nothing to show

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: nothing to show

gosainters66 wrote:luke ball and matty maquire gone and nothing to show for them , i'm dissapointed to say the least , could have been handled better imo

in ball's case i'm glad the club took a principled stand not to be bent over by collingwood.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:I don't know where people get this pick 25 (not 26) from. Collingwood's first pick is #30. I don't go for the story that Collingwood were going to trade with Nth Melb for it. THEY DIDN'T, therefore they DIDN'T HAVE IT TO TRADE WITH !!
North Melbourne had pick 21 and pick 25 in their hands.
The Bulldogs had said they would accept nothing less than pick 21 for Andejs Everitt.
Collingwood offered Wellingham and pick 30 to North Melbourne.
North laughed and told Collingwood no way Sharrod Wellingham improved pick 30 to pick 21.

Then the Bulldogs took Everitt off the table.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Eastern wrote:I don't know where people get this pick 25 (not 26) from. Collingwood's first pick is #30. I don't go for the story that Collingwood were going to trade with Nth Melb for it. THEY DIDN'T, therefore they DIDN'T HAVE IT TO TRADE WITH !!
North Melbourne had pick 21 and pick 25 in their hands.
The Bulldogs had said they would accept nothing less than pick 21 for Andejs Everitt.
Collingwood offered Wellingham and pick 30 to North Melbourne.
North laughed and told Collingwood no way Sharrod Wellingham improved pick 30 to pick 21.

Then the Bulldogs took Everitt off the table.
But somehow St Kilda is at fault for this. :roll:

ace
Saintsational Legend

If Collingwood does end up with Luke Ball, it will only prove that the born-to-rule clubs can still tamper with the draft with immunity.

This time by having the player demand only a trade to one club, shunning all others, and that club then refusing to trade fairly.
The player having made his destination clear to all, then nominates for the draft but blatantly refuses to talk to any other clubs.

I hope Ball and Collingwood's connivance backfires and Ball ends up at Fremantle.
They both deserve each other.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If Brisbane can fit him in, I think he will end up there....

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:If Collingwood does end up with Luke Ball, it will only prove that the born-to-rule clubs can still tamper with the draft with immunity.

This time by having the player demand only a trade to one club, shunning all others, and that club then refusing to trade fairly.
The player having made his destination clear to all, then nominates for the draft but blatantly refuses to talk to any other clubs.

I hope Ball and Collingwood's connivance backfires and Ball ends up at Fremantle.
I wonder if Ball has refused (will refuse) to undergo any testing (medical/fitness) for any Club other than Collingwood?

If so, will any CLub take him without actually knowing what his condition is?

St Kilda would have record on his medical condition (fitness). Are they obliged to ahd them over to Luke Ball? Whose property are they?
Can they hand them over to other Clubs should they ask for them?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
ace wrote:If Collingwood does end up with Luke Ball, it will only prove that the born-to-rule clubs can still tamper with the draft with immunity.

I wonder if Ball has refused (will refuse) to undergo any testing (medical/fitness) for any Club other than Collingwood?

If so, will any CLub take him without actually knowing what his condition is?

St Kilda would have record on his medical condition (fitness). Are they obliged to ahd them over to Luke Ball? Whose property are they?
Can they hand them over to other Clubs should they ask for them?
Medical records (those held by the club doctor) can NOT be handed over to anyone under the Medical Confidentiallity laws (I am pretty sure the doctor is not even allowed to hand them over to Luke). Records kept by the club physiotherapists could be classified as Medical Records (I don't know. Might need a Lawyer for that one). Records kept by the fitness staff (Dave Misson etc) would be the property of the club and that is a different story !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

spert
Saintsational Legend

I suppose one of our acknowleged problems for quite a few years now is the lack of goal kicking output and lack of penetration by foot from our midfield and onballers. RL couldn't carry Hayes, NDS and Ball together in the one team and as Hayes and NDS are really performing well in most areas, that leaves Ball who is further behind in the footskills area, and hasn't got the breakaway speed around the contests that is needed for a small in the current game. That leaves Ball in a position where he just can't demand a big price tag anymore, or demand guaranteed game time - and I'm sure RL would have made it pretty clear, so the two parties would never be able to agree.

aussiejones
Club Player

Well said.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How has the club done well?????

Getting pick #60
for
Luke Ball - 25yo 140 games
X.Clarke - 25yo 105 games
M.Maguire - 25yo 99 games

all potentially 5-7 years left....

Collingwood, Brisbane and Carlton have done well........not sure the logic on us doing well is, love someone to explain it to me......some people are that gullable it amazes me...FFS

My idea of doing well is
1-keeping the player
2-getting fairly compensated for the player

which did we achieve

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Pick 60 = Daniel Harris who is Luke Balls equal

Another opportunity awaits!
older saint
SS Life Member

[quote="BigMart"]How has the club done well?????

Getting pick #60
for

Collingwood, Brisbane and Carlton have done well........not sure the logic on us doing well is, love someone to explain it to me......some people are that gullable it amazes me...FFS

Maguire 0 games in 2009, 5 games 2008 (i think) not guaranteed to be picked up by anyone else and major questions over agility after injury.

