my book.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
Lots of very good AFL footballers are wankers. Some of our favorites are straight up tools. Thorp's delisting may be the ego deflated he needs.

Not mention that some who are "goody two shoes" Like L Ball walk out on their clubs.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintbob
SS Life Member

Our 1st Pick should be used to get the best available kid we can get!!!

Wouldn't mind either of these guys, if there still about when we get the chance later in the draft.

J. Smith

M.Coughlin

M.Thorpe

undecided
Club Player

Not McNamara. He dkoesnt onow what way to kick.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:One of the most talent-laden national drafts for delisted players in recent memory. Interesting, because this is meant to be a weak draft.

Simon Buckley (Melbourne) may come into contention here if the talent pool is that thin.

Scott Harding (Brisbane Lions) or Rhan Hooper (Brisbane Lions) (though both would require intense evaluation)
why do harding and hooper need "intense evaluation" - (whatever the f*ck that is?) and not mitch thorp?

is this a race thing?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:why do harding and hooper need "intense evaluation" - (whatever the f*ck that is?) and not mitch thorp?

is this a race thing?
You better be very, very careful with statements like Con. You might feel like an Internet hero by making those statements but it's certainly not worth the trouble.

I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

FWIW, Hooper and Harding are hugely talented players who seem to have been delisted for non-football reasons.

Mitch Thorp has barely made it onto the park due to injury as distinct from non-football related reasons. He may well have issues, but I think his biggest problem is related to injuries.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
evertonfc wrote:One of the most talent-laden national drafts for delisted players in recent memory. Interesting, because this is meant to be a weak draft.

why do harding and hooper need "intense evaluation" - (whatever the f*ck that is?) and not mitch thorp?

is this a race thing?
Harding is as white as me from what we were told early in the year so I fail to see what you are saying.