X Clarke -missed partof preseason and all 2009 injured, only played a small part of 2008 due to injury. Has not been able to string a lot of games together now for over 4 seasons. Best was good not great and long time ago.

Ball - did not want to be part of the club. Club made decision to mot make another challanger stronger to StKilda's detrament. Even if he ends up at Collingwood better to save $ than be stuck depth player (s).

Take the names and where they were drafted out of it and 2 decisions were reasonable and Ball left so Stkilda had no choice.

Too many people getting stuck on emotion and not facts.
Last edited by older saint on Wed 11 Nov 2009 11:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:How has the club done well?????

Getting pick #60
for

My idea of doing well is
1-keeping the player

which did we achieve
1, Noone ever mentions salary cap issues when they start these comparisons. How are we after the above compared to before? Ill guess better off. Gotta include both sides in an equation. Might mean we can have a dip at someone in the PSD now that we couldmt before. Better come back to your comparision then eh?

2. Goose was delisted so Im not quite sure how he fits in to trade disscussions. Might as well chuck Choo Choo and Eljay in there as well. They had years left too

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Moccha, how do you conclude that Daniel Harris is Luke Ball's equal? Even he would not believe that.

Milton66
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:How has the club done well?????

Getting pick #60
for

My idea of doing well is
1-keeping the player

which did we achieve
Now compare this year with how well we've done since 07 and tell me how badly it is. :roll:

And don't let the salalry cap get in the way of your logic either... nor the fact that Goose no longer fits the style we play, or Ball for that matter. X was offered 1 year IIRC, but wanted more security.

Apart from Ball, we came within a kick of winning a flag without the others playing a single match.

I think you're over valuing their worth based on performances of a bygone era.

Where you kicking up a stink when another top 5 draft pick who turned out to be a gop with 150 games got delisted last year?

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

He gets the hard ball, he's probably a better kick and would be as fast. Luke Balls is no gun and neither is Harris. Everyone has been waiting for Ball to get over his OP and he still hasn't and chances are that he won't so on current terms they're at about the same level

Another opportunity awaits!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Still no one has explained to me how we have done well....

Carlton - M.Maguire for Zero (and they wanted him)
Collingwood - L.Ball for Zero
Brisbane - X.Clarke for next to Zeroh

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Still no one has explained to me how we have done well....

Given that the draft hasn't actually taken place how is it that Carlton has Maguire and Collingwood has Ball?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

Given that the draft hasn't actually taken place how is it that Carlton has Maguire and Collingwood has Ball?
Good question?

And just because someone wants them does that mean they are any good?

Carlton wanted Ackland. Collingwood wanted Woewodin.

As for 5-7 years left pfft :roll:

X didn't play a game and has been injury prone for years, same with Goose.

Ball is a loss but can adequately be covered by our recruits and players already there (Armo for example).

We got Lovett and Peake that are easily on a par with Ball and X.

We got Tommy Walsh whom is no more a risk than a young recruit and has enornous upside for nothing.

We have much more in the SC because we dont have Ball or Maguire or X so we may have a go at another uncontracted player. You dont seem to want to acknowledge this for some reason???????????

Personally I dont think this trading period has been on a par with the very good trading periods in RL's first two years, however it is not all doom and gloom as you want us to believe.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

We got salary cap space

Maguire and Clarke did not even play this year

As for Ball we have a ready made replacement - we didn't need to trade to replace him

And again we have got salary cap space which we can fill at a later date with something that might improve us rather than what Collingwood were offering which didn't suit our needs once we recruited Lovett and Peake

If we can win the Premiership next year with significant room left in our salary cap other clubs are going to be crapping themselves considering we could strengthen ourselves further in 2011

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

joffaboy wrote:
We have much more in the SC because we dont have Ball or Maguire or X so we may have a go at another uncontracted player. You dont seem to want to acknowledge this for some reason???????????
But once again this is an assumption about contracts that we have no idea about.
Could be that the players mentioned above had to take paycuts due to buying Lovett and Peake?????????? We dont know

Seeya
Milton66
SS Life Member

Fact or opinion, X aside?

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

What have we got to show...how about a little self respect, some integrity, and finally a club where no individual is greater than the team? 8-)

groupie1
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:The club are actually able to make mistakes and people are actually able to say they did poorly out of it. No onw wanted Goose so no error there but if Bally ends up at the pies and yes it is hindsight if that happens but to not get pick 25 when we wanted 21 would be an error on the clubs behalf.

I am sorry if this upsets people who think the club can do no wrong but if someone said to you 10 weeks ago in the same season you will lose Bally, goose and X for pick 60 everyone on here would be using that great word, troll.
I farkin said ten weeks ago that in the same season we would lose Bally, goose and X for pick 60, and everyone on here called me a troll.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
DWOODROW
Club Player

Losing these players for nothing is a bit much IMO. It opens up the opportunity for players like ARMO, geary, and steven to break into the team and start their careers. We havn't got nothing. In the way of a swap maybe but in the way of opportunity I think we have a lot to look forward to.